Author Topic: "Fault reporting LED" on 98 EV.  (Read 360 times)

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
"Fault reporting LED" on 98 EV.
« on: February 27, 2023, 12:47:10 PM »
Hello Folks, what is the small red LED light  next to the seat latch, on my 98 V 11 EV used for? I imagine its a diagnostic thing, but I have never seen it light up.or flash on my bike. Can anyone tell me how that light is used?
Thanks
Rick D.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
Re: "Fault reporting LED" on 98 EV.
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2023, 12:55:21 PM »
It is for diagnosis, you follow a procedure and it then flashes a certain number of times for what ever fault is recorded. I forgot the steps, something like turn on the key but don’t start bike or start it, turn off but leave key in the on position not turned all the way to the left…and so on. I think it’s detailed in the fuel injection supplement manual but I have not found that on line. Maybe it’s at this old tractor.com but last time I looked I didn’t see it.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2023, 02:32:36 PM »
The system does not STORE fault codes.  It only reports active error codes at the time.
Adjacent to the LED location you will find a wire and and unused cover plug.  Place the cover over the wire and then turn the key to on.  If there are errors the light will flash and you have to interpret a number.  Two digits; first digit then pause then second digit.  one-pause-five-pause-one-pause-five pause, etc, etc.  Would represent code 15.  There is a chart in the manual to show what codes represent. 

It is very limited in reporting.  I have only ever once seen a reliable fault code for the timing chest phonic sensor with a bad wire.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2023, 03:12:06 PM »
Thanks ,Photo,and Pat, I appreciate the information. I will play around with it, and see if mine shows anything. It reminds me of the old "pre-OBD" car days. Some of those systems were more than a bit frustrating. I think a really old Datsun I owned had that type of system. Seems like it was the pre-cursor to the current computerization of everything!  :grin:

Rick D.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2023, 03:12:06 PM »

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2023, 03:16:03 PM »
I know Patrick has put this manual up here many times also, read & learn. If you go for a Diag ride, plug in the cap. On the return do not shut off bike cause it only works for that ride. So leave it run & look at light.

https://guzzitek.org/atelier/gb/1000/ECUP8(I_GB)MAJ02.pdf
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2023, 06:45:37 PM »
Thank you, Steve. Will do.Much  appreciated.
Rick.

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2023, 07:22:37 PM »
I know Patrick has put this manual up here many times also, read & learn. If you go for a Diag ride, plug in the cap. On the return do not shut off bike cause it only works for that ride. So leave it run & look at light.

https://guzzitek.org/atelier/gb/1000/ECUP8(I_GB)MAJ02.pdf
yeah. that's the FI supplement i was referring to.. worth printing out.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2023, 12:52:53 AM »
 :thumb: I just printed it and added to my Guzzi 3 ring binder.
many thanks,
Rick.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here