Author Topic: Clutch Issue on ‘03 Stone?  (Read 743 times)

Offline Bpreynolds2

• Gosling
Clutch Issue on ‘03 Stone?
« on: May 15, 2022, 08:45:09 PM »
As I’ve now been mostly wrapping up work on my Cali project, I’ve now been getting out and actually riding the bike for good miles.  When I got it back in November it had about 29k on the clock and terribly neglected.  I didn’t do much riding on it before I started work, but now that most of that work is done, I’m getting more miles upon it.  Unfortunately, I’ve noticed a kind of issue with the clutch lever that has me a little worried.  It is absolutely a dual plate model, btw - I’ve now tripled checked it.  Anyhow, I have a good bit of play set in the lever but what I’ve noticed is that in higher rpms some of that play will tighten up, then return once in lower rpms or after I change gears.  Very occasionally if I have my hand on the clutch when increasing rpms I’ll be able to feel it push the handle out and lose some of the play.  Is this what is called clutch “pulsing”?  Anyhow, as of yet I have not noticed any misbehavior with the clutch as per slipping, not going into gear, high revs, etc. none of that so far.  I’ve had a Stone in the past with the single plate that went out within the first 2k miles but the symptoms with this one are nothing similar to those.  I did lube the cable, cable end at the lever, and the clutch arm on the engine end, these all without much benefit.  When I pulled the rubber plug to triple check for the dual plate I did notice a very small amount of oil on the inside of the plug, didn’t notice any inside anywhere but there was that very small bit on there.  I didn’t smell it to see what kind of oil it might be because I didn’t think anything of it at the time.  Anyhoo, any ideas here?  Should I be worried about that lever issue?  If so, what might be going on? 
2020 T120 Bonneville

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Clutch Issue on ‘03 Stone?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2022, 09:04:40 PM »
Maybe a warped plate , i would just make sure you maintain some free play in the cable and run it .

Offline Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2022, 11:42:09 PM »
Don't have any suggestions for your issue. I have never noticed a Guzzi clutch lever pulsing. My HD does do that, but not so much a pulse. Hit the gas and the lever changes, hold gas stays put, off gas and the lever changes again. At idle, I guess it does pulse a bit. Supposedly, nothing is wrong, just the way some are?

You might want to clear the weep slot on the bottom of the bell housing just to make sure there is no oil build up in there.

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Online Rolf Halvorsen

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2022, 01:32:55 AM »
The free play should be max 2-3mm.

Rolf

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2022, 01:32:55 AM »

Offline Bpreynolds2

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2022, 05:40:38 AM »

Maybe a warped plate , i would just make sure you maintain some free play in the cable and run it .

Will do and sure hope it holds true.  Like I said, no misbehavior of the clutch so far; I even gave the throttle a really hard workout yesterday, seeing if I could “make” the clutch slip in the higher rpms, but never once that I could detect.  It also doesn’t creep at a stop with the clutch pulled in and throttle response is about the same as all the other 4 Calis I’ve owned previously.  The only other thing is I do hear a little bit of a metal sound sometimes when pulling out from a stop but no slip.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 07:03:39 PM by Bpreynolds2 »
2020 T120 Bonneville

Offline vf84pc

• Hatchling
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2022, 09:02:03 AM »
Some of the 2003 Stones had single plate clutch's. My 04 had a single plate unit and went out of adjustment just before it failed. Search single plate clutch and you should see some photo's on how to identify if you have a single or double plate assembly.

Offline Bpreynolds2

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2022, 10:09:07 AM »
Some of the 2003 Stones had single plate clutch's. My 04 had a single plate unit and went out of adjustment just before it failed. Search single plate clutch and you should see some photo's on how to identify if you have a single or double plate assembly.

Thanks for the input but yes, as mentioned above I’ve already checked this.  It certainly has the dual plate.
2020 T120 Bonneville

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2022, 02:59:04 PM »
I wonder if it could be clutch dust causing the flywheel grooves/splines to hang up then let loose.
You could pour a quart or more of mineral spirits in and wash plates & flywheel out. It's real messy, do it on gravel. Plug the weep hole slot w/piece of wood you can pull back out. Pour in timing inspection hole w/funnel & put plug back in place. Pull clutch in & out while running. Pull out wood, tie lever to handlebar at rest to dry, air & gap between plates. OR go ride & see what it does.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Bpreynolds2

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2022, 07:06:43 PM »
Don't have any suggestions for your issue. I have never noticed a Guzzi clutch lever pulsing. My HD does do that, but not so much a pulse. Hit the gas and the lever changes, hold gas stays put, off gas and the lever changes again. At idle, I guess it does pulse a bit. Supposedly, nothing is wrong, just the way some are?
Tom

Meant to say yesterday this description is exactly what I was trying to describe earlier.  Hope you are correct and as I stated, no slipping nor bad behavior by the clutch; I just can’t recall any of the 12 or so other Geese I’ve owned as doing this but I find I’m oddly more mechanically perceptive as I get older - too bad my ears don’t work better with age  :boozing:
2020 T120 Bonneville

Offline Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2022, 12:11:09 AM »
I should have added that on my HD the engine is rubber mounted. The cable is clipped to the frame. That's probably why the lever moves as the engine moves.

Might be worth having a look at your throw out bearing. And as odd as this sounds, make sure your engine mount bolts and frame bolts are tight. Might even check your handle bar mounts. They should have rubber bushings for the bar clamps IIRR.

Then either live with it forever or until something breaks. OR.... pull the clutch out and inspect the parts. Yuck!!!!!

Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2022, 08:59:48 AM »
You are talking about the fully released lever play, correct?
That should not be anything like a warped plate, since the clutch is 'clamped' tight and nothing it there should be moving.

Maybe the entire crankshaft is moving back and forth. But that is a lot of movement, and I have never looked into how much play is supposed to be in the thrust bearing on a Guzzi. You can pull the oil pan and try to move the crank back and forth a bit to check it.

Maybe the clutch bearing in the back of the transmission is acting odd. Not sure how but it can be pulled and inspected without a lot of drama.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here