Author Topic: COLD HANDS!  (Read 8886 times)

Online kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
  • It's never too late to be what you might have been
Re: COLD HANDS!
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2018, 07:06:25 AM »
electricity notwithstanding:

as far as keeping wind and moisture off your hands, allowing your fingers to help one another, and allowing for dexterity, I don't think you can do better than this...

put these:

https://www.amazon.com/Pearl-Softshell-Lobster-Gloves-Bundle/dp/B010E3G6LY/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1515070699&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=pearl+izumi+lobster+gloves&psc=1

in these:

http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-triple-digit-covers.html

I've used the Pearl Izumi lobster claws for 20 years as a year round cycling commuter in Chicago and they've always performed exceedingly well. Adding the Aerostitch triples for the additional wind/water/gauntlet layer puts them over the top, in my experience.

'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

bpreynolds

« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2018, 08:33:37 AM »
I don't believe ya.

Let's see I can either:

Put on the thermal layers (under armor top/bottom and thermal socks, plus glove liners), followed by the fleece-lined jeans/long sleeve shirt, maybe a small sweatshirt, followed by the widder vest and electric gloves, followed by the aerostich jacket, pants, a balaclava and neck warmer to seal the helmet to the jacket and vest with the heated collar) and waddle like the Michelin man out to the Sporty with the tall windshield and wind deflector guards for the hands, bend over plug in, and somehow find that even though I tucked my jeans in my boots under the aerostich pants there's still an air leak SOMEWHERE... and the helmet which is mostly sealed and using a pinlock to avoid fog is still got a wisp of cold air on my face, and then I hit highway speeds and it's like the wind is just coming through the whole outfit like a ghost anyway.

OR

I can remote start the Jeep, which turns the heated seat on too and get in it after less than 5 minutes and by 10 minutes I'm thinking I need to roll down a window cause I'm too hot.

Nope, no way....

of course YMMV.

I remember back in the 90's before my heated vest I used to wear a one-piece snowmobile suit for my 1.5 hour long commute. Even then I don't think I was ever REALLY warm...just not "cold" at best.

:grin:
Well now wait a minute.
Waddling never really bothers me much.  I kinda waddle a little anyhow, even without my gear.  And I gotta ask, where you get one these reeeemote controlled cars?  Me, I got an ’02 Tracker that, while a fantastic vehicle otherwise, takes half my commute to truly warm up unless I want to scurry out to start it up early and scurry back in the house.  A lot of scurrying there. I like waddling better.  :1:

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2018, 08:45:23 AM »
:grin:
Well now wait a minute.
Waddling never really bothers me much.  I kinda waddle a little anyhow, even without my gear.  And I gotta ask, where you get one these reeeemote controlled cars?  Me, I got an ’02 Tracker that, while a fantastic vehicle otherwise, takes half my commute to truly warm up unless I want to scurry out to start it up early and scurry back in the house.  A lot of scurrying there. I like waddling better.  :1:
Ha ha I had one of those too...

Maybe it's the tiny engine and soft top?

I think the motor in the Jeep is more than double the size and I've got an insulated fiberglass top for winter.

Not to mention the heated seats!

Next one will have a heated steering wheel too.

Though I must confess this one doesn't have remote start because it's a 6-spd, but the wife's Grand Cherokee does. Doesn't matter because they both live in an attached/insulated garage so even though they get cold, they are rarely below 40°F or so at worst, at least for me.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 08:46:07 AM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

bpreynolds

« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2018, 09:57:29 AM »
My Tracker is the 4d 4w4 hard top but I always envy the convertibles.  That Jeep is sharp!

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2018, 09:57:29 AM »

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2018, 10:01:25 AM »
My Tracker is the 4d 4w4 hard top but I always envy the convertibles.  That Jeep is sharp!

My Tracker was a stripped 2wd soft-top (shown above when it was shot for the cover of our Chilton repair manual). I got bored with it after a year or two and converted it to a 4wd and upgraded some things (top, stereo, wheels/tires etc.).

It was tough little vehicle. And actually I do think it warmed up pretty quick because it was so small.

But without A/C and with that soft top it was brutal (loud and uncomfortable) in the summer.

Back then I often thought about buying a hardtop 4-door for the better comfort.

Still it was fun.

I picked up the Wrangler 2 years ago and love it. It's been great. I'll take it out later in this storm to take the kids sledding!
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline mjptexas

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2018, 10:55:24 AM »
Heated grips are the way forward.  Not only do they work, but you can vary the temperature to wear thinner gloves when it isnt arctic as well. These here cost about 35 bucks, go on easy and work.  I have used them in too many DC winter commutes.  I wired in a rheostat for infinate adjustment, but it comes with a HI-LO switch.  Once you go electric, you never go back.  Heated grips are a must for everyone of my bikes (including the work bike)
The advantage electric gloves offer over heated grips is that the gloves keep the top of your hands warm.  Having said that I really like the convenience of grips.  They are great for shorter rides. 
Mike

'18 R Nine T Urban GS
'17 Griso
'16 XL1200 Roadster
'15 Monster 821
'14 Cali Custom
'14 Vespa GTS300 Super
'15 Vespa Primavera
'75 CB400F
'76 CB550F

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2018, 11:24:41 AM »
You can toughen up your hands by not wearing gloves during regular activities as the weather turns colder in the fall. I do this every year and it helps when I ride. it also helps to keep your hands moving, its about the blood flow. it helps to wear a heated vest, to keep your core temp up so that you don't start shutting off blood flow to the extremities to keep your core temp up. my apologies if someone already posted this, I didn't read them all
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Online Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2018, 03:10:03 PM »
the real problem is everybody has a completely different tolerance for cold.
when we lived in N. Mn. and the UP of Michigan my wife rode in 30 degree weather with nothing more than a blouse and an unlined leather jacket while bitching she was too hot. meanwhile I had on the Gerbing jacket liner cranked 3/4 of the way up and an insulated leather jacket and was barely warm.
every bike i own has electric grips. way too many times it's been mid 70's one day and 18-30 in the am when I walk out of the motel. In the winter I keep the Gerbing electric gloves in the saddle bags just in case. most days a pair of normal gauntlet style leather gloves with a $1. pair of brown cotton loves is enough with the grips on 50%.
those new glove liners if thin enough might work well too. One thing to watch for with gloves is don't crank them to high. lower the temp before getting too hot or you will sweat starting a whole nother problem.
Oh and FYI a $10. Walmart nylon windbreaker over the jacket liner ads about 30-50% to the warmth factor by stopping all wind.
And Kev in So. Az So of Tucson it's not uncommon to leave at 9am and have it be 25-32 F. But it's sunny and should be 60-65 by noon with about 2% humidity. great ridding.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2018, 04:04:22 PM »

And Kev in So. Az So of Tucson it's not uncommon to leave at 9am and have it be 25-32 F. But it's sunny and should be 60-65 by noon with about 2% humidity. great ridding.
Oh I've spent some time all along the southwest, especially around Scottsdale/Fountain Hills ... I can handle a frozen morning if I knew it would warm that day!

Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Bucky

• New Egg
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2018, 04:31:54 PM »
1. Heated Gloves...I have Gerbing
2. Heated Grips
3. Aerostich Triples....I was amazed at how much they helped with wind and air insulation.
                               Learned this just putting them over regular gloves in cold weather when heated         
                               grips  weren't keeping up.

My Gerbing gear is 20 years old and still works great. Had one issue with a section of the jacket not getting up to temp. They fixed it free. Apparently guaranteed for life...
1973 Eldorado

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2018, 05:01:51 PM »
1. Heated Gloves...I have Gerbing
2. Heated Grips
3. Aerostich Triples....I was amazed at how much they helped with wind and air insulation.
                               Learned this just putting them over regular gloves in cold weather when heated         
                               grips  weren't keeping up.

My Gerbing gear is 20 years old and still works great. Had one issue with a section of the jacket not getting up to temp. They fixed it free. Apparently guaranteed for life...

That was the old Gerbings company.   They've now changed hands.   The lifetime warranty on my Gerbings heated gloves was useless when one of them failed, because they were an eBay purchase, and I didn't have a proof of purchase.

I will never buy Gerbings products ever again.

First Gear brand labels Warm-n-safe products.   When my Gearbings gloves failed, I bought First Gear gloves and have been very happy with them.  When one channel of the Gerbings two channel heat controller failed, I replaced it with a First Gear one -- been working great for the three seasons that I've had it.    I also have a pair of First Gear heated socks that work great.a
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2018, 10:53:25 PM »
I am a big fan of Hippo Hands.  Or customized Clorox bottles.  Don�t let their looks create an impedance to happy riding.

I am �currently� running both an electric vest and gloves.   Shockingly enough, this set up is fine down to about 25 degrees.   

We recently had barbarically cold weather, forcing me to ride 50 miles one way to work at 17 degrees (100 miles full circuit).  If you really want to step-up your protection, then I�ll say that covering the heated gloves with rubber insulating waterproof over-mitts really increases the potential. 

A lot of this is mental.   While riding in bitter cold, I just keep chanting �Ohm,� and I try to focus on the fact that if it is really nasty cold outside, the coffee will taste so much better when I arrive.

On the other hand, some people lack the capacity to appreciate that sentiment or otherwise resist my logic.  They think I�m crazy,  but I say I�m well grounded. 

Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2018, 08:32:45 AM »
  Or you could only ride indoors on cold days.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/motorcycle-arcade-game
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 08:34:10 AM by Sasquatch Jim »
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Online egschade

• Gaggle Hero
  • Eric - MGNOC NJ Rep - mgnocnj.forumotion.com
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2018, 08:55:06 AM »
Short of electric gloves (pun intended), I do OK with hand guards, glove liners and on really cold days, hand-warmer packs. Remember, the hand warmers go on the back of your hand (or top of your feet) between the liner and glove. Blood flows from the back of your hand to the palm, which is why heated grips aren't terribly effective for keeping hands warm.
The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Offline lorengo70

• New Egg
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2018, 02:14:45 PM »
I have been using these oxford removable grips (they use velcro to wrap around existing grips). Easy to install, can easily be put on and off the bike and can get very hot and are not expensive.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/oxford-hot-hands-heated-grips

so far so good. They are small enough that i can take them on my tank bag and install them in 1 minute on the side of the road if my hands get cold during my ride.
2016 V7 II Stone (Black)
2015 Suzuki TU250

Offline TimmyTheHog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2018, 02:27:43 PM »
I have been using these oxford removable grips (they use velcro to wrap around existing grips). Easy to install, can easily be put on and off the bike and can get very hot and are not expensive.

so far so good. They are small enough that i can take them on my tank bag and install them in 1 minute on the side of the road if my hands get cold during my ride.

What does these guys eat for power? portable batteries?

and are the additional paddings thick?...I got small hands so might pose a grip issue if too thick :P
Life isn't WHAT IS at the end.
It is HOW and WHAT you are doing to get there.

03 Honda Shadow Spirit - The Purple Beast (SOLD)
15 Guzz V7 Stone - The Red Chick (SOLD)
18 BMW R1200GS Rallye - The Blue Streak (SOLD)

Currently Bikeless...*cry*

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2018, 05:23:15 PM »

Interesting.... How are they wired?
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

bpreynolds

« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2018, 06:44:42 PM »
Just finished a 120 mile ride today using Gerbing’s gloves, liner, pants liner, and socks even.  Temps were about 17-22F.  Man I love heated gear. 

Offline lorengo70

• New Egg
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2018, 10:59:34 AM »
Interesting.... How are they wired?
They are wired through the battery. They draw less than 30 watts if I remember correctly. Cable goes from battery to the handle bars (very easy to install and to hide the wiring under gas tank side) and it has a quick release attachment for each heated grip. It comes with simple switch that I attach to the handle bar to turn the power on or off  (it  doesn't have different levels of heat, just on or off and that has been one of the complaints some people have because the grips can get quite hot but has not been a problem for me at all).  In the summer I remove the switch (but keep the pig tail connection on the battery and the wiring that goes towards the handle bar. For the price, they do a very good job and provide enough heat even to go through my thick winter riding gloves.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

2016 V7 II Stone (Black)
2015 Suzuki TU250

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2018, 11:32:48 AM »
They are wired through the battery. They draw less than 30 watts if I remember correctly. Cable goes from battery to the handle bars (very easy to install and to hide the wiring under gas tank side) and it has a quick release attachment for each heated grip. It comes with simple switch that I attach to the handle bar to turn the power on or off  (it  doesn't have different levels of heat, just on or off and that has been one of the complaints some people have because the grips can get quite hot but has not been a problem for me at all).  In the summer I remove the switch (but keep the pig tail connection on the battery and the wiring that goes towards the handle bar. For the price, they do a very good job and provide enough heat even to go through my thick winter riding gloves.

Thanks!
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2018, 09:37:39 PM »
Thanks!
Sounds like a must for southern Jersey;)

Offline TimmyTheHog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2018, 09:39:37 PM »

Sounds like the best of 2 worlds without having to deal with the handlebar  :thumb:
Life isn't WHAT IS at the end.
It is HOW and WHAT you are doing to get there.

03 Honda Shadow Spirit - The Purple Beast (SOLD)
15 Guzz V7 Stone - The Red Chick (SOLD)
18 BMW R1200GS Rallye - The Blue Streak (SOLD)

Currently Bikeless...*cry*

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2018, 09:40:22 PM »
Sounds like a must for southern Jersey;)
Only if I take my bike instead of my Jeep with heated seats!!! [emoji6]
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2018, 11:17:59 PM »
Only if I take my bike instead of my Jeep with heated seats!!! [emoji6]

Now that you mention it, a heated motorcycle seat sounds desirable !
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2018, 06:56:08 AM »

Now that you mention it, a heated motorcycle seat sounds desirable !
I believe BMW, Harley, and Corbin all make such things.... Maybe Sargent too, I forget.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2018, 02:55:00 PM »
I believe BMW, Harley, and Corbin all make such things.... Maybe Sargent too, I forget.

Yes, Sargent does as well.
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here