Author Topic: If you’re servicing your V85  (Read 673 times)

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
If you’re servicing your V85
« on: November 19, 2022, 11:27:33 PM »
Or anything else for that matter..
I was doing the 30,000 k service on my V85 and noted that the rear brake pads were past their best, that would be ok except that one pad had a fair bit more wear than the other.
The rear caliper on the ‘85 is like most bikes of it’s ilk, in that it has dual pistons on one side and relies on the caliper sliding on pins to bring the opposite pad to bear on the disc. I attempted to slide the caliper to create some play to remove the caliper and found it to be pretty well jammed..!
Once I got it off, it was apparent that the caliper was not sliding on the pins because of this.

It seems that the pins were lubricated at the factory with a mixture of pasta sauce and mud from the floor of Lake Como. I cleaned it up back to the (now pitted) surface of the pin and applied some high temp grease.

So just a heads up, although probably none of us needed to be told Luigi is a bit lousy with grease.
Anyway……Just sayin’.

Offline Sye

• Gosling
  • Be nice, feel good
Re: If you’re servicing your V85
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2022, 01:37:52 AM »
Make sure you don't use petroleum based grease on the pins as it makes the rubber boots swell over time and allows water and dust through. Use red rubber grease or silicon based.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2022, 03:44:11 AM »
Make sure you don't use petroleum based grease on the pins as it makes the rubber boots swell over time and allows water and dust through. Use red rubber grease or silicon based.
Ahhhh.
Maybe I should check on that Sye, if needs be I will clean it off and use rubber grease.
Thank you.

Offline Sye

• Gosling
  • Be nice, feel good
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2022, 03:54:24 AM »
Huzo, I use ACF50 corrosion block grease. One of the worst kept secrets of motorcycle maintenance. Waterproof, won't wash out, not petroleum based, doesn't affect rubber, plastic or paintwork. One tub should last a lifetime if you can get it in OZ.

http://www.acf-50.co.uk/corrosion_block_grease.htm

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2022, 03:54:24 AM »

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2022, 04:18:46 AM »
Huzo, I use ACF50 corrosion block grease. One of the worst kept secrets of motorcycle maintenance. Waterproof, won't wash out, not petroleum based, doesn't affect rubber, plastic or paintwork. One tub should last a lifetime if you can get it in OZ.

http://www.acf-50.co.uk/corrosion_block_grease.htm
I’ll check it out Sye.

Online blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2022, 06:44:37 AM »
I just replaced my rears at 24,000 miles .  They were worn evenly, but 3/4 finished.  I did not want the heat of worn pads to warp the rotors.  Since I ride the bike in a "sporty" fashion and do not do much off road work, I find this totally acceptable.  BTW, the fronts still look pretty thick.  I check each oil change of 6,000 miles but they come out so easily, you could check more often.
Blue Guzz

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2022, 12:06:24 PM »
I just replaced my rears at 24,000 miles .  They were worn evenly, but 3/4 finished.  I did not want the heat of worn pads to warp the rotors.  Since I ride the bike in a "sporty" fashion and do not do much off road work, I find this totally acceptable.  BTW, the fronts still look pretty thick.  I check each oil change of 6,000 miles but they come out so easily, you could check more often.
The pads came out easily, it was the caliper that was binding on the pins.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here