Author Topic: Travellin to Italy in September?  (Read 921 times)

Offline Lumpy Idle

• Gosling
Travellin to Italy in September?
« on: August 30, 2021, 01:38:52 PM »
The guardian has just posted an article which states that the U.S.A. has just been removed from the safe list of countries that are allowed to freely travel within Europe. This is due of course to a spike in - infections. The other countries just removed are Israel, Kosovo, Lebanon, Montenegro, and the Republic of North Macedonia. If you are from the U.S. and are still planning a trip to Mandello this will affect you. This was completely predictable as the Delta Variant spreads. Take heed and check the viability of your travel plans.
'97 1100Sporti
'76 850T3

"You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter."
--- Anonymous

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Travellin to Italy in September?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2021, 05:47:20 PM »
You would also need to recheck coming back into the U.S. and your state. 
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2021, 08:33:53 PM »
I wonder if MotoGP will cancel Austin?
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2021, 08:55:22 PM »
The laws are national, the EU statement is a recommendation to EU countries, not a dictate, driven by worldwide politics that I won’t delve into here.  Just as countries like Greece and Croatia were open to US tourists before the EU ‘opened’ to them in June, countries are free to do their own thing now.  Once you’re in the Schengen zone (roughly the external EU border), you are largely free to travel between countries, subject to yet more national laws.  So what matters is the entry regulations in the specific country of entry, plus where you’re from, where else you’ve been recently, plus your residence or family status in that country.

I suspect countries will in some cases only tip their hat to the EU recommendation by now limiting entry to only vaccinated people traveling from the US, or otherwise act with less than total compliance.  The EU government has acted early but the tourist season isn’t actually quite over yet and countries to a varying degree need the money.  The recent EU publication also mentions this possibility.

The complexity of the current situation in Europe is somewhat alarming for both EU residents and those entering from the US. I’ll regardless be leaving with a group of US tourists in a few days - my situation would allow entry even if the full EU recommendation were put in place, which is helpful.

Reentry to the US is completely unaffected by an EU statement, as is sports event participation in any country.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 09:34:38 PM by Tusayan »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2021, 08:55:22 PM »

Offline Lumpy Idle

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2021, 09:36:42 PM »
The laws are national, the EU statement is a recommendation to EU countries, not a dictate, driven by worldwide politics that I won’t delve into here.  Just as countries like Greece and Croatia were open to US tourists before the EU ‘opened’ to them in June, countries are free to do their own thing now.  Once you’re in the Schengen zone (roughly the external EU border), you are largely free to travel between countries, subject to yet more national laws.  So what matters is the entry regulations in the specific country of entry, plus where you’re from, where else you’ve been recently, plus your residence or family status in that country.

I suspect countries will in some cases only tip their hat to the EU recommendation by now limiting entry to only vaccinated people traveling from the US, or otherwise act with less than total compliance.  The EU government has acted early but the tourist season isn’t actually quite over yet and countries to a varying degree need the money.  The recent EU publication also mentions this possibility.

The complexity of the current situation in Europe is somewhat alarming for both EU residents and those entering from the US. I’ll regardless be leaving with a group of US tourists in a few days - my situation would allow entry even if the full EU recommendation were put in place, which is helpful.

Reentry to the US is completely unaffected by an EU statement, as is sports event participation in any country.

interesting insight. thanks for that.
'97 1100Sporti
'76 850T3

"You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter."
--- Anonymous

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2021, 03:41:03 AM »
You would also need to recheck coming back into the U.S. and your state.

That's causing a lot of agitation here in the UK for people that go on holiday abroad only for the status to change while they're are away and having to go into compulsory  hotel quarantine for 10 days on return

Circa £3000 for a family of four plus any loss of earnings that they endure while not at work all on top of the cost of the holiday

No wonder campsites are popping up all over the place here!

2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Offline Dogwalker

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2021, 05:40:09 AM »
https://www.salute.gov.it/portale/nuovocoronavirus/dettaglioContenutiNuovoCoronavirus.jsp?lingua=english&id=5412&area=nuovoCoronavirus&menu=vuoto&tab=6

They are updating it. Thbe new ordnance of 28 Aug 2021, estabilishes:
"For the people who have stayed or transited, in the previous fourteen days, in Canada, Japan and the United States of America, ... , for the purpose of entering the in national territory, it is also obligatory to provide, to the carrier upon boarding and to anyone who is in charge to carry out the checks, a certification of having submitted, in the seventy-two hours prior to entry into the national territory, a swab molecular or antigen test with negative result."

Offline azguzzirep

• Gaggle Hero
  • Gratzi Carlo!
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2021, 02:13:31 PM »
I'm going,, but I live in Germany, so it's not a problem!
Murphy's  Law sucks!

Offline Griso8V

• Hatchling
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2021, 04:42:05 PM »
I just heard that the EU has just shut down non essential travel from the US.  Not sure what that means in terms of who can go there or not...
I know that I am not able to travel to Italy cause of this; however I do have a friend who is there now.  But he is Costa Rican resident.  Not sure if that affects who can come and go...
Tony

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2021, 04:44:28 PM »
The issue ‘being discussed’ (i.e. among Americans who will be crossing the Italian border next week by road) is whether anybody from officialdom is going to be there (1) asking every vehicle whether the occupants have been in Japan, Canada or the US in the last fourteen days and (2) if receiving the answer no, whether that possibly non-existent person will be checking for documentation… and how, given that the US and Canada do not stamp passports when exiting the country.

If one is worried about those two items, one can get a quick test within the 72 hrs beforehand and that will fulfill the requirement.  As per @Dogwalkers post, which helpfully translates the latest, Italy is not shutting down tourism for people who have recently been in the US etc.

@Griso8V I’d suggest reading my earlier post
« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 05:25:30 PM by Tusayan »

Offline Griso8V

• Hatchling
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2021, 05:04:25 PM »
You may be correct but I am going on what I have been told and read in the newspapers for what that is worth.  Already told the family there that it looks like we will not be seeing each other until at least 2022...
We will traveling to St Maarten in the Caribbean and to enter one needs proof of vaccination AND a negative - PCR test 2 to 3(?) days prior to travel.  On return to the US one needs a negative PCR test for reentry into the US.  That is of today...
T

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2021, 10:19:45 PM »
The press invariably gets things wrong, usually to create drama.  Most countries are saying little to nothing, notwithstanding Italy adding a test for entry of vaccinated people too, but Austria does explain their position… basically “we’ll let you know if we decide to make any changes”

https://www.austria.org/current-travel-information

Offline scra99tch

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2021, 08:24:43 AM »
Yup I leave tomorrow.

Still awaiting my PCR test results which I took yesterday. 

So far for me to get into Geneva I need a Entry form, CDC Card, and negative test result PCR.  No quarantine requirements as I know of. 

My personal plea to the entry personnel is that I am traveling by rented motorcycle, staying in rural areas and mainly hiking.  I will possibly do a few tips into some of the larger cities like Thun, and Lecco. 

Anyways I did end up buying travelers insurance just in case.

I had the trip all planned out and made the personal decision to continue on with my journey even after Mandello closed the GMG event.  Only because I have the means and ability to do it now and not sure of what will come next year.  So wish me luck. 
1974 Eldorado
2007 California Vintage

Offline Jorg66

• Gosling
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2021, 09:13:56 AM »
Good luck !!  :bike-037:
Now 2019 California ,,2018 [ New] V7 III Carbon Dark
Ex  1979 Kreidler Florett, 1980 Z 550 , 1969Nuovo Falcone/ Polizzia,2006 VTX 1300 C ,1982 Honda CB 125 S

Offline Lumpy Idle

• Gosling
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2021, 11:51:03 AM »
Yup I leave tomorrow....

I had the trip all planned out and made the personal decision to continue on with my journey even after Mandello closed the GMG event.  Only because I have the means and ability to do it now and not sure of what will come next year.  So wish me luck.

keep us posted if you can. thanks. best wishes.
'97 1100Sporti
'76 850T3

--- Anonymous

Offline azguzzirep

• Gaggle Hero
  • Gratzi Carlo!
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2021, 12:54:43 PM »
Yup I leave tomorrow.

Still awaiting my PCR test results which I took yesterday. 

So far for me to get into Geneva I need a Entry form, CDC Card, and negative test result PCR.  No quarantine requirements as I know of. 

My personal plea to the entry personnel is that I am traveling by rented motorcycle, staying in rural areas and mainly hiking.  I will possibly do a few tips into some of the larger cities like Thun, and Lecco. 

Anyways I did end up buying travelers insurance just in case.

I'll be there. Look for me infront of the factory, or my blue EV with American flag flying.  I might have an Arizona MGNOC flag or a GUZZISTI NOMADS sign taped to the front of the factory.  Or,  just look for my Crazy Guzzi Rally hat!

Murphy's  Law sucks!

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2021, 09:22:09 AM »

Hope your trip is going well!

For any who might be interested, there was no official activity on the border crossings as I rode from Germany to Austria today, and none entering Italy on the Brenner Pass.  The published procedure for Americans entering Italy does not appear to be a practical necessity unless you are entering on an airline flight.  It is here anyway for reference, now current in English.

https://www.salute.gov.it/portale/nuovocoronavirus/dettaglioContenutiNuovoCoronavirus.jsp?lingua=english&id=5412&area=nuovoCoronavirus&menu=vuoto&tab=6

Offline scra99tch

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2021, 10:18:54 AM »
So far still in Switzerland.  Have not had any problems.  I think most of the time it’s the main tourist areas that are looking for you CDC card.
1974 Eldorado
2007 California Vintage

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here