Author Topic: Houston area flood thread  (Read 10519 times)

oldbike54

Re: SE Texas looking serious
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2017, 11:54:00 AM »
It's a weather event that is going to hit Texas and Louisiana and maybe other states as well, and San Antonio, Austin too and all towns in between, are we now going to get into an argument of who's better off than others and therefore those in Houston shouldn't bother to post up.  Ok...I get it now. 

So Businesses in Aransas don't have insurance, but homeowners in Houston do...really?  That's the implication?

Contrary to the "out of state" attitude, the people in the state are trying to help each other, neighbor by neighbor.

Paul , I have no idea how we got from my concern over the folks in Aransas Pass and Port Lavaca to the idea that I was dismissing the problem in Houston . Look , I lived in SE Texas for years and still have friends down there , and have been in Houston when it more resembled a lake than a
city , and who is it that made sure you guys were OK ? Jeez-O-Pete folks , I get it , the flooding is horrible , maybe the worst in the History of Houston , that doesn't change the fact that the eye missed Houston by a country mile . Anyway stay safe .

Dusty

Offline davedel44

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2017, 03:41:04 PM »
Two different effects.  Rockport and area suffered the effects of wind and tidal surge.  Not much media coverage because access to area restricted to first responders. Residents who did not leave are being evacuated now. Residents who evacuated will not be allowed back till officials deem it is safe.  Homes, businesses and lives lost.

Houston feeling effects of historic rainfall, very little wind or storm surge.  Feet of rain in such a short time has all the bayous (streams) out of banks, highway systems flooded. Drainage system taxed.  Many homes and businesses underwater. Water rescues underway as folks trapped on roofs etc.

Same storm different effects in different areas.  Bottom line everyone was/is being hit very hard.

Touched by the way neighbors and strangers are helping each other.  Many private individuals and volunteer organizations responding to help.

I saw it during hurricane Ike.  Texans are a proud, caring and resorceful people.

Myself and my family and my Guzzi are fine.  All the rain is a minor inconvenience, especially in light of what is happening elsewhere.

Religious content please skip if you find it offensive.

If you are the praying kind, your prays would be appreciated.

God bless Texas and God bless my Texas brethren who are suffering.

Dave
Galveston
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 04:01:05 PM by davedel44 »
Bambino- 2013 V7 Stone

Online LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2017, 04:20:45 PM »
Dave, glad you're OK.  There have been folks that have flooded in Galveston.  Stay on high ground. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2017, 06:16:41 PM »
I think it's fair to say that it's a monumental mess down that way, no matter how you draw the lines.  It's going to get worse in the immediate area immediately, and it's going to get worse in places that are unaffected now.  My sympathy and best wishes for everyone in the danger zone.

I was at Money Creek, too (wearing the t-shirt today).  That devastation was the residual effect of Katrina, and was a loooong way north of NO.  The rain and t-storms chased us up MN and across the Dakotas at a speed we could keep up with, but not outrun.  The entire middle third of the continent got hammered.  This one could be as bad.

Stay afloat, folks.  We're pulling for you!

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2017, 06:16:41 PM »

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2017, 11:29:34 PM »
Turnip farmer, are you and Beaver OK?  Fox news makes it look like you might not be.  This storm covers such a big area it's mind blowing according to the TV coverage and it's not over yet.  They're talking about recovery being in years, not months. I know it all depends how the water flows and how high your place is, but............ :undecided:  If you still have power you're luckier than many.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 11:31:22 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Offline azguzzirep

• Gaggle Hero
  • Gratzi Carlo!
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2017, 06:32:25 AM »
Looks like Port A and Rockport are getting hit.

I have a sister in Rockport.  Roof gone, siding gone, two sailboats gone.......
Murphy's  Law sucks!

Offline cloudbase

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2017, 10:56:50 AM »
24.1 inches of rain in the last 48 hours.  Annual average rainfall is 47 inches.

Offline davedel44

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2017, 12:41:41 PM »
Talked to Dan Wolfe he's high and dry in Walker County.

Dave
Galveston
Bambino- 2013 V7 Stone

oldbike54

« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2017, 12:48:46 PM »
 See where Bay City is being evacuated . Dog what a mess , stay safe folks .

Dusty

Offline KiwiKev

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2017, 03:15:29 PM »
Watching the news here saying boats are the new mode of transport- looks pretty grim for sure.

Dusty is that dyslexic agnostic I heard about back in school ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline cloudbase

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2017, 05:30:00 PM »
Houston Intergalactic Airport closed at least until noon Thursday.

oldbike54

« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2017, 10:26:02 PM »
 Check in fellas .

Dusty

Offline Jim Rich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2017, 10:35:26 PM »
Very sad what is happening here.  Much flooding and damage, yet more rain coming the next few days.  Me and mine are fine, feel like the Jews in Egypt during the Passover while watching the news.  Texted Mike H. yesterday, he said his home was OK at that time.

Offline davedel44

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2017, 04:52:06 AM »
Still good.  Light eind/rain tonight. Storm headed east albeit too slow in my opinion.  Conditions should slowly slowly improve over the area.

Dave
Galveston
Bambino- 2013 V7 Stone

Offline davedel44

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2017, 04:54:14 AM »
Paul,

Beaver asking about LD.  Shoot him a text please.

Dave
Galveston
Bambino- 2013 V7 Stone

Offline cloudbase

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2017, 06:30:46 AM »
Still dry.  Looks as though we'll begin to catch a break later today.
My grandniece and her family had to evacuate last night.  They're about six miles south of me.  All the roads leading up to my place were impassable.
They were lucky enough to find the last room at a local hotel.
It's going to be a long recovery.

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2017, 06:58:22 AM »
From another list..
News today said that one river, with a flood level of 26 feet, is now at 53 feet. Jeebus.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2017, 07:11:00 AM »
We're getting our second day of steady rain here in the New Orleans area, so I'm hoping the worst is over for Houston. Best to all our neighbors to the west...
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2017, 09:19:22 AM »
Paul,

Beaver asking about LD.  Shoot him a text please.

Dave
Galveston

He's alive and fine, but don't expect him to join you for a rally or ride anytime soon.  :)
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2017, 09:39:18 AM »
He's alive and fine, but don't expect him to join you for a rally or ride anytime soon.  :)

Please send him another text and let him know his fellow Guzzi riders DO care about him.

Tex

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2017, 03:16:37 PM »
Hey -- Even I liked LD, and except for Slicer, I don't like anyone.  Never have.

Tex, are you expecting to get "hosed", too?  I'm not seeing any rain in your forecast . . . . but I can bring a boat instead of the trike if you need it.

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2017, 03:58:56 PM »
Hey -- Even I liked LD, and except for Slicer, I don't like anyone.  Never have.

Tex, are you expecting to get "hosed", too?  I'm not seeing any rain in your forecast . . . . but I can bring a boat instead of the trike if you need it.

The rain is going to miss us.
I'm trying to find who is putting Miracle Grow on my grass as I have to mow every 5 days. Slicer said he'd get 'em for me.

Tex

Offline webmost

• Gosling
  • Safety Third
    • The Sotweed Factor
« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2017, 04:30:01 PM »
I got an order for an FX Smith's Sons cigar sampler from a guy in Dickenson Texas three days ago. Dickenson's about half way from Houston towards Galveston. Packed the sampler up ready to mail.... But then the very next day, that story hit the news about this gaggle of old gals in a nursing home about to float off their wheelchairs ... in Dickenson TX. So, obviously, I still have the cigar package in hand.

But just for kix I've been keeping an eye on Dickenson news. Yesterday was mandatory evac. Today was vids of boat rescues and such. Here's the remarkable thing tho: So many people still have internet! You see vids of people being pulled out of second floor windows cause they were able to text for help. Like the nursing home gals ... one facebooked her daughter in Florida who put the word out, then rescuers waded in and fetched them out. One shot I see water halfway up the light pole, but the stoplights are still flashing. How they keeping up power? Mystery. Their web page is up. Galveston news page is up. Big news is their Dickenson Fighting Gators football games are cancelled. Bummer. Newspaper apologizes that delivery may be spotty. Subscriber Curtiss Brown misses his comics and crypto quotes. Subscriber Brian Goldman bitches: "Considering that two days ago you threw the paper in my flower garden rather than on my porch and yesterday you did the same thing and didn't even double bag it so that it was soaked I wouldn't expect today to be any better." Get a grip, Bri. Officer Steve Perez drowned. Someone asks what the fishing will be like when this subsides.

Pretty weird following the news from one obscure little town like this, rather than the quick "hit the high points" approach you get from news.

Guys gonna get one helluva cigar bomb from me, when ir if he can get back home and the mail can run.

Weird scene.

These guys are gonna be just fine tho:

Unmitigated risk aversion is the new Puritanism; complete with witch hunts funny outfits and humorless preachers thundering doom. The Deity is Safety; Satan is a Lawyer; but the object is the same: to suck the life out of life and tell you how to live it.

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2017, 04:32:52 PM »
Please send him another text and let him know his fellow Guzzi riders DO care about him.

Tex

At the risk of stirring the pot:

I'm sure he'd love to hear from you Tex...I did convey in this morning's text that the Guzzi family was concerned about his welfare and checked in to make sure he was fine, which he says he is.  Not sure there's much more to be gained at this point, he really doesn't want to engage here anyway.  Quite frankly, I only reached out to him because Dave and Beaver are such sweet people, I can't deny them their request.

Truth be told LD has rebuffed all of us and myself so many times on more than a dozen invitations to ride here that I really don't think he gives a hoot what we do and he's never offered to help anyone here on this board do anything.   He asked for so much advice for his own projects on so many topics and took none of it, whether it be moto or car related or any other subject. 

Please don't ask me to play secretary here any further and relay any more messages to LD...I'm more concerned with helping others in the neighborhood, delivering donations and supplies and making sure my own family, my work teams and their families and my neighbors and friends are fine, I don't really have time to worry about LD. 

:)
Paul R
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline Nick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2017, 05:08:34 PM »
Hi Paul,
just got back from the "Old Country" and read this thread. Don't know many Guzzi riders in TX, but glad you and yours, Ken H, Georgeann and their families, Dave and his are doing OK. I hope the worst is over.
Ciao,
Nick
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 05:10:26 PM by Nick »

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #55 on: August 29, 2017, 05:14:01 PM »
Mille grazie Nick!  Look forward to hearing about it at the GRIT rally...assuming we can make it!  Ci vediamo pronto!

There are about 10 other riders I know about here in Houston and nearby including Austin, Lockhart and San Antonio.  So far, everyone I've been in touch with is OK...although some are now at risk of flooding near the Brazos river.

I'm thinking that the guys in Lockhart really lucked out...they can always go to Black's for some good BBQ!

Paul R
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline bettythebear

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #56 on: August 29, 2017, 06:05:13 PM »
Mille grazie Nick!  Look forward to hearing about it at the GRIT rally...assuming we can make it!  Ci vediamo pronto!

There are about 10 other riders I know about here in Houston and nearby including Austin, Lockhart and San Antonio.  So far, everyone I've been in touch with is OK...although some are now at risk of flooding near the Brazos river.

I'm thinking that the guys in Lockhart really lucked out...they can always go to Black's for some good BBQ!

It's less than two miles from the house! Sometimes we even ride our bicycles over there.
2011 MG v7 Classic
2020 Husqvarna Vitpilen 401

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #57 on: August 29, 2017, 06:12:57 PM »
Now you're just being cruel!  I can taste it from here!
Paul R
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline bettythebear

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #58 on: August 29, 2017, 06:28:36 PM »
Now you're just being cruel!  I can taste it from here!

It actually didn't take long to get burnt out on bbq. Luckily, this little town has seen a healthy migration of younger folk from Austin, most of whom have opened businesses. We now have a coffee shop, a truly fantastic pizza shop and bar, a burger and wing place, a more upscale bistro, and supposedly are getting a brewery in town soon. Of course the county realizes how well things are going, and tries to raise the property taxes accordingly.
2011 MG v7 Classic
2020 Husqvarna Vitpilen 401

Offline davedel44

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: August 29, 2017, 06:53:39 PM »

At least he's OK.

Dave
Galveston
Bambino- 2013 V7 Stone

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here