Author Topic: Mid Air crash  (Read 888 times)

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Online acogoff

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Mid Air crash
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2021, 02:05:09 PM »
    Blancolirio has a good presentation and pictures also on his utube channel. Seems the Cirrus pilot over shot his flight pathe to the right runway and flew into the Metroliner that was on final approach to a parallel left runway. All 3 people are lucky to be alive.
'77850t3FB Owned since it was new
Marshall County Minnesota USA

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2021, 05:06:51 PM »
Those Metro Liners are pretty tough.  My section had support for a fleet of them (before I retired). 

Sometimes called the Swearingen Sewer Pipe.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2021, 05:40:03 PM »
You know.. they used to call Bonanzas "Fork tailed Doctor killers." Really fast, really expensive. Of course, Doctors are smarter than anyone else and can't be bothered to listen to a lesser individual that teaches people how to fly.  :rolleyes: They have plenty of money, though, and can buy one. The Cirrus is the new Bonanza..
Way to go Swearingen driver.. :thumb:
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 05:46:38 PM by Chuck in Indiana »
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2021, 05:40:03 PM »

Offline kirby1923

• Gaggle Mentor
  • '81 CX100
  • Location: SoCal (rural) near Tehachapi CA, Rogers AR when in the states other times GMT+1 thu +6
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2021, 05:52:09 PM »
Similar to "war" time damage, good thing he was slow and configuring for a landing or control problems would have most likely been problematic (read maybe fatal, not to mention structural failure. At least the controls run down the middle is the bottom of the fuselage.

We used to call the Swearingen Metros "weed eaters" 'cause of the constant speed engines made similar sounds to the weed eater on the ground.

At least the Cirrus as a ballistic parachute system (required equipment for MDs') Good thing he remembered how to use it.

Guess that adds new meaning to "any landing you can walk away from".

Remarkable little damage to the front of the Cirrus though.

Hope the Cirrus  pilot went and bought a lottery ticket, I'd say luck was with him ....
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 05:55:20 PM by kirby1923 »
'81 CX100

A calm and modest life brings more happiness than the constant pursuit of success combined with constant restlessness.. Einstein,A

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2021, 07:00:31 PM »
Mike (kirby1923) maybe you can explain how this B-17 got down as the one I rode in appeared to have all the controls cables running along the ceiling of the fuselage.

GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2021, 07:05:15 PM »
You know.. they used to call Bonanzas "Fork tailed Doctor killers." Really fast, really expensive. Of course, Doctors are smarter than anyone else and can't be bothered to listen to a lesser individual that teaches people how to fly.  :rolleyes: They have plenty of money, though, and can buy one. The Cirrus is the new Bonanza..

I'm guessing Chuck the Rudder and Elevator control cables run through the sub floor area on the Swearingen:)

Ciao
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room.

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2021, 09:23:51 PM »
 :rolleyes:

@Chuck, yes, indeed :grin: Last Saturday, I check ASOS inbound, wind strongly favors Runway 14, Piper Pacer on the upwind departing 14, I set up on a 45 for 14. You know the rest, Cirrus flight of three departs 32 for some kind of formation practice.  I extend downwind to stay out of their way and land on 14 with wind from 18 :rolleyes:  Then an hour later I check ASOS again, taxi out with 10 kt wind still from 18, Cirrus flight inbound for the overhead, 32. Someone advises “wind favors 14”, C172 calls downwind abeam 14 but that makes no difference, response indicates they can’t understand a compass.  I depart on 14, make an early turnout, stay low and get the heck out of there before they hit me.

The problem with stereotypes is that they’re so often true, as in the case of this midair and its cause. Glad the Metroliner pilot was unscathed, glad the Cirrus had a parachute to save an idiot from himself.  He was apparently doing 140 kts groundspeed on downwind, faster on base, hence the massive overshoot.  Basic skills missing, autopilot apparently can’t do pattern work.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 09:38:04 PM by Tusayan »

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2021, 09:24:19 PM »
I'm surprised the Metroliner is still in use.  Single-pilot no less!  Those things are pretty old now. Haven't seen an airworthy one in years.  "San Antonio Sewer pipe" , "Weed-eater"...lots of not very flattering names. Air Midwest had a huge fleet of them back in the 1970's and 80's.  But the tail stayed on that one when the chips were down, I'll give em that much.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 09:26:15 PM by Motormike »

Offline kirby1923

• Gaggle Mentor
  • '81 CX100
  • Location: SoCal (rural) near Tehachapi CA, Rogers AR when in the states other times GMT+1 thu +6
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2021, 07:08:27 AM »
Mike (kirby1923) maybe you can explain how this B-17 got down as the one I rode in appeared to have all the controls cables running along the ceiling of the fuselage.

GliderJohn

I have witnessed damage like that back in VN and at first sight you wonder how the crew (or pilot) survived and lived to fly another day.

The cables or push pull rods in aircraft are sometimes routed up and down to meet certain needs or obstacles such as bomb bays as in the case of the B 17. The resolution of the picture (much published) of that aircraft is really too low to see all the details of the damage. There could easily be cables or rods that are just not showing in the image.

The crew had  bad luck at being struck,(by an enemy aircraft collision), for sure, but somehow luck was with them in the end....bravo!

Truly remarkable!

:-)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 09:09:34 AM by kirby1923 »
'81 CX100

A calm and modest life brings more happiness than the constant pursuit of success combined with constant restlessness.. Einstein,A

Offline wavedog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2021, 09:13:39 AM »
Airtractor 802, 200mph on down wind, turn base-final close in, a little flattening of the prop for a steep approach, just a touch more easy does it and three point and off the runway in no time. Or land long near where the loader is positioned. Still only takes a few hundred feet.

Those guys are very fortunate to be alive. A guy I know got mid-aired doing some ag-flying and is missing a kidney. The other aircrafts prop took it out. He is still alive and flying.

A mid-air was one of my biggest worries for my guys when I was chief pilot for a 135 operation. We flew remote uncontrolled fields which were generally safer than the lightly used controlled airfields. Some pilots (not the pro's) get in tower controlled airspace and shut off their brains. Kind of like people in cars on the interstate. Or commuters.

Some of my fave's were the summer time private pilots with the high powered singles like an A36, or a light twin, who would come barging in to the traffic pattern being a blowhard on the radio and expect everyone to get out of their way. A couple of them dudes would try to confront you on the ground. Now that was interesting.

Offline Stretch

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2021, 10:59:19 AM »
Both crews are very, very lucky.

Definitely pilot error there.

B-17s were very, very tough airplanes. Read the late Martin Caidin's books
"Black Thursday", and "Flying Forts." Many came home with unbelievable
battle damage, and a few made it across the English Channel on the strength of just
one Wright Cyclone screaming it's guts out, with a very nervous pilot delicately working
the controls.

-Stretch
1967? Change Jiang M1M
1978 Yamaha SR500
1987 BMW K75S
2011 Kawasaki KLR650
2011 Triumph Rocket III Touring
2015 Triumph Trophy
2017 Moto Guzzi 1400 California Touring

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here