Author Topic: Hey, is that a Moto Guzzi? Caaarunch!  (Read 14927 times)

tusong200

Re: Hey, is that a Moto Guzzi? Caaarunch!
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2015, 11:14:30 AM »
sorry fellas , not sure what the rider could have done differently . If one sits still after the light turns green , there is a high chance of being rear ended , or at least yelled at .

Dusty

I'll tell you exactly what he could have done. Take the extra 1 or 2 seconds (literally) to look to his left to be sure some a**hole isn't running the red-light. Do you think that's never happened before??

Apparently you think getting T-boned by a red-light runner is less of a concern than being fender bumped by someone right behind you at a stop or maybe (heaven forbid) someone might yell at you? Some twisted logic going on here.

As you lie in your coma you dream that "Yeah, but it was his fault...so I'm good".

tusong200

« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2015, 11:42:43 AM »
How come I can see that car coming clear as a bell?

He didn't see it cuz he didn't look.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 11:44:51 AM by tusong200 »

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2015, 11:55:28 AM »
I've been riding over 50 years and don't see where the MC rider did anything wrong.   He didn't prematurely shoot off the stop.  The car driver was completely careless and at fault.   There's no reason the MC rider could have seen him coming illegally since a car on the drivers right was blocking the mc rider's view of the offending driver.  Unless you ride really cautious this could have happened to you.  Everyone in that intersection was dutiful going about their business except the perpetrator of this accident.

By the time you see the offending car in this video it's too late as the MC rider is now concentrating on going straight across the intersection.  It's like when I hit 2 deer coming across the road in front of me from my left.  I momentarily saw them before impact but it was too late for me to do anything about it.  ~;
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 12:00:38 PM by Arizona Wayne »

dilligaf

« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2015, 12:34:01 PM »
Wayne  :+1  Safety on our highways is a shared responsibility but things happen.  As motorcycle riders, although we may be the biggest looser,  we can not take total responsibility for our safety.  Had the rider waited 10 seconds before he moved and was hit many critics  would say the same thing, should have looked, should have waited. Trust is a poor word when it comes to our safety but if we are going to ride in traffic we have to trust the folks who we share the road with to assume some responsibility for our safety as we do theirs. If we can't trust folks to stop for the stop light then how are we going to ride, push the motorcycle through the intersection.  ::( Many have posted negative comments about the rider. Years ago the USDOT was encouraging the state to pass laws that, for all practical purposes, make the motorcycle responsible for the accident. I don't think the rider did anything wrong but this is where we disagree as many of you don't think he did anything right. Back in the day USDOT felt the same way.  :BEER:
Matt

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2015, 12:34:01 PM »

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2015, 12:46:28 PM »
Dusty posted: "I seldom deal with true urban traffic , it can be a bit overwhelming".
Me too.  However, my brother, who has been riding as long as I have, rides to work, about 40 miles round trip, in Tampa traffic on his TW200 or his Majestic Yamaha scooter.  When I visit I find it very hard to keep up. To me, it appears he has no regard for traffic or his own safety.  He is 72 and to this day has not hit or been hit by a cage.  Last month, when returning from work, around 0200, he got tangled up in some new construction and crashed. He wasn't moving very fast at the time so no injury but the LEO impounded his scooter and made, according to my brother, go to the hospital.  He was given a ticket for reckless operation. Needless to say he is pissed. Only cost him $25.00 to get his scooter back.  He think nothing of splitting lanes, will jump up on the sidewalk to get around traffic you name it. I don't think there is a stop sign in Tampa that he hasn't run.  Now if that's not a communication of street smarts and luck then I have no idea what  is ;-T  :BEER:
Matt

Lucky, indeed!  He sounds like a real sits-on-brains.

dilligaf

« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2015, 12:53:30 PM »
Lucky, indeed!  He sounds like a real sits-on-brains.

I would tend to think so but........... :BEER:
Matt

Offline Joliet Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Justus Esto, Et Non Metue
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2015, 12:55:43 PM »
Well I haven't been hit by a car running a red in 40 years of riding so I must either be an expert or just lucky or a little of both. I think many of you "experts" have been lucky.
1975 T160 Triumph Trident "Spot"
2002 Cali Stone "Moby Dick"
1998 Centauro "Psycho Chicken"
2003 Buell Blast "Pegasus"

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2015, 07:01:33 PM »
This is not a motorcycle event this is a traffic accident and the car is blowing the red light no matter what. I approach every intersection as if someone is going to run a light or a stop sign. Over the years I have avoid a couple of potential T bones as a result of defensive driving.
There was time and space for the biker to see the car blowing the light. Look at this photo. There is what 50 feet separating them. The car has already entered the intersection. The view is unimpeded for the biker. He is going slow enough and should have stopped whether he is on a bike or a truck.
I watch the wheels of vehicles at intersections. I hate those stupid moving hub caps because it makes it harder to tell if the vehicle is moving. But none the less I assume that if a vehicle is moving they are going to blow the light.
I agree with Jim the biker is not paying attention. His camera does not lie. He is looking straight ahead.
I say in the first photo below the car is further into the intersection than the bike is. He is clearly moving and is crossing the white line. 

And the next frame
[URL=http://s1318.photobucket.com/user/redrider901/media/ScreenShot2015-01-31at73727PM_zpsdddf73af.png.html]
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 07:13:54 PM by redrider90 »
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline mach1mustang351

• Hatchling
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2015, 11:40:49 PM »
In the motorcycle game you always have to be more aware than the people around you and defensive at all times.  People don't look for you and even scarier, many may see you, but not care.  Lots of folks say that accidents are always avoidable and I think being careful all the time and being defensive and aware the risk can be reduced significantly... I also believe in the "red Zone" where an accident becomes unavoidable. 

When I was 18 (I know the first reply will be "young rider, no experience, gets in accident" but hear me out), I got into my first, and (knock wood) only accident.  I was making a left had turn onto a well traveled city street.  I had made the left turn and coming in my direction was a Chevy El Camino in the left turn lane.  I had a suspicion that he would try to cut me off to make his left turn.  I decided to cheat right in the lane and slow down to give me more room in case he tried.  He started to turn, thought better of it and stopped.  I held my lane position, thinking the scary part was over with and just like that, he floored it blocking the whole lane and I hit him in the passenger door. 

This is a situation I anticipated, compensated for and could have avoided if he would have done the stupid thing I assessed.  Instead It escalated into a spot where it was unavoidable. 

In the video posted the car was definitely at fault (just like my accident) but the difference is, in my opinion, that the rider was not in the red zone where the accident was entirely unavoidable. Not passing blame or criticizing, but to achieve excellence we need to be critical of ourselves and work to be the best always, especially when it comes to safe riding. 

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2015, 10:40:13 AM »
In the motorcycle game you always have to be more aware than the people around you and defensive at all times.  People don't look for you and even scarier, many may see you, but not care.  Lots of folks say that accidents are always avoidable and I think being careful all the time and being defensive and aware the risk can be reduced significantly... I also believe in the "red Zone" where an accident becomes unavoidable. 

When I was 18 (I know the first reply will be "young rider, no experience, gets in accident" but hear me out), I got into my first, and (knock wood) only accident.  I was making a left had turn onto a well traveled city street.  I had made the left turn and coming in my direction was a Chevy El Camino in the left turn lane.  I had a suspicion that he would try to cut me off to make his left turn.  I decided to cheat right in the lane and slow down to give me more room in case he tried.  He started to turn, thought better of it and stopped.  I held my lane position, thinking the scary part was over with and just like that, he floored it blocking the whole lane and I hit him in the passenger door. 

This is a situation I anticipated, compensated for and could have avoided if he would have done the stupid thing I assessed.  Instead It escalated into a spot where it was unavoidable. 

In the video posted the car was definitely at fault (just like my accident) but the difference is, in my opinion, that the rider was not in the red zone where the accident was entirely unavoidable. Not passing blame or criticizing, but to achieve excellence we need to be critical of ourselves and work to be the best always, especially when it comes to safe riding. 

It is interesting that we all look at the same photos and come away with a different opinion. My red zone be it a cage or a MC is the same. It starts at the white lines and ends when I exit the intersection. I look left first because that is where my first danger is coming from. As I approach the center of the intersection I look right to see if danger is coming from that side. I do not believe green lights tell me it is safe to cross it just tells me it is my turn. When we have ice storms in North Carolina the same thing happens over and over. When a traffic light is out we are supposed to act as if the intersection is a 4 way stop sign. But invariably people on the larger road believe they have the right of way and keep on going without ever slowing down.
I enter intersections looking for moving vehicles that should not be moving. Unless they are clearly coming to a stop I approach with caution.
I see this accident as completely avoidable.  The light turned green and after that the driver of the bike begins to accelerate into the intersection never looking to his left. He was going slow enough that had plenty space to stop fast. Getting T boned in the very front left side of the offending car says he could have seen this car coming especially because he was still in first gear. He had not even shifted yet. Now let's say he is well into the intersection and gets T boned in the rear of the bike. There is a very good indication that he was blindsided by the T bone and never had a chance at seeing it coming. This one was in view of his camera; why was it not in view of his eyes/brain?
Red 90 Mille GT

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here