Author Topic: Tattley Rappet NZ Rally 2019. Oct 25-27  (Read 4648 times)

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
Re: Tattley Rappet NZ Rally 2019. Oct 25-27
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2019, 02:24:41 AM »
Just got home this evening.  had to connect up the 'pooter which had had a hissy fit.  Will try to get some photos downloaded.

The rally was fantastic and the venue (The RSA) was within easy walking distance.  Saturdays ride was up the Motueka valley, lunch at St Arnaud (the Nelson Lakes area) and then down to Dovedale via a road I had never been down (and fantastic riding it was).  After gathering at the Brightwater Hotel it was back to Motueka via the inland Moutere Road.  Weather fine and a famtastic day out.  While watching one off the Blenheim riders going off-road to visit the memorial site of one of WG's former member (Roundbarrel) I happened to bump in to my former flatmate from my miss-spent youth who had joined the Blenheim contingent for the ride on his Triumph.  Was good to catch up with him; still somewhat of a larrican

Sundays ride was through to my old stamping grounds of Golden Bay.  We were supposed to meet at the salmon farm there for lunch, and then it was all for themselves and go and explore.  Some of course sailed past the turnoff, some ending up at the base of Farewell Spit some 45kms beyond.  The only off happened at the salmon farm, where a rider on a Cali had to dodge a car on a sharp RH bend on the narrow road, snagged his floorboards and ended up in the trees.  Bike was ok but he damaged his ankle so back-up had to ride it home.  For some, riding the 25km Takaka Hill was a first time experience.  Many big block owners found that the smallblock owners found it a much easier ride simply because of their flickability.  On the way in to the township of Takaka I happened to follow for a time the little 1938 PE250.  The rally was it's first outing, and by the second day Fabi, the rider, was beginning to have a bit of confidence that it would hold up.  I clocked him at 55mph into a strong head wind.  The little beast was humming! :thumb: :grin:

A really great rally and I think that all would say a fantastic time had by all. Congratulations to the organisers. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I then ducked back over the golden Bay and spent three days doing a bit of cleaning up around our families 4th generation holiday home (called a bach).  Lovely weather, followed by a great ride home today.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 02:26:20 AM by Muzz »
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline Mr Revhead

• Gosling
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2019, 04:19:37 AM »
Good to meet ya Muzz!
"Saturdays ride was up the Motueka valley, lunch at St Arnaud (the Nelson Lakes area) and then down to Dovedale via a road I had never been down" You must have gotten lost! It was:
Westbank to Tapawera, St Arnaud via Kawatiri Junction, then onto Brightwater via 88 Valley (Unless you missed the turn off!) then the Moutere. Dovedale is down another road off the Mot valley ;)

Certainly the small blocks favour the Takaka hill, the Sport went ok over there but you need to be aware!
That little PE250 amazed me with its speed! Who would think a 1938 would comfortably sit at 80+ kmh all weekend!
Was an awesome weekend, can't wait until the next one!

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2019, 03:27:14 PM »
I then ducked back over the golden Bay and spent three days doing a bit of cleaning up around our families 4th generation holiday home (called a bach).

So, is it only in Otago and Southland it is called a crib?

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2019, 01:33:39 AM »
So, is it only in Otago and Southland it is called a crib?

Correct Dave.  When I flatted in Palmerston North for a year thw guys from auckland called the holiday home a whare, myself a bach and the guy from Mosgiel called it a crib.

Took a bit of discussion to work out they were all the same thing.
03 Breva

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2019, 01:33:39 AM »

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2019, 01:49:07 AM »
Good to meet ya Muzz!
 then onto Brightwater via 88 Valley (Unless you missed the turn off!) then the Moutere. Dovedale is down another road off the Mot valley ;)

Certainly the small blocks favour the Takaka hill, the Sport went ok over there but you need to be aware!
That little PE250 amazed me with its speed! Who would think a 1938 would comfortably sit at 80+ kmh all weekend!
Was an awesome weekend, can't wait until the next one!

If I was lost then i wasn't the only one. :grin:   How about Belgrove. :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :rolleyes: I had been down the road that went through Kikawar but not the 88 Valley (didn't know the name of it).

When I was Nelson College and later Palmy I did a lot of commuting on the old Moutere road on Oily Esmel, mu old 1948 G3L Matchy; the Coast road had yet to be built.
03 Breva

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2022, 08:16:37 AM »
Ha ha Muzz, I happened by a couple of guys returning to Auckland (in Taupo) thiis arvo

Think one of those guys may have been Kiwi Dave
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline guzzler

• Gosling
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2022, 03:19:26 PM »
Think one of those guys may have been Kiwi Dave
Ha ha
Good to see a greenie over there!
Cheers Guzzler
Ps It's a Bach, never heard them called anything else.
Then again, I've been away for 40+ years!

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2022, 02:58:13 PM »
hi Guzzler. You probably originally hail from a generally central part of NZ, don't roll your "R's" and don't tack eh on the end of every sentence. :grin: :grin:

edit: missed the one up in Opononi this year. :cry: Busy recovering from a heart valve replacement.  2023 is in Alexandra this year. Accommodation all booked and ready to rumble!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 03:03:51 PM by Muzz »
03 Breva

Offline guzzler

• Gosling
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2022, 03:11:51 PM »
hi Guzzler. You probably originally hail from a generally central part of NZ, don't roll your "R's" and don't tack eh on the end of every sentence. :grin: :grin:

edit: missed the one up in Opononi this year. :cry: Busy recovering from a heart valve replacement.  2023 is in Alexandra this year. Accommodation all booked and ready to rumble!
Ha ha
Cheers Muzz, From Christchurch too....!
Guzzler ( with a greenie )

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here