Author Topic: Next (personal) project - Moto Morini 3 1/2 Strada  (Read 22673 times)

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
Re: Next (personal) project - Moto Morini 3 1/2 Strada
« Reply #240 on: October 19, 2021, 09:18:32 PM »
My electronic flasher arrived this afternoon. I made a little extender for it's mounting clip to move it down about an inch.

Taking photos of the bodywork again, for another prospective painter. I buffed out the area under the 3 1/2 badge on one sidecover and I think it's about as close to the true original color as I'll get.

The right side of the tank doesn't look too bad other than the dent.

Not terribly rusty inside.

But, the left side had a bunch of pinholes that I had welded up. Decided it would be best to leave smoothing them out to the bodyman.

On to the seats. The original dual seat is apparently a bit of an odd-ball - when I contacted the original manufacturer (Nisa in Italy) about a replacement cover, they wanted to sell me one about 30 mm too short. They seem to have no record of longer ones being made, but this was definitely factory. Removed the tattered remains of the original cover.

Found this shrunken red piece of plastic, not sure of it's purpose.

The foam is pretty stuck to the pan. You can see the extra section added.

The pan is solid other than a small crack at the center hole.

Photos for Nisa, since they don't seem to believe me.

If they can't supply a cover of the proper length, then I'll have my local upholstery guy make a copy of the original.

Next up, the solo seat that canuck750 gave me. It could be used as-is, but the cover isn't quite right, so should be re-covered.

Drilled the heads off all of the pop rivets securing the cover.

After a bit of a fight, the cover came off. It was glued on, with thin foam over the original foam.

Lovely pink edge trim.

Nice solid pan.

And reusable foam.

Need to decide whether to have the pan powder coated and new cover installed, or not. To make it complete, I'd still need to source the aluminum trim, screws, nuts and washer that are missing. The cost of it all is probably more than a new (made by Nisa) seat. Need to sleep on it.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 09:21:09 PM by Antietam Classic Cycle »
Charlie

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #241 on: October 28, 2021, 06:46:32 PM »
I dropped the seat pans off at my local powder coater for sandblasting last Thursday and picked them up today. The Sport pan is in very good condition with just a crack at one hole on the side. The dual-seat pan has the same crack in the same place, plus a little perforation at the left rear. Not too bad for their age.

My customer Mark (who owns three drum-brake 3 1/2 Sports), recently purchased an early Strada as well. It came with a spare later style tank in lovely red paint, and he's agreed to sell it to me. It will be a much better starting point than my original. There's one dent in the top, but otherwise it's solid and leak-free.

Charlie

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #242 on: November 24, 2021, 09:25:41 PM »
Had the seat pans repaired by my friend Curtis.

Dropped them off at the powder coater a bit over a week ago, picked them up today.

Charlie

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #243 on: December 17, 2021, 08:16:18 PM »
The (Sport) seat has been at the upholstery shop for a week now, I expect a call sometime next week that it's done. Nisa (original manufacturer of the seats) says my extended Turismo/Strada seat "isn't in their catalog" and that the cover would need to be custom-made. Weird, since they definitely made the original. I sent them the extension length they asked for (approx. 60 mm), but haven't heard back since. I may have the upholstery shop make one instead.

While I was away today, customer Mark dropped off the "new" tank. Looks good and solid, one shallow dent on the left rear of the top and small ding next to it. Inside has a good coating of "varnish" mixed with some rust. I'll probably clean it out with electrolysis.

Charlie

Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi

« Reply #243 on: December 17, 2021, 08:16:18 PM »

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #244 on: December 29, 2021, 08:47:20 PM »
Joe's Upholstery called yesterday to let me know they were done installing the seat cover, so I went and picked it up this morning. Looks great. Still needed the aluminum trim installed, so I did that this evening. The trim comes straight - no bends, and it takes a bit of effort to get it bent correctly.

Set it on the bike to see how it looks.

I dropped off the dual seat for them to do next - they'll make the cover this time. I ordered a stencil sticker to apply the name once it's done.

Stripped the tank down. As is most often the case, the emblems were stuck on with double-sided tape.

I hope to send the tank and the sidecovers off for paint sometime next week.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 08:48:04 PM by Antietam Classic Cycle »
Charlie

Online Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #245 on: December 29, 2021, 08:51:41 PM »
Seat looks real good Charlie!
48 Guzzi Airone, 57 Guzzi Cardellino, 65 Benelli 200 sprite, 66 Aermacchi Sprint, 68 Gilera 106 SS, 72 Eldorado, 72 Benelli 180, 74 Guzzi 750S, 73 Laverda SF1, 74  Benelli 650S, 75 Ducati 860GT, 75 Moto Morini 3-1/2, 78 Moto Morinii 500

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #246 on: December 30, 2021, 08:56:00 AM »
Seat looks real good Charlie!

It should. It's cost me $100 more than what a reproduction (from the original manufacturer) would have.
Charlie

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #247 on: December 31, 2021, 08:57:52 PM »
The tank is "cooking" to remove the rust inside.

Charlie

Online Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #248 on: January 02, 2022, 01:34:27 PM »
The tank is "cooking" to remove the rust inside.

I have never given that a try in a gas tank, what do you use for the anode and do you use washing soda mix d with water for the solution, is it positive to the anode and negative to the tank??

I have a couple tanks I should attempt this on.

Thanks
Jim
48 Guzzi Airone, 57 Guzzi Cardellino, 65 Benelli 200 sprite, 66 Aermacchi Sprint, 68 Gilera 106 SS, 72 Eldorado, 72 Benelli 180, 74 Guzzi 750S, 73 Laverda SF1, 74  Benelli 650S, 75 Ducati 860GT, 75 Moto Morini 3-1/2, 78 Moto Morinii 500

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #249 on: January 03, 2022, 08:58:36 AM »
I have never given that a try in a gas tank, what do you use for the anode and do you use washing soda mix d with water for the solution, is it positive to the anode and negative to the tank??

I have a couple tanks I should attempt this on.

Thanks
Jim

I'm sure there are better things to use, but the anode I'm using is just a length of 1/4" steel rod, bent to an "L" shape. Likewise with power supply - I use an 45 year old Craftsman battery charger set on 12 volts and 10 amps. 1/2 cup of washing soda to 5 gallons of water. Yes, positive to anode.

Slow process - I'm on the third day. The anode is still collecting "barnacles".

If the tank is just lightly rusted, no "varnish", I use milkstone remover instead. Quicker and does an excellent job. This one had a nice coating of varnish along with the rust.
Charlie

Online Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #250 on: January 03, 2022, 02:02:25 PM »
I'm sure there are better things to use, but the anode I'm using is just a length of 1/4" steel rod, bent to an "L" shape. Likewise with power supply - I use an 45 year old Craftsman battery charger set on 12 volts and 10 amps. 1/2 cup of washing soda to 5 gallons of water. Yes, positive to anode.

Slow process - I'm on the third day. The anode is still collecting "barnacles".

Thanks Charlie, I have an ancient Sears battery charger / engine starter 5/3/2/225 amp - 6/12V beast I inherited from my father in law that should work out great for this.

Jim

If the tank is just lightly rusted, no "varnish", I use milkstone remover instead. Quicker and does an excellent job. This one had a nice coating of varnish along with the rust.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Harper's Moto Guzzi : Go Ride , Break Parts, Call me!
Harper's Moto Guzzi. Where we still answer the phone, use the highest quality parts, and also do Transmission, rear drive, and carb rebuilds fast. Call us at 816.697.3411 and get your problems resolved.
http://www.harpermoto.com
Advertise Here