Author Topic: My Wife and Her Car  (Read 5362 times)

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
My Wife and Her Car
« on: July 06, 2016, 10:21:46 AM »
Wife remarked that she needed an oil change on her beloved Miata.  The shop normally does the change instead of me, because there's a bothersome skidplate that gets removed. 

I say "well be sure you keep enough oil in it until you get it changed."

She says "it's okay, the red light hasn't come on."
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
Re: My Wife and Her Car
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 10:59:36 AM »
My old man used to buy a new Buick every 5 years. Never changed the oil. "Oil?? They put that in at the factory, boy.."
They sure used to run quiet.. I imagine because the valve covers were completely sludged up.  :smiley:
Oh. He never had an issue.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline LeRoy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 11:27:34 AM »
My old man used to buy a new Buick every 5 years. Never changed the oil. "Oil?? They put that in at the factory, boy.."
They sure used to run quiet.. I imagine because the valve covers were completely sludged up.  :smiley:
Oh. He never had an issue.

I think I've seen that ad:

For Sale: 5-year old Buick. Runs well, very quiet. All original including the oil.
LeRoy (Bob Sharp)
Rochester, MI  U.S.A.
'86 LM 1000 (since new in '86)
'79 V1000 G5 (as of '08 and since sold)
'76 V1000 Convert (since Nov. 09)
'83 1000SP (as of Oct. 15)

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 11:44:58 AM »
The shop normally does the change instead of me, because there's a bothersome skidplate that gets removed. 

What year model is it?  I didn't have to remove the skid plate on my '91.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 11:44:58 AM »

Offline atavar

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 12:12:36 PM »
I had an economist tell me one time that the lowest possible cost of ownership for a car is to purchase a 5-8 year old luxury car and do zero maintenance on it until it dies, then scrap it and buy another one that comes with fresh fluids and tires.  Apparently the darn things will often run for five to ten years with no oil changes or filters and the average cost per mile that way is minimum. 
I have not run the numbers.  YMMV
2008 Norge - Black Wing Squadron

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2016, 12:27:12 PM »
I had an economist tell me one time that the lowest possible cost of ownership for a car is to purchase a 5-8 year old luxury car and do zero maintenance on it until it dies, then scrap it and buy another one that comes with fresh fluids and tires.  Apparently the darn things will often run for five to ten years with no oil changes or filters and the average cost per mile that way is minimum. 

What kinds of "luxury" cars was he referring to?  Because, there are all kinds of 10 year old economy cars out there that will do the same, and for less.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2016, 01:29:19 PM »
Back in the 90s a friend bought a new plane Jane Toyota PU. At about 90K miles the timing belt went wrecking the valve train. I asked him about not changing the belt and his response was that he had never even had an oil change. Claimed the motor was still oil tight.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2016, 01:39:16 PM »
Grandson (aged 17) came around last night with his "new" set of wheels, a 1999 Holden Calais. This was the top line model with 18" wheels, supercharged 3.8lit V6  :copcar:  (Buick engine I believe) and leather seats and all the bells and whistles. Some 370,000 on the clock, full service record from day 1, completely oil tight and still drives tight, all for a very reasonable price.

He can't keep the grin off his face.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2016, 01:48:40 PM »
What year model is it?  I didn't have to remove the skid plate on my '91.

It's a 2008 Miatia.  I've never looked at it, but according to online reports, there's a skip plate that has to be removed to get access for the oil change.  Call me lazy, but that's enough for me to send it to the local garage, who changes the oil economically.
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2016, 01:55:04 PM »
My wife's '98 6 speed never had a skid plate. I used to change the oil and filter myself.

Great car. :thumb:
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2016, 02:21:38 PM »
Back in the 90s a friend bought a new plane Jane Toyota PU. At about 90K miles the timing belt went wrecking the valve train. I asked him about not changing the belt and his response was that he had never even had an oil change. Claimed the motor was still oil tight.
GliderJohn

I've never understood interference engines and timing belts in economy cars.

Not very economical when the belt breaks from lack of maintenance!

Mazda, for one, of moved back to non-interference engines.

I don't know why they don't just use chains...
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline atavar

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2016, 03:05:17 PM »
What kinds of "luxury" cars was he referring to?  Because, there are all kinds of 10 year old economy cars out there that will do the same, and for less.
Luxury cars like Cadillac, Buick, Jaguar et.al..  at about 8 years old they are at the bottom of their price curve and wind up being a very good value, and comfy to boot.  The 8 year old Jag sedans in particular seem to be a deal.
2008 Norge - Black Wing Squadron

Offline guzziownr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2016, 03:18:37 PM »
It's a 2008 Miatia. 

Most cars have a plate or guard under the oil filter so road debris doesn't puncture the filter and leave you stranded.  On my Korean Kiddie Kar it comes off with three 10 MM bolts and is made of durable, high quality plastic.  :thumb:
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 03:19:43 PM by guzziownr »
If you ever feel like no one pays attention to you, try making a sandwich in front of your dog

twowings

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2016, 04:33:13 PM »
Get a Fumoto oil valve for the Miata and have a shop drill a 1 1/2" hole in the plate (if not already one there)...at oil change time, a piece of 3/8" clear tubing presses on to the Fumoto...lay free end of tubing in oil drain pan, open Fumoto valve....problem solved!

Offline pete mcgee

• Gosling
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2016, 05:03:04 PM »
My wife has the mechanical sympathy of a house brick.
I would usually find out about problems when her car stopped or on the rare occasions I drove it.
Her outstanding efforts were being able to ignore the scream of the air on belt being dragged around the seized compressor, or the massive vibration caused by centre bearing failure of the drive shaft.
When asked about them and how long had the noise / vibration been happening, the answer was usually about a month or what vibration?
It took a surgical procedure and an act of god to remove her ass from the drivers seat and stop driving for 1/2 a day so I could service it. It often came down to let me work on it it walk when it dies and no you can't borrow mine if that happens.
I feel the Saudi's for once are right.......
Pete (no not the Bungendore one)

Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people look intelligent until you hear them speak....

Offline Idontwantapickle

• Gaggle Hero
  • The rotation of the earth really makes my day.
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2016, 06:21:04 PM »
I would usually find out about problems when her car stopped or on the rare occasions I drove it.
Her outstanding efforts were being able to ignore the scream of the air on belt being dragged around the seized compressor, or the massive vibration caused by centre bearing failure of the drive shaft.
When asked about them and how long had the noise / vibration been happening, the answer was usually about a month or what vibration?
It took a surgical procedure and an act of god to remove her ass from the drivers seat and stop driving for 1/2 a day so I could service it. It often came down to let me work on it it walk when it dies and no you can't borrow mine if that happens.

I do have to mind the maintenance on the car my wife drives. I will say that two of the times I've been most proud of her where when she called me and said "the car seemed to run funny so I cut it off and stopped." Saved it from certain doom.
The other two times were the births of our children.

Hunter
There is no end to what we can do together.
Sir James Paul McCartney

AMA Charter Life Member

72 Eldo
85 LeMans 1000 Loud, Fast and Red
2007 Norge rivestimento di argento
84 BMW R100RS

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2016, 06:30:31 PM »
Dorcia is actually *very* good with machines. The reason I discovered the slowly disintegrating cam lobe on the Lario was she said, "It sounds different than it did.."
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2016, 07:02:31 PM »
Quote from Pete Mcgee:

I think this is the one exception when I would suggest doing a car lease.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline pete mcgee

• Gosling
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2016, 10:36:32 PM »
John,
Good answer, If I was in a financial position to lease that would be a fine idea.
So is buying a near new car with warranty, she HAS to get it serviced as per the maintenance periods
Cuts me right out of the loop  :grin:
I just look at the work and charges done when she gets it back from the service guys.
Everyone's a winner...... :thewife:
Pete (no not the Bungendore one)

Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people look intelligent until you hear them speak....

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2016, 11:46:14 PM »
It's not just women.   Friend of mine had a 1968 Mustang "GT" with the 390 engine, he'd had it since new.   Lots of miles, nicely patina-ed, straight, smooth-running car, daily driver.

Saw it on the side of the road one day, with him under the hood.   Stopped to see, he said "It just started getting hot, and slowing down and then quit running, and now the starter won't even turn it over."   

We started looking to see what it might be, when he commented "Problems seem to come in groups.   The oil pressure gauge quit working a couple days ago ...."

Yep.   No oil pressure, drove it for two days, locked up the motor.  Assumed that the GAUGE had quit ... !

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Online LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2016, 12:11:17 AM »

I think he got it wrong.  7-8 year old Luxury Cars are huge money pits.  I'd go Accord, Camry.  Consumers might note what cars that hold their value and why.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2016, 01:02:11 AM »
I think he got it wrong.  7-8 year old Luxury Cars are huge money pits.  I'd go Accord, Camry.  Consumers might note what cars that hold their value and why.

I think the suggestion is to buy the "luxury car" cheap, and then don't put any money into it except gas, oil, and tires (which you have to do if you're going to drive it).   The theory is that it will run a long time (longer than a Camry or Accord?   Who knows?) and can't be a money pit if you don't spend money on it.

The only problem is that, although the body and drive train may hold up, all the gew-gaws will fail (instruments, power accessories, etc) and make the car miserable to drive.   I've junked several cars that still drove well, but all the gauges, electric windows, air conditioning, trunk latches, etc were dead ...

Lannis

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2016, 06:04:22 AM »
Another complaint; she will fill up only with hi-test even though the owner's manual only calls for mid-grade fuel.
I've tried talking to her, but it doesn't go through.

She is convinced high octane gas is better for the car.
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2016, 07:52:40 AM »
It's a 2008 Miatia.  I've never looked at it, but according to online reports, there's a skip plate that has to be removed to get access for the oil change.  Call me lazy, but that's enough for me to send it to the local garage, who changes the oil economically.
My 1999 has that plate. It is just a plastic shield. Take out three screws and it hinges down. Slightly annoying, but not enough to have me pay someone else to damage my car.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2016, 07:56:23 AM »
Get a Fumoto oil valve for the Miata and have a shop drill a 1 1/2" hole in the plate (if not already one there)...at oil change time, a piece of 3/8" clear tubing presses on to the Fumoto...lay free end of tubing in oil drain pan, open Fumoto valve....problem solved!

The drain plug is exposed. It is the filter that is covered.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

oldbike54

« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2016, 08:15:40 AM »
Another complaint; she will fill up only with hi-test even though the owner's manual only calls for mid-grade fuel.
I've tried talking to her, but it doesn't go through.

She is convinced high octane gas is better for the car.

Wait , has she been reading WG  :evil: Seriously , getting someone , male or female , to become mechanically sympathetic when they are choosing not to be , is a complete waste of time .  A great friend , now gone , believed his motorbikes should run forever with zero maintenance , and any mention of such activity would elicit a far away stare . I learned to "borrow" his bike every so often to perform the needed stuff , he seemed to be fine with our tacit agreement .

Oh , can she cook ?  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2016, 08:27:42 AM »
Wait , has she been reading WG  :evil: Seriously , getting someone , male or female , to become mechanically sympathetic when they are choosing not to be , is a complete waste of time .  A great friend , now gone , believed his motorbikes should run forever with zero maintenance , and any mention of such activity would elicit a far away stare . I learned to "borrow" his bike every so often to perform the needed stuff , he seemed to be fine with our tacit agreement .

Oh , can she cook ?  :laugh:

Dusty

She's a great cook.  I imagine on cooking forums she's complaining about me.  How I'll dash into
the kitchen to eat unheated food, standing up, with my hands.  That I should pause to dine on warm food, seated, with tableware. 

« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 08:29:40 AM by oldbike54 »
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

Offline drlapo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2016, 09:05:57 AM »
Both the drain plug and filter are accessible without removing anything on my07 mx5

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2016, 09:23:02 AM »
Both the drain plug and filter are accessible without removing anything on my07 mx5

According guides, to access the filter on a 2008 Miata you remove a metal plate held by five bolts.
I'll take a look tonight.

For me, the main point of this thread is her idea that there's no reason to add oil until "the red light comes on."
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

Offline tonUPRacer

• Gaggle Mentor
    • My Racer FB page
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2016, 10:35:44 AM »
My wife has a Degree in ME in addition to being a Pediatrician, HOWEVER, I've found it to be good practice to take her car out every once in awhile to listen for anything odd, in addition to handling all routine maintenance. She is however an excellent physician and routinely diagnoses issues with little one's that other Dr's. miss, So yeah she's got me beat.
2013 V7 Racer #393
2001 Ducati 900SS (sold)
1999 Ducati 900M (sold)
1979 HD XLS Sportster (sold)

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here