Author Topic: Europe and Nordkapp trips  (Read 11136 times)

Offline twodogs

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Europe and Nordkapp trips
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2017, 05:54:13 AM »
Awesome  :boozing:
2-2023 Yamaha TW200
2022 Triumph 850 sport

Offline Rayjv

• New Egg
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2017, 06:51:31 AM »
Terrific story , did a similar trip last year , year before & year before that .....on my 96' Moto Guzzi 1100i cal. . Yes I do have newer bikes (Harley , 2013 Norge , Ducati ST3 blah blah bla) but my wife loves the 96' Guzzi and the dam thing runs excellent . Leaving again for Europe this time doing the "eastern tour" .....you could easily spend a month in France , Germany , or Italy buzzing around and not seeing the same sights , it amazing . For those who never done the European thing ......go for it !  Your story was/is a reminder of the best riding of my life .....done all America (all states 3 X) and most of Canada BUT  nothing comes close to the alps of mid Europe to the coast of Spain.......the whole place is tremdous trip .
As said before : don't let the fear of what could happen make nothing happen... . Apparently you have some serious stones and the mindset of an explorer .....I'll be in Southampton this June picking up my Guzzi ...... I'll keep an eye open for ya and we'll have a couple of brews ....... you buying mate ?

Offline Rayjv

• New Egg
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2017, 06:56:28 AM »
Terrific story , did a similar trip last year , year before & year before that .....on my 96' Moto Guzzi 1100i cal. . Yes I do have newer bikes (Harley , 2013 Norge , Ducati ST3 blah blah bla) but my wife loves the 96' Guzzi and the dam thing runs excellent . Leaving again for Europe this time doing the "eastern tour" .....you could easily spend a month in France , Germany , or Italy buzzing around and not seeing the same sights , it amazing . For those who never done the European thing ......go for it !  Your story was/is a reminder of the best riding of my life .....done all America (all states 3 X) and most of Canada BUT  nothing comes close to the alps of mid Europe to the coast of Spain.......the whole place is tremdous trip .
As said before : don't let the fear of what could happen make nothing happen... . Apparently you have some serious stones and the mindset of an explorer .....I'll be in Southampton this June picking up my Guzzi ...... I'll keep an eye open for ya and we'll have a couple of brews ....... you buying mate ?

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2017, 07:24:55 AM »
Well yes Ray if we can meet. I'm sending the long suffering Norge to Europe again this year and will be collecting it in London on or about August 2.  I'm off to Nordkapp again first off 'cos I remembered I forgot (that sounds a bit funny !) to take a photo at the monument, so I'll have to duck back up before I go down to the bottom of Italy to Sicily. Now here's a funny thing about touring o/s as I see it.  If you leave Australia to tour Europe, people say you've done something really great or something. But leaving Oz for U.K. is 23 hrs out of your life in a plane...that's all, once you get to UK, you're not doing anything that English riders don't do every day, so then you get on a ferry. Then you're not doing anything that French riders don't do every day, so then you cross into Denmark and you're not doing anything the Danes don't do every day, so then.... Blah blah ...I'd say to anyone who asks "what's the hardest bit" the answer is, getting off your bum, calling your shipping agent and saying," when can I ship my bike to U.K." After that it's just bit by bit. Clearly this is not news to you 'cos you've done just as much if not more, but it's just lots of little rides all stretched out in one direction. BTW, if you're interested in the bike I use, you can hit the search button and search "wire wheel Norge" or "Huzo's mods" it's just that I've been asked before what bike I choose, simples !!! I take the one I've got.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 07:30:28 AM by Huzo »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2017, 07:24:55 AM »

Offline Rayjv

• New Egg
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2017, 07:54:59 AM »
Thank you for your remarketable fast reply . I'm still trying to figure out this sight .....may take me a while .......as for your bike : why the hell would you want to revert back to spokes besides giving a better ride ........I'd give my tooth(only one left) for safer mags ........I've toured Europe (4X) with my 96' and a full load (wife + luggage = 450+ lbs.) on Michelin tires never a problem but not thrilled about it especially at 80 mph ......... becoming road kill scares the hell out of me .... take care mate .  Fin .

Offline t3caligraham

• New Egg
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2017, 08:58:43 AM »
Inspiring indeed and I'm in the UK.

BTW - any Guzzi folk coming this way and need a place to stay - I'm near Gatwick airport, about 30 minutes south of London.  Handy for airports and the ferry to all things European mainland
V1200 Sport
Sold T3 850 California... fun with a sidecar

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2017, 06:09:27 PM »
Thank you for your remarketable fast reply . I'm still trying to figure out this sight .....may take me a while .......as for your bike : why the hell would you want to revert back to spokes besides giving a better ride ........I'd give my tooth(only one left) for safer mags ........I've toured Europe (4X) with my 96' and a full load (wife + luggage = 450+ lbs.) on Michelin tires never a problem but not thrilled about it especially at 80 mph ......... becoming road kill scares the hell out of me .... take care mate .  Fin .
Dunno that mags are "safer" Ray, but not gonna argue with you 'cos I don't necessarily disagree and also I did do the first 90,000 k's on the mags and yes, they're ok. Also I don't claim that they give a better ride, so back to your question, why would I do it? Well, I don't know how to tell you without sounding (more) arrogant, it's 'cos I can mate. I did a post on "mag wheel Norge" but no one seemed interested...My partner says the bike is one of the two things that I can't leave well alone, she says I should have a Red V Twin tea towel, that'd be a bonus !!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 06:18:42 PM by Huzo »

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2017, 06:12:43 PM »

BTW - any Guzzi folk coming this way and need a place to stay - I'm near Gatwick airport, about 30 minutes south of London.  Handy for airports and the ferry to all things European mainland
Jeez that's interesting. I stay in Epsom/Surey when there and go past your place on way to Dover.... Hmmmm, I'll watch this space. Thanks mate. BTW, not interested in a ride to the Arctic Circle are you ?

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2017, 07:36:38 PM »
Part Six (Final).                                                                                                                                                     Fifteen thousand kilometres had passed beneath the wheels of the Guzzi on the 2016 trip and fifty five thousand in total over the three visits to Europe. There are hundreds of small incidents that remain etched in the memory, from travelling in what is for me, a foreign country, and I can feel myself becoming less uncertain each time with the unknowns that such a venture brings. I now have my trip deposits paid for 2017 but mercifully for the reader I'll spare you all the ordeal of another write up, eventually they all begin to sound the same... I haven't ruled out Russia for 2017 but I'll need to decide soon.
 I'm not sure if I got a small touch of startus interruptus at the Collosseum in Rome, I might not have had the sidestand fully up or something, but apart from that, the Norge was completely faultless over the course of the trips and if there's a better bike to tour on then I'll have to get out more, 'cos I've yet to see it and certainly haven't ridden it, after 40 years of touring.                                                                                                                                                       So it was in the fading light of the Imorex depot in Felixstowe that I completed the last of the preparations for Get Routed to return my bike to Australia and picked up the small carry bag of things to carry on the ‘plane.
The 60 or so kilograms of gear, that had been carried over tens of thousands of kilometres and numerous mountain passes, was no longer a load for my Norge to carry and the wonderful bike that had been my home for so many months and over such immense distances, could at last have a well earned rest.
I knew that soon there would be thousands of kilometres between us, but I had never felt closer.                                                                                         

As the V Twin cooled down and the clicking sounds subsided, I took one last look and in the fading light of the lonely building among the crates and cardboard boxes, stared for a while at the shadowy silouette of the Guzzi, I felt she deserved better, but I turned away and left my lovely Red 2007 Norge GTL in the safety of the  warehouse in the shipping port town of Felixstowe.
 I knew we would meet again in the Australian sunshine.

Many thanks go to Paul Harris and Serena Powis of Corsa Italiana for their wonderful friendship and support in Epsom and South London.
Simon and Brian from Corsa.
Ann Lemmon for Australian support and bailing me out of trouble with some crazy complex 'phone hookups.
Barry Stoddart, the only bloke that I tour with these days and for coming over at zero notice in 2014 and completing the remainder of the trip on a borrowed bike.
But especially David Milligan from Get Routed Motorcycle Shipping Services.
David and all these people have been involved at some point to help make happen my trip/s of a lifetime. I owe you all and will never forget it, thank you.
Peter Hughes.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 04:30:20 AM by Huzo »

Offline Moz

• Gosling
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2017, 12:58:17 AM »
 :gotpics:
'82 le mans iii
'08 cafe's bellagio
'20 V85TT

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2017, 08:36:58 AM »
:gotpics:

+10....need some pics to accompany the prose!  Good stories!
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2017, 12:26:44 PM »
Yeah chaps, sorry (sort of), I didn't take any shots in 2015 and didn't take the digital camera out of the bag 2016. I do have a 3 hr DVD of 2015 on the GS on you tube titled "Pete Hughes 2015 Europe Trip" and I have one from 2016 on the Guzzi but haven't posted it yet, but that's as good as it gets I'm afraid. Others have done better publicising their journeys but I tend to be a bit of a loner like that. I was actually ( believe it or not) a bit reticent to do the story, but anyway....I did.

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2017, 07:12:44 AM »
Yes Ray, I'll give you a call or something before I cross the pond for Calais in August. Last year at Nordkapp I was a bit early, so this year a couple of months later should be good .

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2017, 04:57:55 AM »
Does anyone have an appraisal of a trip into Canada/Alaska up the Dalton Highway like what the Ice Road truckers do, or anything in that area ?

Offline 12SCraig

• New Egg
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2017, 12:04:39 AM »
Regarding Canada, If you'd asked on Saturday night at Boggy Creek, Id have introduced you to Oldmate Steve ( Hawaiian shirt ), he ended up north of the Arctic  circle in Alaska a couple of years back.
You might not have looked so fresh the following morning though. It was a thirsty night. 

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2017, 01:03:52 AM »
Regarding Canada, If you'd asked on Saturday night at Boggy Creek, Id have introduced you to Oldmate Steve ( Hawaiian shirt ), he ended up north of the Arctic  circle in Alaska a couple of years back.
You might not have looked so fresh the following morning though. It was a thirsty night.
Maybe lucky for him that you didn't Craig. Poor bugger would have been lumbered with a freeloader, would have been interesting though. Maybe I should contact him for some guidance. And thank you again for inviting me, they are a good bunch and the Laverdas were tasty also. What was he riding on that occasion ?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 01:06:50 AM by Huzo »

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2017, 09:31:39 AM »
Will you be doing another ride where he will be present any time soon ?

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2017, 12:46:07 PM »
Hi Ray. Was just reading over my Europe and Nordkapp trip post and saw that you're in tha Southampton area. I'm picking up my Norge in London on Aug 2, are you gunna' be about ?

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2017, 12:56:34 PM »
Also hi to t3caligraham. Saw that you are near Gatwick, I come in at Heathrow but will be heading to Dover, so can you e mail me your address ?    peterhughesxx@gmail.com

Offline flangeman_70

• Gosling
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2017, 06:44:38 AM »
PM sent.

BR.

Adam
You only went to school to learn how to learn

Adam

SP III 1990
V10 Centauro 1996

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2017, 01:48:19 AM »
PM sent.

BR.

Adam
Nothing on my messages

Offline TimmyTheHog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2017, 01:27:36 AM »
Thanks for directing me to this thread with many thanks!

Sounds like truly a fun with lots of excitements, and I have taken in the moment as it was my own...

But I honestly believe no words can fully describe how wonderful and exciting of what you saw and felt with the red Norge. Even tho you did put them gracefully and in most entertaining ways!

Again, thank you!...

With time, I will do the same...but until then, cheers friend! With another adventure awaits!

Edit: it did took me 2 weeks to read it all...lol...when the duty calls :P

« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 01:29:22 AM by TimmyTheHog »
Life isn't WHAT IS at the end.
It is HOW and WHAT you are doing to get there.

03 Honda Shadow Spirit - The Purple Beast (SOLD)
15 Guzz V7 Stone - The Red Chick (SOLD)
18 BMW R1200GS Rallye - The Blue Streak (SOLD)

Currently Bikeless...*cry*

Offline perter

• SP1000 owner since Aug 2015
  • New Egg
« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2017, 02:20:45 AM »
If anyone plans to do a trip along the boring piece of land called Denmark in 2018, I have a nice log shelter on my field and a dry garage, warm shower, cold beer and a dry garage you can loan for free. I'm located 80km north of the German border on the east coast. Pretty close to the landmark "skamlingsbanken",  with 113m the highest point in Southern Denmark.

PM me in advance if interested

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2017, 06:21:09 PM »
Thanks for directing me to this thread with many thanks!

Sounds like truly a fun with lots of excitements, and I have taken in the moment as it was my own...

But I honestly believe no words can fully describe how wonderful and exciting of what you saw and felt with the red Norge. Even tho you did put them gracefully and in most entertaining ways!

Again, thank you!...

With time, I will do the same...but until then, cheers friend! With another adventure awaits!

Edit: it did took me 2 weeks to read it all...lol...when the duty calls :P
Well no worries mate that's fine.
You said you like to read about trips, so I thought that saga would either keep you amused or put you off for life..
Anyway, a package will be coming your way soon, I'll let you know when I've posted it.
Someone else has 2015 but will be finished with it soon.
Huzo.

Offline TimmyTheHog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2017, 06:50:31 PM »
Well no worries mate that's fine.
You said you like to read about trips, so I thought that saga would either keep you amused or put you off for life..
Anyway, a package will be coming your way soon, I'll let you know when I've posted it.
Someone else has 2015 but will be finished with it soon.
Huzo.

Thank man!

And yes I do like to read trips type of literature and shows :) i can sort of pretend I am there...until I can do that myself :)

Looking forward to your package!
Life isn't WHAT IS at the end.
It is HOW and WHAT you are doing to get there.

03 Honda Shadow Spirit - The Purple Beast (SOLD)
15 Guzz V7 Stone - The Red Chick (SOLD)
18 BMW R1200GS Rallye - The Blue Streak (SOLD)

Currently Bikeless...*cry*

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2017, 07:31:59 PM »
Thank man!

And yes I do like to read trips type of literature and shows :) i can sort of pretend I am there...until I can do that myself :)

You'll be right mate..
Don't lose the desire, that's the one thing you can't buy.
Huzo.

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2019, 04:27:26 PM »

Hi t3c..
I’m going to be coming back through your way at the end of this trip, so if you wanna’ grab a free coffee, giz a shout on the forum and we can bolt something together.
Huzo.

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2019, 04:29:09 PM »

Thank you Timmy..
But I’d be careful where I said that... :wink:

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2019, 09:43:25 AM »
I sense that part of the reason you wrote about your travels is to help anchor the memories.  It's made me think of places I've been and places that I may yet travel to.  What I can tell is that on all the trips, if I had not been on a motorbike , I would not even remember the trip. 
Another funny thing was that about a month ago as I was getting my wife's '02 Stone out of winter storage and looking it over, I noticed that I had neglected changing out the relays, replacing the ones with a bad reputation . I wasn't thinking about being a highly trained and experienced retired EMS helicopter maintenance inspector as I deftly used my small screwdriver to help lift out the first relay. So when I saw the small spark, I thought about the multitude of non metallic pry bars and the like two steps away in the top drawer of the toolbox.
Thanks, good reading this am
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2019, 04:39:55 PM »
Initially John it was for the Moto Guzzi club GB magazine.
But I delayed it so as to write it during the trip/s. Anyway it’s as you say, because eventually all the trip stories start to sound the same.
2021 Mandello should be a bit of a highlight though.
I’d like to have 200,000 on the Norge by then, will be 180,000 by the end of this one, so I’m on track.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here