Author Topic: Spark plugs  (Read 4957 times)

Offline commander

• New Egg
Spark plugs
« on: February 22, 2019, 06:10:27 AM »
Hello what is a good spark plug for a 75 850T , brand and number, thanks.
Forgot, were can i get some idle jets for the stock carbs ?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 06:13:39 AM by commander »

Online Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Spark plugs
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 06:16:36 AM »
NGK B6ES for a ‘83 850 <shrug>
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 09:54:21 AM by Guzzistajohn »
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 07:28:39 AM »
I don't use NGK , Champion N4's or N9YC  jet's & carb parts from Herdan in Port Clinton, PA or MG Cycle
Herdan is a DelOrto importer
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline F-22

• Hatchling
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 08:00:06 AM »
I was told by many people to not even consider anything but NGK in a vintage air cooled engine. Not only for bikes, but also air cooled VWs supposedly work best with NGK plugs. For Guzzis I think B7ES or B6ES are correct. Don't buy the BR version (e.g. BR7ES). It has a resistor and is only suitable for modern electronic ignitions. The vanadium or platinum plugs are also all the resistor type and shouldn't be used on vintage bikes.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 08:00:06 AM »

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2019, 08:12:52 AM »
The only plugs I use are NGK! Never a single issue in the last 20 years.  :rolleyes:

Commander: NGK BP6ES. Jets are just a few clicks away: http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=62&products_id=628 If the #50 isn't the size you desire, click around in the carb section to find others.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 08:13:30 AM by Antietam Classic Cycle »
Charlie

Offline acogoff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2019, 08:41:39 AM »
     Ditto- NGK BP6ES. 
'77850t3FB Owned since it was new
Marshall County Minnesota USA

Offline Aldo

• Gaggle Mentor
  • "Ton-Up"
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2019, 08:47:15 AM »
+1 on the NGK BP6ES.  That is all I have ever used on my Tonti Guzzi's.
'19 RE Interceptor, 98' Cali EV, 95 Duc 900SS
GONE: '72 Eldo,'75 Convert,'04 Thruxton,'89 Guzzi Cafe,'99 Duc 900SS,'79 Guzzi 1000 'SP'ort,'14 Harley '48','12 V7 Stone,'72 Benelli 650S,'82 Guzzi 1000SP,'72 N. Falcone,'75 T3 850,'00 V11S,'78LeMans 1,'89 LeMans,'76 Morini 350S,'89 Duc 750S,'01 Kaw W650

Online Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2019, 09:21:33 AM »
Used NGK since the BULTACO days- No issues
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2019, 10:14:27 AM »
They allways turned to crap for me, especially if gas wet fouled. Plus I could get champs at Farm&Fleet for $1
NGKs I use in newer Guzzi's 06-on.

Years ago we used to say it stood for NoGoodKrap
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 10:24:01 AM by guzzisteve »

Offline Don G

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2019, 11:11:04 AM »
I agree with Guzzisteve , found that some bikes don't like NGK, especially the old Brits, put in two new NGK's shortly there after you will have a single cylinder twin , must be due to carburation with the sloppy Amals , Champions were far more tolerant.  DonG
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 11:12:06 AM by Don G »

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2019, 12:08:36 PM »
The only plugs I use are NGK! Never a single issue in the last 20 years.  :rolleyes:

Me, too. I have an aircraft spark plug tester that I have made an adapter for automotive plugs. The "only" plugs I've tested that were dead out of the box were Champion. (2 of em)
BTW, they will perfectly mimic a failing coil. Don't ask me how I know..  :evil:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2019, 12:24:18 PM »
It used to be that Champions were more prone to stripping threads as well. IIRC, it was due to rolled threads vs. cut threads.

If a customer doesn't want/like NGKs, then Bosch gets the nod.
Charlie

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2019, 02:48:52 PM »
Me, too. I have an aircraft spark plug tester that I have made an adapter for automotive plugs. The "only" plugs I've tested that were dead out of the box were Champion. (2 of em)
BTW, they will perfectly mimic a failing coil. Don't ask me how I know..  :evil:
AND those are ones for a Lario, they are junk in that size. I used NGK's in them. I used Accel, ND, Bosch, Beru, I tried all sorts.

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2019, 04:08:59 PM »
What is the problem with running the NGK plugs with the platinum, or whatever it is center electrode? I have those in my cal II, and Lemans which both have the dyna III ignition, and 5 ohm  Dyna coils. I have not had any issues, or noticed any difference in mileage, or the way the bikes perform, with those plugs.
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2019, 04:39:59 PM »
I agree with Guzzisteve , found that some bikes don't like NGK, especially the old Brits, put in two new NGK's shortly there after you will have a single cylinder twin , must be due to carburation with the sloppy Amals , Champions were far more tolerant.  DonG

My vintage Triumph land speed racer set several national speed records on NGK plugs...My vintage Triumph street bike as well as most guys I know of with Brit bikes use NGK's...........This NGK #9 Competition plug is from my naked frame 650 Triumph when it ran 133.2 mph

I would like to know what makes brand A better than brand B in certain engines...

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2019, 07:26:08 PM »
What is the problem with running the NGK plugs with the platinum, or whatever it is center electrode? I have those in my cal II, and Lemans which both have the dyna III ignition, and 5 ohm  Dyna coils. I have not had any issues, or noticed any difference in mileage, or the way the bikes perform, with those plugs.
Rick.

Nothing wrong with them except they are mondo expensive. (Guzzi content) They *will* last a long time. We were in the pits with the Guzzi race bike Jim Baron was working on. He gave the Kid a pair of those to put in. Brad gave him the WTF look. Jim said, "I know, there is no performance gain, but the owner wants them in there."
He told me that any time a plug comes out of a bike he's working on, a new one goes in.. so there is really no reason to put those expensive plugs in.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2019, 08:31:55 AM »
  I would like to know what makes brand A better than brand B in certain engines...

My Honda XL600 will foul an NGK, but Nippon Denso will run fine. The reason IMHO is that the heat ranges are not matched. The ND plug simply runs a touch hotter then the NGK, so it stays cleaner.

I had a cousin that worked for Champion for a long time. On his advice I avoid using Champion. I have also seen Champions were the ceramic fell apart inside the motor. NGK has always worked very well in my Guzzis.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline F-22

• Hatchling
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2019, 04:18:57 PM »
Rick.

Despite what the manufacturer may advertise, they do not make the spark any "stronger". They say they require less voltage. However, voltage is not power, as far as I know that just means it requires a lot more current to produce the same power. I guess it needs more current because the iridium or platinum does not conduct as well as the standard plugs?

Anyway, I will always advise against them on older bikes. They are far too expensive to justify for older bikes where there's a much higher chance of fouling them, in which case they're worthless no matter what the tips are made of...

Besides, I think all the iridium/platinum plugs on the market have a resistor built in. Okay for strong modern ignition, but as far as I know not great for older ignitions. Couple that with the 5k ohm resistor caps which are the most common today and owners often unknowingly make their ignition considerably weaker.

If the manual calls for these tipes of plugs, as is the case on many modern vehicles, you should use them (in those cases I think the stock ignition system is so strong it would require too frequent service intervals with standard plugs).
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 04:21:15 PM by F-22 »

Offline Furbo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2019, 01:53:26 PM »
Last time I was running 70's guzzi's I used the NGK BPR8ES or equivalent. (Autolite 63's came in a handy two pack!) It wasn't until I picked up the carb sport that I began using the BPR6ES, which is a hotter plug.

Oddly, Laverda were the only manufacturer that I knew that really made a stink about plugs....you simply MUST use the Champion N9YC!  :whip2: Failure to do so would cause the company to go out of business! ................So, I guess about a decade before I got my first 750SF, some  jackass stuck an NGK B9ES into his mill, and sure enough....poof.  :cry:
Killeen, TX
'96 Sport 1100
'72 N. Falcone
'72 Eldo

Eccl 9:9,10

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2019, 09:03:18 PM »
Funny, the plugs that require the most voltage to fire are recommended for vehicles with lower voltage ignition.
Copper plugs still have a nickel alloy center electrode. It is softer than platinum so it wears quicker. Platinum is harder than nickel so they can use a smaller diameter center electrode which requires lower voltage to fire.

Btw- multiple side electrodes do only one thing besides take your money. Since the spark will only jump to one electrode the side electrodes last longer.
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

Offline F-22

• Hatchling
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2019, 11:14:38 AM »
However, the side-electrode ones generally are not adjustable...

Like I wrote before, voltage is not power. If the spark has the same power, a plug that requires less voltage will also require more current. Not sure how this really translates to performance, I think most of those "better spark" claims are just some misleading advertisement. I think race bikes do not use iridium or platinum plugs.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 11:15:02 AM by F-22 »

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2019, 02:39:38 PM »
The platinum can hold a small, sharp, tip longer, so it tends to need less voltage over many miles. You get a spark at a lower voltage with a small area. A large spark plug tip will need a higher voltage.

Not saying it is worth anything. I only use them where the manufacturer says you need to. My 2 valve Guzzis always got simple NGK BPR6ES plugs.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Don G

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2019, 03:33:39 PM »
I noticed one time that a N3G Champion would make a bigger spark Kernel than a regular N3 plug, I observed this using my old Champion plug cleaner, so I guess the finer precious metal electrodes do produce a better spark.  DonG

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here