Author Topic: I’m becoming jaded with Moto Guzzi  (Read 2516 times)

Offline nc43bsa

• Gaggle Hero
Re: I’m becoming jaded with Moto Guzzi
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2022, 07:02:22 PM »
I view Guzzi reliability complaints within the context of my first motorcycle:  a BSA 650 Lightning.  And my second bike was a Norton Commando.

Aside from a failing ignition coil on my Mille GT, it has been dead-nuts reliable.  Same for my V11 Sport.
1990 MilleGT

Online kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2022, 05:44:00 AM »
I've had a few issues myself, but I have to admit that my local dealer was at least half of those issues. 

It's all about risk management.  Here's one example.......I remember heading out to a rally that was 400 miles away.  I hooked the truck to the trailer, put $200 in the center console (for fuel/eats) and texted the location of the truck keys to a couple of friends - in the off chance that I got stranded.  I made it there and back without a hitch.  And then (the very next morning)

The dreaded flashy triangle and the message "URGENT SERVICE" on the instrument cluster.

https://youtube.com/shorts/blvpi_wjQiE?feature=share

Still, I currently own two of them, but I am sometimes wary.....   :boozing: :boozing: :boozing:

bobrebos

« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2022, 06:39:07 AM »
It’s getting so bad I’m thinking of riding my 2010 Gold Wing to the monthly Guzzi Meet and greet weekends/lunches.  Lol.  I just can’t depend on the Stelvio much anymore.  Took five  minutes of turning engine over with start button to get it to start after returning from a 100 mile ride yesterday!!!  Geeezzz…
« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 06:41:21 AM by bobrebos »

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2022, 06:58:16 AM »
It’s getting so bad I’m thinking of riding my 2010 Gold Wing to the monthly Guzzi Meet and greet weekends/lunches.  Lol.  I just can’t depend on the Stelvio much anymore.  Took five  minutes of turning engine over with start button to get it to start after returning from a 100 mile ride yesterday!!!  Geeezzz…
I know there are no guarantees with any of them, but geez I don’t see a lot going wrong with the stinking old Norges like mine.
I’d just get that 2 VPC silver thing, do the essentials and just ride….

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2022, 06:58:16 AM »

Offline RHAT

• Hatchling
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2022, 08:44:18 AM »
As of right now the Norge is all good again.  I  just went 700 trouble free  miles this weekend,  but 2 weeks ago I was seriously thinking about parting it out on Ebay.  My buddies tell me to get rid of it now that it's working again,  but when it's good,  it's good and I really like it.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2022, 08:54:43 AM »
two Guzzis 71k/49k.  two regulators, two TPS, one oil pump, two rear turn signals, one stator, one pet cock, one fuel leak/airbox removal, one broken side stand switch, tail light sockets, two crunchy gearboxes, one faulty fuse holder (adjusted), several relays (preventive), that's all that comes to mind. 

The joy of maintenance is fading.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

bobrebos

« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2022, 09:58:02 AM »
two Guzzis 71k/49k.  two regulators, two TPS, one oil pump, two rear turn signals, one stator, one pet cock, one fuel leak/airbox removal, one broken side stand switch, tail light sockets, two crunchy gearboxes, one faulty fuse holder (adjusted), several relays (preventive), that's all that comes to mind. 

:thumb:

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2022, 10:21:17 AM »
I'm almost cured.  :cool:   Like my timeline says: "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."  I'd keep an old  Guzzi around if I had the G.A.F. left in me to maintain it. Right now I don't. I ride newer smaller bikes that require very little but a smart charger and a tire gauge.
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2022, 10:38:13 AM »
 I tend to keep my motorcycles for a long time (often 15 years or longer) and because I have multiple bikes, some (like my Guzzis) don't get ridden very often.  I also start getting nervous when a bike gets much past the 25,000 mile mark.  Not because of reliability issues, but mostly because bikes with "high milage"  :rolleyes: can be very hard to sell when I do decide to part with one. There are too many low milage garage queens out there for buyers to chose from.  But I've been lucky, it's been a long time since I've been stranded by a mechanical problem on a motorcycle.  Couple of dead batteries caught me out recently when I should have known better and changed them.  I used to always take long cross-country tours on a big Harley.  Was stranded once by a broken coil wire (took longer waiting for the engine to cool down than to fix) and once in Las Vegas by another fried battery.  Ugh! Yet I've heard plenty of horror stories of riders being stranded by their Harley and would never own another one.  I used to ride with one Harley owner that carried a good 25 lbs worth of wrenches and assorted tools! Now I've moved on to the Bavarian Money Wasters for my cross-country ridings.  So far, so good, but plenty of nightmare stories about them as well.

Online twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2022, 11:16:33 AM »
I will never understand the fascination with KTM... an ugly bike that costs top-of-the-market price, with insane short service intervals, pointless technological complexity, and crap reliability...  But their fans sure do love them

You have to ride them to understand them. I equate it to riding a thoroughbred race horse instead of a dead broke rental trail horse.

A whole lot of fun and excitement, but not so great to live with every day.

For me Hondas are the exact opposite.

I will continue to thoroughly enjoy test rides of KTMs, but will never own one.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Jack Straw

• Hatchling
  • Laugh More, Live Longer
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2022, 04:16:03 PM »
I've always thought "brand loyalty" is nothing more than blind faith.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2022, 05:07:31 PM »

I forgot the fuel pump. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2022, 09:14:40 PM »
I'd say brand loyalty is built on experience, not faith.  As an example, the Honda Gold Wing has brand loyalty because it has delivered hundreds of thousands of trouble-free miles for many of its owners.
Harley Davidson lost brand loyalty (and almost went out of business) with its unreliable bikes in the 1970's and 80's but built rider loyalty back in the 90's by making a more reliable product.

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2022, 05:14:41 AM »
Suffered a broken shifter lever while in Tellico Plains Tn three weeks ago while on a trip and now an engine miss, running on one cylinder on this trip to Suches.

Bikes need to be dependable.  My 20-0 Honda Goldwing is DEPENDABLE.  I’m losing my patience with Moto Guzzi real quickly!  I’m blowing off steam because I’m pissed off!!!!

Consider selling it, they usually start running pretty good at that point.

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2022, 06:28:42 AM »
It's tough when a motorcycle loses your confidence, and with all the options today, its hard to not get jaded and start looking.

I've only been on Guzzi's since 2015, and the experience has been mostly good, but not perfect. With all the talk of Japanese bikes being flawless for reliability, the worst bike I've ever owned for reliability and issues was my 05 FJR 1300.  I'm on Guzzi's right now because they are air cooled, and shaft driven, with good chassis dynamics, and brakes.

Heresy I am sure, but while I like the 'character' and feel of a Guzzi, I still long for the sound and power of IL4 motors. Sure, a Guzzi Vtwin at 6-7K is an intoxicating and glorious sound, but having been exclusively on IL4 bikes from 1984 to 2015, I miss the sound and pure power. Problem is there are no more air cooled IL4 motors.

My 07 Griso has been flawless, as has the 14 Stornello. I've only had the 08 1200 Sport for 2 years and have not had an issue. Bob (Ohiorider) was the original owner, and put 70K miles with few real issues other than the dash. I've put another 6K without an issue.

But...... Then there was the 2014 Norge that seemed to have multiple minor issues. First was that the right exhaust cam was off a tooth and though the bike ran, it would not rev over 6K. The original owner never really rode it, and had no idea there was an issue. It was a 14, and I bought in 16 with less than 1100 miles. No idea if it was opened and reassembled wrong, or came from the factory that way. Also had a problem with the oil pressure sender, spark plug caps failing, fuel gauge, windshield motor failing, and the last issue was weeping oil leaks from the grub screws in the head by the exhaust ports. Still, that was less than the issues I had with the FJR over the 8 years I had it. IMO, the flawless Japanese bike is urban legend, and not universal.

Motorcycles are like girlfriends. When the pain outweigh the pleasure, it's time to move on. Only you can answer that. Do the issues outweigh the pleasure? Will you find another bike that will bring the same pleasure KNOWING that there will be issues there as well?
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

bobrebos

« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2022, 08:07:00 AM »
It's tough when a motorcycle loses your confidence, and with all the options today, its hard to not get jaded and start looking.

Motorcycles are like girlfriends. When the pain outweigh the pleasure, it's time to move on. Only you can answer that. Do the issues outweigh the pleasure? Will you find another bike that will bring the same pleasure KNOWING that there will be issues there as well?

:thumb:

Offline Jorg66

• Gosling
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2022, 08:57:23 AM »
I mentioned 'a little Frustration 'about our ' V7 III in another thread, but still not willing to give up ,lol.
The '19 Cali 1400 with now 28740 km ,has been a Blast for two up Travel ,and trouble free.
And maybe the V7 III would have been the same if it didnt come with that faulty engine . For that we sold [gave away] a total troubel free VTX 1300 C [shy 78000 km ] . :violent1:

But ,'im finding myself lookinm for an older Guzzi ,even a Norge .
Now 2019 California ,,2018 [ New] V7 III Carbon Dark
Ex  1979 Kreidler Florett, 1980 Z 550 , 1969Nuovo Falcone/ Polizzia,2006 VTX 1300 C ,1982 Honda CB 125 S

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2022, 06:09:59 PM »
I've only been on Guzzi's since 2015, and the experience has been mostly good, but not perfect. With all the talk of Japanese bikes being flawless for reliability, the worst bike I've ever owned for reliability and issues was my 05 FJR 1300.
I have several friends that ride the FJR, and ride it hard.  I've never known or even heard of one that wasn't completely trouble free.  Curious as to what problems you had with yours. 

Offline MMRanch

• MMRanch
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Evil wins if Good Men do Nothing
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2022, 06:31:15 PM »
bobrebos

Hay Bob , I was ready to get rid of my V7II when the clutch was near impossible to pull , come to find out it needed some grease on the push rod !   :rolleyes:

Didn't you have a V7 that did great ? 
2016 V7-II Stone
2022 Royal Enfield Meteor Stellar Blue

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2022, 06:59:50 PM »
I've had a few issues myself, but I have to admit that my local dealer was at least half of those issues. 

It's all about risk management.  Here's one example.......I remember heading out to a rally that was 400 miles away.  I hooked the truck to the trailer, put $200 in the center console (for fuel/eats) and texted the location of the truck keys to a couple of friends - in the off chance that I got stranded.  I made it there and back without a hitch.  And then (the very next morning)

The dreaded flashy triangle and the message "URGENT SERVICE" on the instrument cluster.

https://youtube.com/shorts/blvpi_wjQiE?feature=share

Still, I currently own two of them, but I am sometimes wary.....   :boozing: :boozing: :boozing:

Love your Garage Wall. I've been collecting plates for 40 years when I finally retire and get to mount them on my garage wall.
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2022, 07:09:26 PM »
I have several friends that ride the FJR, and ride it hard.  I've never known or even heard of one that wasn't completely trouble free.  Curious as to what problems you had with yours.

Mine was an 05, and a 'ticker' Needed valve guides twice. One under warranty, the second time it started making the noise again I would pull the header to see if they were leaking oil. They didn't so I lived with the sound. It also had cooling system issues and needed regular flushing, the shift linkage broke, throttle and fueling was snatchy, it ate batteries, and headlights, and would burn the daylights out of your shins without serious modifications and deflections. It wasn't terrible, and nothing serious, but was the most 'problem prone' bike I ever owned.

I had it 8 years and put 60K if I remember.  It was an amazing, fast long distance sport bike and so capable it was boring unless riding at life threatening speeds. It sucked my love of riding out of me. Didn't break 1500 miles my last two years of ownership.  In 2015 I threw a leg over an 1100 GRiSO, and was instantly addicted and re-invigorated despite the loss of power and 'spec sheet'. Put on 3K miles in 2 months, and added a Norge.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 07:20:45 PM by Bulldog9 »
MGNOC#23231

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here