General Category > Bike Builds, Rebuilds And Restorations Only

1967 V700 Corsa-Record

<< < (22/26) > >>

cliffrod:
The long parts were more challenging to get into shape than the short tips, but I'm happy with the results.

Laid out the patterns and cut the blanks from 18g steel.

I used my slip roll bender, a wood slapper to help convince the long parts to curve and a long piece of pipe to gain more leverage.  Steel bars like these flex at a predictable rate, so you've got to assist the metal to curve in the center where flex is most counterproductive. 

Everything can be gas welded  and then will wait for final trim & fitment to bike after the new head pipes and crossover are made.

Michael Moore:
I've made similar exhaust nut wrenches (Ducati) by taking an old nut that still had some of the fins on it, cutting a bad section of broken fins out to open it up and then attaching a handle. 

SED:
Impressive work!  Love your roller - might have to make one.

cliffrod:

--- Quote from: SED on October 24, 2021, 11:40:41 AM ---Impressive work!  Love your roller - might have to make one.

--- End quote ---

Thanks, man.  The good words are much appreciated.

The best thing about this slip roller bender is there are no commitments of special materials like the steel bar that are kept around to be used for a variety of jobs.  as example, I needed to tune these long cones. Real Pexto stakes for such mandrel-type work are hard to find and not cheap.  So a handy steel bar, like one used for the slip roll bender, can be clamped into a vise and used with a simple outboard leg, in this case a scrap length of 2x4 with a slightly larger hole through it, and it becomes a great mandrel to use with a slapper, made from an old file.

Easy to install, remove and adjust tension on leg as needed.  It's equally fast and easy to install and remove work.

All parts are welded, tuned as needed, welds dressed and shot with some handy paint simply to ward off rust until there's time and materials for more progress.   Wooden patterns, paper patterns, finished collectors and reverse cone megaphones.

Sure has been great to have had time and gorgeous fall weather to to enjoy while spending a weekend making bike parts.  Very cool.

Turin:
Oh man do I need to start working on my heap. your bike is going to be amazing!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version