Author Topic: How much to charge ?  (Read 6672 times)

oldbike54

How much to charge ?
« on: July 16, 2017, 12:59:49 PM »
 An old acquaintance is considering putting a restaurant in a small town in Eastern Tennessee , despite my advice to simply give his money away  :grin: Anyway , he contacted me this morning about travelling out and helping set it up . He is retired from the military , and does have some resources , although I wouldn't call him rich .

So here is the tentative plan , and the reason for my question . His schedule is to begin in early Sept, usually a time of decent weather , thinking a nice motorcycle trip across AR and TN , 3 days or so both directions , camp out , eat cheap , a week or so of 6 hr days working , mostly installing the kitchen in a design that actually works instead of some architects fantasy . We are already in the process of hunting down some used 40 LB friars , a working used vent hood , some tables and chairs, all of the stuff needed to set up a 100 person capacity operation . Thinking since he asked , and I do in fact have expertise , charging some travel expenses , and X dollars a day seems fair . In today's economy , what do you folks believe is fair , considering he is gonna have to pay someone to lend some real working knowledge to make this happen . Not trying get rich , but thinking fair is fair . Help me out here .

Thanks

Dusty

Offline Farmer Dan

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: How much to charge ?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 01:12:09 PM »
Last company that paid me for that sort of thing gave me 25 cents a mile, $50 a day for meals, $75 for hotel and $15.50 an hour labor/driving.  That was about 10 years ago.
1972 Eldorado
1940 Ford 9N
1937 Browning A5
I love old iron

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 01:13:23 PM »
What you deserve and what he has in mind to pay you may be very different.  Why not ask him what level of compensation for you he has available in his budget?  I've seen some cases in which the guy in your position thinks he's made a very fair request, and the guy in your friend's position expected to get volunteer help.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 01:22:28 PM »
 :1: w/Triple Jim.  Best thing is a contract of work expected and pay.  This could be the end of your "old acquaintance".  I'm thinking that he wants help and not pay for the work. 
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 01:22:28 PM »

oldbike54

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 01:31:55 PM »
 I explained that this was gonna cost him some money . Planned on camping on location , there is a rudimentary shower available , his wife has offered to feed me during the stay . Yes , he may be expecting some "free" labor , but at 63 I simply don't do that anymore . $15.50 an hour , plus maybe $200.00 travel seems reasonable , cheap even in today's economy . He mentioned the idea that since I motorcycle tour anyway ... problem is going East from here is not the norm , and while AR and TN are fine , if I was gonna take an 1,800 mile road trip it would be to the Rocky mountains .

Dusty

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 01:35:07 PM »
How bout free fried food for life?   :shocked:

Offline mojohand

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2017, 01:40:05 PM »
plan on $.55/mile for travel to and from. Charge a day rate for your labor, and add actual travel expenses on top of that. or, you can do a rate of $150/day plus mileage, allowing you to absorb your travel and spend whatever you want.

A 40-lb friar is awfully thin--I thought they ate well ;)

Richmond, VA, USA
-----
2020 BMW R1250RS
-----
Previous: 2000 Jackal, 04 Breva 750, 06 Breva 1100, 07 Norge, 09 Griso, 12 Norge, 14 FJR, 14 Striple, 16 SpeedTriple, 18 KTM Super Adventure S

oldbike54

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2017, 01:47:19 PM »
 You guys are cracking me up  :laugh: Yeah , it should be fryer , not friar . Need a nap  :grin:

Dusty

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2017, 02:45:25 PM »
His wife is going to feed you but no bed with hot shower? Nah that has to included. Does the guy not have a room at his house to offer you?
What is the going rate in his area for someone to put in a commercial kitchen? NY City vs small town TN is a huge difference. TN is a very long state. Can he buy your services locally and not have to pay someone for traveling hundreds of miles + room and board?  I assume he has the tools if are on 2 wheels? Is some of this friendship and some of it business? If he can buy the services locally cheaper than bringing you out then why is he asking you to come out?  Mixing friendship + business means that you might have to give up something or he might have to pay more. Or you split he difference.
I paid a guy to come from Wash DC to evaluate my house for a mold problem. I was quite sick and most mold remediators are basically junk yard guys. You really need an expert. I paid him his hourly rate to drive down from DC spend 3 hours at my house and then the drive back. We fed him. But this was a very highly trained professional in an area that not a lot of people are qualified to do the work. It was not cheap.

So you called him an acquaintance and not a friend. Why does he want your talents and not someone local? Are you going to take a hit in the wallet and give up work at home to drive there and back?
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2017, 02:53:23 PM »
His wife is going to feed you but no bed with hot shower? Nah that has to included. Does the guy not have a room at his house to offer you?

Good point... it would be pretty bad for someone to expect you go travel to his place and work, and not at least give you room and board as part of the deal.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 02:53:46 PM by Triple Jim »
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Online Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2017, 04:11:54 PM »
Tell him to get estimates for the work from at least 3 local contractors.  Insist on a roof over your head, 3 squares a day, at his expense. Then look at the estimates he provides. If you can beat his estimates, and enjoy the work, not go broke on travel expenses,  offer him a price. If not, 'c'est le vie.
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2017, 04:23:55 PM »
Great motorcycling country.  Hope you can get to the Dragon (+ Hwy 28 to Highland) and Skyway.   

Good luck on your venture.   
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2017, 04:32:29 PM »
Don't forget a 1099, can't cheat Uncle Sammy.
Make sure you go home w/a grand after all expenses.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2017, 04:42:16 PM »
And some Advil for all that riding you'll do!!
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2017, 05:09:33 PM »
$200 per 8hr day ($150 for 6hr day) including travel days, plus gas and tolls. If you are camping on location then they should supply meals. If you plan on using motels, then they should pay for lodging and you pay for your meals.
I think you are shortchanging yourself at $15 or so per hour.
Just my $.02

Actually that comes out to $25/hour which is still cheap.
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2017, 07:14:04 PM »
Salary or on the clock?  What about liability if his used stuff doesn't work?  Are you responsible for only the installation?  What permits are required?  Who signs off?  You'll be liable.   
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2017, 07:19:03 PM »
$200 a day plus expenses. Expenses include a decent motel (doesn't have to be a Hagan quality one)  :evil: :smiley: fuel, food.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2017, 07:34:25 PM »
I say go on a motorcycle trip in the opposite direction and don't get involved. Keep friendship and business well separated.

I am leaning towards this.  But I'm a pessimist. 

Yesterday I spoke with my brother about some business deals, and his quote was "you know it's a fair compromise if no one's happy." 
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Online Steph

• Gaggle Hero
  • Cali Stone/ LM3
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2017, 08:32:43 PM »
If he is a friend $200/day (that's actually the going London rate for a basic labourer off the boat here).

I've heard it so many time: retire, thinking a restaurant business would work when they know nothing about restaurants. Has he got a plan? Like, I'd like to clear 40k a year after expenses therefore I need to sell at least 50 burgers & fries each day?

Considering your friend may have a 50/50 chance losing his pension savings in it, I'd ride in the other direction

oldbike54

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2017, 08:34:41 PM »
 Some interesting responses  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2017, 08:51:57 PM »
I agree with Trip Jim and Tom's early comments.

If this guy is any sort of friend, and you are thinking about getting money out of him, this could have the recipe for a disaster insofar as the friendship is concerned. Maybe this is not the case.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 08:52:48 PM by leafman60 »

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2017, 10:24:19 PM »
The biggest premise to factor in.  Can this guy cook?  Going into business may seem like a good idea but staying in business is another requirement and has nothing to do with the first.

He might be watching too much tv on the Food Channel or Travel Channel.  What is his idea for the theme of the restaurant?  Burger & fries?  Cafe?  If he's going this way, I'd say that he's going down a deadend.

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2017, 10:49:50 PM »
I explained that this was gonna cost him some money . Planned on camping on location , there is a rudimentary shower available , his wife has offered to feed me during the stay . Yes , he may be expecting some "free" labor , but at 63 I simply don't do that anymore . $15.50 an hour , plus maybe $200.00 travel seems reasonable
 Dusty

You're making it too complicated.  Give him one price that includes labor, trip, gas, beer.  Call him and see what he's thinking for your time & talent.  Be up front with your price to show up.
Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

oldbike54

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2017, 11:16:16 PM »
You're making it too complicated.  Give him one price that includes labor, trip, gas, beer.  Call him and see what he's thinking for your time & talent.  Be up front with your price to show up.

Wish that was possible , but there are always unknowns . We aren't really friends, he only knows me by reputation from years ago , he wants to copy a theme we were doing 30 years ago . Trust me , I tried to talk him out of the idea , but he is insistent . Really just curious what some of you retired guys think is a fair daily price plus expenses for sharing hard earned expertise and some labor . I like the $200.00 a day rate , plus travel expenses . Don't mind living rough for the 2 weeks total , just need basic facilities and 3 meals a day , nothing fancy .

Dusty

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2017, 12:29:51 AM »
I would have expected "mates rates" to include grub and accommodation as a minimum.

The question then is wether you can or want to spend your money on the fuel (plus a couple of nights accommodation on the road) to get there

2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2017, 01:40:04 AM »
It's a good topic for conversation Dusty, but you are obviously battling conflicting emotions or you wouldn't have floated the topic. Clearly you don't want to be seen to profit from a friendship, but you also have to think of yourself. If it was a good idea, the answer would present itself to you and instantly look attractive. I'd take the earlier advice and go for a ride in the opposite direction. No matter what you do, you will end up cheating either him, or yourself. Most likely the latter...The only way I see that you can keep your conscience intact, is to help him for free and only accept what he offers and leave the mental wrangling to him, you're the one doing the work.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 01:42:41 AM by Huzo »

pete roper

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2017, 06:35:17 AM »
Bugger it! Hold him upside down and shake him till nothing but moths fall out of his pockets! :evil:

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2017, 07:48:36 AM »
I say go on a motorcycle trip in the opposite direction and don't get involved. Keep friendship and business well separated.

Best idea, so far!   :thumb:
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline screamday

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2017, 08:00:22 AM »

Another vote for this idea.  :boozing: :boozing:
Tony in SC
"Comfort the disturbed and Disturb the comfortable"
1988 R100RS
1998 V11 EV

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2017, 08:07:45 AM »
Dusty,
If you go and help him out by listening to my advise and lose your posterior, you'll be mad at me and threaten to come to Texas and hiss on my turnips.

And if I tell you to stay home, you'll be mad at me for not making the extra money (maybe) and my turnips will have Okie hiss on them.

You know the food industry has the highest failure rate of any business. Yet, there is the old adage of, it is better to tried and failed than to not have tried. (That is what I thought when I married my 6th wife). It lasted 13 months.

Good luck in your decision,
Tex

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here