Author Topic: Beaten by a F***ing Tire!  (Read 5427 times)

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Beaten by a F***ing Tire!
« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2021, 03:23:23 PM »
I've used air pressures up to 90# before.  Most times a bead will be set at lower air pressure.  DEPENDS on the tire maker and how old the tire is.  The race of the people making the tires doesn't make a difference.  It's the company making them. 

In the past I've different results from American, German and Italian. 
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

oldbike54

« Reply #61 on: April 11, 2021, 03:30:14 PM »
I've used air pressures up to 90# before.  Most times a bead will be set at lower air pressure.  DEPENDS on the tire maker and how old the tire is.  The race of the people making the tires doesn't make a difference.  It's the company making them. 

In the past I've different results from American, German and Italian.

Agree , and I have used 90 PSI also , but haven't ever had a tyre that measured small and won't insult someone for not wanting to use extreme pressure .

Dusty

Online lazlokovacs

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #62 on: April 11, 2021, 04:22:41 PM »
OP glad you got it sorted,

I also had a pirelli once that was an absolute pig to seat.... about 5 years ago IIRC

didnt think to check its country of origin at the time, maybe their quality control is dropping? Anyone else have problems with Pirelli?

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2021, 07:54:21 PM »
in the interests of returning this thread to the polite world of real world useful information, can we all admit to using a hacksaw or a chainsaw to remove a stubborn tire when we hit the wall?

"Works a treat!" as the Brits like to say!

Ox acetylene torch?  Now that's a bit extreme!
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2021, 07:54:21 PM »

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #64 on: April 11, 2021, 08:00:17 PM »
Boy, you guys really ran the line out on this one😄. While it’s only a guess, l think the slightly undersized tire was catching but good on the spoke nipples in the drop center. And no amount of air pressure my compressor could generate would budge it. The Griso rim spokes are sealed with o-rings as most of you know, making for a very rough drop center.  Basically acting like so many fish hooks on the tire bead. I suspect the tire bead would have seated easier on a cast rim. The Avon bead seated “normally” with 60 psi.  That 1/4 inch more room made all the difference.

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2021, 08:55:05 PM »
in the interests of returning this thread to the polite world of real world useful information, can we all admit to using a hacksaw or a chainsaw to remove a stubborn tire when we hit the wall?

"Works a treat!" as the Brits like to say!

Ox acetylene torch?  Now that's a bit extreme!

I brought in the wheels from my old G5 to a local guy who was set up professionally with a top of the line No Mar machine with all the fancy tools; he was very well known and an expert at his trade, all he did was motorcycle tires.

The tires on the G5 Borrani soft aluminum wheels, looked brand new, still had the little mold nipples on the tread, but the date code was 40 years old. Those tires were so old and stiff, he wasn't budging them a bit.

He wasn't the cursing type thankfully, but he worked up a powerful sweat, he was totally drenched  :grin: he ended up cutting the tires off using a combination of air grinder cut off wheels and big heavy metal snips  :thewife:  :violent1:

He retired from the business very shortly after that experience with my old tires, lol :evil:
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 08:56:38 PM by 80CX100 »
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100
1979 G5 & 1980 Lemans CX100
2010 Suzuki DR650 & 1978 SR500

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell

oldbike54

« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2021, 08:56:19 PM »
 Sawzall .

Dusty

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #67 on: April 11, 2021, 09:44:49 PM »
The incident I’m going to tell y’all about is in no way pro or con to anyone’s believes on the subject of air pressure to get a tire to “pop out” or seat.
I worked at a tire shop for several years when I was in high school. I’ll never forget an incident that occurred at the shop one day when a buddy and fellow worker was attempting to get a tire to seat, or pop out, if preferred term, on a Craiger aluminum mag wheel, on a 1967 Ford Mustang fastback. Tommy, the guys name, cautiously kept adding a couple pounds at a time. I’ll never forget the number when the wheel failed. We were all standing back and offering moral support when it happened at 86 LBs. when it blew. Tommy hit the floor like he had been shot and when he stood up it was immediately obvious he was hurt.
Long story short, he suffered permanent damage to his face, left eye and hearing loss in both ears.
I guess I’m trying to tell anyone who is willing to listen this. Any time you have to use over 50-60 pounds of air to seat a tire, start using caution and take every preventing measurement possible. A tire cage preferably and position your hand out of harms way.
Just an olds guys over caution maybe.

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
« Reply #68 on: April 11, 2021, 10:09:19 PM »
The incident I’m going to tell y’all about is in no way pro or con to anyone’s believes on the subject of air pressure to get a tire to “pop out” or seat.
I worked at a tire shop for several years when I was in high school. I’ll never forget an incident that occurred at the shop one day when a buddy and fellow worker was attempting to get a tire to seat, or pop out, if preferred term, on a Craiger aluminum mag wheel, on a 1967 Ford Mustang fastback. Tommy, the guys name, cautiously kept adding a couple pounds at a time. I’ll never forget the number when the wheel failed. We were all standing back and offering moral support when it happened at 86 LBs. when it blew. Tommy hit the floor like he had been shot and when he stood up it was immediately obvious he was hurt.
Long story short, he suffered permanent damage to his face, left eye and hearing loss in both ears.
I guess I’m trying to tell anyone who is willing to listen this. Any time you have to use over 50-60 pounds of air to seat a tire, start using caution and take every preventing measurement possible. A tire cage preferably and position your hand out of harms way.
Just an olds guys over caution maybe.

Amen.  and the tire does not have to leave the rim to be dangerous.  I have a friend who almost got killed when the bottom of the ATV tire he was changing popped out sending the tire and wheel upwards like a rocket.  After almost decapitating him, the tire/wheel assembly bounced off the ceiling of his garage.

We used to sometimes wrap chains around the split rim/tire in case the locking ring came off.  The chain trick would not have helped my friend.  The chain merely would have been part of the tire/wheel projectile.
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #69 on: April 11, 2021, 10:23:46 PM »
Amen.  and the tire does not have to leave the rim to be dangerous.  I have a friend who almost got killed when the bottom of the ATV tire he was changing popped out sending the tire and wheel upwards like a rocket.  After almost decapitating him, the tire/wheel assembly bounced off the ceiling of his garage.

We used to sometimes wrap chains around the split rim/tire in case the locking ring came off.  The chain trick would not have helped my friend.  The chain merely would have been part of the tire/wheel projectile.
Yes sir Sir Ed. The tire cage became a government mandate in tire shops due to several deaths due to that D@€£ split rim decapitating more than one worker!

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #70 on: April 11, 2021, 10:25:25 PM »
Words you really don't want to hear in many contexts: "Crap, that never happened before!"

Rich A

Offline TN Mark

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #71 on: April 11, 2021, 10:33:22 PM »
The shop that mounted a run flat car tire on my rear wheel said: ‘it fought us a bit’. The sidewalls of a run flat car tire are a bit stout.

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #72 on: April 12, 2021, 08:13:46 AM »
HA !  We've had some of those "stubborn" tires.  The ones that give me the most trouble are the tubeless MT90 (130/90 x 16)  frickin' four-ply bias sidewall.  Being that skinny, ya'd think they would be happy.  They're not.  Dang beads won't seat !

The first thing to do is get a tire, and then go and get the $9.99 galactic standard hair dryer at WalMart.  Alternatively, you can use your wife's hair dryer - at your own risk.

You're gonna need a temperature thingy.
These cheap meat thermometers aren't all that accurate, but it's fun to watch the temperature go up up up - just the same.

Then make a custom tire oven out of a couple of cardboard box.
Add a some small blocks to get the tire up off of the workbench and to get some airflow.
Cut a hole in the top and insert the hair dryer. 

Bake at 130/140 for half an hour, or until wife wants to know "what's burning"

In the summer, we just lay them on the asphalt driveway and then turn them a couple of times.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 08:16:55 AM by kballowe »

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #73 on: April 12, 2021, 12:51:00 PM »
I like it.   :thumb:  Ditto on the narrow bias ply tires.   Had similar problems with seating the beads on shitty American tires (Firestone & Goodyear).  Must have been the formula for those tires.  They must have been using the same ingredients as their car tires.  I had a bad German Continental tire and a number of lousy Italian Pirellis too. 

A lot soapy water, ratchet tie down and a dead blow plastic hammer always helps with sufficient air pressure.  I usually leave them in the sun too.  We're about 190 miles southeast of Honolulu.  The lowest air temp at the house is 72F almost always.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero

oldbike54

« Reply #75 on: April 12, 2021, 06:57:20 PM »

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #76 on: April 12, 2021, 07:02:43 PM »
Must be true it's on the internet.   :grin: :grin: :grin:  🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

https://www.bing.com/search?q=texarkana+arizona&cvid=71c151346e534c86abaa82bb475fc008&aqs=edge.0.0l2.12776j0j4&FORM=ANAB01&PC=U531

Images of Texarkana Arizona
bing.com/images
Image result for Texarkana Arizona. Size: 193 x 159. Source: ca.wikipedia.org

Image result for Texarkana Arizona. Size: 194 x 160. Source: txktoday.com
Image result for Texarkana Arizona. Size: 277 x 160. Source: txktoday.com
Image result for Texarkana Arizona. Size: 224 x 160. Source: www.istockphoto.com

See all
See all images
Texarkana United States | The 10 Best Hotels
https://www.tripadvisor.com
AdCompare Prices & Save Money With Tripadvisor (The World's Largest Travel Site). Tripadvisor Checks Up To 200 Sites To Help You Find The Lowest Prices.

tripadvisor.com has been visited by 100K+ users in the past month

Millions of hotel reviews · Candid traveller photos · Easy price comparison

Hotels - From $37.00/night · Hotels with a Pool - From $38.00/night

Best Cabins in Arizona | Cabins Up to 75% Off Now
https://www.hometogo.com/arizona/cabins
196,400+ followers on Facebook
AdCompare the Best Cabins in Arizona from the Largest Selection. Book the Perfect Cabin in Arizona with up to 75% Discount!

"Travel website to watch in 2017" – Express
Maricopa County - From $77.00/day · Yavapai County - From $88.00/day

Related searches for texarkana arizona
lake texarkana state park
things to do in texarkana
texarkana tourist attractions
lake texarkana resorts
texarkana lake campgrounds

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here