Author Topic: Wisconsin to Alaska or Bust  (Read 1645 times)

Offline Tkelly

• Gaggle Hero
Wisconsin to Alaska or Bust
« on: July 06, 2016, 05:05:05 PM »
Deb (V7) and I (Stelvio) are planning a 2-month trip to Alaska and back. Plan is to leave August 1 and get to Anchorage around August 15 via Black Hills, Roosevelt N.P., Saskatoon, Edmonton, Whitehorse, Dawson, Chicken to Kodiak, visit daughter on Kodiak, then return on ferry from Whittier to Prince Rupert, then to Glacier to Utah Canyonlands, then home via Colorado, Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa. Planning to camp and stay with friends along the way. We are  re-visiting a trip we took when first married in 1978, Deb on an R60 BMW and me on a KZ900 Kawasaki. We would appreciate any advice as to routes, things to see and beware of, good campgrounds or motels along the way. We would also enjoy meeting other Guzzi folks along the way. If you are interested, please let me know. We have been riding Guzzis since 1979 so my “New Goose” I.D. is a little out of date; “Goose Geezer” makes sense. – Tom Kelly (608)588-7776, 608-583-7603, thomaskelly45@gmail.com

twowings

Re: Wisconsin to Alaska or Bust
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 06:02:25 PM »
If you haven't already, check out the Epic Rides section on advrider.com...plen ty of Alaska RR threads...a thread titled "*yawn* another geezer rides Alaska" is particularly good...also "Tiny Bike to Alaska" has great info and pics...good luck with your trip and keep us posted!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 06:36:53 PM by twowings »

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 06:55:28 PM »
Safe travels to you and Deb.  Don't be smiling too much or people will think you are enjoying the trip!!!   :thumb:
Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

Offline Muley

• Gaggle Hero
  • A good day is when nothing breaks
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 11:01:10 PM »
I love motorcycle trips, and I loved Alaska, but IMHO the two don't really mix.  The roads are just not that great, and rubbernecking is severely limited whilst staying on the lookout for potholes, areas in repair, gravel, wildlife in the road, curious bears, etc.

However, the ferry ride was awesome and my favorite part of the entire trip. :grin:

Two months is a decent time to allow for this trip.  I used up seven weeks and could have taken much, much longer.

Have fun and report on your trip :thumb:
"My mind makes appointments my body can't keep"

Geographic Center of Georgia, a few miles from Jeffersonville

Q:  What is that ?
A:   It's a Moto Guzzi.

Q:   Is it fast ?
A:   No, 'bout like a Harley.

www.georgiapecan.or g

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 11:01:10 PM »

Offline racasey

• Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 11:18:48 PM »
When in Dawson City, Yukon, take time to see Dredge #4 and take the tour offered by the Park Department.  It is one of the most amazing tales in Klondike history.  Before you get there, knowing a bit about the size of most mining claims, as in Sutter Creek, California, or the Klondike gold rush will help you understand how enormous was the "mining concession" granted to this dredge, and the scale of the ecological disaster when gobbling up 49 square miles of forest and spitting out nothing but rocks.

Safe journey,
Dick Casey
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 05:16:57 AM by racasey »
84 V65
1090RR MV Agusta
Paul Smart Ducati
'66 Velocette Thruxton VMT 334
'63 Aermacchi 250
Seeley MK-III AJS 500

Offline Yukonica

• Gaggle Hero
    • Borealbreeze Bernese Mountain Dogs
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2016, 09:46:06 AM »
When in Dawson City, Yukon, take time to see Dredge #4 and take the tour offered by the Park Department.  It is one of the most amazing tales in Klondike history.  Before you get there, knowing a bit about the size of most mining claims, as in Sutter Creek, California, or the Klondike gold rush will help you understand how enormous was the "mining concession" granted to this dredge, and the scale of the ecological disaster when gobbling up 49 square miles of forest and spitting out nothing but rocks.

Safe journey,
Dick Casey

I'm not certain but I think Parks Canada was squeezed at the budget level to drop those tours. Instead you are now accompanied by a tablet with Siri-like personality. I'd still say:see it.... big... really really big. They should do the tour of SS Klondike in Whitehorse too.
One may write one's destiny but the unknown delivers it.

Offline Yukonica

• Gaggle Hero
    • Borealbreeze Bernese Mountain Dogs
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2016, 09:54:38 AM »
Welcome to North of 60. Do you have a rough date for being in Whitehorse area? If I'm not tied up or out of town I'd have a beer or burger with you.
Again, timing is everything but I have space enough for your camping needs in Whitehorse area.
Things to see: lots. Depends on your interests and schedule. I'd stop at the McBride Museum (Whitehorse) if you want a quick view to the past.
PM me and we can talk about the Yukon portion of your trip. If you have time I'd highly recommend the road in(and out) to Haines Alaska. One of the nicest unfettered pieces of asphalt up here.

Don.
One may write one's destiny but the unknown delivers it.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2016, 11:24:08 AM »
The fun part of dawson city is getting out of town along the river.  The remains of steamboats and the 100+y-o mining garbage keep me occupied for hours.  They're tangled up in the devils club and salmonberries all along the river, sometimes two across and two deep.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here