Author Topic: Relay order on a '03 Cali Hydro  (Read 517 times)

Online jrt

• Gaggle Mentor
Relay order on a '03 Cali Hydro
« on: September 06, 2021, 05:10:49 PM »
Hi All,
I've looked, but I can't find....
What is the order of the relays (not fuses) on a 2003 California Hydro?  From left to right, there is a group of 4, space then one, space then one. 

My bike just up and quit on me- I happened to be pulling in my driveway at the time (how convenient!) and thought I ran out of gas.  But I put some gas in from a can, it started and ran just fine to the station where it didn't take much to fill it.  I thought that was weird, but whatever.  Started up to head home and it died on me again, so I pulled into some shade, checked the fuses, jiggled the relays and various wires, this and that and it started again.  Almost made it home, but it died again and no amount of jiggling would encourage it to start. 
The starter works just fine.  The fuel pump works just fine.  I long-ago disconnected the side-stand interlock.  So, I thought maybe it is one of the relays, so I swapped (left to right is 1-6) relays 1 and 2.  Relay 1 was really, really hard to get out, but didn't look too corroded.  Anyhow- after swapping 1 and 2 it started right up and ran fine, but the horn isn't working now.  So- is relay #1 the ECU and relay #2 the horn?  These are all Tyco relays, btw.  I thought only the Seimens were the ones to replace.  I guess I should replace at least one of them now...Does Pyro Dan still sell relays? 
Thanks- JRT
L-720
1973 Eldorado
2003 Yardbird (1100 hydro)
2020 R1250RS

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
Re: Relay order on a '03 Cali Hydro
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2021, 06:13:47 PM »
I have heard it said that there is no special way they are arranged from factory. Every one may be different. On my 98 the 1st two are sidestand and horn. The rest I haven't checked with wiring diag which is what is required. I had 4 from Dan and put them in the important ones, which wasn't sidestand or horn. I was doing same as you but just cleaning for maint.
Dan is still selling them.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Online StuCorpe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2021, 06:30:15 PM »
On my 2003 they are like this.

and here is another one

Online jrt

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2021, 06:58:31 PM »
Interesting....than ks for the replies!
J
L-720
1973 Eldorado
2020 R1250RS

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2021, 06:58:31 PM »

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2021, 05:34:30 AM »
If one of the relays was hard to get out it's possible the relay base is a bit loose resulting in a frying contact welding itself in place.
I would grease the pins with a little Vaseline perhaps and work them in and out a few times.
I think your bike is probably something like this.
https://www.thisoldtractor.com/guzzi007/schematics/2002_Stone.gif
May I suggest you add a small lamp to fuse 1, I'd be willing to bet you would find it flickering as the ECU loses power through the interlocks.
Really if it suddenly dies it pretty much has to be the ECU dropping out, dirty Ignition switch perhaps have you ever dropped the contact off and cleaned it?
The contact is held on by two Phillips screws from underneath, a 10 minute job to wipe out the old grease and replace with fresh Vaseline, drop the battery negative off first to make it safe.
Sometimes the wires snap off at the switch when they work harden as a result of the constant bending with steering action,

This is a V7 switch, yours will have more wires, they snap off next to the solder, the trick is to fasten the wires to the cover so they flex over several inches rather than the weak point.
What's your milage at?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 06:13:19 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Online jrt

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2021, 06:53:21 AM »
Thanks Roy- those are good suggestions.  I'll check and clean the switch.  The pins on the relays were pretty dry, so maybe that one did weld itself.  Weird. 
I'll have a look at the wire colors in there as well- maybe I can figure out what that first relay does.
J
L-720
1973 Eldorado
2020 R1250RS

Online Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2021, 07:26:34 AM »
Yes, Pyro Dan still sells relays. I just bought a set.

On my 2004 EV, the bike was getting hard to start. Odd. One day it just quit when going down the road. It eventually started. It turned out to be that first relay in the front.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Online jrt

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2021, 09:01:12 AM »
Thanks Wayne, I just sent a note to Dan.

It sounds like what you experienced was the same as my experience (died/ran/died, replaced first relay and ran).  Well, guess I have some work this weekend. 
J
L-720
1973 Eldorado
2020 R1250RS

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2021, 10:14:07 AM »
Most Guzzi's use the normally open contacts 30 - 97 these have a higher rating than the normally closed contacts.
Sometimes the side stand is Normally closed, you can tell by looking into the socket, is there a contact in the middle small one?
The normally open are closed under the influence of the coil but the normally closed just rely on a fairly weak spring.
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here