Author Topic: Low Mileage LMIV on the lift  (Read 2380 times)

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
  • It's never too late to be what you might have been
Low Mileage LMIV on the lift
« on: March 22, 2022, 01:02:22 PM »
Hesitate to post on the 'builds' board as this is really just a refresh, and I'm not at the level of the guys typically found here. Still, its bringing a slumbering beauty back to life, and I value everyone's experience. FEEL FREE to opine at your pleasure.

-'85 LeMans 1000
-< 14k on the clock
-stock, except for Dyna Ignition coils and bar end mirrors, as far as I know at this point.
16 year old Metzelers.

Parked 4 years ago due to health issues. Ethanol laden fuel left in the tank and carbs. Petcocks off and in a climate controlled midwestern garage.

It's only done 3000 miles since 2009, and 0 in the last 4 years. So while it's certainly has not been abused, it's care and maintenance has left room for improvement. Dead as a doornail, and I've not even thought about cranking anything until she's gone through.

Plan is to drain and replace all fluids. Fuel lines and brake lines are brittle. PROBABLE carb rebuild. New battery. New Tires.
Thoughts on the airbox and large crossover being launched are welcome.

LM 1000 owners...what did you do for tires last time you needed them?

And awaaaaay we go!

'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Low Mileage LMIV on the lift
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2022, 01:12:30 PM »
It's amazing how quickly this becomes just another Tonti...

Never ever seen so many zip ties employed.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2022, 01:14:59 PM by kidsmoke »
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Offline Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2022, 10:06:01 PM »
nice! Keep the pics coming!
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2022, 09:02:10 PM »
Clean and very good looking bike.  Hopefully just a careful going through and fresh tires.  Please post many pics.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2022, 09:02:10 PM »

Online lazlokovacs

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2022, 10:30:28 AM »
lovely bike

I think those dyna coils are 99percent likely to be junk now.

Great coils, but the manufacturer specifies that they must be mounted to the frame at both ends, this is to aid heat dissipation....

Looks like your PO took the easier cable tie route!

Brackets off 80s jap bikes can be fairly easily modified to fit the guzzi frame behind the side cover, If I had a smart phone I'd snap you some pics of how I did it...

And... is that a 16 front wheel? Make sure you run the updated air pressures.

FWIW I prefer a 16 wheel on the later lemans

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2022, 02:40:26 PM »
lovely bike

I think those dyna coils are 99percent likely to be junk now.

Great coils, but the manufacturer specifies that they must be mounted to the frame at both ends, this is to aid heat dissipation....

Looks like your PO took the easier cable tie route!

Brackets off 80s jap bikes can be fairly easily modified to fit the guzzi frame behind the side cover, If I had a smart phone I'd snap you some pics of how I did it...

And... is that a 16 front wheel? Make sure you run the updated air pressures.

FWIW I prefer a 16 wheel on the later lemans

You're spot on re: those coils. That's why I shared the photo, about the only headscratcher that arose during her disrobing, which is a good thing! That's the first order of business, fab'bing a mount.  I'm hoping you're wrong about them being toast. They've got less than 3k miles on them. I'm going to run them and hope. It'll be a quick trouble shoot if there is a fail.

Yessir...she's a legit survivor. 16" front wheel, airbox, even the 'colostomy bag'. Only the aforementioned coils and the mirrors were addressed over the first 37 years.
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Online lazlokovacs

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2022, 05:40:25 AM »
good stuff let us know if the coils prove to be good....

Offline Idontwantapickle

• Gaggle Hero
  • The rotation of the earth really makes my day.
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2022, 02:26:00 PM »
You asked about tires.....
I have Pirelli Sport Demons on my 1985 Lemans 1000. They work a treat!
There is no end to what we can do together.
Sir James Paul McCartney

AMA Charter Life Member

72 Eldo
85 LeMans 1000 Loud, Fast and Red
2007 Norge rivestimento di argento
84 BMW R100RS

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2022, 11:49:24 PM »
You asked about tires.....
I have Pirelli Sport Demons on my 1985 Lemans 1000. They work a treat!

I appreciate the feedback! I’ve spent far more time entering tire sizes in an effort to find a matched set for this bike than I have all times previously combined, and came up empty 99 % of the time.  Pirelli included. Ended up getting a a pair of Battlax BT46. Literally the only set I could find.

Just got them on the bike today. Trying the coil mount solution tomorrow.
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Offline guzziart

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2022, 07:43:30 AM »
Ended up getting a a pair of Battlax BT46. Literally the only set I could find.

I'm running Dunlop GT501's on my '87 LMIVSE w/16" front but they're near the end of their useful life.  I'd like to replace them with a matched set too but when I was looking last Fall everyone was out of stock on the fronts.  If you don't mind, I like to know where you were able to find your BT's.  The Dunlops were originally installed by the PO so, I replaced them with the same several years ago but never liked them because the rear wheel would loose traction when I'd roll on the throttle while midway through a turn from a stop..every now & then.

Thanks,

Art

PS - FWIW, I also put the ign coils & headlight circuits on a relays.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2022, 07:48:52 AM by guzziart »
'71 CB350, '72 Eldo, '72 CL350, '81 CB125s, '87 LMIVSE, '91 CT70, '03 V11 Lemans, '08 Wing  ('12 Wee Strom - R.I.P.)

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2022, 11:22:20 PM »
I'm running Dunlop GT501's on my '87 LMIVSE w/16" front but they're near the end of their useful life.  I'd like to replace them with a matched set too but when I was looking last Fall everyone was out of stock on the fronts.  If you don't mind, I like to know where you were able to find your BT's.  The Dunlops were originally installed by the PO so, I replaced them with the same several years ago but never liked them because the rear wheel would loose traction when I'd roll on the throttle while midway through a turn from a stop..every now & then.
Thanks,Art
PS - FWIW, I also put the ign coils & headlight circuits on a relays.

Hey Art. Now that the BT's are on the bike, and the feedback i received I feel pretty good about them. Haven't had the time I'd like so they haven't been tested yet. Hopefully this weekend. I found the set here:

AmericanMotoTire.co m

Free shipping to Indy from Phoenix. Had them 48 hours after clicking 'complete purchase'. Astounded. very fair price, too.

As for the bike, let's face it, feeding a thread like this is but one more way in which I'm no 'ChuckInIndiana'. And truth be told there's not much to show.

-Every electrical connection separated and blasted with DeOxit
-new banjos and inlet filters on the Dellortos
-new fuel crossover
-new hoses for the breather system: Large from crank to frame, small from frame to breather, 2 small from frame to valve covers
-new vent lines for carbs
-tires
-battery
-cables lubed
-new stainless brake lines x4
-new plugs and wires
-new rubber brake line retainers on the front fender
-metal mount to frame for ignition coils
-one new heli-coil in the sump
-every fluid on board

all that's left is to bleed the brakes and deal with an annoying fairing / headlight relationship that just aint right. Other than that I'm about to fire it up, and see how oblivious previous folks were to the tuning peculiarities of these carbs.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2022, 11:29:15 PM by kidsmoke »
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Offline guzziart

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2022, 08:07:48 AM »
Hey Art. Now that the BT's are on the bike, and the feedback i received I feel pretty good about them. Haven't had the time I'd like so they haven't been tested yet. Hopefully this weekend. I found the set here:

AmericanMotoTire.co m

Free shipping to Indy from Phoenix. Had them 48 hours after clicking 'complete purchase'. Astounded. very fair price, too.

As for the bike, let's face it, feeding a thread like this is but one more way in which I'm no 'ChuckInIndiana'. And truth be told there's not much to show.

Hi Kidsmoke,

Thanks for the tire tip, I just ordered a set from amt.  I didn't know the BT45's were replaced by the BT46's.

Nice job mounting the coils properly and the other things you've done,.  I had to go through my SE pretty much the same as you... a whole bunch of routine maintenance stuff and a little more.  It had been sitting for about a decade before I got it in 2010 but the previous owner did a good job in storing it (imo).
On mine I did..
Tires, fork seals, wheel bearings, ss brake lines, rebuild front br. master cyl, clean HB switch contacts, hdl & starter relays, breather hoses, fuel lines, rebuild carbs, Delrin intake manifolds, u joint, carrier bearing, swings arm brgs, re-seal r. drive, clutch pushrod seals, battery and a few other things (H-B bags).  Yeah, definitely nothing like Chuck does.  I did do my '72 Eldo that was more indepth but still nothing like Chuck stuff.

I still don't know if I'll ever do anything to the gray bag panels so they're a better match to the SE paint scheme or what I'll do if the front trapezoidal master cylinder ever leaks (again) since parts seem unobtanium.

Anyway, enjoy your LMIV, it's nice!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2022, 08:16:07 AM by guzziart »
'71 CB350, '72 Eldo, '72 CL350, '81 CB125s, '87 LMIVSE, '91 CT70, '03 V11 Lemans, '08 Wing  ('12 Wee Strom - R.I.P.)

Offline pressureangle

• Gaggle Mentor
  • '97 1100 Sport i, '89 Mille GT
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2022, 08:32:13 AM »
Here's the photo album from my restoration. Check what I did with the coils- the bracket was for a H-D Sportster, I'll have a look to see if I can find the source. The photos are in no particular order...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CsYxL1e8Nly9Nial2
Something wistful and amusing, yet poignant.

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2022, 10:00:04 AM »
Here's the photo album from my restoration. Check what I did with the coils- the bracket was for a H-D Sportster, I'll have a look to see if I can find the source. The photos are in no particular order...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CsYxL1e8Nly9Nial2

Thats a beautiful bike, PA.

I recognize the Bub headers/crossover. What are the silencers?
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Offline pressureangle

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2022, 10:49:04 AM »
Thats a beautiful bike, PA.

I recognize the Bub headers/crossover. What are the silencers?

The exhaust is BUB end to end. A lightly used eBay acquisition I jumped on. They sound great but I think they throttle the top end a little. I'd like to find something a little more modern for comparison. BTW in no measure a stock engine, where these pipes would be outstanding.

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2022, 12:20:40 PM »
The exhaust is BUB end to end. A lightly used eBay acquisition I jumped on. They sound great but I think they throttle the top end a little. I'd like to find something a little more modern for comparison. BTW in no measure a stock engine, where these pipes would be outstanding.

should you find that 'something a little more modern', put me in line for the BUBs. I have BUB on my G5 and would welcome that kit on my LM.
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Offline guzziart

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2022, 07:39:53 PM »
Here's the photo album from my restoration. The photos are in no particular order...

Nice job!

Hey Kidsmoke... so I ordered the tires from AMT yesterday morning, they showed up here a few hours ago!

Art

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2022, 08:29:49 PM »
Nice job!

Hey Kidsmoke... so I ordered the tires from AMT yesterday morning, they showed up here a few hours ago!

Art

And with free shipping! It’s insane! That’s great. I’ll be interested to hear what you think of them.  They’ve earned my business.
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2022, 08:48:31 PM »
AMT is my "go to" supplier for tires. Unfortunately, the tires I needed this time were out of stock there. Had to deal with Chaparral (non-existent customer service) and JP Cycles (sent an old tire).
Charlie

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2022, 09:02:35 PM »
Nice looking LeMans!
48 Guzzi Airone, 57 Guzzi Cardellino, 65 Benelli 200 sprite, 66 Aermacchi Sprint, 68 Gilera 106 SS, 72 Eldorado, 72 Benelli 180, 74 Guzzi 750S, 73 Laverda SF1, 74  Benelli 650S, 75 Ducati 860GT, 75 Moto Morini 3-1/2, 78 Moto Morinii 500

Offline guzziart

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2022, 06:39:41 AM »
AMT is my "go to" supplier for tires. Unfortunately, the tires I needed this time were out of stock there. Had to deal with Chaparral (non-existent customer service) and JP Cycles (sent an old tire).

Yeah, I was disappointed that my BT46's from AMT are kind of old (front, 103 weeks & rear 63 weeks) but when I was looking last Fall everybody was out of the fronts and I wanted a matched pair so I put off buying jsut a rear.  In the past I rejected anything more than 8-10 monthes old, I guess those days are gone for the time being.  Anyway, these tires have to be better than the 12+ year old skins on the LMIVSE now. :laugh:

Offline pressureangle

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2022, 09:02:23 AM »
For what it's worth, if I recall correctly Dyna doesn't recommend 3 ohm coils for long-term street use; the current through the module is higher than with the 5 ohm black coils. Maybe do some homework on that.

Offline guzziart

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2022, 07:13:32 AM »
Yeah, I was disappointed that my BT46's from AMT are kind of old (front, 103 weeks & rear 63 weeks) but when I was looking last Fall everybody was out of the fronts and I wanted a matched pair so I put off buying jsut a rear.  In the past I rejected anything more than 8-10 monthes old, I guess those days are gone for the time being.  Anyway, these tires have to be better than the 12+ year old skins on the LMIVSE now. :laugh:

Update:  I now have the BT46's on the SE and like them!

Online kfz

• Gosling
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2022, 09:20:58 AM »
BT46's  they are fantastic but dont expect  great mileage out of them...

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2022, 11:53:27 AM »
Thanks for replying and reminding me I owe this thread an update. I've gotten this bike mechanically buttoned up and running well. I've listed everything above. Finally got the linked brakes properly bled after rebuild.

Only thing remaining is that the headlight and tailight fail to illuminate in std running mode, the brake light works when hitting the pedal, but not when using the front lever only. So the brake light bulbs are fine and there is power to them. the headlight works when flashing high beam, but not std running mode.

What say you? Switch gear or harness?

'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2022, 07:55:09 AM »
Great score, beautiful bike and nice work. I just now saw this thread, thanks for making it and sharing with us. I have two Le Mans to restore but they are stored away for now. It's always good to see an LMIV make it's way back on the road in top shape. That model grew on me pretty strongly a few years ago to where I have two now (almost 3 there there for a minute.. lol), I think they are sharp looking bikes, and a true Moto Guzzi classic now.

:bow:

1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Offline guzziart

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2022, 07:24:11 AM »
Yep, very nice job KS!

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here