Author Topic: '04 EV odometer inoperable  (Read 1195 times)

Offline Burkslaw

• Hatchling
'04 EV odometer inoperable
« on: December 03, 2018, 09:16:43 AM »
The odometer in my '04 California EV1100 does not work. I suspect it's the same nylon gear problem my old Beemers have suffered from-- possible? I read Mike Tashjian's excellent how-to on cutting the gauge apart for repair and would tackle this myself, but I can't find any source for internal repair parts. Do I need to throw in the towel and send it out? If so, recommendations?

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
Re: '04 EV odometer inoperable
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 09:56:52 AM »
Yep, the ITI odometer METAL gears fail. Common.
I repaired mine by filling the metal with JB Weld, and working that with a small file. That lasted about 80,000 miles. I was lucky I guess because I couldn't repeat that fix. I now run a Speedhut replacement.

I suspect the info you have on the speedo disassembly is for an older Veglia model.

Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 10:08:19 AM »
 Just put a spot of white paint on the front tire so you can count the revolutions and do the math.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline Idontwantapickle

• Gaggle Hero
  • The rotation of the earth really makes my day.
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 12:04:35 PM »
Just put a spot of white paint on the front tire so you can count the revolutions and do the math.

Now that's just silly. A baseball card in the spokes would be better on so many levels.
There is no end to what we can do together.
Sir James Paul McCartney

AMA Charter Life Member

72 Eldo
85 LeMans 1000 Loud, Fast and Red
2007 Norge rivestimento di argento
84 BMW R100RS

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 12:04:35 PM »

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 12:17:37 PM »

Last I heard, there weren't any shops that would repair the ITI Speedo.

When it failed, I replaced the one on my V11 LeMans with a new one, which I took apart and lubed before installing in the bike. 

Speed hut units are the best alternative I've seen.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2018, 01:27:27 PM »
Yeah, once one fails, they are history. The best bet is to lube them before that happens. There is really no fixing them. <scratching head> I wonder if that gear is something a guy with some machinery could fabricate? My latest cad/cam software has gear and cam routines..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2018, 02:07:28 PM »
Yeah, once one fails, they are history. The best bet is to lube them before that happens. There is really no fixing them. <scratching head> I wonder if that gear is something a guy with some machinery could fabricate? My latest cad/cam software has gear and cam routines..

Even on a new one, the metal teeth are barely touching each other. The tips of the teeth wear and it fails. I took one that failed, drilled a new hole for the gear that relocated it closer. That repaired one lasted a fairly long time actually. (maybe 20,000 miles, I don't recall for certain.)
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2018, 03:56:45 PM »
When my ITI failedzst 7k on my 07 CalVin I researched the heck out of getting if fixed. I did find a guy, but have no contact or remember the company, had a mechine shop to make up the gears. His price to replace the cheezy parts was 300.00 plus shipping, total 350.00. I decided, at the suggestion of one of the guys here to get a bicycle GPS odometer, which I did for 70 bucks. Worked great and I just left the cheezy on in place for looks.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here