Author Topic: GuzziDiag HowTo - A tutorial for beginners  (Read 554110 times)

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Geese Fly in a Proper V
Re: GuzziDiag HowTo - A tutorial for beginners
« Reply #180 on: August 01, 2014, 04:18:37 PM »
I recieved the cables from LonElec yesterday, and was using them to try and get GD going.  It connected with the ECU, but I was unable to download the current map in the ECU.  WO pointed out to me that you can only run one program at a time. As usual, there was a basic flaw in my technique.  :D
If you wish to know what a man is, place in him authority.
False accusations reflect more on the accuser than the accused.
They can take everything from you, including your life, except your honor and integrity.  That you must give away.
Do or don't do. There is no try.
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #181 on: August 01, 2014, 10:42:14 PM »
What should I set the TPS at on an 07 Norge.  Just uploaded the new map and need to reset TPS.  What do I set it at?? ???
They can take everything from you, including your life, except your honor and integrity.  That you must give away.
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

Offline Waterbottle

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #182 on: August 01, 2014, 11:03:29 PM »
It should set itself ? Rotate the throttle and allow it to snap back to the idle stop, Click Reset.
On the my Griso it sets at 4.7 % from memory
2015 Griso SE Rosso
2012 Stelvio 8V
2009 Griso R  Track only
76 GT 750 Suzuki
If you Ride a Griso, You need Tyres with Gription

beetle

« Reply #183 on: August 01, 2014, 11:11:44 PM »
Yep. Waterbottle's method is the good way to do it. 4.6/4.7/4.8 are all 'normal' values.

It's the butterfly angle, BTW.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #183 on: August 01, 2014, 11:11:44 PM »

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #184 on: August 02, 2014, 11:00:08 AM »
SUCCESS!!!!  I actually got the new map uploaded, reset the TPS,(it showed  4.7 prior to reset) and it runs!!  No more popping on overrun, it seems to be smoother, and we are checking on the fuel economy.  I did not reset the learned parameters though, do I need to?  Does the Norge have them??  My next battle is to balance the TB's and reset the TPS on the 04 Ballabio.  I already set the valves to .10/.15 per Guziology. Last time I set them to .15/.20 but that was last year.  I looked up Guzziology for the settings and seen they were .10/.15.  Then I looked at last time I set them and I had set them at .15/.20. We'll see if it makes a difference. Now to figure out how to balance the TB's and rest the TPS on the Ballabio.  :D
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #185 on: August 02, 2014, 11:31:08 AM »
New question.  My Ballabio has a Kit ECU, has the MG emblem on it also.  Will DG read and write to it also??
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

Offline molly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #186 on: August 02, 2014, 11:58:55 AM »
SUCCESS!!!!  I actually got the new map uploaded, reset the TPS,(it showed  4.7 prior to reset) and it runs!!  No more popping on overrun, it seems to be smoother, and we are checking on the fuel economy.  I did not reset the learned parameters though, do I need to?  Does the Norge have them??  My next battle is to balance the TB's and reset the TPS on the 04 Ballabio.  I already set the valves to .10/.15 per Guziology. Last time I set them to .15/.20 but that was last year.  I looked up Guzziology for the settings and seen they were .10/.15.  Then I looked at last time I set them and I had set them at .15/.20. We'll see if it makes a difference. Now to figure out how to balance the TB's and rest the TPS on the Ballabio.  :D

Yes the Norge as the learned parameters and you can reset to remove stored data from the lambda. Allow a few hundred miles to check the fuel consumption to get a accurate measure.
Dave

Lincolnshire, U.K.

Griso 1100

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #187 on: August 02, 2014, 12:47:18 PM »
Yes the Norge as the learned parameters and you can reset to remove stored data from the lambda. Allow a few hundred miles to check the fuel consumption to get a accurate measure.

The Norge has a O2 sensor?? I looked and didn't see one in the pipes.  I can reset the learned tonight by hooking it back up preety quick I think.
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #188 on: August 02, 2014, 02:32:20 PM »
New question.  My Ballabio has a Kit ECU, has the MG emblem on it also.  Will DG read and write to it also??

For that ECU (15M) you will need to download the 15M Reader & Writer. Different ECU, different reader/writer. AND the TPS is set manually not automatic. You will also have to change the model in preferences and see the 15M in the box on lower left in GuzziDiag.

The Norge O2 is in the collector under trans, it's right below the starter and wiring plug is behind the starter(remove starter cover, you will see).
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 02:37:15 PM by guzzisteve »
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #189 on: August 02, 2014, 03:36:04 PM »
I was aware of the different ECU, and have those downloaded.  The O2 sensor information is GREATLY  ;-T :bow  appreciated.  I guess now I should go in and shut off the Lamda sensor, and reset the learned parameters.

On the Ballabio I have the balance rod disconnected, and a screw backed out part ways.  I was unable to get a mv reading on my meter, so now I have no idea what my TPS is set at.  Sounds like the GD will clear that up for me lickity split. This is my first ever attempt at balancing a TB and setting the TPS.   This oughta be good!! ::)  Watching this should be some what akin to watching a monkee try and rape a greased football!! :o ;D

I aint skeered!! Foolish perhaps, but not scared!!!! :D
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

beetle

« Reply #190 on: August 02, 2014, 06:28:59 PM »
 I guess now I should go in and shut off the Lamda sensor, and reset the learned parameters.

If it's a map from myself or molly, the Lambda is already off. You don't need to do anything.

I was unable to get a mv reading on my meter, so now I have no idea what my TPS is set at.  Sounds like the GD will clear that up for me lickity split.

The resolution of the TPS voltage from the ECU is too low for an accurate read by GD, so It won't help with resetting the TPS on your Ballabio. You will still need to use a multimeter.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 06:29:28 PM by beetle »

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #191 on: August 02, 2014, 06:36:17 PM »

If it's a map from myself or molly, the Lambda is already off. You don't need to do anything.

The resolution of the TPS voltage from the ECU is too low for an accurate read by GD, so It won't help with resetting the TPS on your Ballabio. You will still need to use a multimeter.

I got the map from one of gentlemen associated with GD, so I'll guess that the Lambda is off.  Thanks for the heads up on the TPS reset.  Will GD read the KIT ECU with the Guzzi emblem on it?  Looks like a Guzzi authorized ECU.  ???
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

Offline Hit Man

• Gosling
« Reply #192 on: August 02, 2014, 08:21:32 PM »
Been to that website. Waiting to get  response from them the total cost in USD, and what just the USB adapter alone would cost.  I already have the FIAT adapter.

Matt - care to share what the total landed cost were for the cables?
Griso: -noun  Slang.  ‘hit man’    e.g., to 'grease' someone   Origin: Italiano 2007 (plus Todd Haven-rip)

MGNOC
AMCA
VJMC

2007 Griso  - with the long pushrods
1971 Ambo - long in the tooth
1973 Honda CL350 K5  - long chain
1989 Suzuki Katana 750 (long gone)
1989 Suzuki GS500E (long gone

beetle

« Reply #193 on: August 02, 2014, 09:00:33 PM »
I got the map from one of gentlemen associated with GD, so I'll guess that the Lambda is off.  Thanks for the heads up on the TPS reset.  Will GD read the KIT ECU with the Guzzi emblem on it?  Looks like a Guzzi authorized ECU.  ???

AFAIK it's a 15x Marelli ECU (15M probably) so yes, it will work.

UPDATE: It's a 15RC ECU.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 09:28:43 PM by beetle »

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #194 on: August 02, 2014, 10:41:24 PM »

Matt - care to share what the total landed cost were for the cables?

I think about $36.00 after the shipping and currency exchange was said and done.  Cheaper than the $9.00 I wasted on cables that didn't work! ::)
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

Offline jcb72

• New Egg
« Reply #195 on: August 03, 2014, 03:01:17 AM »
Hi first time post.

Ok got the cables same ones recommended, does anyone have any idea where the diagnostics port is on a 2011 V7 Racer ?

I would like to switch the lamda off and possibly do something to fix with cold starts (if  I take off without a warm up I cannot get from 1st to 2nd gear lol).
If anyone else has tried this on a v7 can you share your experiences.

thanks in advance

JCB
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 03:37:40 AM by jcb72 »

Vasco DG

« Reply #196 on: August 03, 2014, 03:17:31 AM »
From memory, (I've been on holidays for two weeks, Hooray!) the ECU is on the left hand side under the side panel. Port hangs off a 'Tail from the ECU.

Remove the side panel and fish about  its obvious.

Pete

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #197 on: August 03, 2014, 07:22:55 AM »
I just made a trip that I had to cut short but, while covering about 1400 miles, I tested a couple of maps. I'm trying to find the best tradeoff for performance and fuel economy (still looking).

Having a system like Guzzidiag is great.

You just plug up your laptop and download a new map.

Here's a pic of me doing this at my campsite in the mountains of NC. Can't be much easier.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 07:26:21 AM by leafman60 »

Hellgate

Re:
« Reply #198 on: August 03, 2014, 08:08:47 AM »
Very cool Leaf.

Offline Thunderbox

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #199 on: August 03, 2014, 04:17:52 PM »
After thinking about this for a while I am wondering if those people who can't get Guzzidiag to work are connecting to the wrong connector under the seat.  There are 2 connectors that are the same on the Norge.  One is one the right side midway up the seat and the other is in the rear by the fuse panel.

Just saying that maybe some who can't get the system to work are connecting to the wrong connector.
Relatively few riders are lucky enough to discover that there is a lot more to a lifetime of motorcycling enjoyment than just going fast. Those who do... become "motorcyclists".  The rest just happen to be riding a motorcycle.

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #200 on: August 03, 2014, 06:18:14 PM »
After thinking about this for a while I am wondering if those people who can't get Guzzidiag to work are connecting to the wrong connector under the seat.  There are 2 connectors that are the same on the Norge.  One is one the right side midway up the seat and the other is in the rear by the fuse panel.

Just saying that maybe some who can't get the system to work are connecting to the wrong connector.

Thats with bike with the bosch ABS unit that has a seperate  diag connector, for guzzidiag on ABS bikes, the connector with two wires is the one to use. Three wire there is abs diagnostics.
Paul

Daytona 1225, Stelvio 1151

Download Guzzidiag here: http://www.von-der-salierburg.de/download/GuzziDiag/

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #201 on: August 03, 2014, 06:25:51 PM »
I see  settings for the stepper motor.  Can it be used to rid the bike of the stepper motor raising RPM even when the motor is warm?  I know there is a by-pass that can be built in, but can it be fixed through the ECU?
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

Vasco DG

« Reply #202 on: August 03, 2014, 07:21:30 PM »
Unfortunately not. That is apparently in the code and can't be modified if I understand Mark correctly.

Pete

beetle

« Reply #203 on: August 03, 2014, 07:26:07 PM »
Correct. Some maps have the idle rise by ~300 rpm when the clutch is pulled in. This is hard coded into software.

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #204 on: August 03, 2014, 07:35:58 PM »
So what happens if I saylower the stepper setting from the 100 it shows to a 0? It shows two differnet numbers on two different displays.  What do they mean??
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

beetle

« Reply #205 on: August 04, 2014, 03:39:17 AM »
The stepper values are read-only.

Online Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #206 on: August 04, 2014, 08:06:31 AM »

What ???
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

beetle

« Reply #207 on: August 04, 2014, 05:46:32 PM »
You can't use the voltage reading, you have to use the TPS angle reading. Sorry for the confusion!  ;D
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 05:48:01 PM by beetle »

Offline 1Sourdough

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #208 on: August 04, 2014, 07:01:50 PM »
...oh yeah-  can the tutorial be saved as a sticky? This is a very helpful thread.

You might Bookmark the link for this thread since it doesn't seem to have any sticky on it. 
1993 Strada 1000, 1996 R1100RT, 1999 V11 EV
                            -30-

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #209 on: August 05, 2014, 05:58:32 PM »
Okay, new problem.  While hooked up to GD, I start the Ballabio and lose all readouts.  How can I read the tach on GD if it shuts down when I  start the Ballabio?  What am I doing wrong??
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here