General Category > Bike Builds, Rebuilds And Restorations Only

1967 V700 Corsa-Record

<< < (24/26) > >>

cliffrod:

--- Quote from: Mayor_of_BBQ on December 02, 2021, 11:11:03 AM ---Cliff PM me your address I have a couple sheets of great gasket for this application. I used it to replace the cork gasket on my Ambo tank cap and it has been stellar.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the offer, Chad.  I have some flat material here that's probably similar here.. The ? is more about how I configure and attach the seal.  The original seal/gasket is somewhat fancy.  The repro caps appear to use a metal retainer (probably with rivets) to hold a flat gasket in place, which is probably how I'll do mine. 

I've also got some new muscadine wine here, so expect we can come to an appropriate arrangement.....

Mayor_of_BBQ:
Still havent got that in the mail, Clint. I had some manilla envelopes around here somewhere... cant seem to find them. Will depart soon, good thing this is a long-term project. FYI the material is Buna-N (Nitrile) sheet at 1/8" thick IIRC

It should mosey down there in the next week or so, maybe it will beat Santa to your hose! And yeah, I am always down for some muscadine wine!

cliffrod:

--- Quote from: Mayor_of_BBQ on December 13, 2021, 10:56:23 AM ---Still havent got that in the mail, Clint. I had some manilla envelopes around here somewhere... cant seem to find them. Will depart soon, good thing this is a long-term project. FYI the material is Buna-N (Nitrile) sheet at 1/8" thick IIRC

It should mosey down there in the next week or so, maybe it will beat Santa to your hose! And yeah, I am always down for some muscadine wine!

--- End quote ---

No time for any Guzzi progress lately, but I wanted to post a couple of quick updates-

1.  I wanted to post a big thank you to the Mayor for his generous donation of Buna-N to the project & the gas cap gasket effort.  Your muscadine wine awaits.

2. I was pleasantly surprised yesterday to learn that I (or at least some guy with almost the same name as me- I'm the II, not the III...) have been awarded Metal Shaper of the Month over on the AllMetalShaping forum for the metal shaping portions of this ongoing bike build!!  Very cool- sure didn't see that coming. 

Looking forward to getting caught up some around here so I can get back into the project.   Lawn mowing season is about to begin and that always complicates fun time in the shop.

cliffrod:
Time for a brief update and HUGE thank you. 

Life responsibilities continue to take priority over bike stuff.  Then, the addition of an 81 Lemans CX100 to the herd at the end of April and ongoing sorting diverted limited available attention and resources from the Corsa Record project.  But the break has allowed me some perspective and time to better critique my progress to date.

I’m not happy with the tank top, in terms of comparison to the World Record bikes.  I’ve taken some artistic liberty, but now it’s not what I want it to represent.  The spontaneous character of the original bikes is what I want to capture, but. It’s hard to be accurately spontaneous on purpose….  I also want to add some baffles to benefit handing, which would be difficult with the current one piece top.  Mad Genius Allen Millyard did a similarly-shaped tank for his replica Honda RC 250-6 build, which he fabricated & assembled in a different order to facilitate the installation of baffles.  So a full rework had become the plan. 

This morning, I was surprised with a large group of pics from Canuck750 Jim Carey in my email inbox.  He generously took time during his current Mandello Anniversary trip to get many new pics of the existing original World Record bike in the factory museum, including many details I had yet to clearly see.   One shows the rear of the tank being much more narrow than I previously understood it to be.  So a serious rework of the tank is now even more palatable.

These pics will be indispensable to the project and are sincerely appreciated.  Thank you for being a friend, Jim.

Tkelly:
Several years ago a friend Let me ride his v700 and I was surprised by how good the handling and brakes were compared with my memory of my old Eldo.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version