Author Topic: Sale advice  (Read 1848 times)

Offline tonUPRacer

• Gaggle Mentor
    • My Racer FB page
Sale advice
« on: May 17, 2023, 12:29:32 PM »
So I'm selling my 2013 V7 Racer. Not sure if I'm getting another bike or just getting out of moto's all together. Anyway, since it's been a long time since I've sold a moto, and the options to sell have changed dramatically, I thought I'd tap the boards wisdom. Of course I'm aware of the ability to list here, I'm also considering ebay, Facebook marketplace groups, and Cycle Trader. Any suggestions, experiences good or bad?

Grazie,

Andy
2013 V7 Racer #393
2001 Ducati 900SS (sold)
1999 Ducati 900M (sold)
1979 HD XLS Sportster (sold)

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: Sale advice
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2023, 12:40:43 PM »
So I'm selling my 2013 V7 Racer. Not sure if I'm getting another bike or just getting out of moto's all together. Anyway, since it's been a long time since I've sold a moto, and the options to sell have changed dramatically, I thought I'd tap the boards wisdom. Of course I'm aware of the ability to list here, I'm also considering ebay, Facebook marketplace groups, and Cycle Trader. Any suggestions, experiences good or bad?

Grazie,

Andy

When I floated the idea of selling the RK last fall I paid $45 or something like that for a premium add on CycleTrader for some length of time (maybe it was 60 or 90 days). I also listed it here and ADV rider and Facebook.

It got views here (but not really the right audience) and on ADV rider.

I got calls from CycleTrader - but I was advertising it for a VERY premium price. I eventually got an offer from it but the guy played games and tried to renegotiate so I told him to pound sand.

I let the adds expire and forgot about it as winter settled in.

Then I got call out of the blue. Someone who'd contacted me with the CycleTrader ad had thought when that add disappeared that it was no longer available and had no way of contacting me, but then recognized it on FaceBook Marketplace and called me. And bought it.

Now Harleys are a much bigger market, but this was a premium sale of a lower availability model (Police) and that's what was driving a lot of the traffic.

I think if I were to attempt to sell a Guzzi I would probably use all those same resources again.

Though I might be tempted by BAT or Ebay if I was so inclined to put a little more work and/or risk into it.

EDIT - I forgot, there are also Facebook GROUPS - like Moto Guzzi parts and bikes for sale, and V7 Owners etc. that might be a good resource. I see a fair amount of traffic on the V7 owner's group from people who are considering one and want to learn about it.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2023, 01:02:26 PM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2023, 12:47:18 PM »
According to posts by JJ, Racers appear to do well on Bring a Trailer.  Have a good story, and possibly a photo of the bike being sat on by a celebrity.   :wink:
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline tonUPRacer

• Gaggle Mentor
    • My Racer FB page
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2023, 12:48:06 PM »
Thanks for the reply Kev, yes I'm a member of several of those FB groups, I saw you post there not too long ago. I'm actually the owner and admin of a V7 Racer group with about 3K followers, maybe I should just start there huh?

2013 V7 Racer #393
2001 Ducati 900SS (sold)
1999 Ducati 900M (sold)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2023, 12:48:06 PM »

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2023, 12:59:28 PM »
Best advice I can give you on the V7R (having had a 2012 V7R) is prepared to lower your price a lot more than you think.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline bobrebos1

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2023, 01:17:06 PM »
Beats me!  I’m been trying to sell a 2013 Stelvio, a 2010 gold wing, and a trailer for last 4 months.  Not fun!
Tennessee/Georgia areas Moto Guzzi Enthusiasts -Traveling lunch meetups (on Facebook)

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2023, 01:23:44 PM »
eBay does NOT charge a percentage on vehicles. The basic ad costs $69. With a $14 transaction fee. If listed over $5000 the fees are slightly larger. This is the best deal for selling anything on eBay . Flat fee for vehicles, wow, unexpected from eBay but it’s for real.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2023, 01:49:34 PM »
Start with the Moto Guzzi groups but as stated prepare to lower your price if you don't get any response to your original ads.   :tongue:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2023, 02:00:52 PM »
Start with the Moto Guzzi groups but as stated prepare to lower your price if you don't get any response to your original ads.   :tongue:

Though I totally agree, I also think this is where a NON-Moto Guzzi group ad might be advantageous.

I've seen some NEW to Guzzi owners pay some HIGH prices on smallblocks recently (like when they first buy and join the V7 FB group) and all I can think is DAYUM they are new to Guzzi over-paying like that.

So advertising to the Moto-Curious might have some benefit.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2023, 02:34:05 PM »
Agreed, try all but that would be a starting point.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2023, 03:16:39 PM by Tom »
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline cowtownchemist

• New Egg
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2023, 03:01:54 PM »
I browse regularly and have purchased a bike through Facebook marketplace.  I have also bought a bike through the Swap Meet section of this forum.  The ads on Facebook and here are free so that is where I would start.  Especially if you are not in a big hurry to sell.  If you don't get any bites then try elsewhere.
2014 V7 Stone
2000 V11 Sport

Offline john fish

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2023, 06:00:33 AM »
In the last few years, I have sold three bikes and bought one.  I sold the 2 Guzzis through WG.   I did not want to deal with the Great Unwashed coming to "see me a Eye-Talian moto-pickle."   That may be unfair, but I wanted to deal with people who knew what they were buying.  To sell on WG, your price must be reasonable.  Essentially, list it at a friend price and you'll get action.  Guzzisti are cheap.  That's as sure as the sun coming up in the morning.  They are also usually pretty good folks.  I enjoyed talking to the people who bought my Guzzis and was pleased that the bikes were going to good people.

If you want to broaden your market but still reach an informed audience, advertise on ADVRider.com.  They're not Guzzisti, but they know what Guzzis are.  In doubt, they can always search the ADVRider site for informed threads on every damn bike out there, pretty much.  I listed my MZ Skorpion on ADVRider and got good action.

Another broader market is brand-specific groups on FaceBook.  I sold my Skorpion to a fellow who saw the ad on ADVRider, mulled it over, and then contacted me once I listed the bike on a FaceBook MZ group.  He was worried and figured that he better strike before someone else did.  I sold it at a very reasonable price, I think.

I bought my last bike through Craigslist.  Talking to sellers, be prepared for a lot of pointless calls and ghosted appointments when using FB Marketplace or Craigslsit.  It's a much larger audience with a larger percentage of flakes.   You can probably get a better price on these larger sites but you'll have to work harder for it.  :)

He lost the run of himself.

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2023, 08:07:00 AM »
I do not use FB but my wife has listed several bikes for me on FBMP in the the past few years and its was good. I will say the market seem to really be slowing down. Dealerships are fully stocked to the point we are seeing incentive programs occuring and people are  just not buy like they were in the past couple of years. In the next few years I think its really going to be a buyer market as we start to see all the bikes people panic/boredom bought start hitting the market.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2023, 08:41:24 AM by Perazzimx14 »
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline tonUPRacer

• Gaggle Mentor
    • My Racer FB page
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2023, 08:18:00 AM »
Thanks for all the input! I did start with a few FB groups, some Guzzi specific, others just local (Wisconsin) I'll see if I get any bites. It does seem like prices on the V7s (especially Racers) have stabilized or actually crept up from what I was seeing a few years ago. I'm not in a major rush to sell, I'll put a post up here in the Swap meet too.
2013 V7 Racer #393
2001 Ducati 900SS (sold)
1999 Ducati 900M (sold)

Offline krglorioso

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2023, 09:59:26 PM »
I've sold 4 Guzzis on Craigslist, going back about 12 years.  Not a tire kicker among the buyers.  Usually, the bikes sold to the first caller.  One case that amuses me to this day was in 2012 when former NorCAl MGNOC Area Rep Don Van Zandt (still my best friend even though I moved to Texas) asked me to sell his 1979 SP-1000.  I spiffed it up a bit and did a service on it and listed it in Craigslist, San Francisco.  Late that day, I was working an evening shift as a hospital clerk and came home at Midnight.  Wife says, "You got a call on Don's bike...from Melbourne".  "Florida?"    "No, Australia.  Name's Mark Harris and he said he'd call back in a half hour".  Mark turned out to be a serious Guzzisti who wanted a running, original SP and after a brief chat he sent me the money via Pay Pal.  Don and I took the SP to West Coast Shipping in Richmond, CA who ship many bikes and cars worldwide.  Mark had used them before and they delivered the SP in fine shape. as Mark advised me 2 weeks later.. 

Another Guzzi went to Otis Gray, then in Casa Grande, AZ (later moved to Mountain Home, ID) who never saw the bike before he bought it.  Otis was an experienced Guzzisti and wanted a "hydro", which I offered.   I should add that all but Don's SP went for the stated price.  Mark got hit for a few hundred dollars on the exchange rate so I dropped the price accordingly, happy the SP was going to a very good home.

Ralph
Ralph
"You don't stop riding because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding".

2004 Moto Guzzi Breva 750
2017 Honda CB-500F
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2023, 08:46:43 AM »
I've sold 4 Guzzis on Craigslist, going back about 12 years.  Not a tire kicker among the buyers.  Usually, the bikes sold to the first caller.  One case that amuses me to this day was in 2012 when former NorCAl MGNOC Area Rep Don Van Zandt (still my best friend even though I moved to Texas) asked me to sell his 1979 SP-1000.  I spiffed it up a bit and did a service on it and listed it in Craigslist, San Francisco.  Late that day, I was working an evening shift as a hospital clerk and came home at Midnight.  Wife says, "You got a call on Don's bike...from Melbourne".  "Florida?"    "No, Australia.  Name's Mark Harris and he said he'd call back in a half hour".  Mark turned out to be a serious Guzzisti who wanted a running, original SP and after a brief chat he sent me the money via Pay Pal.  Don and I took the SP to West Coast Shipping in Richmond, CA who ship many bikes and cars worldwide.  Mark had used them before and they delivered the SP in fine shape. as Mark advised me 2 weeks later.. 

Another Guzzi went to Otis Gray, then in Casa Grande, AZ (later moved to Mountain Home, ID) who never saw the bike before he bought it.  Otis was an experienced Guzzisti and wanted a "hydro", which I offered.   I should add that all but Don's SP went for the stated price.  Mark got hit for a few hundred dollars on the exchange rate so I dropped the price accordingly, happy the SP was going to a very good home.

Ralph

CL ain't what it used to be. Its basically a ghost town and has been for years. 
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Online Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2023, 09:59:30 AM »

Ralph

IF Otis was an Ex air force guy he is now in Green Valley Az. He still owns the hydro and a V7II. Great guy.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Online Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2023, 10:02:24 AM »
Craigs list isn't dead. I tried to sell my 01 EV for cheap here early this spring. I put it on the Tucson CL and sold it instantly with 3 others wanting to see it if the deal fell through.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2023, 11:46:21 AM »
the market seem to really be slowing down. Dealerships are fully stocked to the point we are seeing incentive programs occuring and people are  just not buy like they were in the past couple of years.

One year ago, I went to the local Kawasaki shop and looked at a 2022 Vulcan Vaquero.  That bike is still on the floor.  They're now advertising a $1,000 rebate.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2023, 09:03:16 AM »
FB marketplace has basically replaced Craigslist. One benefit is 90% of the people have established profiles and are kinda known. Definitely not the anonymous circus that craigslist could be.

I've had best luck selling in enthusiast forums. ADV has a broad audience.

As others have said quality pictures and videos are the way to go and Facebook makes this easy.

The last vehicle I sold on craigslist was my BMW M3. It's sold within 15 minutes of posting the ad for 2K over asking. Over the years I probably bought and sold four or five cars and motorcycles and I've never really had a problem other than a few dead end interest exchanges.

Cash is King. Certified bank check is next.

I sold my MGX here on WG in 3 days. Unfortunately that member has never resurfaced or returned. I'd love to know what's happening with the bike. They were several things that made it unique first was that I had adapted to top case from a norge to the bike and the mounting of the fog lights. I love the way the bike looked but in the end it was too much of a fat unwieldy pig for my riding preferences :-)

Good luck on the sale!
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2023, 09:15:56 AM »
I sold my MGX here on WG in 3 days. Unfortunately that member has never resurfaced or returned. I'd love to know what's happening with the bike.

Too embarrassed to ever show his face again...  :evil:   :kiss:
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2023, 10:03:33 AM »
A friend of mine recently, like two weeks ago sold his late model BMW GS on Craigslist and a few months earlier he sold a HD on Craigslist.  I wouldn't rule them out but beware of the usual scams.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline tonUPRacer

• Gaggle Mentor
    • My Racer FB page
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2023, 01:59:44 PM »
update, I have listed here and got one nibble. put on several FB groups but nothing yet. just started ebay auction today.  :popcorn:
2013 V7 Racer #393
2001 Ducati 900SS (sold)
1999 Ducati 900M (sold)

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2023, 02:08:16 PM »

:boozing: true... It was a HORRIBLE looking bike.... :cool:

All kidding aside I thought it looked (and sounded) great and the top case really brought balance and made it far more capable as a touring bike. Too bad it was so heavy, had such poor low speed (sub 25) and high speed (over 80) manners.

Disappointed to not see the owner active in the group.

Too embarrassed to ever show his face again...  :evil:   :kiss:
« Last Edit: May 24, 2023, 11:18:43 AM by Bulldog9 »
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2023, 05:46:26 PM »
Craigs list isn't dead. I tried to sell my 01 EV for cheap here early this spring. I put it on the Tucson CL and sold it instantly with 3 others wanting to see it if the deal fell through.

Well maybe not stone dead but on life support with failing organs. Yes, stuff does still sell but I've found it to no longer be worth the effort and certainly not worth paying for listing that gets just a fraction of a percent of the traffic it once did. YMMV
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline aklawok

• Gosling
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2023, 01:38:09 AM »
"Why am I selling? Well, I have a 10 year old son and I want this gone before he starts begging me to ride it."
 :bike-037: :copcar:
  I sure understand! Lol! Beeeutiful bike!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/285298295524
Had to go look for it myself.
its not the end of the world...but you can see it from here!
2007 california vintage

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2023, 06:47:55 AM »
"Why am I selling? Well, I have a 10 year old son and I want this gone before he starts begging me to ride it."
 :bike-037: :copcar:
  I sure understand! Lol! Beeeutiful bike!

I can't get behind that sentiment.

Reminds me of a time I was selling a Jeep and touted the ski racks that came with it. The couple looked at me and said "we would never do something so reckless" - move along then, nothing to see here.

Holy carp ya know.

I literally BOUGHT our last Moto Guzzi JUST so our then 5 y/o could ride it with us. He just turned 9 and asked me to make sure I ride him to soccer camp this summer instead of taking the Jeep. I was like "you know that means you're gonna have to put armored pants over your kit right" and he's like "oh yeah, and boots, but I'll switch to my cleats when I get there".  :thumb:
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline tonUPRacer

• Gaggle Mentor
    • My Racer FB page
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2023, 08:30:19 AM »
I can't get behind that sentiment.

Reminds me of a time I was selling a Jeep and touted the ski racks that came with it. The couple looked at me and said "we would never do something so reckless" - move along then, nothing to see here.

Holy carp ya know.

I literally BOUGHT our last Moto Guzzi JUST so our then 5 y/o could ride it with us. He just turned 9 and asked me to make sure I ride him to soccer camp this summer instead of taking the Jeep. I was like "you know that means you're gonna have to put armored pants over your kit right" and he's like "oh yeah, and boots, but I'll switch to my cleats when I get there".  :thumb:

FWIW, I do take all 3 for rides on the bike regularly (11, 9, 7). I get what you are saying and agree with it but when I was learning to ride folks weren't driving 70mph with a cell phone in their hand doing makeup. It isn't the only reason for the sale, but it is one of them. I do have my eye on the Z900RS and then my whole excuse goes out the window!
2013 V7 Racer #393
2001 Ducati 900SS (sold)
1999 Ducati 900M (sold)

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2023, 08:42:11 AM »
FWIW, I do take all 3 for rides on the bike regularly (11, 9, 7). I get what you are saying and agree with it but when I was learning to ride folks weren't driving 70mph with a cell phone in their hand doing makeup. It isn't the only reason for the sale, but it is one of them. I do have my eye on the Z900RS and then my whole excuse goes out the window!

It's cool my friend, I tell myself plenty of things to justify my own desires.... no worries.  :boozing:
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2023, 08:13:28 AM »
I have been wondering about this myself, as I am now only riding like 30 days a year due to home renovations, cycling, and other hobbies- plus I'm buying a boat next year. I need to pare down to one bike... 

I hate that everything has gone to Facebook. I deleted my account nearly 12 years ago (I was an early user- when I got FB it still required a college .edu email to sign up!) No way I would go back. I always had great luck buying and selling vehicles on Craigslist, but it seems to have largely dried up.
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here