Author Topic: OEM MG V7/V7R Rock Guard/Belly Pan  (Read 555 times)

Offline Frulk

• New Egg
OEM MG V7/V7R Rock Guard/Belly Pan
« on: January 19, 2022, 11:48:19 AM »
In the thread about weight of the V7R Iron Cross Junction (ICJ) asked about the OEM Belly Pan. Rather than bury the discussion there I started a new thread.

ICJ.....I may have mislabeled it a belly pan. There is no coverage of the oil pan but the item does kind of wrap around the sides of the front lower portion of the motor and has air vent slits in the sides to allow air to go through (besides going through the front screen). I wouldn't call it a chin spoiler but maybe a modified chin/motor guard???

I don't have the OEM parts number but bought it about 3 years ago from AF1 in Austin Texas.  At the time (and I remember this clearly) they were selling them for $19.99 (which as we all know for an MG OEM part may be the lowest price we have ever seen on something like that).  Came with stainless steel fasteners for the sides in unfinished, all white. It's a heavier resin but not fiberglass.

I took the mesh screen out of the front (held on by either self-taping screws or small nut/bolts...don't remember which) and rattle canned it chrome and then scored up the body with some fine grit sandpaper and rattle canned it with something from Home Depot that closely matched the frame color. In fact, it was so close that had I clear coated it the match would have been factory perfect. I'll do that next time I pull it off the bike (the plan is to put the bike on perm static display in the basement once its finished and I want the bike to look as good as possible before doing that)

Anyway, putting it on was WAY more complicated than I expected. The two main fasteners on the sides go into threaded holes in frame tabs that had been painted over at the factory. THIS then required I pull the exhaust off (pipes blocked dirtect access) to allow me to get into the holes with a tap to clean the paint out before I could thread the bolts in on either side

It's held up well, gives a more aesthetically pleasing/finished appearance (to my eyes) to the lower half of the motor and I think adds to the cafe look of the V7R, but think it would look good on an V7.

Close up:  Note...that white on the bottom of the guard is not chipped or cracked...just 3 years of riding flecking a little of the paint off.

In profile:

From the side:

« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 11:52:24 AM by Frulk »

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
Re: OEM MG V7/V7R Rock Guard/Belly Pan
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2022, 12:14:02 PM »
I think they’re more officially called chin fairings or chin spoiler.

Regardless of nomenclature, I like the look of ‘em. The bikes in the Fast Endurance I think all use them. Curious what amount of performance advantage they lend. Yours is red, so obviously it’s faster now!
Current: ‘16 Guzzi V7 II Stone, ‘78 BMW R80/7

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here