Author Topic: Riding a Pan America  (Read 9125 times)

oldbike54

Re: Riding a Pan America
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2021, 11:49:03 AM »
WTF?!?

The upkeep?

You mean changing oil, filters, and tires?

Cause that's all most of my Harleys have ever needed.

Most of my Guzzis have been MUCH NEEDIER!

It's all of the doo rags and T shirts  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline jguzzi

• Hatchling
  • 1971 Ambassador, MGNOC# 11324
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2021, 11:59:36 AM »
Agree with Kev and NCdan.  I bought a used 1200T a few years back mainly because I thought I should have one harley before I age out of riding....so glad I did.  For me the low seat height, bags, mid controls/pegs and the very nice (no vibrating) rubber mounted evo engine has been great.  And I like the tshirts too!  Along with my Guzzi ones of course.

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2021, 12:16:35 PM »
A HD salesman who ignores a rider coming in on a brand X bike is missing a good chance of selling a bike. Why would that rider be there, certainly not to buy something for his brand X or T shirts. When I took my V7 in for it's initial service I was given a Zero as a loaner for the day. I was shopping helmets that day and stopped by the Harley dealer. When they saw the Zero they started twisting my arm to take the Livewire out for a spin. I didn't, but I probably should have.

I wish Harley success with the PA. Kinds pricey but we knew that. They need to change course to some degree. I dumped my Twin Cam for the Audace. There were just too many shortcomings to continue to live with it. Things Guzzi does a much better job with. I wish we had the dealer support that Harley riders enjoy. I have a MG dealer fairly close but they are passable but a not so much of a pleasure to visit and just hangout like at a HD store.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2021, 12:19:44 PM »
Oh no.  First I have the audacity to willfully purchase a matt paint motorcycle (V7) and now I have to admit I stand on my pegs regularly on my motorcycles.   It does help my repaired knees and provides some welcomed fresh air but I was unaware it may be considered bad form.

I must be punished. 

Nice ride report.  I've enjoyed all 4 on my Harley bikes-prefer my Guzzis now but the memories are great.  Never left me by the road in over 200,000 miles.  I hope they do really well.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 12:21:09 PM by kingoffleece »
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2021, 12:19:44 PM »

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2021, 12:31:04 PM »
I've watched riders of large dual sport bikes stand up while riding one of the paved roads in the park where we have the Wild Guzzi rally . No , not a Guzzi rider  :laugh:

Dusty

Being able to comfortably stand on the pegs is just as important as a comfortable seat to me on my touring rigs. When I'm putting in big miles/long hours another position to change up to for a few miles is very welcome.

2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2021, 12:32:07 PM »
UGLY, they say.

Meh.  I have UGLY for you !
 :boozing: :boozing: :boozing:

« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 12:32:53 PM by kballowe »

oldbike54

« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2021, 12:36:20 PM »
Being able to comfortably stand on the pegs is just as important as a comfortable seat to me on my touring rigs. When I'm putting in big miles/long hours another position to change up to for a few miles is very welcome.

Fellas , it was meant as humor , remember humor . That said , if you stand up on your motorbike as soon as you let out the clutch in a city park , on smooth pavement , then I find it amusing . Kinda like the guys who ride around at 5 MPH with their legs dangling over forward mounted footpegs located so far forward their legs are straight out at a weird angle .

Dusty

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2021, 12:54:46 PM »
Fellas , it was meant as humor , remember humor . That said , if you stand up on your motorbike as soon as you let out the clutch in a city park , on smooth pavement , then I find it amusing . Kinda like the guys who ride around at 5 MPH with their legs dangling over forward mounted footpegs located so far forward their legs are straight out at a weird angle.

Behind many jokes is an amount of truth. Besides, it’s the internet; everything gets (sometimes unnecessarily) dissected. Like this:

Standing up at super slow speed is actually a very good exercise in balance. I recommend everyone start out like that  :grin:

Remember these machines serve as both tool and toy. Depending on the rider, the emphasis lies toward one end or the other.
Current: ‘16 Guzzi V7 II Stone, ‘78 BMW R80/7

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

oldbike54

« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2021, 01:00:10 PM »
Behind many jokes is an amount of truth. Besides, it’s the internet; everything gets (sometimes unnecessarily) dissected. Like this:

Standing up at super slow speed is actually a very good exercise in balance. I recommend everyone start out like that  :grin:

Remember these machines serve as both tool and toy. Depending on the rider, the emphasis lies toward one end or the other.

So is standing your head  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2021, 01:06:49 PM »
First review of the new Pan America I've read, and it was on Wildguzzi!?? :shocked: To borrow from the English, "I'm gobsmacked!"

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2021, 01:30:35 PM »
WTF?!?

The upkeep?

Perhaps so.  I see Harley Riders about 5 to 1 over the rest of us.  I always hear stories about big buck fixes, primaries, clutches, even tune-ups (which I don't understand given hydraulic lifters) but it's always something.  The Indian guys seem to be the proudest, love their bikes and no maintenance issues, lots of performance.   

So far as Guzzis, no argument from me.  Cracked GB housing on the Sport, weak oil pump in the EV. 

Given this, if you like the bike, the cost of ownership is just one consideration.  Even if I get a $400 bill for replacing an oil pump, remember, I spent $300 just for tires!
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2021, 01:41:34 PM »
i WAS joking............. .....
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2021, 01:52:37 PM »
WTF?!?

The upkeep?

Yeah, oil, filter, tires is about it on the HD's I've owned. And I'm within walking distance or a subway ride to the local dealer.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2021, 01:53:02 PM »
WTF?!?

The upkeep?

KevM what I meant was, accessories, parts, labor if you don’t do your own, insurance costs...etc.
No need to get mad.
inditx
inditx

This is the day.....

Offline inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2021, 01:54:11 PM »
It's all of the doo rags and T shirts  :laugh:

Dusty
:thumb:
inditx

This is the day.....

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2021, 02:02:34 PM »
KevM what I meant was, accessories, parts, labor if you don’t do your own, insurance costs...etc.
No need to get mad.
inditx

Not mad, just confused. But LABOR is the only thing I might believe here.

Because the accessories aren't any more than any other brand I've had. Hell, a lot is cheaper (since there's so much more competition).

Parts - nope, not more expensive. Again, compeition.

LABOR - well, I generally don't pay for that on any brand so I'll have to take your word, but I can't imagine Guzzi or BMW shops are generally cheaper..

INSURANCE?!?! - well I guess that varies, but the only reason my RK is more expensive to insure than my Stone or our Ducati RIGHT NOW is that it cost 2x as much as it is much newer. But, and how's this, our V7III is JUST as expensive to insure as the RK (even though it was half the cost) likely because it is newer.  But hell, full boat with accessory coverage etc all FOUR are only about $500/year total (as in just over 100/bike). So I don't get this one either.

Perhaps so.  I see Harley Riders about 5 to 1 over the rest of us.  I always hear stories about big buck fixes, primaries, clutches, even tune-ups (which I don't understand given hydraulic lifters) but it's always something.

Well,

1. "Hearsay"

2. The biggest problem with any Harley is its owner. I'm SURE there are huge bills to fix shit that people brake because they hop-up the damn things, sometimes within an inch of their lives, and then do stupid things with them from smokey burnouts to warming them up for 15 minutes. Like I said the biggest problem is the owner.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2021, 02:07:31 PM »
Can’t disagree with most of what you’ve said but more of my buddies ride Harleys and so I’m watching them shell out more than I would but I’m kinda tight anyway, GC.

I always say ride what ya like and like what ye ride.

p.s. My buddies don’t abuse their bikes and they are all garage queens.  :smiley:
inditx
inditx

This is the day.....

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2021, 02:08:30 PM »
2. The biggest problem with any Harley is its owner. I'm SURE there are huge bills to fix shit that people brake because they hop-up the damn things, sometimes within an inch of their lives, and then do stupid things with them from smokey burnouts to warming them up for 15 minutes. Like I said the biggest problem is the owner.

This!! Too many owners spend a fortune turning a dead-nuts reliable 60 to 70 hp Harley into a 100 hp hand-grenade. Completely pointless IMHO.  The only thing you can race a Harley against is another Harley.  After pissing away a lot of money I learned an important lesson from an old motorcycle racer, "Stock Is Trick!"

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2021, 02:11:27 PM »
Can’t disagree with most of what you’ve said but more of my buddies ride Harleys and so I’m watching them shell out more than I would but I’m kinda tight anyway, GC.

p.s. My buddies don’t abuse their bikes and they are all garage queens.  :smiley:
inditx

"Chrome don't getcha home...."

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2021, 02:47:24 PM »
I know everybody has their own experience with life, but I have had 4 moto Guzzi, all have been trouble free.  The one time I had trouble with my Bassa, was because of something I did, which later led to needing shop time to fix my screw up.  I currently have my B1100 with 49K, and everything works as it always has, and of course my much loved Roamer, only 5k, but a sweet 5k!
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2021, 04:38:10 PM »
All of my Harleys have been absolutely trouble free.

My Guzzis ?   hahahhaaa   no.

AND - I stand on the pegs at slow speed..... normally after I get rolling just enough to balance, and then to shake everything down.  Nothing worse than having the boys in a twist.  Well, Assuming I'm on one that HAS pegs.  Otherwise ya gotta wiggle and squirm until ya get situated.

:thumb:
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 04:39:03 PM by kballowe »

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
  • Eric - MGNOC NJ Rep - mgnocnj.forumotion.com
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2021, 05:11:20 PM »
I suspect that HD riders having issues may be like my former neighbor who was always complaining about the bike not running well. I think his issues arose from the bike sitting in his shed for weeks on end they being brought out for some bar hopping or puttering around town. He spent a lot of money a couple times a year having his bike 'fixed' at the dealer.

One day I offered to check it out for him. Pre-check the tires were both very low and the thing barely idled. I aired them up, replaced the bad gas and went for a blast on the highway. After about 20 minutes of running it hard it cleared up and ran pretty well. He took it for a ride soon after I dropped it off and wanted to know what I had done to make it run so well.

Dis-use might be the worst form of abuse.

The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2021, 05:12:23 PM »
Bloody good on them for giving the customer what they want..
They’ve been crawling up the collective arses of wanna’ be bad boys since Christ died, appealing to their “rebel” pretences. If that first review is ANYTHING to go by, it’s probably worth a second (or third), look.
I’ll bet my pushrods on the fact that HD will have the good sense to take heed of riders requests if this model run progresses. If there is a backlash to the styling, it will be progressively honed.
If Guzzi followed that lead, we’d have our liquid cooled Le Mans and the RBW abberation that plagues modern variants would be consigned to the rotten pasta bin...
Good on you Harley and piss those stupid cruiser things off. They look like something that was built on scrapyard challenge...
I’ve just had a look at a couple of the reviews.
I just sort of wish that the likes of this thing, could be offered with a lot less bells and whistles. A recurring sentiment I hear a lot, is riders wishing their bike had less technological intervention. It’s all good while it’s working, but just a pain in the arse a lot of the time and adds to the price.
I’ve nothing against development in brakes, fuelling, handling etc..
But variable ride modes and “wheelie control” on an off road bike with massive power and torque....FFS...!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 05:29:02 PM by Huzo »

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2021, 05:40:47 PM »
I hope HD does some sales training so their sales guys don't treat this bike the same as they did the V Rod and the Buells.  Or not!  At my age, I certainly have no interest in hearing either a good or bad sales pitch for HD's ADV effort.  I think BMW has had a lock on this segment since 1981, and will continue to do so.  2021 is the 40th anniversary of the GS series.

Bob

Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2021, 05:44:07 PM »
I have never been ignored at a dealership, unless I want to be.

I come in ready to talk about bikes.  I come in with a smile on my face and a hello for anyone not stuck on a phone or helping a customer.

I tell them if I am ready to buy, or if I am just there to see what's new.

I get more positive responses when I post photos of my Moto Guzzi on the Road Glide forum than when I post the same photos on this forum.

So, to the naysayers about how they are treated in dealerships, maybe it is you.   :undecided:
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2021, 05:44:13 PM »
I hope HD does some sales training so their sales guys don't treat this bike the same as they did the V Rod and the Buells.  Or not!  At my age, I certainly have no interest in hearing either a good or bad sales pitch for HD's ADV effort.  I think BMW has had a lock on this segment since 1981, and will continue to do so.  2021 is the 40th anniversary of the GS series.

Bob

I would guess with the downswing of Harley sales that there'll be lots of motivation to welcome new customers.  Just a guess.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2021, 05:50:47 PM »
I have never been ignored at a dealership, unless I want to be.

I come in ready to talk about bikes.  I come in with a smile on my face and a hello for anyone not stuck on a phone or helping a customer.

I tell them if I am ready to buy, or if I am just there to see what's new.

I get more positive responses when I post photos of my Moto Guzzi on the Road Glide forum than when I post the same photos on this forum.

So, to the naysayers about how they are treated in dealerships, maybe it is you.   :undecided:

well,   when the Buell Rotax bikes were being released, I went to the local Harley store.  I walked in and looked around and asked the sales lady when they might have the new bikes delivered.  She replied that "Buells are for people that like to ride 100 mph and have their ass in air."  I said "yeah."

Now, they did have some warranty work on those pipe frame Buells that they couldn't fix.  But they still had a Buell sign in front.
John L 

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2021, 05:57:45 PM »

well,   when the Buell Rotax bikes were being released, I went to the local Harley store.  I walked in and looked around and asked the sales lady when they might have the new bikes delivered.  She replied that "Buells are for people that like to ride 100 mph and have their ass in air."  I said "yeah."

Now, they did have some warranty work on those pipe frame Buells that they couldn't fix.  But they still had a Buell sign in front.

Your point?

You've never walked into any other type of dealership in your life and been blown off by a salesperson?  Ever? 

Did you ask where the owner was?  If a salesperson doesn't want to do their job, I ask for the owner or general manager. That is where you get the true feel for the business.  Not some person that might not even ride.  Sounds like you weren't really that interested. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline arveno

• Gaggle Hero
    • ddleathers.com
« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2021, 06:04:14 PM »
Hater will be hater....

to the OP , Thank you for the review , i am going to test ride one myself soon...not that i am going to buy it ( i am a COB ) LOL

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2021, 06:19:02 PM »
Hater will be hater....

to the OP , Thank you for the review , i am going to test ride one myself soon...not that i am going to buy it ( i am a COB ) LOL
Well said.
I like the look of that 997 cc (or whatever), motor.
The styling is a bit Kawasaki Versys, but noting a “facelift” wouldn’t fix.. :wink:

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here