Author Topic: Heated grips and gps on V7 Stone  (Read 3906 times)

Offline lorazepam

• Gosling
  • Almost ready for suspenders
Heated grips and gps on V7 Stone
« on: April 22, 2015, 07:29:23 AM »
Hey everyone, I am getting ready to put some heated grips and gps on my 2014 V7, and wondered if anyone has done this, and where you tapped into the wiring. I found a schematic, and found the gps plug, so i think I am good there.
I was wondering where folks are tapping in for heated grips. I really don't want to tap in anywhere that will affect lights or the control unit. There doe not appear to be a spare switched power outlet from the fuse panel. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
Re: Heated grips and gps on V7 Stone
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 07:45:07 AM »
why not use the GPS tap for both?
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline lorazepam

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 07:55:22 AM »
that tap also runs the headlights. I am worried that it will reduce the brightness of the headlight when the grips are in use. I suppose I could just do the eastern beaver setup and not worry about it.

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 08:00:07 AM »
The switched GPS plug is fused at 15A, easily enough for a GPS unit but maybe not for heated grips, you'll have to check.  The plug on the end is a strange one.  It's supposed to connect to the mating socket molded into the dock for the TomTom Rider.  Because it's nearly impossible to find a mating socket, most folks cut off the plug and wire up something more universal, like an SAE connector.  However, for purists, it is possible to obtain a matching socket so you don't have to alter your bike's wiring (thanks to "pauldaytona" at Guzzidiag for the info).  It is part of a Mercedes Benz short (5") extension cable that connects the outside temperature sensor to the car's electrical system on some models.  There's a socket on one end that mates with the MG GPS plug, and a matching plug, identical to the MG plug, on the other end.  It's Mercedes part number 230-540-01-66.  I got mine from Autonation http://www.autonationpartsdirect.com for about $22 including shipping.
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 08:00:07 AM »

Offline sturgeon

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 08:56:12 AM »
GPS connected to stock GPS wiring; I just replaced the connector with one for which I could find a mate.

Heated grips connected directly to battery through a small fuse box (Eastern Beaver 3CS). It's a hell of a lot easier than trying to find some existing circuit to share. I use the fuse box only because I have a couple of other things also connected directly to the battery.
Dyslexics Untie!

11 Yamaha WR250R
14 Moto Guzzi V7S
16 BMW R1200R

Offline lorazepam

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 12:02:40 PM »
I don't want to bugger up the wiring, so I am just going to wire in a 4 place fuse holder, and ground block. For now it will be direct to the battery, but I will connect a relay that will disable the circuits with the key off. Being a genuine village idiot, I am sure to leave something on that will drain the battery.

Offline rss29

• Hatchling
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 12:46:29 PM »
If you're adding Oxford Heated Grips there's no need for a relay. They have some circuitry in the controller that will shut the grips off after about 2 minutes if the bike isn't running. I was skeptical about that claim but have tested many times on my V7 and it works as advertised. I don't know about other brands, but the Oxfords work really well and come with everything needed to wire directly to the battery. I think that shutoff feature might only be on their premium grips, but they're less than $100.

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 01:26:43 PM »
The switched GPS plug is fused at 15A, easily enough for a GPS unit but maybe not for heated grips, you'll have to check.  The plug on the end is a strange one.  It's supposed to connect to the mating socket molded into the dock for the TomTom Rider.  Because it's nearly impossible to find a mating socket, most folks cut off the plug and wire up something more universal, like an SAE connector.  However, for purists, it is possible to obtain a matching socket so you don't have to alter your bike's wiring (thanks to "pauldaytona" at Guzzidiag for the info).  It is part of a Mercedes Benz short (5") extension cable that connects the outside temperature sensor to the car's electrical system on some models.  There's a socket on one end that mates with the MG GPS plug, and a matching plug, identical to the MG plug, on the other end.  It's Mercedes part number 230-540-01-66.  I got mine from Autonation http://www.autonationpartsdirect.com for about $22 including shipping.

Update:  I just noticed that Moto Guzzi now offers, as an accessory for the V7II bikes, a USB adapter that plugs into the pre-wired GPS plug.  The MG part number is 2S000166.  It's hard to tell from the pic, but it is possible that the socket on the USB adapter is for a different plug than the one on the pre-V7II models, which would imply that the pre-wired plug is different on the newer models.  Perhaps one of you Australian early possessors of a V7II will post a pic of the GPS plug here.  Here's a link to a site that pictures the adapter:

http://www.motoguzzi.it/motoguzzi/IT/it/accessori/NAKED/2S000166.html
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 01:28:37 PM by sib »
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here