Author Topic: Riding in solitude.  (Read 10068 times)

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
Re: Riding in solitude.
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2018, 05:13:51 AM »
I ride often with one guy on a similarly powered bike.  Ok with that, and we understand each other.

Ride with my son and his mate, all good.

Ride by myself, I love it.  Ridden by myself most of my life.  My wife used to ride on the back but now considers herself "too old".  Sad, but her problem, not mine.  I am more than happy to ride by myself and will continue to do so.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline ejs

• Gosling
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2018, 08:11:44 PM »
I mostly ride alone, if in a group, then it is with some fellow mil.vets😁
California EV 1999

Offline keener

• Gosling
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2018, 10:36:46 PM »
i prefer to ride alone especially when touring , like others have said the freedom of going where you want at any speed you desire, and to be totally in charge of your life and what can come to me is the essence of freedom .
I have done rides alone where i follow the sun, if the weather turns bad enough i find another way i have found some pretty lonely roads doing this and some great adventures like we say its the journey and not the destination .
Occasionally i will travel with an old riding buddy or with my girlfriend as a passenger  , it can be great as long as you both can accept compromise .
I avoid larger groups or rallies unless its for a short period of time , not my thing and i rather be just riding

« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 10:42:59 PM by keener »
smile and tremble
1974 Z1 Kawasaki since new
1998 Suzuki 1200 Bandit
2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000s
2007 Guzzi 1100 Griso
2015 Kawasaki Versys 1000

Offline rider33

• Gosling
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2018, 08:27:22 AM »
For some, riding is a social event. For others, an escape from having to socialize.

For me, motorcycling is meditation. The engine sings a mantra and the mind empties of thoughts not necessary to steering around the curves or pondering the zen of the scenery..... I have on rare occasions enjoyed a group ride, but adjusting my pace to the lowest common denominator and surrendering the ability to veer off the planned route takes some of the fun out of it.

'bingo, and very nicely put.  I will ride with others if I can't get gracefully out of it but for me it sort of defeats the purpose.  Riding gets me away from the noise of everyday living, away from the obligations, the expectations, the ceaseless din.  It untethers me from who I've become and takes me back closer to who I really am.  If you ride and ride well it's total immersion, you are in the moment, completely focused.  Anything that distracts from that diminishes the experience IMHO.  A couple years back I rode with a friend out to Glacier, a trip I have done solo several times.  It was nice to have company once there but the ride out and back was a series of late starts, early stops & focus on what the other was doing vs where the road was leading me.  It might have been fine in a convertible but on a bike you just miss too much, it's still an experience, just not nearly as profound.  The more distractions you have, the less you are able to truly see.
"some journeys continue long after movement in time and space has ceased"  -Steinbeck

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2018, 08:27:22 AM »

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2018, 09:23:26 AM »
There is nothing better for my mental health than being 1500 miles from home,  relying on myself ,halfway through a road trip. I need another, please :grin:
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 09:24:25 AM by John A »
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2018, 11:29:37 AM »
I did a group ride with a bunch of coworkers some time back. The Cherohala Skyway and the Dragon were among our planned routes. I wound up spending the day wrenching and waiting for ambulances. Never again...

However, I do enjoy riding with by old friend, Briney Jim. We've been buds since 1974 and one of the principle things we do together is tour on motorcycles. We have long understood each other's comfort zones and have worked out our own hand signals and preferred lane positions (though we both have communicators these days). My wife feels a great deal better about my two-three week sojourns knowing that I have someone else along, so her stress level remains low. Plus, Jim rides a Guzzi...
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline azguzzirep

• Gaggle Hero
  • Gratzi Carlo!
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2018, 01:51:09 PM »
If you love an empty road, stay out of Europe! 😁😁😁
Murphy's  Law sucks!

Offline KiwiTones

• New Egg
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2018, 03:37:18 PM »
After reading this thread, now I don't feel so different. I've only been riding 8 months and have gone out on group rides a few times with members of a Moto Guzzi group in Madrid. I enjoy the social interaction a lot, but at heart I know I also need time to myself, to do what I want without feeling the need to fit in with the group. Today I just did a four hour ride with my bike and my camera, stopping a few times to take photos, and going where my whim took me (as well as the need to refuel the V9). It was a nice day, but at the same time I wondered if I was anti-social, as some of the Moto Guzzi group where trying to get an outing organized, and I decided to stay silent.

I'll be going on a short tour of Morocco with my brother-in-law on motorbikes in late January. It'll be the first time I ride with him. (He's coming over from NZ.) and am looking forward to it a lot. I'm also looking forward to the 5 hour solo ride down to Málaga from Madrid to meet him. It'll be a time of meditation, as I'll have no bluetooth in my helmet - just my thoughts for company. I'm not that interesting a guy, but I don't need much to entertain me.  :grin:

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2018, 07:13:16 AM »
Here is another aspect of riding (and especially touring) alone.

You are much more approachable when stopped for a break or a meal than if you are with a group.  I have regaled a restaurant full of locals with stories of the road because they are amazed that someone would venture so far from home alone and on two wheels.  Many of them have never ventured further than the next county their entire lives.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Zigzagguzzi

• New Egg
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2018, 07:34:07 AM »
Years ago there wer articles about solo riders on long trips suddenly seeing themselves from above, looking down.. Very strange, but long streches of solitude can be hypnotic!  Anyone remember this or experienced the same?.

Offline oilhed

• Gosling
  • Former Guzzi, current Beemer & Harley
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2018, 07:49:35 AM »
I prefer to ride alone.  My route, my schedule, my detours.  I have a few friends I will ride with but it requires compromise. 
No passengers, either, not since the 80's!  My wife complains about it til I remind her I crashed once and went to the ER.
MarkKF, aka OILHED
2009 BMW K1200LT
2018 HD FLHP

Offline mobiker

• Hatchling
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2018, 09:17:27 AM »
I rode out to the sandhills in western Nebraska a couple of years ago. I hadn't been out west for a while and had forgot how few people are there. I like the wide open spaces. The roads aren't that interesting, being mostly straight, but the plains have their own kind of beauty. I enjoyed the solitude.

I'm pretty much a lone wolf when it comes to riding. I really don't care for group rides. I've had some riding buddies over the years and enjoyed riding with one or two other people, but big groups not so much. Riding solo just gives a lot of freedom. Fast, slow, stop, don't stop, sudden course deviations, its all good.

Back in eighties/early nineties I had a girlfriend who enjoyed riding pillion and I enjoyed that a lot. She was a very good co-rider which makes a big difference.

Back when I rode bicycles, I did a lot of group rides with the local club. For road rides, I actually preferred riding in a small group to riding solo. Three to five bikes. Any more and we became a road obstruction, any less and you were more likely to be hassled by asshats in cars.
Mike

'88 BMW R100GS

Offline rider33

• Gosling
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2018, 11:19:38 PM »

You are much more approachable when stopped for a break or a meal than if you are with a group.  I have regaled a restaurant full of locals with stories of the road because they are amazed that someone would venture so far from home alone and on two wheels.  Many of them have never ventured further than the next county their entire lives.

'good point & quite correct.  When you are traveling in a clump you tend to stick to the clump and people tend to avoid you.  When you are solo you are much more approachable and people tend to strike up a conversation much more easily. A solo rider with plates from a few thousand miles away tends to capture people's imagination, at least it has with me. They want to know where you are headed and why.  Flying over a place only gives you a rough idea of what it's about.  Driving gives you a ground level view but unless you get off the interstate and actually talk to folks,
it's only partial. Riding solo on back roads let's you smell, taste, and feel a place & talking to the indigenous population helps you to understand its rhythms.
"some journeys continue long after movement in time and space has ceased"  -Steinbeck

Offline KJDub

• New Egg
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2018, 11:32:15 PM »
I love to poke around on remote roads all by myself. Nothing feels more free.  Once I'm on the bike I don't want to stop. My bikes have never let me down. I've been to some amazing spots I couldn't have found if I tried.
KJ

Offline keener

• Gosling
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2018, 06:44:57 PM »
I love to poke around on remote roads all by myself. Nothing feels more free.  Once I'm on the bike I don't want to stop. My bikes have never let me down. I've been to some amazing spots I couldn't have found if I tried.
KJ

Looks like central Oregon to me .........some of the best riding anywhere 
smile and tremble
1974 Z1 Kawasaki since new
1998 Suzuki 1200 Bandit
2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000s
2007 Guzzi 1100 Griso
2015 Kawasaki Versys 1000

Offline keuka4884

• Gosling
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2018, 07:46:28 PM »
I also prefer to ride alone. There are many curvy country roads in the Finger Lakes with another nice lake view just down the road. I see lots of single riders in the summer. Watkins Glen and now the wineries bring more visitors every year.

Great topic. 
1978 850 T3
2017 Lincoln Continental Black Label
1996 Cadillac Eldorado Coach Builders convertible

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2018, 07:32:00 AM »
'good point & quite correct.  When you are traveling in a clump you tend to stick to the clump and people tend to avoid you.  When you are solo you are much more approachable and people tend to strike up a conversation much more easily. A solo rider with plates from a few thousand miles away tends to capture people's imagination, at least it has with me. They want to know where you are headed and why.  Flying over a place only gives you a rough idea of what it's about.  Driving gives you a ground level view but unless you get off the interstate and actually talk to folks,
it's only partial. Riding solo on back roads let's you smell, taste, and feel a place & talking to the indigenous population helps you to understand its rhythms.

^^^^^
Yep. I prefer to ride alone, too. My own schedule, my changing destinations.  :smiley: I *do* like riding with The Kid.. we travel well in formation, and have very similar tastes and abilities.. but that is a different experience altogether.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 07:34:46 AM by Chuck in Indiana »
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
  • Eric - MGNOC NJ Rep - mgnocnj.forumotion.com
« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2018, 07:05:58 AM »

« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 07:06:39 AM by egschade »
The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2018, 08:15:37 AM »

That's what The Oracle at the Turnip Ranch taught: If you are with a group, you tend to talk with the group. If you are alone there is more opportunities to talk with locals
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline oilhed

• Gosling
  • Former Guzzi, current Beemer & Harley
« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2018, 07:23:08 AM »
The thread is about riding in solitude?

To me that doesn't necessarily mean riding alone, it means riding with only the noise of the road and the motorbike...NO music ,news, or phone, etc.

Just your thoughts.

I'm at a loss to understand why people these days have to have something blaring in their ears.
Where else in you life do you have the opportunity to "turn it off" (even in an auto/truck).

Try it , you may be pleasantly surprised.

My .02c

I rode with no noise, no music, for decades.  I now ride with music, playing, not blaring, and it enhances the ride, for me.

My $0.02
MarkKF, aka OILHED
2009 BMW K1200LT
2018 HD FLHP

Offline rider33

• Gosling
« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2018, 12:16:27 PM »
actually no, it is the best sound you can get on a bike.  I prefer silence most of the time but while on tour, particularly slabbing it out to somewhere interesting, music can help make the miles fly by in the boring bits.
Bike stereo systems & even helmet speakers have to fight wind noise.   A good set of isolating ear buds (NOT the
Best Buy or Drug store variety) can provide isolation similar or better than good ear plugs and into that void inject very high quality sound.  It's a bit like a quality headphone, a $200 set of headphones will generally sound better than a $2,000 set of speaker because they do not need to deal with room issues or the amplification demands those speakers place upon them.  Isolating ear buds bring down the noise threshold by 30db or more and only have to create music in the very small space of your ear canal.  Another perk:  when not in use they take no space at all:

https://www.aerostich.com/mc5-high-definition-earspeakers.html

Offline Green1000S

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2018, 12:41:14 PM »

Rididng in solitude?
You cannot beat Trans Labrador Highway.

Lauri
2014 Green Stelvio NTX
2016 Stornello #101
1972 Bultaco Matador SD
2016 KTM Duke 390
49cc 1921 Guzzi Board Track Racer;-)
1968 Riverside MW 125
1972 Bultaco Matador M82 Six Days
2 Robin's + 1/2 doz other mopeds

Ciao!

Online willowstreetguzziguy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2018, 03:20:28 PM »
i prefer to ride alone especially when touring , like others have said the freedom of going where you want at any speed you desire, and to be totally in charge of your life and what can come to me is the essence of freedom .
I have done rides alone where i follow the sun, if the weather turns bad enough i find another way i have found some pretty lonely roads doing this and some great adventures like we say its the journey and not the destination .
Occasionally i will travel with an old riding buddy or with my girlfriend as a passenger  , it can be great as long as you both can accept compromise .
I avoid larger groups or rallies unless its for a short period of time , not my thing and i rather be just riding

Freedom is being able to go where you want, stop where you want, and ride as fast or slow as you want. Can't do that when riding with others. Riding then becomes a socializing event and no longer freedom..
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
1993 BMW K75S Pearl White (sold)
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: December 16, 2018, 04:06:06 PM »

I'll be going on a short tour of Morocco with my brother-in-law on motorbikes in late January. It'll be the first time I ride with him. (He's coming over from NZ.) and am looking forward to it a lot. I'm also looking forward to the 5 hour solo ride down to Málaga from Madrid to meet him. It'll be a time of meditation, as I'll have no bluetooth in my helmet - just my thoughts for company. I'm not that interesting a guy, but I don't need much to entertain me.  :grin:

Good to see another Kiwi here, there are a reasonable number of us here keeping the eagle flying.

Have a great trip with your bro-in-law, Morocco should be entertaining!

Which part of NZ is he from?
03 Breva

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #54 on: December 16, 2018, 06:11:40 PM »
All due respect but I can't see how you can get any quality thru ear buds and it HAS (seems to me) be all full volume to even hear anything over road, wind and moto noise.

Guess I'll just NEVER "get it".....I'm OK w/that....

If there's someone singing in my head, that's not solitude, is it?   :grin:

I agree - the sound system on my Triumph (the only bike I have that has one) is wasted .....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #55 on: December 16, 2018, 08:22:10 PM »
All due respect but I can't see how you can get any quality thru ear buds and it HAS (seems to me) be all full volume to even hear anything over road, wind and moto noise.

I'll gracefully point you to my other thread on Earbuds for riding - in fact, if you like, you can try my headset next year at Cedar Vale.  Music can be good company as can silence and just the sound of the engine and the road.  A nice "background" playlist of mellow or spirited songs enhances my riding and I vary it depending on the type of terrain as well.  It's never set to blaring anyway as that would be painful, and always at a volume that allows me to still hear surrounding activity. 

You might enjoy it actually, unless it's truly distracting or just not as interesting as the sound of the road/engine...no "forcing" you to ride with music.

Riding Solo is great for flexibility, riding with a trusted companion makes for very nice company too, and sometimes it's nice to lead and sometimes it's nice to follow.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 11:35:00 AM by PJPR01 »
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2018, 11:37:50 AM »
Thank you Paul for your kind offer...BTDT.

I do some of my best thinking alone in my thoughts and..gulp singing. I rarely even play the radio while driving or..... shaving (another thought provoking activity.

I like concerts for music..live.

Try and get away from the noise of modern life as often as possible, it just a distraction to me...

To each his....

:-)

All good Mike!  Speaking of concerts....The Rolling Stones are coming to the States next year...booked to see them now in Houston in April and in Chicago in June, should be a blast!  Looking forward to seeing to a raucous couple of shows, might even do a 2nd show in Chicago...
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline Paul Brooking

• Gosling
« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2018, 09:32:11 PM »

I've recently gone the moulded "Acoustic" ear piece route .. cuts out all high end wind noise in the helmet at high speed yet you can have a conversation with someone at normal voice
I've added a Cardo Bluetooth Hemet speaker system and between the acoustic plugs and the Cardo, I can hear my music with more than acceptable clarity at a low volume setting whilst travelling at 110 Km/h on the black top.

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #58 on: December 18, 2018, 03:00:28 PM »
All good Mike!  Speaking of concerts....The Rolling Stones are coming to the States next year...booked to see them now in Houston in April and in Chicago in June, should be a blast!  Looking forward to seeing to a raucous couple of shows, might even do a 2nd show in Chicago...

Saw them in early 80s in Orlando.  Van Halen opened for them and they restricted how much stage David Lee Roth could use.  I have never actively set out to attend any concert, but somehow have been to many before kids.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: December 19, 2018, 01:30:17 PM »
The thread is about riding in solitude?

To me that doesn't necessarily mean riding alone, it means riding with only the noise of the road and the motorbike...NO music ,news, or phone, etc.

I find that when I'm in the zone I start to sing. :shocked:  I have a lousy voice but in a full face it sounds ok.  Of course, when I come to a hill I stop singing and just have "Symphony in Second" by that great Italian composer La Franconi running. The basso profundo is superb. :thumb: :grin:
03 Breva

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here