Author Topic: How cool is cool enough  (Read 7463 times)

oldbike54

How cool is cool enough
« on: January 08, 2016, 01:37:50 PM »
 OK , let's try this one more time . The question is how cool enough to adjust valves . The general consensus seems to be room temp , or about 70 degrees , although on a 90 degree day that might be tough  :laugh:

Dusty

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: How cool is cool enough
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 01:41:04 PM »
OK , let's try this one more time . The question is how cool enough to adjust valves . The general consensus seems to be room temp , or about 70 degrees , although on a 90 degree day that might be tough  :laugh:

Dusty

I say 70F is the goal, but that there's probably at least a 20F swing in both directions that would be fine.

I also say that my garage is attached to my house and has living area above it. So IF I HAVE to set valves on a 90F day, there's a good chance my garage is already only in the 80s at most, and if I leave the door to the house open I can probably get it into the 70s easily enough.

Or we could go to Jay's garage, he's got heat and air.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

canuguzzi

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 01:46:59 PM »
If you have a dealer adjust the valves, take it in early, ask them to do the valves after letting the engine cool, like in the afternoon and that should be cool enough to get a good adjustment.

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 01:53:03 PM »
Or we could go to Jay's garage, he's got heat and air.

:thumb: :grin:
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 01:53:03 PM »

Offline swordds

• Hatchling
  • (504)234-9011
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 04:44:24 PM »
I don't know Jay but I think he should do a scientific study correlating the change in valve clearance settings for each 5 degree change in cylinder head temperature above and below 70 degrees F. And while he is doing that he could take the exhaust pipes off one of his BMWs and put them on his MG and then he could also answer the "quieter motorcycle" question :-). Seriously, I'm just kidding.
2016 V7II Stone
2016 Suzuki TU250X (lost in the great flood of ought 16)

In the future I will strive to tolerate everything except intolerance and to hate nothing except hatred.

Offline mabajada

• New Egg
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2016, 12:04:39 PM »
.... so adjusting them cold in my 40�F garage is not a good idea? (I just did this as I retorqued the head bolts)

« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 12:05:56 PM by mabajada »
1974 Eldorado 850 Police
1978 Lemans 850

oldbike54

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2016, 12:09:49 PM »
.... so adjusting them cold in my 40�F garage is not a good idea? (I just did this as I retorqued the head bolts)

:laugh: Troublemaker  :evil:

Dusty

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2016, 12:21:56 PM »
How much expansion or contraction of the metal parts could there be between 40 degrees F and 90 degrees F? Has anyone ever checked with feeler gauges to see if the ambient temperature makes a perceptible difference?
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

canuguzzi

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2016, 03:25:29 PM »

There is acceptable practice, best practice and unacceptable practice.

There is a gap range and that allows for different temps and such. Stone cold engine is best but that doesn't mean you can't adjust them any other temp such as after sitting for 8 hours and not get a good adjustment or check.

The owner living where they need to adjust the valves and the ambient temps are hovering in the 90s day or night can't get the engine any cooler than that without artificially cooling methods.

Get the engine as cool as ambient temp, it is acceptable or are we all supposed to wait until a cold night to check and adjust valves?

kirby1923

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2016, 03:50:16 PM »
I believe "cool" just means with the engine not up to normal running temp as in its cool enough to lay your hand on the cylinder heads.  Clearances, (specified by the designer) take into account a wide range of temperatures so as not to be critical.

This subject could rival an oil thread.

As Charlie Brown says "good grief".

:-)

« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 03:52:57 PM by kirby1923 »

oldbike54

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2016, 03:54:53 PM »
I believe "cool" just means with the engine not up to normal running temp as in its cool enough to lay your hand on the cylinder heads.  (Clearances specified by the designer) take into account a wide range of temperatures so as not to be critical.

This subject could rival an oil thread.

As Charlie Brown says "good grief".

:-)

Are you suggesting an oil thread ? We already have the annual ethanol thread going as well as a helmet thread  :laugh: All we need now is a counter steering thread ...

Dusty

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2016, 04:06:45 PM »
The engineers who designed the engine had to deal with the fact that various engine parts are going to expand with heat.  Of course the valves are going to get the most heat and the longer the valve the more expansion.  All the other valve train parts do the same.  It seems to me that it's more important to get an engine down to the ideal temp if you have a long valve train...long valves, long push rods, etc.  If the valves are relatively short and the other components are short you are not going to see much difference in material expansion when compared to other designs.  My Stelvio has pushrods that are about 2" long.  The V7 pushrods are much longer.  Based on that alone, I'd be much more concerned about having the V7 totally cooled than the high cam Stelvio.  If I'm wrong it won't be the first time!

Peter Y.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Offline drums4money

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2016, 04:10:34 PM »
Can any scientographer among us offer any thermal expansion specs?  I'll bet there's a slide rule involved, and that gets above my station in life.  My gut tells me that there's a negligible difference at best for the normal ambient ranges such as 40 - 85 degrees f . . . and that the expansion characteristics of the head alloy and valve material would only be truly & measurably changed above 150deg and below freezing.

I can't see there being an increasing detrimental effect for adjusting valves for every 10 degree delta +/- a 70 degree atmospheric baseline.

I could be wrong - but I'd be interested to see what science offers to satisfy my curiosity.

hypocrite, four flusher, snake in the grass, just a swindler and wolf in sheep's clothing...liar

1200 Sport , Monster S2R, MV Agusta B3 800

Old School Audio:
http://oldschoolaudio.wix.com/headphones

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2016, 04:15:03 PM »
Can any scientographer among us offer any thermal expansion specs?  I'll bet there's a slide rule involved, and that gets above my station in life.  My gut tells me that there's a negligible difference at best for the normal ambient ranges such as 40 - 85 degrees f . . . and that the expansion characteristics of the head alloy and valve material would only be truly & measurably changed above 150deg and below freezing.

I can't see there being an increasing detrimental effect for adjusting valves for every 10 degree delta +/- a 70 degree atmospheric baseline.

I could be wrong - but I'd be interested to see what science offers to satisfy my curiosity.

If I remember,  :rolleyes: I'll look up the coefficient of expansion for various metals in my ancient Machinery's handbook tomorrow. The Kid's coming down to work on his Spot, though, so I'll probably forget..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2016, 04:30:03 PM »
just bring back the hydro engine and we can get back to the oil threads.
I'll start it with, had we just used dino 10/40 in the 8 valves would they have failed right away so the Italians would have had to warranty labor in them in the first year OR would they all be running great right now with no failures.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Offline motogman

• Gosling
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2016, 04:59:19 PM »
Are you suggesting an oil thread ? We already have the annual ethanol thread going as well as a helmet thread  :laugh: All we need now is a counter steering thread ...

Dusty

How about a tire thread?   :laugh:

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2016, 07:24:31 PM »
A donut thread
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

oldbike54

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2016, 07:29:52 PM »
How about a tire thread?   :laugh:

A donut thread

Or a donut tire thread  :huh: :rolleyes:

Dusty

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2016, 07:40:05 PM »
Gonna have coffee w/that? How bout a smoke?

You still off that stuff Dusty?

oldbike54

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2016, 07:47:45 PM »
Gonna have coffee w/that? How bout a smoke?

You still off that stuff Dusty?

Coffee , no , and the occasional cigar . Oh wait , are you asking about my silly sense of humor ? :laugh:

Dusty

Offline RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2016, 07:57:15 PM »
  The coefficient of expansion on most common metals is determined and measured at 68 degrees F. Different alloys are rated at this temp and there are
specs given by the producers of the material for that expansion. Different standards organizations produce tolerances allowable for their criteria,
ASTM,SAE, ANSI Etc..

Paul  :boozing:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2016, 07:59:04 PM »
When you first came on here posting often, you had just quit coffee.

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2016, 08:01:05 PM »
  The coefficient of expansion on most common metals is determined and measured at 68 degrees F. Different alloys are rated at this temp and there are
specs given by the producers of the material for that expansion. Different standards organizations produce tolerances allowable for their criteria,
ASTM,SAE, ANSI Etc..

Paul  :boozing:

Yep 40* is too cold

oldbike54

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2016, 08:04:25 PM »
When you first came on here posting often, you had just quit coffee.

I had ? Oh yeah , to help with the cigarette thing . Damn Steve , you have a great memory  :bow:

Dusty

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2016, 08:16:41 PM »
Yep 40* is too cold

People say that, but is it true? How much variation is there in valve clearance between, say, 40 degrees F and 90 degrees F? Does anyone really know?
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2016, 08:29:28 PM »
People say that, but is it true? How much variation is there in valve clearance between, say, 40 degrees F and 90 degrees F? Does anyone really know?
  Yes they always know! Just like Santa.  It is a calculation in microinches based on the material used. So the difference between 70 and 90 would be insignificant.

Paul :boozing:

canuguzzi

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2016, 08:31:00 PM »
If the temperature was that critical between some of the lower temps and the higher temps during different times of year when it comes to adjusting the valves wouldn't there be engines over self destructing themselves because the clearances were either too tight or too loose?

:Beating_A_Dead_Hors e_by_liviu

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2016, 08:42:13 PM »
I have been oscillating, vacillating and procrastinating because I need to do the clearances on the Breva. Originally I was waiting for the rocker gaskets to arrive, now it is because it is always hot. :grin: 

I must admit, I hear the rapid tappets when I first fire it up, but by the time it has warmed up the tappet noise has gone.  Hardly scientific I know but it does show me that something tightens up when it is hot.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2016, 08:52:20 PM »

If the temperature was that critical between some of the lower temps and the higher temps during different times of year when it comes to adjusting the valves wouldn't there be engines over self destructing themselves because the clearances were either too tight or too loose?

:Beating_A_Dead_Hors e_by_liviu
  Short answer, Yes. Thats why engineers that design this stuff have to know what the properties of the materials they plan on using are and consult with metallurgists and suppliers to find the best for their application. Thats why many years ago they filled valves with sodium and utilized stainless because of it's stability under temperature fluctuations.

Paul :boozing:

Offline drums4money

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2016, 09:14:58 PM »

nail head hit!

From the factory perspective, all concerns are addressed by stating that adjustment be done on a cool 70* engine. I still adjust after the bike has set overnight.  I'm curious nonetheless at what temperatures the expansion/contraction really mean something.     
hypocrite, four flusher, snake in the grass, just a swindler and wolf in sheep's clothing...liar

1200 Sport , Monster S2R, MV Agusta B3 800

Old School Audio:
http://oldschoolaudio.wix.com/headphones

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here