Author Topic: Hot weather, starting and stopping which is best ?  (Read 3167 times)

Offline brider

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Hot weather,starting and stopping which is best ?
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2019, 11:39:17 AM »
It's a judgement call whether I shut down or let it idle during a long stop, but I'm on an Automatic, so the considerations are a little different. But in general I would agree that the typical Guzzi engine should not suffer during prolonged idling.

My worry is the TC fluid overheating from continuous shearing in the TC with no airflow over the cooler.

One other thing I'll mention is the danger in taking the shoulder for long distances; pissed-off driver's are a constant issue (some of them DO swing over to block you, and that's a road-rage issue where you can't prevail), but the other thing is tire-puncturing debris that collects on the un-travelled shoulder. Thruout the course of months/years, crap that shouldn't be on a paved road gets swept naturally to the shoulders, and I've picked up several nails and screws by riding the shoulders. I still do it, but I'm VERY aware of this danger now, and will stop as soon as I can and inspect the tires for anything I might've picked up.

One last thing that doesn't add anything to the OP's query: The slow-moving parade-crawl or stop-go stuff is where the Automatics RULE!
'85 Cal II Auto
'71 Ambo project
'02 GasGas EC300
'07 Norge
Wish'd I'd never sold:
'72 Red Eldo
'74 White Eldo LAPD
'77 Convert with DB bags
'06 Gas Gas EC300
'86 LM IV

Online xackley

• Gosling
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2019, 12:34:39 PM »
a set of 12 volt computer fans could be mounted.
Also I would run the highest w40/w50/w60 oil that was available if I was in the south and needed to live in congestion
1958 R69 BMW, 1972 R75/5, 1980 yamaha XS650, 1982 GL1100, 2003 EV, 2007 Triumph America and 2017 V7!!!
All on the road, going nowhere in particular.

Online frozengoose

• To eaches his onus...
  • Gosling
    • smiles from nowhere
  • Location: Just a little ways past Fairbanks, Alaska on the locally world famous Chena Hot Springs Road
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2019, 01:01:14 PM »
Idling away!
Well I never let the bikes idle for long, maybe a couple of min. But last fall I went to the local Airheads meeting. They're the only group that has get togethers, other than the hog riding fools, and the members are not only friendly, they're mostly my age, so don't feel like the old man there. Anyway, when I got there, the only bike there was a sidecar rig and it was idling with no rider in sight. Kind of odd, but went inside, talked a bit and then asked whose bike was idling outside. Turns out the rider was afraid it wouldn't start in the cold weather, so left it running. When I left an hour or so later, it was still idling away outside. I was not only surprised it was still running, but that nobody had driven off with it. Maybe because the temperature was down near zero? But I'm sure of one thing, it didn't overheat!
Big Jon

Two old Guzzi's (V65 & T), 250E CZ, and 6 happy huskies.

Well, I've got a baby, she's a bad motorcycle
Brrooom-pa-pa-pa, pa-pa-pa-pa-paw
When we ride together, all through the night
She's got a real wild machine and it's out of sight
She goes brrooom-pa-pa-pa, paw-paw, motorcycle
Jerry Zee

oldbike54

« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2019, 02:31:42 PM »
And both have the power to restrain themselves from posting.

Before everyone gets all excited here , I was merely poking fun at someone for doing exactly what they had called a different member out for doing just hours before . No one is getting banned , but if you call a member out for something , don't turn around a few hours later and do the same thing .

Dusty

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2019, 02:31:42 PM »

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2019, 02:37:18 PM »
Before everyone gets all excited here , I was merely poking fun at someone for doing exactly what they had called a different member out for doing just hours before . No one is getting banned , but if you call a member out for something , don't turn around a few hours later and do the same thing .

Dusty

All in good fun Dusty.  And I drove my sisters up a wall with my teasing. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

oldbike54

Re: Hot weather, starting and stopping which is best ?
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2019, 02:39:37 PM »
  :thumb:

Dusty

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2019, 04:08:00 PM »
Here's a puzzler.   Could Dusty ban himself?
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

oldbike54

« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2019, 04:14:30 PM »
Here's a puzzler.   Could Dusty ban himself?

Trust me , I've tried , no one wants this job  :rolleyes:

Dusty

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here