Author Topic: Help with mac needed  (Read 3305 times)

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
Help with mac needed
« on: April 15, 2016, 01:06:29 AM »

Mac air problem. Since about the middle of today a one and a half inch ribbon that looks like metallic threads creating a translucent band running vertically down the near center of my screen. Do any of you know what causes this? It sometimes causes a metallic color on pictures. It makes reading text difficult. Is my machine wearing out?
Is it fixable? WTF?
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline flangeman_70

• Gosling
Re: Help with mac needed
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 01:31:06 AM »
If it is a retina screen this a known issue and Apple will cover it under warranty.
My colleagues was just replaced yesterday but that was on a MAC Pro.

Adam
You only went to school to learn how to learn

Adam

SP III 1990
V10 Centauro 1996

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 02:45:30 AM »
I guess it's a trip to the Mac wizards next time I go to Kona.  Thanks.

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 03:29:32 AM »
I got some cheese for your mac.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 03:29:32 AM »

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2016, 06:35:53 AM »
I don't know. No problem with my PC.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2016, 01:11:31 AM »
  Well I am back, after no access since sunday.  I took the Mac to the Mac wizard in town and he partially fixed it. it doesn't do it as often now, but is not cured.  Who makes a decent non Apple product?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 01:12:03 AM by Sasquatch Jim »

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2016, 02:08:49 AM »
  Well I am back, after no access since sunday.  I took the Mac to the Mac wizard in town and he partially fixed it. it doesn't do it as often now, but is not cured.  Who makes a decent non Apple product?

If you don't mind paying a high price (I won't take the obligatory swipe at Apple  :laugh: ), then my favorite laptops are Lenovo's ThinkPads (not their cheap line; the mid-range IdeaPads are OK). ThinkPads are not only high quality products for Windows, they are extremely well supported for Linux and other operating systems. Their Carbon series is very comparable to the Air for weight and performance.
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2016, 08:43:17 AM »
I've had good and bad luck with all brands.  If you get the cheapest versions, they will not last as long.  If you get the mid or high range stuff they will.  My best luck has been with Toshiba's.  If I were to get a more durable laptop, the the HP Elite series (expensive).  I have them at work and they are tough buggars.  Not nearly as tough as a Toughbook, but, good enough for 'normal' use.

When I buy a laptop I go to the store.  Pick it up and twist it.  Yep, grab each side and twist.  If it feels flimsy I don't buy it.  Then I try the keyboard (the most common failure point on any of my computers).  If it feels nice and 'crisp' then it is OK.  If it feels 'mushy' then I put it back.

Last, these days get a solid state drive.  They are worth the extra cost.

PS my most recent 'laptop' is a Toshiba Satellite Radius.  The dual mode type.  Tablet when folded back.  Laptop when on a desk.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 08:47:35 AM by charlie b »
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2016, 08:54:07 AM »
Are you using it as a tool for hardware or software development or such? If you are, then you likely already know what you need.

So I assume you just need web and email. Consider a chromebook and Android tablet.

Me, I'm using Microsoft Surface products for my tools and they are great.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 08:55:03 AM by OMG »
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline jcctx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2016, 08:56:28 AM »
Unlike some here I have had good luck with the lower end stuff, as in whatever Office Depot has on sale. Of course my main use now is to surf the net and "WildGuzzi"! For what I do, could get by with a big screen chromebook; that said, my wife bought me a 27" IMAC for my birthday!!!!

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2016, 09:06:08 AM »
OP, I am surprised the issue with your Mac has not been fixed. If your Mac is still under warranty, Apple should replace it.

I have been a Mac user in a very big way for decades. If I have ever had an issue with the hardware, it has been replaced.

Remember, almost all PCs are made in (ahem), so they are all prone to problems, unlike our American-made 1950s era GE oven that we still use daily.
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline Markcarovilli

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2016, 09:21:39 AM »
OP, I am surprised the issue with your Mac has not been fixed. If your Mac is still under warranty, Apple should replace it.

I have been a Mac user in a very big way for decades. If I have ever had an issue with the hardware, it has been replaced.

Remember, almost all PCs are made in (ahem), so they are all prone to problems, unlike our American-made 1950s era GE oven that we still use daily.

is it hard to read your emails and surf the web with your oven.... :evil: :boozing:

Mark

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2016, 12:10:15 PM »

Everyone.

I bought an HP recently for a customer.  I got a 3-year warranty with it.  On the day I bought it, the deal was that if the warranty wasn't used, at the end of the period they'll refund the warranty cost.  I have 10+y-o dell laptops working good, and a stack of surplussed Toshiba and fujitsu tablets of 5+ years old also working well.  I think we're at a point of computers where a nod is as good as a wink at the point of mfgr.  It's the service after the sale -- how they treat you when it goes sideways -- that counts anymore.

$0.02

Offline PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2016, 12:28:08 PM »
Things change. Brands that use to be good are not so good now whether they are cars, ovens, or computers. My MacBook pro is 10 years old (1 battery replacement), iMac is 8 years old (no issues), and homebuilt PC running XP is now 16 years old and the disk is spinning as I type this.

Pete

Offline rbond

• Hatchling
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2016, 03:24:14 PM »
 :1: on the laptop tests. My home built PC is three years old, with a hard drive swap tray. 99% of the time I run Linux, only when I have to use a Windows based program, I change drives. Not bashing Windows, that is just getting real old, just like having no virus's, ransom ware and more stability.
2012 MG V7C
1976 Suzuki GT500A
1978 Suzuki GS400C (long gone)
1973 Suzuki TS 100K (first new bike)
1969 Honda S90 (very first bike)

Offline V7Record

• Hatchling
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2016, 08:40:30 PM »
I've been an IT guy for 35 years, half of that doing Unix/Linux admin.  While I might play with linux at home and occasionally require windows for specific programs I've found that 95% of what I do can be done with a Chromebook.  Both my wife and I have had them for a couple years and so far rock solid, no worries about viruses, fast boot up etc.  Drawback is limited local disk space but cloud storage is available.  They are generally cheaper than most laptops too.  Just putting it out there as another option.

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2016, 10:21:05 PM »
  Thanks for all the advice.  I shall be researching most of it.  I am in no big hurry because right now I am involved in purchasing a home here in North Kohala.  There is a HUGE amount of red tape and I don't want to be distracted until the job is completed or abandoned.  Price of the house is 265 thousand.  For a poor old retard on fixed income that is a real wad so I am progressing with care.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2016, 06:19:18 AM »
Good luck with that, Jim..  :thumb:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2016, 04:17:28 PM »
You moving out to the 'burbs in Kapaau?  Tracy is moving back to Kansas.  Packing up next week.  He's got a 40' Conex box for his bikes, truck and El Camino.  He said that it would cost $10K delivered in SW KS.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2016, 07:14:07 PM »
All the best with the house buying Jim. Can be scary but in my mind at least it is worth it.

Re the pooter, as long as it posts piccies of the wahines........ :grin:
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here