Author Topic: The giant WG National threadfest  (Read 572236 times)

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
Re: The Cedar Vale KS Knotanational Knotarally May 5-7
« Reply #1110 on: January 01, 2017, 01:46:48 PM »
Dusty,
A rally suggestion is to have wrist bands so you know who the paying members are and the free loaders that just want to come in, use the facility, drink coffee, etc and not pay. Maybe that is why some ride in Cadillacs and I have a 77 GMC. I'd ride a mule before I'd cheat the organizers out of a rally fee.

Tex

I don't think freeloaders have ever been a problem at CV. We make sure that doesn't happen by inviting outsiders in to join us👀
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline rudyr

• Gosling
« Reply #1111 on: January 01, 2017, 02:19:10 PM »
Well last year couldn't make CV because my wife had Cruise booked.  But this year it's the week after CV. So put me down, with a smile and a haler. Rudy

oldbike54

« Reply #1112 on: January 01, 2017, 02:25:46 PM »
 A couple of things to add .

The original Cedar Vale six , Delrod , Guzzistajohn , Ozarksguzzi (Tim), Kirby 1923 , fubarguzzi , and myself , sort of worked out the Cedar Vale camp out culture sitting around the fire on Saturday evening in April of 2013 . We decided the idea was to have a relaxed atmosphere , only one rule which we attribute to John , "Don't be an A hole" , and to have fun . Those ideas still hold even as we have grown every year , probably the single most important factor in that constant growth . Seriously, I never believed there would even be a second CV , let alone a fifth which we hope will be as much fun as the first four . I remember sitting at the fire on Sat evening when John asked "So same time next year ?" , and the smiles and nods of agreement . Hmm , maybe we can blame GJ for all of this  :evil:

Anyway , while things have changed just a bit , and if we are to have a Knotanational it will require a bit more organization and participation from the town , we can certainly make this happen .

The city has offered to do a BBQ on Fri evening , and we will work out the price of that . Sat morning breakfast will provided by the C of C , probably on a donation basis . Last year they made some wonderful breakfast burritos .

Oh , and for those of you traveling long distances , or who might have a scheduling problem . We can stay thru until , well , whenever . If we have anyone needing an extra day or two to decompress , I will stay around to help out .

So , as stated before , we will require a 25 buck deposit , 35 for couples . This will cover camping , the Sat night meal , and probably most other incidental expenses . We do need to get a good head count so everyone gets fed .

Dusty

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
« Reply #1113 on: January 01, 2017, 08:54:30 PM »
Most Everything You Need to Know About the Cedar Vale Knotanational Knotarally. 

When is it? 

May 5-7, 2017 on the Gregorian calendar.  On the Chinese calendar, it's the 10th through 12th days of the 4th lunar month (i.e. Din-You, Year of the Rooster).

Where is it? 

Cedar Vale, Kansas.  The Gem City of the Sunflower State, in Chautauqua County, Kansas.

Coordinates: 37 degrees, 6 feet, and 18 inches North by 96 degrees, 30
feet, and 3 inches West. 

More specifically, the Hewins Park Pavilion located on 101 Salebarn Road, Cedar Vale, Kansas. 

http://www.cedarvalekansas.com/3/miscellaneous3.htm

The pavilion was built in 1913 by a Mr. Chester A. Bradley, and designed by architect Mr. Hayland.   It is huge.  Indeed, the National Historic Register officially classifies it as a "big a** pavilion."  It even has a stage, side doors, 3 secret rooms and 2 tunnels.

https://focus.nps.gov/pdfhost/docs/NRHP/Text/07000602.pdf

There is *plenty* of space for camping and RVs in the bucolic park surrounding the huge pavilion.  There are toilets, electricity, and cold water showers.   Dusty may bring in additional Port-a-Potties or gain us access to other civilized facilities.

What supplies are available in Seadur Vale?

Gas, beer, ice and typical convenience store sundries are available at the Conoco gas station in town.  There is also the Cedar Vale Market, a regular grocery store that stays open until about 6:00. 

If you need to buy hard liquor, there's a store in nearby Sedan.  Not sure about ammo or macrame supplies.

Cedar Vale also has the Hilltop Restaurant, supposed to be pretty good.  Pizza and other more exotic foods are available in nearby towns such as Sedan and Ark City

What if I don't want to camp?

There may be extra bunk space in one of the RVs likely to be brought to the site by fellow Guzzi enthusiasts.   Let Dusty know and he'll try to hook you up. 

The Cedar Creek Lodge is an easy, 3 block walk from the park.   Phone (620) 249-9362.  Cheap and basic lodgings.   GliderJohn and I have both stayed there, and I probably will again.

Another place is the Hunter's Roost.  Phone (620) 758-2498.

Dusty tells me there may be up to 3 private homes in Cedar Vale available for rent.  Still working on details, but if anyone is interested in a house rental, please let us know. 

What is there to do in Cedar Vale itself? 

Well, of course we will have the usual Guzzi rally stuff in the park--snacking, dining, visiting friends, telling lies, bench racing, tire-kicking, campfires, music, sing-a-longs, and interpretive dance.   We will have the usual competitions such as beard growing, suspender snapping, the evening spelling bee, and arm wrestling (Kansas style, not using Texas rules). 

Despite the issues last year, Dusty promises to bring back Midnight Mumblety-Peg.  We can count on disturbing  but memorable jokes by SickBay from Louisiana.  Voice impressions by Paul from Houston.  Plus Dusty is an accomplished mime. 

And I'm sure there will be the annual tradition of fixing whatever is wrong with motorcycles owned by me or Fubar. 

Lookout Mountain is right next to the park.   It is what they call a "teener" mountain in Kansas, soaring to the majestic height of 1,248 feet above the valley.  The road to the peak is privately owned, but Dusty has connections and we can probably get the owner to open the gate for us so that we may ascend from our base camp at the pavilion all the way to the summit.  I think this was part of the Great Osage Trail (Black Dog Trail).

There is a nice history museum in Cedar Vale.  Again, Dusty is working his connections, and will probably be able to have the museum opened for our little group.  There are rumors that the friendly townsfolk will be selling coffee and home-made pie at the museum. 

What about day trips from Cedar Vale?

This area of Kansas may surprise you if you think of Kansas as nothing but flat farmland.  Lots of interesting roads, with rolling hills, vales, and curves.  And lots of dirt/gravel roads that are easily rideable by street bikes. Details on request or available at the rally. 

There are two good motorcycle museums within day trip range of Cedar Vale.  Twisted Oz Motorcycle Museum in Augusta, KS is 68 miles northwest.

http://www.twistedoz.com/

And the Kansas Motorcycle Museum is 156 miles northwest in Marquette, KS.

http://www.ksmotorcyclemuseum.org/

62 miles southeast of Cedir Vale is the Woolaroc Museum and Wildlife Preserve (about 12 miles south of Bartlesville, OK).  Well worth the trip--bison and wild critters, Native American artifacts and art, and one of the finest gun collections extant--especially old Colt firearms. 

http://www.woolaroc.org/

Also near Bartlesville is the Price Tower, the only sky-scraper built from Frank Lloyd Wright's design.

If you like green chilies and food made from green chilies, I'm told you need to check out Frank and Lola's in downtown Bartlesville. 

http://frankandlolas.com/

About 650 feet below ground, and 130 miles northwest of Cedar Vale, is the Strataca Salt Mine--an operating salt mine open to the public for tours in Hutchinson, KS.   

http://underkansas.org/

Also in Hutchinson is the Cosmosphere museum, with a huge collection of missiles and space stuff, including Nazi V1 and V2 missiles, lots of Russkie space stuff, and the actual command module from the ill-fated Apollo 13 mission.

http://cosmo.org/

Speaking of old guns and ill-fated missions, Coffeyville, Kansas is about 53 miles east of Cedar Vale.   On Oct 5, 1892, the Dalton gang attempted to out-outlaw the James gang by robbing two banks at once in broad daylight.  Fail!  The gang was shot to pieces in Death Alley after the locals armed themselves at Isham's Hardware Store next door.  Three members of the gang still reside in Coffeyville, down at the local cemetery. 

The Coffeyville area and the nearby Verdigris River basin also boast the distinction of being the lowest point in the State of Kansas, at 679 feet above sea level. 

West Mineral, Kansas is home of Big Brutus, a huge coal mining steam shovel and associated museum.  Or maybe it was electric.  Not sure, but the big brute is retired now about 107 miles east of Cedar Vale. 

Arkansas is renowned for its wonderful, curvy and scenic motorcycle roads.  The Arkansas Ozarks are a mere 200 miles to the southeast.

17 miles west of Cedar Vale is the site of the nation's first helium mine in Dexter, Kansas.

http://kuhistory.com/articles/high-on-helium/

The locals were bummed that the gas from this well would not burn, but attitudes changed when Kansas scientists figured out the "Dexter gas" contained helium, and helium became useful for blimps in WWI, and atomic weapons in WWII.  The Germans used hydrogen in their blimps.  Unlike Dexter Gas, hydrogen burns quite vigorously.

Also in Dexter is Henry's Candy Company, a candy making factory more than 50 years old.   And yes, they sell candy.   

As the man said, "Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right . . . "   Sure enough, 19 miles west of Cedar Vale is the home of the World's Most Famous Clown, a/k/a Weary Willie, a/k/a Emmett Kelly.  Sedan now has a museum dedicated to its famous native son.  That's all I'll say about this because clowns creep me out. 

All I know about Wichita, 79 miles northwest of Cedar Vale, is that GliderJohn thinks highly of the BBQ at the "Pig In! Pig Out! Restaurant."

Folks, please chime in, correct any of my errors, and add your own information or mindless persiflage about Cedar Vale and the surrounding area. 

Oh.

And please come join us at the Knotanational
Knotarally in Cedar Vale, Kansas.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 09:42:35 PM by SmithSwede »
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #1113 on: January 01, 2017, 08:54:30 PM »

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Geese Fly in a Proper V
Re: Cedar Vale Kansas - Not a Rally - April 22-24 2016
« Reply #1114 on: January 01, 2017, 08:59:33 PM »
Pavilion:

Apparently those English bikes don't like a German bear applying english to them while riding.   :laugh:
If you wish to know what a man is, place in him authority.
False accusations reflect more on the accuser than the accused.
They can take everything from you, including your life, except your honor and integrity.  That you must give away.
Do or don't do. There is no try.
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Geese Fly in a Proper V
« Reply #1115 on: January 01, 2017, 09:03:07 PM »
We could be interested in renting a house for the weekend.  More information please.
If you wish to know what a man is, place in him authority.
False accusations reflect more on the accuser than the accused.
They can take everything from you, including your life, except your honor and integrity.  That you must give away.
Do or don't do. There is no try.
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

oldbike54

« Reply #1116 on: January 01, 2017, 09:18:57 PM »
We could be interested in renting a house for the weekend.  More information please.

Matt , call the Short Stop at 620 758 2263 and inquire . Or I can call them tomorrow .

We promise not to tell the "bear" story , well , not more than once anyway  :evil:

Nice write up Prescott  :bow:

So , is everyone getting excited yet ? Ask some of the guys that have already attended our little soiree in CV , this is a great site .

Dusty

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #1117 on: January 01, 2017, 09:53:04 PM »
Great summary Esquire!!!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 09:54:02 PM by PJPR01 »
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

oldbike54

« Reply #1118 on: January 02, 2017, 12:13:18 AM »
Well last year couldn't make CV because my wife had Cruise booked.  But this year it's the week after CV. So put me down, with a smile and a haler. Rudy

It's a real party now  :thumb:

Dusty

oldbike54

« Reply #1119 on: January 02, 2017, 12:18:10 PM »
 There has been some discussion about the lack of curves in Kansas . Fortunately there is a nice piece of swervery going out of town on the old highway . No , not very long , maybe 3/4 of a mile , but no traffic . Mention this because some of you guys seem to be challenging others to a contest of skill  :grin: AND , for those in the mood , just South of the Kansas Oklahoma line there are some decent roads .

Dusty

Offline Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
    • Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
« Reply #1120 on: January 02, 2017, 01:04:43 PM »
No , not very long , maybe 3/4 of a mile , but no traffic . Mention this because some of you guys seem to be challenging others to a contest of skill  :grin: AND , for those in the mood , just South of the Kansas Oklahoma line there are some decent roads .

Dusty

3/4 mile of curves.  Haha.  Around here, we look for 3/4 mile of a straight stretch.

Skills test?  I'm in  :evil:
Founder, Wildguzzi.com (est. 1998)
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2020 Indian Challenger Limited
2021 TaoTao TBR7

oldbike54

« Reply #1121 on: January 02, 2017, 04:38:55 PM »
3/4 mile of curves.  Haha.  Around here, we look for 3/4 mile of a straight stretch.

Skills test?  I'm in  :evil:

I didn't want to say this , but we might need some corner workers  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1122 on: January 02, 2017, 05:37:14 PM »
The park and pavilion would make for some great looking shots from a drone. There are some stone bridges in the region which also may be fun get unique pictures from a drone's point of view. If anyone could swing bringing one you probably wouldn't be disappointed.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline ChuckH

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1123 on: January 02, 2017, 05:38:38 PM »
I didn't want to say this , but we might need some corner workers.   Dusty 

Back in the day, I was a corner worker at SCCA sports car races at IRP (Indianapolis Raceway Park).  We had an opportunity to see very inexperienced drivers do dumb things -- slide off into the dirt, roll their cars, crash into each other, etc.  It was fun and we got paid for our time.

Is that what this is about?  What's our pay?
Essential to the pursuit of happiness is knowing when you've caught it.
Life's what happens while you're making other plans.
I always knew I'd get old.  How fast it happened was a bit of a surprise, though.

'08 Chevy Corvette (non-Stealth, Bright Red)

oldbike54

« Reply #1124 on: January 02, 2017, 05:44:00 PM »
Back in the day, I was a corner worker at SCCA sports car races at IRP (Indianapolis Raceway Park).  We had an opportunity to see very inexperienced drivers do dumb things -- slide off into the dirt, roll their cars, crash into each other, etc.  It was fun and we got paid for our time.

Is that what this is about?  What's our pay?

Chuck , you'll have to settle for a PBR  :boozing:

Dusty

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
« Reply #1125 on: January 02, 2017, 06:10:21 PM »
Unless it's FUBAR who crashes.   Then it will be Coors. 
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

oldbike54

« Reply #1126 on: January 02, 2017, 06:14:21 PM »
Unless it's FUBAR who crashes.   Then it will be Coors.

Nah , he's off the stuff ,eating fruits and veggies , even bought a motorbike that was already
running  :shocked:

Dusty

oldbike54

« Reply #1127 on: January 03, 2017, 09:57:12 AM »
 A couple of more points to add . Hewins Park is about as family friendly and safe as anywhere . For those of you with little ones , or dogs , or who are a bit childlike ( :grin:) the park is a wonderful place to play , so bring your frisbees  :laugh: Also , the business district is within walking distance , and there are some cool old houses to see in town .

Dusty

Offline cj750

• Gaggle Mentor
  • "Viva tutte le cose Italiane"
« Reply #1128 on: January 03, 2017, 10:15:14 AM »
And if SmithSwede's and Oldbike's postings are not enough to entice you, there's Kansas' oldest swinging bridge (1904) and Wildcat Creek waterfall in nearby Moline, just a few miles north of Sedan.

Historic swinging bridge:

Majestic Wildcat Creek Falls:
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 10:16:39 AM by cj750 »
Then again, when I was watching Predator I didn't think two members of its cast would become governors, either. So you never know.

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #1129 on: January 03, 2017, 12:44:52 PM »
Chris and Sam...we need a shot in the Swinging bridge like we did in Idaho on the Selway!!
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

oldbike54

« Reply #1130 on: January 03, 2017, 12:48:47 PM »
And if SmithSwede's and Oldbike's postings are not enough to entice you, there's Kansas' oldest swinging bridge (1904) and Wildcat Creek waterfall in nearby Moline, just a few miles north of Sedan.

Historic swinging bridge:

Majestic Wildcat Creek Falls:

"Majestic"  :laugh:

Chris and Sam...we need a shot in the Swinging bridge like we did in Idaho on the Selway!!

I wonder what the bridge is rated for ?? :evil:

Dusty

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1131 on: January 03, 2017, 01:03:55 PM »
I wonder what the bridge is rated for ?? :evil:

Two Guzzista..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline davedel44

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1132 on: January 03, 2017, 04:33:38 PM »
Has anyone invited Frank Wedge?  He's a Kansonian isn't he?

Dave
Galveston
Bambino- 2013 V7 Stone

Offline Darren Williams

• Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Life is too short to go slow!
« Reply #1133 on: January 03, 2017, 05:55:43 PM »
Just saw something that would fit for a Cedar Vale Knotarally tee shirt. "318 miles, 11 curves"   :grin:
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1134 on: January 03, 2017, 06:18:48 PM »
Just saw something that would fit for a Cedar Vale Knotarally tee shirt. "318 miles, 11 curves"   :grin:

I like it! 11? Really?

Does that include the cloverleaf in Wichita?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 06:19:54 PM by Guzzistajohn »
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Darren Williams

• Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Life is too short to go slow!
« Reply #1135 on: January 03, 2017, 07:18:33 PM »

Does that include the cloverleaf in Wichita?

Only if you go around it twice.
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

twowings

« Reply #1136 on: January 03, 2017, 07:21:36 PM »

Only if Lord Aston is there, too...

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1137 on: January 04, 2017, 05:28:06 AM »
That time of year can be real iffy here, (weather), but I going to plan on attending this shindig. It looks like I don't have a conflict at wErk :shocked:, so I'm going to give it a go.

No doubt we'll talk some in the mean time Dusty, so I'll keep you apprised of things.

John Henry

oldbike54

« Reply #1138 on: January 04, 2017, 12:22:03 PM »
 Cool John , looking forward to seeing you again  :thumb:

Dusty

oldbike54

« Reply #1139 on: January 04, 2017, 09:48:20 PM »
 We are still getting requests for someone to do a tutorial on Guzzi Diag . Who wants to teach class?

Oh , here you go Giusto .

Dusty

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here