Author Topic: Appraiser?  (Read 1166 times)

Offline mrsmaz

• New Egg
Appraiser?
« on: June 07, 2023, 02:22:45 PM »
I am brand new to the group.  My husband passed away in October and has 5 motorcycles.  One is a 1974 V7 Sport.  As far as I know, at least since we’ve been together since 1995, he never rode it.  He has the original gas tank in perfect condition, plus a new one as well.  He also has new exhaust pipes that are stored in a tote.  I’m looking to get help with an appraisal or price point to sell.  I’m located in SE Wisconsin.  If anyone can help, I’d appreciate it because I know pretty much nothing about the bike except what I can see.  Mileage is a little over 12,000 Thanks

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
Re: Appraiser?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2023, 04:29:53 PM »
Welcome and sorry for your loss.
Thats worth some precious dough so don’t just sell it to the first guy to offer money. There’s some good guys on here in Wisconsin, I hope you get contacted by one of them.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2023, 04:30:40 PM by fotoguzzi »
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2023, 04:36:47 PM »
Without at least some good clear pictures it will be had to place a value on it in the blind. As is a couple thousand dollars with some more information possibly 10's of 1000's of dollars?
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2023, 05:49:00 PM »
It is with respect to everyone who reads this.
I suggest mrsmaz that any offer you receive should be published here on WildGuzzi, if you want to prevent yourself from being cheated. I don’t think anyone here would attempt to buy the bike for anything less than it’s true worth, especially given the circumstances under which it became available.
A V7 Sport is a desireable bike in the eyes of most and I am sure it will go to a good home.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2023, 05:49:00 PM »

Offline mrsmaz

• New Egg
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2023, 08:39:28 AM »
Here are pictures.  Obviously the gas tank isn’t on the bike, but I do have the original and a spare.  Also have brand new exhaust pipes that were never installed.

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2023, 08:42:19 AM »
I DROOL!
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

czakky82

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2023, 08:56:31 AM »
That’s a nice one.
Original paint? Was it restored? Any receipts for work/parts?

Im thinking low end $11k, high end (original paint, engine ready to ride) $15k.

I live in Iowa County work in Dane and might be able to take a look next week. Send me a PM if interested.

Edit: DO NOT TRY TO START THIS MOTORCYCLE, please.

Bill

« Last Edit: June 08, 2023, 09:06:16 AM by czakky82 »

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2023, 09:07:17 AM »

Hope more V7 guys chime in.  Those bikes sell in the low teens.  If it's original and as clean as it looks, it should bring a good price.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline scra99tch

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2023, 09:20:59 AM »
I agree low to mid teens.  Saw one go at auction in a little rougher shape for 12K about 12 years ago.  Believe it was one of the previous owners friends that bought it after he passed away money was going to his family. 
1974 Eldorado
2007 California Vintage

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2023, 09:37:46 AM »

Edit: DO NOT TRY TO START THIS MOTORCYCLE, please.

Bill
FYI, he says that because of possible chrome lining of the bores and if flaking can cause major damage in moments. Bill knows of what he speaks. I
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2023, 09:39:37 AM »
Mrsmaz, I would agree that your bike could be a low teens$$ bike in the approx $12k+/- range.  My opinion is only that.  Some may pay more or will only pay less. 

This is more information about not starting the motorcycle as is and why this advice is so important-

One detail you need to understand about these bikes.  The original engines had chrome plated cylinder bores. Over time, this chrome fails and is rubbed free by the pistons & rings to be mixed with the oil.  This can ruin the engine.   Depending upon when these repairs are made, a certain amount of parts must be inspected and replaced to address this problem.  All V7 Sports  require this service.

To achieve the highest sales price among knowledgeable Moto Guzzi buyers, you can either provide evidence that this service has been performed, have a qualified expert do the repairs or expect the matter to be a point of negotiation regarding sales price.   The cost to do these repairs will generally be at least $1200-$1500 (cost of parts only, not including labor) but can be even more if engine was operated extensively after the chrome bore cylinders failed.

If aftermarket parts were used, you will find a small block with name Gilardoni on the cylinder between the two bottom fins below the spark plug. See these two pics, with close-up of Gilardoni name in second pic

If original parts were redone or factory replacement parts were used for the repair, this name will probably not be found.  My V7 Sport has factory replacement cylinders that I purchased in the early 1990’s.  They have no special marking,  neither do my original cylinders.

The engine can be checked as is by someone who is a competent mechanic.   

Not all buyers will expect these repairs to be done or even necessary, but some will.  If the repairs have been or are done, your selling price can probably be higher or it will sell faster at a fair price.  I just don’t want you to be taken advantage of by someone who argues that, without proof of these repairs being done, the motorcycle is only worth a fraction of your asking price.

My name is Clint Button and landline number is (864) 814-6418. I’ve had my V7 Sport for over 30 years.  I’m in SC so cannot provide any local resource and am not interested in purchasing but will be glad to provide any advice I can.  Good luck with the sale.

Edit- depending upon the condition, selling the spare tank separately is probably a better way to liquidate.  An excellent original tank may bring $1k. A truly brand new original tank may bring more.  If it’s in great shape inside, I would put the used tank on the bike to sell it and sell the new tank (if it’s truly NOS, meaning new old stock) separately.  You’ll probably make a lot more money.

The same goes for some of the extra new (?) exhaust parts.  I believe the head pipes and crossover are still available, at least reproduction.  But if that’s a correct original NOS silentium shark gill muffler for a V7 Sport and not a reproduction, it may be at least as valuable as the spare NOS gas tank. 
« Last Edit: June 08, 2023, 05:17:45 PM by cliffrod »
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2023, 10:26:56 AM »
FYI, just a clarification to what cliffrod said, the mileage has nothing to do with the chrome peeling. It could have 10 miles or 50,000 but they still need replacing. In addition restoring this bike takes a lot of labor and cash. There are very few  people interested in a job like this so be patient.
Please take advantage of his offer of free advice.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2023, 10:36:32 AM »
Since you are in SE WI, I would HIGHLY suggest you contact Joe Walano ("The Guzzi Doctor") in (Northern) Chicagoland.

If you can arrange a friend to load and transport the bike there (hell, Joe may even come get it), he is extremly knowledgable and can help you.

If repairs are needed, he can do it. He can appraise the bike, and also may be willing to take it on and assist in sale on consignment basis.

Probably best case he can get the bike to turn-key condition and sell it, taking a cut of the proceeds for the work.

Joe is a fair dealer and a nice guy. He's got a 4.9 google review rating for his shop FWIW

https://theguzzidoctor.com/

Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline bmc5733946

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2023, 10:54:45 AM »
There is a fella that works for Bonham's, the auction house, who is a certified appraiser named Tim Parker. Tim also goes by the name Laverda Tim in some circles. Might be worth reaching out.

Brian
1989 MILLE GT 
2004 BREVA 750     
1975  Convert

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2023, 11:00:39 AM »
Since you are in SE WI, I would HIGHLY suggest you contact Joe Walano ("The Guzzi Doctor") in (Northern) Chicagoland.

If you can arrange a friend to load and transport the bike there (hell, Joe may even come get it), he is extremly knowledgable and can help you.

If repairs are needed, he can do it. He can appraise the bike, and also may be willing to take it on and assist in sale on consignment basis.

Probably best case he can get the bike to turn-key condition and sell it, taking a cut of the proceeds for the work.

Joe is a fair dealer and a nice guy. He's got a 4.9 google review rating for his shop FWIW

https://theguzzidoctor.com/

Online Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2023, 11:02:47 AM »
That is a nice one. low to mid teens is abought right. Any provenance, history or receipts will only increase the value of your V7sport.
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Cal III Big Valve Hotrod
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
19?? Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2023, 11:03:12 AM »
This is the best info you have received. I don.t want test riders and scam artists trying to take advantage of you.
Tex

Online Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2023, 11:11:49 AM »
This is why I have a Dry Erase board hung in the garage with $$ amounts in case something happens to me. Tracy also has contacts of who to call. The Guzzi community is generally solid and upstanding. As in any group there will be a small few whose scruples are lacking.
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Cal III Big Valve Hotrod
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
19?? Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Offline testa_di_formaggio

• New Egg
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2023, 04:14:05 PM »
Hopefully the limbs are thick....I'll guess that the tank with the badges is the original one. Pretty clean choice paint, the white on the badges looks a might weak, faded a bit perhaps, no big deal, maybe just the lighting in the photo. That's why I think that's the original. I gotta believe a bike with the right side brake lever had badges. The last production Sports (and then for a while afterwards from Guzzi), Silentiums had the "bell" mouths, rather than the straight shin busters. I searched all over for those pieces back around "87 or '88, and they weren't to be had. I ended up having the original mufflers rust repaired, stripped, re chromed, and *re engraved*. Headpipes and crossover re chromed too. Had the spun metal reverse cone baffles repaired as well. Not cheap. Around 2000 I think, maybe a couple years later, Stucchi started doing some pretty good re pops of that stuff, and badgeless tanks. Stucchi's mufflers, as well as the rare, occasional original Silentium pairs I saw show up on the market, had those bell mouth ends.

So I'll bet the gent later picked up a tank, had it painted and decaled, and grabbed an exhaust system. Smart play. Up until Stucchi started making those pieces, I don't recall seeing anything else out on the market. I could be totally wrong, if someone has better info, let me know. Good stuff to keep track of.

A couple clues would be the size of the fuel filler in the tanks, the original would have a larger diameter, cap too. If I'm right, the replacement will be smaller diameter filler neck, like all the 850T's and subsequent bikes. Stucchi's filler necks on the re pops were the small diameter type I do recall. As to the exhaust, I don't think Stucchi's mufflers had the Silentium engraving. I think SilMotor was still in business, though they didn't or only on rare occasion made the mufflers anymore. And Stucchi was concerned about trademark violations. So look for engraving on the mufflers, my eyes aren't good enough to see any in the pictures.

I wish I could remember some of these particulars better, I should, I sold lots of these pieces. I do remember grabbing a few pairs of the bell mouth Silentiums that popped up in Germany back around 2010 I think. I figured those to be from some NOS stash over there in Europe.

If it were me, I'd put the original tank back on the bike, as well as the new exhaust system. Sell it as is. Whoever bites, can deal with the quite possible cylinder issue as others have noted. You could clean up the original exhaust, sell that off separately, as well as the new tank. That stuff should bring some pretty good cash. If the lady wants to contact me directly, she could do so by message, and I think I still have access to records back to around 2001, to see if the stuff was purchased from me. Might be possible, as I'm 100 miles west of Milwaukee. Of course if he did all this before '97, 1995 as she says, I'm all wet, sorry to waste the bandwidth.

Still would offer any knowledge I can, and no, I have no interest in the bike. Quite honestly, my interest is to see what it all goes for. I have two Sports I plan to unload, though certainly not as nice as this one. And various spares. It would be good info to see what I might ask for the stuff. That and the two pairs of V7 Sport Gilardonis.....

T d F   

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2023, 05:39:28 PM »
I am sorry for your loss.  My wife will probably be in the same situation if I pass first.  The v7 Sport is a beautiful and iconic bike and your husband had good taste.   I drove 24 hours round trip to Toronto to find the one I wanted.  If you go on BringaTrailer and put Moto Guzzi in the search box you can see past sales and look at pictures.  You can also sign up to the Mecum site at no charge and see past sales.  That should give you some idea of value. The important points are completeness, originality and condition of the sheet metal.  Dittos on not attracting it.  If you or someone tries to run it it will drive away any serious knowledgeable buyers. You shouldn’t break the bike up or sell the new exhaust separately unless someone offers you an ungodly sum. The shark gill mufflers are not obtainable new at this point. Buyers on this site are notoriously cheap so please don’t think that a lack of response on the for sale section here is an indicator of value. Finally, if you have the ability to take a lot of good pictures and have the stomach for the roller coaster ride, BringaTrailer can get some great prices for high quality bikes. It has great exposure but they will try to convince you to sell no reserve.  Maybe not a good idea in your case.  Best wishes to you and your family.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline adaven

• 2024 Board Donor
  • Hatchling
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2023, 06:44:43 PM »
My condolences as well. There is a ton of information here that I am sure is overwhelming. I think that your most efficient way to get accurate information is to take czakky up on his offer. He's got a ton of experience and is well respected here on the forum. It's at least worth a PM.
Best of luck

czakky82

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2023, 08:51:35 PM »
I talked to Mrsmaz earlier and sounds like she may be reaching out to Joe W.
She was pretty happy with the response she received from the forum!

Good job guys!

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2023, 09:27:33 PM »
 :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: on Joe Walano.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Online Tkelly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2023, 07:01:13 AM »
She contacted me a couple of weeks ago and I told her about the chrome issues and gave her a ballpark estimate.Someone from our club was apparently going to look at the bike but that didn’t happen so she asked me for advice and I suggested.she try WG.Good suggestion to try the Guzzi Doctor as he is probably less than an hour away.

guido guzzi

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2023, 07:49:50 AM »
I'm sorry for your loss but happy you have reached out and gotten good advice so far.
Regarding the tanks, the one with the metal badges is 99% the original as 1974 models came with those whereas the earlier ones had decals.
The other one appears to be an earlier type - having decals, the large filler hole and the hinge for the cap is at the front - it does not appear to be a later reproduction.
Unfortunately I am not a buyer for this bike but I'm in Brookfield (WI) and happy to help in any way.
John Wendt

Offline testa_di_formaggio

• New Egg
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2023, 12:39:14 PM »
"the large filler hole and the hinge for the cap is at the front - it does not appear to be a later reproduction."

John, if that tank does have the larger filler, requiring the different gasket plate on the cap, yeah, that's NOS. The opening on top of the tank is the same between a Sport and a LeMans, the difference is the insert or baffle or neck, whatever you want to call it that sits down into the tank. I just checked one of each to confirm it. Also, Stucchi's repros were true to the cap mount hinge front for V7 Sport. His did have the later filler neck though. I heard the Sport tanks called "ball grabbers" a few times. FWIW, we got $1400 for a NOS LeMans tank back 25 years ago. If that thing is in fact NOS, it will bring a tidy penny as Gene Hackman would say.

T d F

Offline drdwb

• Gaggle Hero
    • backfeelsgreat.com
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2023, 02:54:55 PM »
You guys that answered prove that this is indeed a good family to be a part of. Thank you for doing your best to help her. I would hope if and when that day arrives my wife finds herself in Mrsmaz’s position she checks in her first to find new homes for our Guzzi’s.
Mrsmaz you have my sympathies, good luck finding a good home for your husband’s treasures.
07 Norge, 05 Baby Breva, 04 Stone  Touring , 03 EV, 82 650 Maxim 79 XS750 Special 78XS1100 Teraplane side car

guido guzzi

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2023, 04:35:29 PM »
"the large filler hole and the hinge for the cap is at the front - it does not appear to be a later reproduction."

John, if that tank does have the larger filler, requiring the different gasket plate on the cap, yeah, that's NOS. The opening on top of the tank is the same between a Sport and a LeMans, the difference is the insert or baffle or neck, whatever you want to call it that sits down into the tank. I just checked one of each to confirm it. Also, Stucchi's repros were true to the cap mount hinge front for V7 Sport. His did have the later filler neck though. I heard the Sport tanks called "ball grabbers" a few times. FWIW, we got $1400 for a NOS LeMans tank back 25 years ago. If that thing is in fact NOS, it will bring a tidy penny as Gene Hackman would say.

T d F

:thumb:

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2023, 03:05:23 PM »
I have restored a couple V7 Sports, I currently have a friends 1973 V7 Sport in my shop for cylinder replacement.
You have a nice original V7 Sport, original rear shocks, intact signal lights and good gauges. Nice restored V7 Sports can fetch $18 - $20K.
As it sits I would place the value at $11 - $13K.
48 Guzzi Airone, 57 Guzzi Cardellino, 65 Benelli 200 sprite, 66 Aermacchi Sprint, 68 Gilera 106 SS, 72 Eldorado, 72 Benelli 180, 74 Guzzi 750S, 73 Laverda SF1, 74  Benelli 650S, 75 Ducati 860GT, 75 Moto Morini 3-1/2, 78 Moto Morinii 500

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here