Author Topic: How about that , World Series content  (Read 14180 times)

oldbike54

How about that , World Series content
« on: October 22, 2016, 09:49:28 PM »
 Congratulations to the Cubs and Indians  :thumb: Should be a good series .

Dusty

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
Re: How about that , World Series content
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 09:54:23 PM »
I can finally finish my tattoo,

the 1 in 201_ might be optimistic..
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline radguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • N 44° 01.233 W 069° 41.267 ~ Midcoast, Maine USA
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2016, 09:59:45 PM »

Wow, what a great game... !

Congratulations Cubs...! and Indians... ! 

Current:
2004 EV Touring
'99 EV Hack
'76 V1000 'Vert
'80 SP 1000
2013 Harley FLHTC
'75 Triumph T160 Trident
'78 Triumph T140V Bonneville
'78 Yamaha XS 650
'88 Honda Hawk GT
'84 RZ350 KR
'71 Dalesman Trials

A VeeDub and an MGB...

The Journey is the Reward

Offline Kent in Upstate NY

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 10:15:24 PM »
Correctional educators don't make the criminals you fear. We make the criminals you fear smarter.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 10:15:24 PM »

Offline keuka4884

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2016, 10:30:51 PM »
Go Cubs!! Theo Epstein is the best GM in baseball. Wrigley Field is, along with Fenway, one of the most iconic sports stadiums in America. Great to see!
1978 850 T3
2017 Lincoln Continental Black Label
1996 Cadillac Eldorado Coach Builders convertible

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2016, 12:25:24 AM »
I'm a Chicagoan. My 93-year-old dad phoned me at the final out, squealing in delight. He's never done that before -- not in the years I've known him.

the 1 in 201_ might be optimistic..

The comma may be optimistic, but I have faith that this is the year.
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Offline zedXmick

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2016, 01:16:20 AM »
Go Indians!!!
2010 VFR1200F  DCT

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2016, 07:25:28 AM »
I'm a Chicagoan. My 93-year-old dad phoned me at the final out, squealing in delight. He's never done that before -- not in the years I've known him.

That's the best. So glad your dad got that joy.
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

Online LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2016, 08:37:51 AM »
108 years since the last series win..... and 108 stitches in Mr Spaulding's ball.

There are lots of superstition with that magic number.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2016, 08:43:28 AM »
Lifelong Indians fan, and of course I hope they win but in some way I wish they weren't playing against the Cubs, as I'd like them to win too......but, Go Tribe!

https://youtu.be/GM-IEMlJyak
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2016, 08:48:55 AM »
I remember Mike Royko, great Chicago columnist RIP, writing a piece called "Moms, don't let your sons grow up to be Cubs fans."  :grin: 
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2016, 09:27:17 AM »
No Global Warming if 'Hell is Freezing Over' a must if the Cubs are in it.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

oldbike54

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2016, 10:06:32 AM »
 As a traditional baseball fan , I find myself rooting for both teams . The other traditional fans will get that concept , and there isn't really a good way to explain it . Of course , any time the Yankees or Cardinals don't make the series is a reason to celebrate  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2016, 03:08:37 PM »
As a traditional baseball fan , I find myself rooting for both teams . The other traditional fans will get that concept , and there isn't really a good way to explain it . Of course , any time the Yankees or Cardinals don't make the series is a reason to celebrate  :laugh:

Dusty

Hey, no bashing the Cardinals!

Besides, the National League is abandoning baseball and joining the AL in some funny game where not everybody plays the full requirement. Is it called rounders, or something like that? All I know is that the pitcher now just plays between 1 1/2 and 3 innings, and never even shows up at bat - and some other guy is a permanent pinch-hitter.

Baseball is dead to me.  :cry:
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

oldbike54

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2016, 03:13:00 PM »
Hey, no bashing the Cardinals!

Besides, the National League is abandoning baseball and joining the AL in some funny game where not everybody plays the full requirement. Is it called rounders, or something like that? All I know is that the pitcher now just plays between 1 1/2 and 3 innings, and never even shows up at bat - and some other guy is a permanent pinch-hitter.

Baseball is dead to me.  :cry:

That does happen occasionally ... wait , aren't you Canadian , kind of like me questioning the state of hockey  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2016, 03:28:44 PM »
That does happen occasionally ... wait , aren't you Canadian , kind of like me questioning the state of hockey  :laugh:

Dusty

I was born in Milwaukee and raised in St Louis till I was 12. I saw Stan Musial's last game, shook hands with Bob Gibson when he visited my Little League team, and had a Lou Brock jersey (to go with my Red Berenson STL Blues jersey, obligatory hockey content).  :tongue:
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Online LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2016, 03:31:13 PM »

Dusty

whoa whoa whoa.........no talking down the Cards.    :whip2:
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 03:36:28 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline OlDogface

• Hatchling
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2016, 05:24:02 PM »
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 09:55:18 PM by OlDogface »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

For every fact there is an infinity of hypotheses.
ʉۥ Robert Pirsig

Hymes Inc.

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2016, 06:16:15 PM »
I don't really like baseball but I am rooting for the Cubs to lose. That is way to good a streak to break now. 150 years is a good round number, make it last until then.

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2016, 09:51:56 AM »

:thumb:  Awesome!

Yeah, I'll bet Chicago will be rockin' during the series!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 02:48:41 PM by rocker59 »
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Online kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
  • It's never too late to be what you might have been
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2016, 11:27:01 AM »

This.

Two young scrappy clubs. Two classy old salt managers who love the game and treat it like a chess match. 178 combined years of pent up championship lust....with the exception of Lackey, no megalomaniacal steroid drenched a-holes that you just don't want to see succeed. This is a great matchup. Let's hope the play matches the line card.

I'm a Red Sox fan who lived the last quarter century in Chicago, taking in 10 games or so a year. I went through what Testarossa experienced with my Pop in 2004, heard stories I'd never heard about his youth, as he told them through tears. Chicago will all but implode if they pull it off. It shouldn't be easy for them to do. Really no clear favorite in the series. Just awesome, if you're a sports fan.
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

oldbike54

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2016, 11:34:47 AM »
 Kidsmoke gets it , baseball as it is meant to be .

Dusty

Offline screamday

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2016, 12:36:10 PM »
I remember Mike Royko, great Chicago columnist RIP, writing a piece called "Moms, don't let your sons grow up to be Cubs fans."  :grin:
Forgot all about Mike Royko. Loved reading his column. GO CUBS!
Tony in SC
"Comfort the disturbed and Disturb the comfortable"
1988 R100RS
1998 V11 EV

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2016, 02:04:49 PM »
The news this morning said that the average world series ticket price in Chicago is just north of $3,800. Standing room only is $700. The economy can't be doing too bad. Don't even want to guess what a beer and hotdog will cost you.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2016, 02:09:59 PM »
Mike Royko was my hero. He's why I became editor of my high school paper and went on to a career in journalism. Here's why:

October 5, 1993
Three Ex-Cubs Assure Spurning of Atlanta
     The experts have spoken. The Atlanta Braves are the best of the playoff teams. The bookies have made them the favorites to get to the World Series and win it. Some sports pundits already talk of them as one of the great teams of all time.
     The experts just never learn.
     As always, they ignore that strange, mysterious, and almost-always fatal malady known as the Ex-Cubs Factor.
     Regular readers of this column know about the Ex-Cubs Factor. But bear with me as I explain it to newcomers.
     Twelve years ago, a Chicago sports nut named Ron Berler stumbled across an amazing statistic.
     Since 1946, 13 teams had entered the World Series with three or more ex-Cubs on their roster.
     Twelve of these 13 teams lost.
     Berler theorized that it was a virus. Three or more ex-Cubs could infect an entire team with the will to lose, no matter how skillful that team might appear.
     When Berler revealed his findings, the sports experts sneered and scoffed. Stupid and meaningless, they snickered. No scientific basis, they hooted.
     Then came 1990, and they were still sneering, scoffing, and making their mindless predictions.
     That was the year about 99 percent of the experts declared that the Oakland A's could not possibly lose the World Series.
     Even before the games began, they hailed the A's as one of the greatest teams—maybe the greatest—in the history of the game.
     As the Washington Post's resident baseball genius put it: "Let's make this short and sweet. The baseball season is over. Nobody's going to beat the Oakland A's."
     As Ben Bentley, the Chicago sports savant, said: "Could the Oakland Athletics be the greatest in baseball history?"
     Yes, cried the experts: the greatest, a dynasty, a team of immortals. They could win while yawning.
     But out there were two lonely voices: Berler and this writer.
     We warned of the Ex-Cubs Factor. We pointed out that the A's had foolishly defied the terrible virus by signing a third ex-Cub. And before that World Series began, Berler publicly stated: "As good as they are, they will lose. And they can blame their own arrogance for ignoring history."
     So what happened? Not only did the A's lose, it was world-class humiliation. Four straight defeats. One of sports' all-time flopperoos.
     That made it 13 out of 14 teams with three or more ex-Cubs to collapse in the World Series since World War II.
     The A's haven't been the same since. Once it struck, the ex-Cub virus burrowed into the fiber of the franchise. In only three years they have gone from a dynasty to limping mediocrity. Sources say their hot dogs don't even taste as good as they once did.
     Have the experts learned anything? Of course not. As the late Mayor Richard J. Daley once said: "Duh experts—what do dey know?"
     The sports experts are now hailing the Atlanta Braves as the super-team of this era.
     On Sunday, Dave Kindred, columnist for the Sporting News, wrote: ". . . Atlanta has become baseball's best team since the Yankees of Mickey Mantle and Yogi Berra . . . the NL's best team since the Brooklyn Dodgers of Duke Snider, Gil Hodges, and Pee Wee Reese."
     He may be right. They have thunderous hitters, overwhelming pitchers, and a seamless defense.
     But they also have the dreaded virus. Of the four teams in the playoffs, only the Braves are afflicted by the Ex-Cubs Factor. Only the Braves have three former Cubs.
     They are Greg Maddux, the superb pitcher, Damon Berryhill, the reliable catcher, and . . .
     Even a bleacher creature would be hard-pressed to name the third ex-Cub.
     But Berler, the virus discoverer, knows. "I have it all in my computer," he says.
     A relief pitcher named Jay Howell. Although he has been in the major leagues for 14 years, he's not a big name, not a big star, no flashy stats. A solid journeyman. Probably good to his family, a nice neighbor, a patriot; and he doesn't kick little dogs.
     But he is one of the three skeletons in the Atlanta closet. He has a sordid past.
     For a brief time in 1981, when he was a mere lad, he was a Cub. He pitched in only 10 games, a total of 22 innings, and wasn't very good.
     But as Berler says: "That is all it takes. He is a genuine, bona fide, star-crossed ex-Cub, the poor guy. He is a carrier. It always comes back to your roots. Once a Cub, always a Cub."
     Berler, who is a free-lance writer and teacher, recently interviewed Maddux, who chose to become an Atlanta Brave multimillionaire, rather than a Chicago Cubs multimillionaire, because he wanted to play on a winning team.
     "I told him: 'You think you're leaving a loser? Ha! You are a loser. And you're going to infect your 24 teammates.'"
     He explained the Ex-Cubs Factor to Maddux. And the star pitcher responded by shouting: "I don't believe it, I don't believe it, I don't believe it!"
     So if the Braves defeat the Phillies and make it to the World Series, bet on the Braves at your own peril.
     But this puts a Chicagoan such as myself—a devout Cubs fan—in a difficult position.
     Those who are true fans of the White Sox or Cubs loathe the other team. This crosstown rivalry takes precedent over city pride. So if the Sox play the Braves, I must root for the Braves. It is the only decent thing a Cubs fan can do. Sox fans, being dedicated haters, will understand.
     It will be the first time I will be cheering for a virus.

[Editors' note: The Philadelphia Phillies and the virus beat the Braves, four games to two, in the playoffs.]
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2016, 02:21:56 PM »
Go Tribe! :popcorn:

ZZ

oldbike54

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2016, 02:28:38 PM »
Go Tribe! :popcorn:

ZZ

Cleveland has a rich baseball history . This may be the friendliest and most civil WS since the
Royals/Cardinals series in 1985 .

Dusty

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2016, 02:45:26 PM »
C'mon Cubbies, win one for Royko.  :thumb: :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2016, 02:48:56 PM »
Forgot all about Mike Royko. Loved reading his column. GO CUBS!

great columnist.  my local paper carried him until he passed. 

then the paper went into the dumper when the editor retired.

No doubt Mike and Studs Terkel are cheering the Cubs from above with tall scotchs and strong cigars. 

« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 02:52:40 PM by LowRyter »
John L 

Online LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2016, 02:54:24 PM »
how about another.... younger days  (+ Nelson Algren)

« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 05:01:45 PM by LowRyter »
John L 

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here