Author Topic: Old bike, tracktime  (Read 1045 times)

Offline 73 sport

• Hatchling
Old bike, tracktime
« on: July 01, 2021, 09:12:16 PM »
   Hey Guys, I need the collective wisdom of the forum members. I just bought a '85 Guzzi, I think it has an automatic transmission. It has the original tires and shocks and I think they should be replaced because I want to do track time at Summit Raceway. I'd appreciate any input from you guys on my problem. My budget is $250.00, 300 max. I know I can depend on everyone to set me up properly. Thanx in advance.

Online Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Old bike, tracktime
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2021, 09:45:57 PM »
I know nothing about setting a bike up for the track, but model information and pictures will be very helpful. Best of luck with it.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2021, 05:57:29 AM »
   Hey Guys, I need the collective wisdom of the forum members. I just bought a '85 Guzzi, I think it has an automatic transmission. It has the original tires and shocks and I think they should be replaced because I want to do track time at Summit Raceway. I'd appreciate any input from you guys on my problem. My budget is $250.00, 300 max. I know I can depend on everyone to set me up properly. Thanx in advance.

Your problem is you're too cheap to do track days. Flush and bleed brakes with dot 4 or dot 5.1 (don't use 5). Yes get rid of the tyres limited choice in the sizes Avon Super Venom used to be the go to. Check swing arm bearing head stem bearings, wheel bearings, I'd also really recommend riding around on the road for a bit if its new to you and make sure nothing is on the edge of failure. Shock Ikon might do something really you need to get them sprung for you and the bikes weight. Although due to its weight and geometry its never going to be actually any good, a Ninja 300 would probably be a better choice if you want to go fast.

Front end if you are handy you might look at grafting on the front end from a modern sports bike you'll get better brakes lighter front wheel more tyre choice and modern forks all in the one deal.

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2021, 06:29:08 AM »
Bravo  :thumb:
Dont replace the tires, new rubber is so over rated, wear them old ones out.
I took an old California II to a similar event, the Instructor was amazed how well it went, braking especially with the linked brakes.
Wish I could be there to crew for you but I'm not pretty enough.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2021, 06:32:37 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2021, 06:29:08 AM »

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2021, 07:59:38 AM »
Does it have a radiator on the front down tubes? Then yes it's an automatic know as a flying carpet.
It flies really slow like a butterfly so you'll be last in any race on track.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2021, 08:15:08 AM »
Bravo  :thumb:
Dont replace the tires, new rubber is so over rated, wear them old ones out.
I took an old California II to a similar event, the Instructor was amazed how well it went, braking especially with the linked brakes.
Wish I could be there to crew for you but I'm not pretty enough.

Well if he turns it into a pile of scrap at the third corner he won't have to worry about the expense of replacing anything. Although the expense of the US medical system reputation proceeds it, that might no be so cheap.

jwinwi

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2021, 08:17:46 AM »

Is today April 1?  :shocked:
I can't think of any bike less suited to track time/racing. But if this is not some strange kind of joke DEFINITELY replace the tires!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2021, 08:20:55 AM by jwinwi »

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2021, 01:10:23 PM »
Enzo? Izzat you??
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2021, 03:26:15 PM »
New tires for sure. Good suggestion on fresh brake fluid too, DOT4 or better. Stock valve springs? Keep it under 7k RPM. Get better ones if you want to go faster than that.

Pete

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2021, 03:34:36 PM »
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2021, 04:09:58 PM »
If you buy tires, the wad for racing is gone. You ought to look at prices today, not 30yrs ago. Converts as in 85 Cal2 have a real heavy flywheel. To compete that will need 20# cut off, that will put you in the RED. Usually for a real race Guzzi w/a 5spd. you better get 3 grand for motor & drivetrain NOT $250.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Online cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2021, 04:24:51 PM »
This is easy-

If you just buy (and drink...) $230 of gin and give a buddy $20 & maybe a little of said gin to tell you and everyone else how much & well you did whenever you were all ginned up,  you're all set.   

Btw- I like gin and could use an easy $20....

1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Offline berniebee

• 2020 Board Donor
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2021, 05:07:28 PM »
It's your lucky day.  I happen to be a old hand (lost one of 'em in a deli accident.) at track days.

First of all son, don't listen to those nabobs of negativity. Shifting is for losers who can't afford automatics. Look at Europe -almost all sticks because everybody's on welfare!

Here are the top four tips ever:

1: Change the tires- front one on the back and back one on the front.
2:Spray it red - THE hot tip for higher top end speed.
3: A cigar smoking woodpecker sticker on the tank really impresses the women folk and intimidates the opposition.  Add a bullet hole sticker too for street cred.
4: I happen to have a few precision fuel line magnets available (only a few left.)  which improve engine efficiency and performance by making gasoline more "receptive" to combustion.  Guaranteed 536% more power or double your magnets back. And coincidentally they are on sale right now for exactly what your budget is. Order today and I'll throw in a premium carbon fiber like container of lightweight red spray paint. This is a 100% factory original precision coating as could be used on Italian performance bikes such as the Dookatsies and Lavernyas.

Bonus tip:  Always inspect your brake shoes and socks before motoring on to the track. 

Yur welcome and where's my payment?

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2021, 06:05:42 PM »
I'm sure there are some riders here that could run that old girl around the track leaving quite a few young riders in their wake, JB for instance would be scrapping the crash bars.
It would be fun to watch as long as the convert never had to scrub off its speed in the corners.
We need  :gotpics:
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here