Author Topic: bicycle for 60 year old, and health issues  (Read 19030 times)

Offline wrbix

• Gaggle Hero
Re: bicycle for 60 year old, and health issues
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2015, 05:24:07 PM »
Cool!

Another thought to get some AC'd pedaling in on your new bike in the summertime is to get a set of rollers for use with your new ride. Keeps the bike in action, cheaper than a full stationary bike setup, and I'll almost guarantee nothing trains you to a smooth course/cadence like rollers. Once you get used to it, it's as easy as it looks IYKWIM.
Bill in VA, sometimes FL

"Eschew aphorism"

LeMans IV - "Giulia"
Lario - "Giulietta"
V50III cafe'd - "Leggera"
‘77 Convert - “Sofia”
BMW airheads: R100RS, R100CS, R100GS, R100RT, R60/2 sidecar rig
Classic Mini
‘60 Austin Healey Sprite
Caterham Super Seven Sprint
‘13 Audi TTRS
Grumman AA5B (sold)

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2015, 05:53:45 PM »
Cool!

Another thought to get some AC'd pedaling in on your new bike in the summertime is to get a set of rollers for use with your new ride. Keeps the bike in action, cheaper than a full stationary bike setup, and I'll almost guarantee nothing trains you to a smooth course/cadence like rollers. Once you get used to it, it's as easy as it looks IYKWIM.

Just sayin.. but I blew out a knee with rollers in a cold garage. You have to go fast from the get go. Yep, they'll train you to be smooth all right.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Tobit

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2015, 06:04:20 PM »

Pretty thing. Bikes have changed a lot since the last time I bought one in 1984.

That's the year I bought my Lotus I mentioned earlier.  Yes things have changed, like night and day.  Nice bike you got there, congrats.  By the way, that Kona pictured above is a fine piece too.

Now you'll need a bike stand! 

Tobit.
Roman, '86 LM IV

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2015, 06:10:49 PM »
Cool! Just don't get too weenied out by the racers, have fun, and when in doubt use an easier gear (at least for now).

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2015, 06:10:49 PM »

lucydad

« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2015, 06:16:12 PM »
Andy,

I had my hernia operation just before Thanksgiving.  Dr. Sawbones said no lifting or strenuous stuff for at least a month.  Felt a lot better after first week and 3 weeks later pretty much normal.  Started light workouts Christmas week and took the Guzzi for a ride just after Christmas.  Here it is 2 months after surgery and I feel just fine, and figured out having all the plumbing in the right spot is a very good thing.

Yeah I will let my body adjust to riding a bicycle.  Forget the racers and such, I will build up strength and endurance with time.  Good time of year to do it, not so brutally hot.   

Thanks for interest and advice, I will give updates and get an in action picture sometime this weekend. 

I think bicycle riding and motorcycle riding will be complementary.  Increased core strength from bicycle = longer motorcycle rides.   ;D
And the healthier I am the longer I can ride both types of machines. 

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2015, 07:33:04 PM »
Here's your pedals you can do it yourself with an 8mm allen and 15 mm wrench.  Just remember there's a left threaded pedal and a right threaded pedal.  my youngest son ruined two sets of cranks using brute force and not paying attention to pedal threads

There are other models that are cheaper but they also have cheaper bearings.

Looks painful for barefoot riding.
 My problem is that as the crank goes round it comes up behind the foot and when it touches the heel it lifts my foot off the pedal. Both sides do this.
 Poking around on the internet under velocipedes I began looking for pedal-less bicycles.  I found this.

So instead of buying one I will just take the pedals off mine and give it a try for free.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 07:34:54 PM by Sasquatch Jim »
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

lucydad

« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2015, 01:23:44 PM »
All,

First ride picture, picked it up today:

Rode about 7 miles on local trails and Memorial Park.  Love the bike!  Rolling resistance much less than old TREK mountain bike.
Excellent disc brakes, smooth shifting and superb fit.  Body knows it had a workout, but no pain anywhere.  Did not wear the gel seat shorts since it was fairly chilly 53F or so.  Got it pretty dirty, so that is a good sign.  Goal is to ride it after work since I can't get myself to do cardio at the gym much anymore.

Fun!  Poodles approve, but bicycle riding may cut into their daily fast walk.

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2015, 01:40:39 PM »
When I was a young lad of 60 I could still ride a bike.
 I am trying to now but my feet keep falling off the pedals, I have no muscle control below the knees
 and the feet flop where ever they want.  In am going to a bicycle shop today to see if I can get some
 longer pedals.  I can't use the ones that snap onto the shoe because with no muscle control I would not
 be able to unsnap if I began to fall.
 They say once you learn to ride va bike you never forget.  They lie! The muscles of my lower legs have forgotten
 but  I am working on it.

Yo jim.. there are not a lot of 'big' pedals on the market.. Perhaps visit not a bike shop but a fitness store and look at the broad rubber pedals used on stationary bikes.. they are often oversized

If you dont want to clip-in.. you may also look at these straps
http://www.bikebling.com/Power-Grips-Standard-295mm-p/powergrips-pg-pgk.htm?gclid=CNqxs9CwrcMCFdgvgQodoFkAsw&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc_feed&utm_campaign=comparison_shopping_feeds

they are easier to use than standard toe clips and can bee set up loose.
You would need enough control to insert your foot and twist slightly
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2015, 02:13:51 PM »
Hey, LD,
Does it rain there? Fenders make the bike very useful. Plus a way to carry items from the market. It can be a viable alternative for trips in a decent radius.

Offline AMGeneral

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2015, 02:50:00 PM »
Congrats on the new bike!

I fell in love with the newer fat bikes. Got a 2011 Salsa Mukluk and haven't looked back.

After awhile you will start riding for the adventure. Pick a destination you want to go to and just go. Finish the trip and wow the feeling is great. Then you plan longer trips. Little steps. Nothing big right away just stay in your comfort. You will know.

Keep your bike shop happy and they will keep you happy with a bike that works well.

Have fun!
Rod
2000 Jackal 62,900

Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

"Just think how stupid the average person is,
and then realize that half of them
are even stupider!"
--George Carlin

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2015, 04:45:22 PM »
You know, I'm a semi-serious rider from way back. I commuted to work by bike for many years (including a route from Friendswood to my office on Park Place Blvd) and did a bit of racing. I was very excited to respond to this post, but after reading the input you received from my esteemed Wildguzzi friends I find I have nothing of value to add. Great job, all!
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2015, 06:48:28 PM »
It's good to hear you like the bike and you had a good ride. 

If you find you want the padded shorts but it's cold, you can wear them under the long pants.  Another option is padded long riding pants (tights).  When it's in the 30s out and I'm riding on the road, I wear shorts under tights just to keep my naughty bits warm.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

lucydad

« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2015, 08:33:19 PM »
3Jim,

I will remember your comment on the gel shorts under jeans, makes sense, I did not think of that concept, thanks.

You know buying this bike brought back some memories of jr. high and such. Around 1967 my brother bought a black Honda S90.  At the time I was too young to ride and had a red Schwinn Varsity.  Loved that bike, cost $72.05 that I earned myself and bought from Crawley's sporting goods around 1965.  Remember my brother riding his cool S90 into the front yard and park next to my Varsity.  Man was I jealous.  That fast and slick Honda made my Varsity so obsolete and small.

A few years later I got a Honda MT 50 in yellow, then at 16 was old enough for my own motorcycle:  A Honda Scrambler 175.  Damn fine motorcycle.

I have had a love affair with anything on 2 wheels since about 1963 when Shirley Snooks taught me to ride her Schwinn Typhoon.  My parents couldn't find the time and she was a neighborhood pal (and still know her). 

Tonight I ponder the differences between a motorcycle, and a bicycle.  Both are sublime in their own ways.  Yet a motorcycle requires such more skill and may I venture courage to ride.  Speed and weight and technique and vigilance are so critical with a motorcycle at speed.  Not to take away from bicycle racers, and such, but every day bicycle riding is very relaxed by comparison when I fire up the V7R and go down the Houston freeway at 80 mph with the cagers.

Interestingly the bicycle shop owner is quite interested in motorcycles and chatted me up with questions. I told him I would swing by with Little Goose some day and let him see the Italian masterpiece from Mandello.  Who knows I may get him on a different set of 2 wheels?  We are all missionaries.

The Cannondale will be very good for my body though.  Come spring and longer rides for meet ups I think my body will be able to handle a 200 mile day on the V7R. And why?   Partly better cold weather gear (Aerostich leathers), partly better motorcycle riding posture, and partly body strength from riding the bicycle.

So yeah there it is on a Saturday night after a wonderful home grilled steak, wine, spud, squash and a bit of artisinal gin and cheesecake.

Poodles say good night and sweet dreams.

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2015, 08:58:55 PM »
 Toe clips and straps won't work for me.  They require you to pedal from the ball of the foot, I can't do that.
 I have no muscle control below the knees.  I am removing the pedal crank from the machine and will use it as a two wheel walker
 as shown in the photo I posted.  I won't go as fast but will still get some exercise for parts that otherwise don't get used.
 I just need some cane brackets for carrying my stick.

Offline Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2015, 09:40:35 PM »
the wifey bought me a Nashbar AT1 29er for my birthday last year.
It's a great bike, especially for the money.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 09:44:28 PM by Turin »
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2015, 09:47:00 PM »
Serious racing on a bicycle is about as exciting as racing anything else. I'm sure there will be other voices describing a fast descent on a twisty mountain road or the bell lap of a crit..

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2015, 04:16:48 AM »
Toe clips and straps won't work for me.  They require you to pedal from the ball of the foot, I can't do that.
 I have no muscle control below the knees.  I am removing the pedal crank from the machine and will use it as a two wheel walker
 as shown in the photo I posted.  I won't go as fast but will still get some exercise for parts that otherwise don't get used.
 I just need some cane brackets for carrying my stick.

SJ - is the objective to exercise your legs or get out on a bike? If the latter have you considered a hand cranked bike?

2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2015, 08:13:16 AM »
Serious racing on a bicycle is about as exciting as racing anything else. I'm sure there will be other voices describing a fast descent on a twisty mountain road or the bell lap of a crit..

Ha, yes, I raced a bit and you're right, it was often scary.  I was in a couple crashes and one was on a slight downslope sprint to the finish.  In the '70s, bicycle racers typically wore silly leather strap helmets that did nothing except hold their hair in place.  The only alternatives were hockey helmets and MSR mountain climbing helmets.  I had a CCM hockey helmet on, and when the guy in front of me went down at something near 40 mph and took me with him, I almost slid across the finish line.  I remember the medics on duty ignoring me and helping the guys who couldn't answer when asked their names.

The part of bicycling that scares me now is the difference in speed between me and motor vehicles, and the high percentage of drivers I see who have cell phones glued to their ears.  When I mentioned motorcycling to a friend I've done a lot of bicycling with and he commented about it being the most dangerous possible form of transportation, I pointed out that I'm traveling at the speed of other motor vehicles and there's a lot less chance of being hit by one.  He understood immediately and even rented a scooter on a recent vacation.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline Randown

• Long Beach, CA
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2015, 12:44:24 PM »
Congrats on the bike LD  ;-T. I started in May, needed cardio b/c I quit running due to foot problems, lost a little weight & developed glutes, sold all my suspenders & wear a form fitted kit now! I love going out in public wearing lycra & no underwear, is that weird? Feet are more manageable now so last week I signed up for a triathlon in August. Out of character b/c I'm not a fitness buff but the bike helped me push through some limits.

Picture taken today on a 20 mile run avg 20.13 mph over 12.88 miles on the bike path... I'm catching up to you Jim  ;D.

Flippity Floppity Floop

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2015, 02:04:27 PM »
Picture taken today on a 20 mile run avg 20.13 mph over 12.88 miles on the bike path... I'm catching up to you Jim  ;D.

If you did 20 miles and averaged 20.13 mph, you've done caught up.  Better get some rest though, you look a little blurry.   :)

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2015, 02:58:43 PM »
  Yes I have been looking at hand cranked devices and might get one, but it is my lower legs that desperately need help
  so I will opt for a walking bike for now.  I just need the bars a little higher and a non painful saddle.  I am removing the derailleur and pedal crank now.
  It already has disc brakes so I should be able to keep the speed below ticket levels.

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2015, 04:44:07 PM »
It took me some time to get used to the saddle, It started painfull too. But now even when I didn't use it a time, no problem anymore. The racebike bar makes that you have a lot of positions you can use, the higher bars mostly have only one position for your hands
Paul

Daytona 1225, Stelvio 1151

Download Guzzidiag here: http://www.von-der-salierburg.de/download/GuzziDiag/

Offline Randown

• Long Beach, CA
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2015, 08:44:17 AM »
Speaking as a new cyclist myself, the seat is one of the first :o eye opening issues to get through. After the initial shock my seat was tolerable & I ran it for months but became convinced I could do better.

Someone on WG mentioned Specialized brand seats & I found indeed they have a large following, I use a Roubidoux, it has the channel cut out to help relieve pressure on your perineum as do many now, I also hear the Romin has become a favorite.

Anyway, hopefully the stock seat will work out but if it don't there is a seat out there for you.
Flippity Floppity Floop

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2015, 09:04:02 AM »
A treated and well broken-in Brooks B17 is the only saddle that works for me.
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here