Author Topic: 1971 Ambassador revival  (Read 15513 times)

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
Re: 1971 Ambassador revival
« Reply #150 on: March 23, 2023, 04:34:00 PM »
Hi guys quick question on routing fuel lines. I'm using the dual banjo setup, does it matter if the fuel lines go below the carbs? Looking at some pictures it looks like it's OK if they do so. Or do they need to stay above te floats for gravity to pull fuel? Trying to find cleanest install I can and it seems like going under might be helpful. Thanks.

Also, do people ever run fuel lines diagonally, as in right petcock feeds left carb and vice versa?

Under is fine, and in fact is can be helpful - dirt or water will settle to the lowest point. Running them to the opposite side works well too, helps with routing sometimes.
Charlie

Offline demet

• Hatchling
« Reply #151 on: March 25, 2023, 05:43:35 PM »
Thank you, fuel lines installed, petcocks installed with stainless stand screens from John G. On the left side the it seems like the petcock switch is really close to the cables coming off the carb, does that look OK?

Any suggestions on retaining clips for the fuel lines?

Next is getting the carbs set up/tuned. Is this doable without special tools? I've been starting to research it, will plug away at it.

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #152 on: March 25, 2023, 06:44:34 PM »
Thank you, fuel lines installed, petcocks installed with stainless stand screens from John G. On the left side the it seems like the petcock switch is really close to the cables coming off the carb, does that look OK?

Any suggestions on retaining clips for the fuel lines?

Next is getting the carbs set up/tuned. Is this doable without special tools? I've been starting to research it, will plug away at it.

Looks fine.

I use these spring clamps on Tygon hose:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/195670111426

What kind of hose is that? Ethanol resistant or ethanol proof I hope.

https://www.thisoldtractor.com/moto_guzzi_loopframe_carburetor_-_setting_them_up.html
https://www.thisoldtractor.com/moto_guzzi_loopframe_carburetor_balancing_synchronizing_without_carb_sticks.html
Charlie

Offline demet

• Hatchling
« Reply #153 on: March 27, 2023, 03:12:40 PM »
OK cool. I used "CLEAR MOTION PRO PREMIUM FUEL LINE, 5/16", 3 FEET" from MG CYCLE:

https://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=30&products_id=4439

Let me know if that's a problem! OK, on to the carbs...

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #153 on: March 27, 2023, 03:12:40 PM »

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #154 on: March 27, 2023, 03:26:35 PM »
OK cool. I used "CLEAR MOTION PRO PREMIUM FUEL LINE, 5/16", 3 FEET" from MG CYCLE:

https://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=30&products_id=4439

Let me know if that's a problem! OK, on to the carbs...

You should be "good to go" then. 5/16" fits a bit loose on the petcocks and banjos for my liking, I prefer 1/4". The clamps I linked to may not work with 5/16" hose.
Charlie

Offline demet

• Hatchling
« Reply #155 on: March 28, 2023, 06:33:23 PM »
OK I followed the instructions and I think I did it correctly. But I noticed I'm missing a lock nut on the Right side throttle cable... and I have what appears to be an oversized lock nut on the Left side chock cable. I'm assuming I should definitly get one for the missing one right? Can i just use an oversized one from the hardware store? Or should I replace both with the correct one I can order from MG cycle? just seems like a waste of shipping cost haha.
Thanks!

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #156 on: March 28, 2023, 06:59:35 PM »
The missing locknut was likely removed so that the cable would have enough slack. If you install one, the cable may be too short for adequate slack.

Good luck finding a nut at the hardware store - M6-.75 thread is not common like an M6-1.0. Plus it'll be a 10 mm hex not 8 mm like the originals.

Charlie

Offline demet

• Hatchling
« Reply #157 on: March 28, 2023, 07:13:28 PM »
So I can do without it? At least for now? If so, I'm close to trying to start it I think! I bought a gallon of premium fuel. Waiting for the fuel line clips, arriving tomorrow I think. Haven't changed the oil, but it's Ok to start start it? Will do full oil change before riding.

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #158 on: March 28, 2023, 08:02:20 PM »
So I can do without it? At least for now? If so, I'm close to trying to start it I think! I bought a gallon of premium fuel. Waiting for the fuel line clips, arriving tomorrow I think. Haven't changed the oil, but it's Ok to start start it? Will do full oil change before riding.

Sure, won't hurt anything as-is. I'd dump the oil that's in it and start fresh. 3 qts. only.
Charlie

Offline demet

• Hatchling
« Reply #159 on: March 28, 2023, 09:53:00 PM »
So change the oil before trying to start it? I can do that, but thought I should get it warm before draining oil. Not sure why I thought that, but I can drain oil while cold and refill. What kind of oil do you recommend?
I'm excited to see it running, have had the bike almost two years without it running lolol!!

Sure, won't hurt anything as-is. I'd dump the oil that's in it and start fresh. 3 qts. only.

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #160 on: March 28, 2023, 10:02:24 PM »
So change the oil before trying to start it? I can do that, but thought I should get it warm before draining oil. Not sure why I thought that, but I can drain oil while cold and refill. What kind of oil do you recommend?
I'm excited to see it running, have had the bike almost two years without it running lolol!!

I run Shell Rotella T4 15w40.
Charlie

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #161 on: March 29, 2023, 08:12:03 AM »
Might want to just drain the oil cold, then drop the sump and clean out any sludge.  Have a fresh gasket, and a dab of anti seize on each pan bolt when putting it back on.  Don’t over tighten.  You don’t want to strip anything on the block.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline demet

• Hatchling
« Reply #162 on: March 30, 2023, 02:24:14 PM »
So I thought I would just crank the engine before adding fuel, just to check. I got nothing when pushing start button. Clutch was engaged. Couldn't get neutral light to come on, and not familiar with gears to know if I found it or not. Battery is showing 12 volts. I guess I need to start checking continuity of electrical wiring... Any suggestions? Is there some some special condition that needs to be met for start button to work?

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #163 on: March 30, 2023, 03:50:51 PM »
So I thought I would just crank the engine before adding fuel, just to check. I got nothing when pushing start button. Clutch was engaged. Couldn't get neutral light to come on, and not familiar with gears to know if I found it or not. Battery is showing 12 volts. I guess I need to start checking continuity of electrical wiring... Any suggestions? Is there some some special condition that needs to be met for start button to work?

Your Ambo may still be wired so that the starter will only engage if the transmission is in neutral. It's easy to tell and fix - if there is both a green wire and black wire connected to the neutral switch stud, then it will only start in neutral. If you want it to start in gear, then the green wire will remain on the neutral switch stud, but the black wire should be connected to a nearby bolt on the transmission case.

Remember that the shift pattern is "backwards" - one up, three down - so you may not be in the "real" neutral.
Charlie

Offline demet

• Hatchling
« Reply #164 on: March 30, 2023, 10:02:42 PM »
Your Ambo may still be wired so that the starter will only engage if the transmission is in neutral. It's easy to tell and fix - if there is both a green wire and black wire connected to the neutral switch stud, then it will only start in neutral. If you want it to start in gear, then the green wire will remain on the neutral switch stud, but the black wire should be connected to a nearby bolt on the transmission case.

Remember that the shift pattern is "backwards" - one up, three down - so you may not be in the "real" neutral.
OK that was it. I tried to move black wire to one of the bolts holding on the neutral switch, but I can't thread the bolt back in. I haven't tried very hard but it's definitely meeting some resistance a few turns in. Hope I haven't damaged threads. Guess I'll have to try and chase it out?

So I attached black wire to a different bolt and it cranks. Let fuel flow and it cranked for a bit but no joy. Now won't crank, maybe I wore down the battery, need to check voltage tomorrow. Thanks for the help!

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #165 on: March 30, 2023, 10:34:21 PM »
Probly goo on the threads, pesky leaks there sometimes. Won’t leak much, sometimes enough to make a drip. It can migrate up and out of the connector as well.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 10:36:27 PM by John A »
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #166 on: March 31, 2023, 08:34:31 AM »
OK that was it. I tried to move black wire to one of the bolts holding on the neutral switch, but I can't thread the bolt back in. I haven't tried very hard but it's definitely meeting some resistance a few turns in. Hope I haven't damaged threads. Guess I'll have to try and chase it out?

So I attached black wire to a different bolt and it cranks. Let fuel flow and it cranked for a bit but no joy. Now won't crank, maybe I wore down the battery, need to check voltage tomorrow. Thanks for the help!

The black plastic of the neutral switch gets deformed from the bolt compressing it. I too have trouble getting them to go back in on occasion. What usually works is a short M10 socket on the nut driver handle - that way I can guide it straight and apply pressure as well. You might also try running an M6-1.0 tap in to chase the threads, taking care to get it straight.
Charlie

Offline demet

• Hatchling
« Reply #167 on: April 06, 2023, 07:58:54 PM »
OK so I'm not getting any spark, checked by grounding plug body and seeing no arc. Should I check the plugs/leads in some other way? Coil is showing 12 volts, so maybe distributor is issue? Any tips on troubleshooting that? Here is picture of inside of distributor.

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #168 on: April 06, 2023, 09:03:39 PM »
The contacts (the points) look white and fluffy with corrosion. They don't work too well like that - clean the contacts with very fine (something like 600 grit) sandpaper until they're clean and shiny. Spray them down with contact cleaner afterwards. Gap them to .016". Clean the cam and apply a little dab of distributor grease.

Looks like the advance spring in the photos was mangled during installation too.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2023, 08:27:02 AM by Antietam Classic Cycle »
Charlie

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #169 on: April 07, 2023, 11:56:47 AM »
What Charlie says. It also looks like corrosion on the points spring and its connection .
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline demet

• Hatchling
« Reply #170 on: April 07, 2023, 01:40:33 PM »
OK thanks guys! Will try that today, hopefully I have the correct feeler gauge already. I'm supposed to advance the rear wheel until the points open up or something? Any guide/tutorial somewhere for this, I looked on This Old Tractor but didn't find.

Also what do you think of the Guzziology book? I noticed Greg Bender recommended it, thought I might get a copy?

Offline Dave Swanson

• Gaggle Hero
  • Northern Illinois USA
« Reply #171 on: April 07, 2023, 01:54:17 PM »
OK thanks guys! Will try that today, hopefully I have the correct feeler gauge already. I'm supposed to advance the rear wheel until the points open up or something? Any guide/tutorial somewhere for this, I looked on This Old Tractor but didn't find.

Also what do you think of the Guzziology book? I noticed Greg Bender recommended it, thought I might get a copy?

Guzziology is a fantastic resource, a must for the library.  That along with TOT, Chilton's,  and the resident experts here you will all the bases covered
Dave Swanson - Northern IL
1935 GTS
1968 V700
1973 V7 Sport
1974 Eldo
1974 Police Eldo
1976 Convert
1977 Lemans 1.2
1980 T3 California
1993 1000S - Sparklehorse
2004 V11S - Eraldo-ized
2016 Griso SE - Beetle-ized
2021 V7-850 Stone Centenario
2022 V85TT Guardia d'Onore
2023 V100S

MGNOC L-780

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #172 on: April 07, 2023, 03:53:05 PM »

I prefer to remove the spark plugs and generator belt cover, then use a ratchet w/26 mm socket to turn the engine. A 1 1/16" wrench will work as well. There are two lobes on the distributor cam, turn the engine until the rub block of the points is on the center of the wider one, and set the gap there.

This might be the best manual for you:
https://www.thisoldtractor.com/mg_manuals/tune_up_guide_for_the_shade_tree_mechanic.pdf
and/or
https://www.thisoldtractor.com/mg_manuals/workshop_manual_chilton.pdf
Charlie

Offline demet

• Hatchling
« Reply #173 on: April 15, 2023, 02:34:56 PM »
It lives! Got it started, see video on YouTube below. How does it sound? I probably need to do some tuning/timing. I only ran it for 30 seconds or so.

https://youtu.be/znF85SjojCQ

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #174 on: April 15, 2023, 03:21:14 PM »
Was that running on choke?
Charlie

Offline demet

• Hatchling
« Reply #175 on: April 15, 2023, 03:57:11 PM »
At first no, but I think I opened the choke up after a few seconds. I could do another video with it on or off, and for longer time period. Helpful?

Was that running on choke?

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #176 on: April 15, 2023, 04:01:59 PM »
Sounded good, sounded like it was on choke though.
Charlie

Offline demet

• Hatchling
« Reply #177 on: April 19, 2023, 02:09:49 PM »
Thanks so much for all your help Charlie, I'm feeling close to actually giving it a ride!  :bow: If you or anyone else can spare 3 minutes here's a longer video where you can see me playing with choke. I'm curious if you have any tuning tips, and/or should I check the timing? I don't have a timing light, but could buy one if needed. Thanks!

https://youtu.be/-4X_O0AjrVg
« Last Edit: April 19, 2023, 07:06:24 PM by demet »

Offline adaven

• 2024 Board Donor
  • Hatchling
« Reply #178 on: April 19, 2023, 04:38:33 PM »
Charlie, I wonder how you can tell that the choke is on in the first 30 sec. video?

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #179 on: April 21, 2023, 08:07:27 PM »
I don’t want to answer for Charlie, I learn something every time he posts but the exhaust note sounds duller with the choke on.
John
MGNOC L-471
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here