Author Topic: G5 steering damper  (Read 268 times)

Offline JayDee24ca

• Gosling
G5 steering damper
« on: June 13, 2021, 08:07:09 PM »
I'd like to mount a fork damper on my G5, however the SPII fairing I am using interferes with mounting the damper on the lower triple clamp, which is where it was from the factory. My thoughts are to use a 35mm fork tube clamp and Install it there. Is there anything that screams hat this should not be done? Secondly, can someone point me to a source of aluminum 35mm clamps that would do this trick?
The reason I want to try the damper is that I get a bit of weave on high speed corners if there is any irregularity in the pavement, kind of a "squiffy" feeling, if you know what I mean. It's not there, under 80mph, but from 80 on up it gets worse.
JD
'74 Nuovo Falcone
'79 Convert
79 G5
the rest are all gone.....

Offline 1down5up

• Hatchling
Re: G5 steering damper
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2021, 08:59:46 PM »
I'm not sure what the SP2 had for a damper, but the 1000SP has a damper that fits under the fairing.

To be honest the guzzis don't need a damper, the wheelbase is long and forks not particularly steep. If you are getting weeve I'd be looking at your tyres and/or pressures, and possibly your rear shocks being under sprung or under dampened

Offline JayDee24ca

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2021, 09:07:19 PM »
Yeah, my take on it is the same as yours; dampers simply mask a symptom of something else. Still, the G5 was manufactured with one installed, so I thought I would see if it made any difference.
'74 Nuovo Falcone
'79 Convert
79 G5
the rest are all gone.....

Online bmc5733946

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2021, 09:44:05 PM »
Definitely made a difference on my Mille GT, seemed to kind of wallow in rough surface sweepers and also if disturbed at high speeds. Guzzi supplied dampers on bikes with fairings and provided mounting points on bikes that might get fairings installed. Knowing as we do that Moto Guzzi is a notoriously thrifty (cheap) concern, do you really think that they would supply dampers or mounting points for them if they were not needed? Of course you don't and niether do I !!! So mount a damper and try it out. Has added to my enjoyment of my Mille greatly!
Everyone's milage might vary. EMMV/YMMV

Brian
1989 MILLE GT 
2004 BREVA 750     
1975  Convert

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2021, 09:44:05 PM »

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here