Author Topic: Road Coffee ???  (Read 1507 times)

Offline Bigtime

• Hatchling
Re: Road Coffee ???
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2022, 05:31:11 PM »
I've heard good things about Black Rifle coffee but have never tried it. Wasn't the company started by veterans? I thought I had heard that.
kk
. Black Rifle coffee has a lot of blends to choose from. From light roast to their beyond black, it's a pricey but very enjoyable. Yes veteran owned and big supporters of our first responders and law enforcement.

Offline Gusable

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2022, 07:50:27 PM »
I stayed the weekend at a very affluent friends ranch home that had a 50,000 dollar kitchen. ( guessing that amount). Anyway I asked his lovely wife where the coffee maker was and she said “we don’t have one here”. I was devastated.  There’s no convienece store around the corner. She said I do have this… a Starbucks instant coffee powder packet.  I was like wth is this?? No self respecting coffee man could drink that.  I had no choice.  She also had an in-sink-er-ator brand hot water spigot on the marble counter top.  Never seen one.  Pushed the button and molten HELL WATER came out.  I mean HOT!!!! Put in the mars dust coffee mix and was blown away how good it was.  It must have been the heat.  It vaporized the bean powder.  I dunno.  It was good.  My daily brand is 8 o’clock Italian espresso roast

7-11 has good coffee. Love it
« Last Edit: November 20, 2022, 07:51:53 PM by Gusable »
1994 California 1100

Offline krglorioso

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2022, 09:30:45 PM »
Like Brian,  above, I am a coffee Luddite.  McDonald's senior decaf for an average of 80c is as good as I'll ever let myself be accustomed to.  In desperation, I may stop at a travel center (fancified truck stop) and pay double what McD's gets, but I try to limit such excesses.

Ralph
Ralph
"You don't stop riding because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding".

2004 Moto Guzzi Breva 750
2017 Honda CB-500F
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Offline 9fingers

• Gosling
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2022, 06:15:00 AM »
I was an overbearing coffee snob back in the 80's.  I got over myself.  :kiss:

I'm still an overbearing coffee snob...........ok maybe not so much overbearing. I actually had pretty good lobby coffee at the inn I stayed at on my Catskills trip a few weeks ago...I posted on this trip. But normally, unless I am in a somewhat developed area, finding really good coffee is nearly impossible. So I bring my travel jet boil type device and some Big Barn dark roast of Starbucks Italian roast that I have pre-ground before the trip, and I do a pour over or use my Aeropress. I bring those little half and half cups that I get from a diner along the way......either ask if I can take some or a pay for them. Good coffee is one of life's affordable and great luxuries.
Scott

Current bikes:
V7 III Special - Sophia
Royal Enfield Classic Chrome 500 Bullet - Guinevere
Suzuki V Strom 650 - Rita
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL250 custom
Honda TL125
Yamaha TY350

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2022, 06:15:00 AM »

Online SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2022, 06:40:56 AM »
Like Brian,  above, I am a coffee Luddite.  McDonald's senior decaf for an average of 80c is as good as I'll ever let myself be accustomed to.  In desperation, I may stop at a travel center (fancified truck stop) and pay double what McD's gets, but I try to limit such excesses.

Ralph

Amen.  McDonald's coffee tastes great to my wife and I.

Most Saturday mornings we treat ourselves to breakfast from McDonalds, Wendy's, Hardees, or Waffle House.  Occassionally, we go the full 24k route and go to IHop!

But I do enjoy hearing the opinions of coffee snobs, beer snobs, wine snobs, whiskey snobs, oil snobs, motorcycle snobs, clothing snobs, and snobs of all flavors, colors, and sizes!

It is amusing and I often learn a lot about a world I have not experienced!!!!  Gives me reasons to dream.....

Diversity is our strength!  SNOB ON!   :wink:
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Online SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2022, 06:45:15 AM »
I'm still an overbearing coffee snob...........ok maybe not so much overbearing. I actually had pretty good lobby coffee at the inn I stayed at on my Catskills trip a few weeks ago...I posted on this trip. But normally, unless I am in a somewhat developed area, finding really good coffee is nearly impossible. So I bring my travel jet boil type device and some Big Barn dark roast of Starbucks Italian roast that I have pre-ground before the trip, and I do a pour over or use my Aeropress. I bring those little half and half cups that I get from a diner along the way......either ask if I can take some or a pay for them. Good coffee is one of life's affordable and great luxuries.
Scott

Pre-ground coffee beans?

I thought the hard core snob types had a bare footed virgin stomp on their coffee beans! 

Real Italian wine drinkers and coffee drinkers everywhere are offended!   :wink:
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline pressureangle

• Gaggle Mentor
  • '97 1100 Sport i, '89 Mille GT
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2022, 09:04:54 AM »
I've heard good things about Black Rifle coffee but have never tried it. Wasn't the company started by veterans? I thought I had heard that.
kk

Black Rifle is good coffee. We switched to Death Wish coffee, and it's as good or better and (insert absence of politics here)
Something wistful and amusing, yet poignant.

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2022, 02:58:22 PM »
 A few years ago, some journalism types did a big survey/taste test on the best coffee served in the country.  As I recall, some national gas station coffee was deemed number one (Quick Trip, maybe?) McDonalds was second and Dunkin Donuts was close behind.  I love good black coffee, but have found I can only drink McDonalds, Dunkin Donuts, and Waffle House coffee black.  Everything else, including what I try to make at home, requires me to add coffee creamer to make it tolerable.  I love a good Latte or Capuchino, but can't stand any of Starbucks straight coffees, too bitter. 

Offline 9fingers

• Gosling
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2022, 04:34:56 PM »
A few years ago, some journalism types did a big survey/taste test on the best coffee served in the country.  As I recall, some national gas station coffee was deemed number one (Quick Trip, maybe?) McDonalds was second and Dunkin Donuts was close behind.  I love good black coffee, but have found I can only drink McDonalds, Dunkin Donuts, and Waffle House coffee black.  Everything else, including what I try to make at home, requires me to add coffee creamer to make it tolerable.  I love a good Latte or Capuchino, but can't stand any of Starbucks straight coffees, too bitter.

Good thing we have chocolate and vanilla ice cream......some like one and not the other. ....I wouldn't drink any of those on the list. DD used to be better 15 or 20 years ago. I love Starbucks but I do use half and half or organic milk when I make it at home.
Scott
Current bikes:
V7 III Special - Sophia
Royal Enfield Classic Chrome 500 Bullet - Guinevere
Suzuki V Strom 650 - Rita
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL250 custom
Honda TL125
Yamaha TY350

Online Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2022, 04:51:30 PM »
Road coffee??? is that like.........BEER???  :boozing: :boozing: :boozing: :boozing: :boozing: :boozing: :boozing: :boozing: :boozing:
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Online SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2022, 06:47:09 PM »
the other unspoken truth: "The colder you feel, the better the coffee as long as it is HOT!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Online jrt

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2022, 10:00:45 PM »
I definitely have my strong preferences; if I make coffee on the road, it is Peets and either an Aeropress or an insto-espresso thing.  But if that don't fit the schedule, then I'm a little more flexible.  Prefer small coffee shops, then starblech's, then whatever road-gravel-over-water I can find.  It may not be great coffee, but at least I can complain about it.

And Tex has it right-  context is important. 
L-720
1973 Eldorado
2003 Yardbird (1100 hydro)
2020 R1250RS

Online Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2022, 06:27:29 AM »
I got a cup at a truck stop on 44 the other day that reminded me of a gal I used to date. Not very sweet, but it sure was strong  :thumb:
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2022, 06:47:11 AM »
At the National in John Day, OR a number of years ago there was a mobile coffee shop set up. I needed an interpreter to read the list of coffees. After waiting in line it is finally my turn so I order a plain cup of black coffee, no fo-fo  stick, just ole black coffee. The man behind me was from Michigan and he said, "give me what Tex ordered".

Tex

Offline bacongrease

• Gosling
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2022, 09:41:30 AM »

Talked to a kid making coffee at a gas station, Quick Trip I
think,  he said it was a waste they were supposed to dump it after 4 hrs. (If they remembered).
Now, as  gas stations are getting huge and have grind it now coffee.  :smiley:

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2022, 10:33:34 AM »
I brew my own Cuban espresso at home with a stove top Italian coffee maker, using Cafe' Bustello. On the road, I usually take instant coffee with me. The two best brands I have found is Mexican Cafe Combate, and Bustello Instant. You can make it as strong as you want, and as long as you use good water, it tastes great to me.
Rick D.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline Guzzi Gal

• MOTO GUZZI~Because your heart is in the bike, and the bike is in your heart. ~Huzo~
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Sonoran Sunriders, YouTube
« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2022, 11:07:57 AM »
Nescafe' Decaf is my daily goto. I haven't found another instant that will dissolve as easily in cold water during the summer months. I can't handle regular caffeinated coffee anymore as it turns me into a stressed-out basket-case with a sour stomach for hours. :violent1: I will do a single half-caf, but only when absolutely necessary.

Starbucks drip coffee is nasty, bitter, and burnt shite. Their Americanos are hit-n-miss, but the frappuccinos are tasty, as long as you don't mind drinking a pound of sugar. I share a Tall (small) or two a year with my hubby during the holidays.

Coffee blasphemy, I know

https://www.purewow.com/food/best-instant-coffee-brands
« Last Edit: November 22, 2022, 11:17:32 AM by Guzzi Gal »
:bow: Thanks for enabling my MG obsession! :bow:
"Anni" '17 Moto Guzzi V7 III Anniversario #220/1000,
"Velvet" '16 Honda CTX 700,
"Brigitte", AKA "Gigi" '13 Vespa GTS 300ie,
"Grey Wind" '12 Vespa GTS 300 Super,  
The twin '16 Honda Metropolitans
"Miri" and Mori"

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2022, 12:49:45 PM »
I prefer local diners when I'm on the road.  Usually only one cup and then lots of water, otherwise Ill be taking bathroom breaks every hour.

If I'm in pinch, I'll do McD's and get a coffee and Egg McM.  I can't stomach the "hashbrowns" anymore.  That hazelnut at Panera is pretty good but I don't stop there when I'm riding.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2022, 12:51:52 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2022, 12:56:46 PM »
We have a (very manual) espresso machine at home; I found very few coffee shops on the road that beat my own and paying (a lot) for something inferior, hurts. I now carry a flask of water in the backpack, and in my tank bag resides sachets of the flat white foaming mix. To this I add 1/2 a teaspoon of instant to give it a bit of kick. Nowhere near as nice but cheap. :rolleyes: Also means I am not stuck in a cafe or shopping centre with the madding crowd but can stop at somewhere scenic.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here