Author Topic: V7 Frame Sliders  (Read 20664 times)

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: V7 Frame Sliders
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2016, 06:21:42 PM »
Do they fit V7 II ?? Thanks.

I don't see why not. As long as that portion of the frame is same, and I'm under the impression it is.

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Seamaster

• New Egg
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2016, 12:49:14 AM »
I don't see why not. As long as that portion of the frame is same, and I'm under the impression it is.

Thanks for the reply, yes, a difference source also confirmed they or others like this will fit V7II
2016 Moto Guzzi V7II Stone Black

Offline MotoBug

• Hatchling
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2017, 11:47:38 PM »
Rather than starting a new topic I'll dust this one off and fire it up again.

How are users of the frame sliders going? Any further thoughts or unfortunate experience with them? I'm looking into crash protection options for my 2016 V7II S. These sliders are a neat option compared to crash bars but I wonder how much protection they offer due to being mounted low.

Offline Ltl1

• New Egg
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2020, 01:23:28 PM »
Hey gang,

This thread has been restarted a couple times and I'm doing it again. Looking for feedback and recommendations for frame sliders versus engine guards for a 2016 v7 ll. The assumption I'm operating on is that there would be insurance on a drop or low speed slide versus at speed. Any and all thoughts are appreciated  :thumb:

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2020, 01:23:28 PM »

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2020, 04:03:02 PM »
I did mine a bit different.
I have the same as kev but I choose to have a second extender plate machined to add where the original connects to the frame thus leaving the length of the slider as delivered.  No real reason, it's just what I did.  net effect is the same as the slider will now contact before the head.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Online Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2020, 05:37:33 PM »
Think about your needs.

When I sold my first engine guards because they wouldn’t work with my 70tre scrambler exhaust, I considered whether I wanted to replace them with frame sliders, the 70tre head frames, or engine guards that did fit. I love the look of the 70tre frames, but chose the Hepco & Becker scrambler/Stornello guards because they were more heavy duty, protected more area, and I could mount aux lights should I decide to down the road (pun!).
Current: ‘16 Guzzi V7 II Stone, ‘78 BMW R80/7

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Bert Remington

« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2020, 03:09:13 PM »
Wisdom from Dirk_S
Think about your needs.
so I'm going down that path.  Priorities for my 2019 V7 III Stone mostly ridden on paved roads -- maybe ridden on county-graded roads are:

1. In the event of a tipover, prevent entrapment of my leg or other extremity.  I will usually be riding with side cases and always in my Aerostich Roadcrafter Classic.

2. In the event of a tipover, reduce damage to motorcycle especially cylinder heads.

3. In the event of a tipover, reduce the effort to upright the motorcycle to continue riding.

4. Remain in place for scheduled services.

5. Generally fit into the overall style of the motorcycle.

6. Unobtrusive appearance.

7. Lower cost is the tie-breaker.

Mounting auxiliary lighting is not of interest for shadowing reasons.  I will be mounting two DOT LED foglights on the forks about fender height for both visibility and illumination purposes and want them roughly even with the headlight.  As discussed elsewhere, I will be using two programmable relays to "wiggle the handlebars" when I press the momentary Hi-Beam switch to attract the attention of drivers at intersections.

WRT speed, I think Kev m said it best
This is the eternal debate with sliders and crash bars. I'm of the opinion that:

1. They are primarily to prevent damage in standing or low speed drops.

2. They are unlikely to damage the frame being the contact point is derlan or some other sacrificial plastic.
 And the plastic is mounted to aluminum, which is then mounted to the frame so the aluminum should hopefully be weaker than the frame if push comes to shove.

3. If the hit is hard enough to go through or past the plastic/aluminum and actually does damage the frame you would have had just as big problems with hitting the head, or at least it's so hard a hit you'd likely be looking at a write off anyway.

4. Things like this provide some small safety net to hopefully prevent minor and annoying cosmetic or light functional damage.

But bottom line, there are no guarantees either way.

The Stucchi engine guards are awesome and if I was getting a Rough or as in my much younger days riding in mud and snow they would be my choice.

The MG head protectors seem to be limited to head protecting and wallet emptying.

As one person said of the MG engine guards, they look like they came from the factory but protection, etc is uncertain.  A candidate.

The Givi engine guards are a bit more obtrusive, look like they meet most priorities, and the price is awesome.

The H&B engine guards are more obtrusive but I think uprighting the motorcycle would be easier.  I believe the Agostini engine guards are similar.

I really would like to choose the Sato frame sliders but I'm doubtful about protection, etc priorities.

So unless Kev M can talk me into the Sato's, it's looking like the Givi's for me.

Suggestions, corrections, etc welcome.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2020, 03:40:09 PM »
Hey go with what makes you feel warm and fuzzy.

We've got two rides now with the sliders, my 13 Stone and Jenn's V7III D (well 3 if you count Jenn's Duc). Hopefully we'll continue to not test them. But we've certainly put our money where our mouth is as that's three bikes we purchased brand new and added sliders for the only real drop protection.

Honestly if I'd kept my Sportster that I got rid of last summer after about 12 years in the fleet I was thinking of getting rid of the engine guard and fastening some sliders.

That said, I don't think any guards on the V7's are going to make it easier to upright. I say this because in pretty sure the exhaust hits first and you have to be sorta over-center on the exhaust before these guards (sliders or bars) are gonna hit.

But that's a swag I've not tested and hope not to.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 05:37:43 PM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Bert Remington

« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2020, 06:19:51 PM »
Thanks Kev M.

The Stucchi's kept intriguing me so I studied the pictures and descriptions more carefully.  Here's what I found:

1.  They have a 3-point mount -- two socket head machine screws into permanent-mount downtube frame brackets and one rubber bumper against the cylinder head.

2.  They are designed for quick removal -- remove the two screws each side leaving behind the frame brackets.

3.  They have a pleasant flow around the engine that doesn't seem to protrude any further than the abrupt H&B's.

So here's how they meet my priorities:

1 = Better than most (the Givi's look to be the best)
2 = Yep, probably the best
3 = Better than most, especially with side cases mounted (I think); easy to wrap with tie strap or rope (hmm carry in side cases?)
4 = Nope but easily removed with four machine screws (H&B's look to be worst followed by Givi's)
5 = Better than most due to front-to-back flow
6 = Nope
7 = Second cheapest

So my choice is down to the Givi's or the Stucchi's.  And I'm leaning to the right. :smiley:

Online Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2020, 06:30:40 PM »
The Stucchi's kept intriguing me so I studied the pictures and descriptions more carefully...

I was quite smitten with the Stucchi guards, so much that I purchased them, held them in hand for 1 whole day, then packed them up and resold ‘em after realizing that my scrambler pipes were in the way of the right mounting points.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 07:04:35 PM by Dirk_S »
Current: ‘16 Guzzi V7 II Stone, ‘78 BMW R80/7

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Bert Remington

« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2020, 06:44:17 PM »
And here's where you did that: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stucchi-Engine-Protectors-For-Moto-Guzzi-V7II-V7III-V9-Brand-New-/174265221523?nma=true&si=yj648h4qMyqzStmzUi2XVJoJybQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

It was looking at your pictures that made me understand it was a three-point mount.  Thanks.

I'll probably make MG Cycle happier tomorrow.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2020, 07:22:57 PM »
I still don't think #3 really applies, but if it did Givi > Stucchi on that category.

None of them particularly look bad.

I dunno... But it will be cool to see what you choose!
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Chethro

• New Egg
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2020, 09:33:40 AM »
The only concern I see with those or the Giva is that they block some air flow right at the exhaust attachment to the head. Probably would never matter...
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 09:35:37 AM by Chethro »
2018 DR 650
2020 V85TT
2022 V7 850 Stone

Bert Remington

« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2020, 03:34:00 PM »
Alright everyone can breathe out -- I purchased the Stucchi from MG Cycle. :laugh:

It finally came down to appearance.  Think Carbon Dark. :laugh:

Kev m and Chethro -- your points are well taken.  Thanks.

My Stone should be leaving OH tomorrow or Thursday.  Fingers crossed.

Online Githianki

• Hatchling
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2020, 06:04:44 AM »
@Kev M

Think you could mount a set of lights to the sliders?  I'm on the fence over bars or sliders, but I do want to add a set of lights.
If you can beat them, arrange to have them beaten.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2020, 06:23:00 AM »
@Kev M

Think you could mount a set of lights to the sliders?  I'm on the fence over bars or sliders, but I do want to add a set of lights.

Good question.

Simple answer: I  BET it would be easier to do so on one of the sets of engine guards.

More complicated answer: You CAN do anything you set your mind to. At a glance I think it could be done using a longer spacer or other adapter on the mount. But as you can see on my MKI the current spacer aligns with the exhaust pipe from more or less a straight on view (ok, it's not straight on, the camera is a little to the side but you get the picture).

Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online Githianki

• Hatchling
« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2020, 06:36:24 AM »
Hmmmm...Maybe not a longer spacer, but a slightly longer slider portion with a shoulder turned on it to accommodate a clamp.   

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2020, 06:44:06 AM »
Hmmmm...Maybe not a longer spacer, but a slightly longer slider portion with a shoulder turned on it to accommodate a clamp.   

:thumb: That could work. Or a combination of the two.

Though wouldn't it be better to mount them to the triple trees?
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online Githianki

• Hatchling
« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2020, 06:58:27 AM »
I like them lower then the headlight, always felt they could be seen better.  They stick out more imo.  Maybe I'll just put them of the lower part of the forks

Bert Remington

« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2020, 09:48:30 AM »
I wish H&B sold the mount separate from the lights. https://www.motomachines.com/hepco-becker-twinlight-lamp-set-moto-guzzi-v7iii

Offline tonyduc

• Gosling
    • Staccato Cycle
« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2020, 07:34:53 PM »
I just got a 2019 V7 iiii Night Pack last week. I ordered the Sato Racing Frame Sliders for a V7iii - will take a week or so to arrive. It is different from the V7 ii sliders they make, so hopefully this type will extend farther out and don’t require a shim. Will report after I install them.
Tony
2011 Stelvio -white
1976 T3
1996 Ducati 900ss CR
2017 Yamaha XT250
1966 Ford Bronco

Former
1969 Ducati 450 SCR
1984 California II
07 Honda VFR
71 CL350
08 Ducati 848
05 Ducati M620
80 Yamaha XS650
73 Suzuki TC100

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2020, 07:43:01 PM »
I just got a 2019 V7 iiii Night Pack last week. I ordered the Sato Racing Frame Sliders for a V7iii - will take a week or so to arrive. It is different from the V7 ii sliders they make, so hopefully this type will extend farther out and don’t require a shim. Will report after I install them.
Tony
Yeah they are.

I guess I never updated this thread when we bought a V7III D a year and a half ago and added the Sato Sliders!  :thumb:
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Bert Remington

« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2020, 08:40:24 PM »
Kev m -- this thread https://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=100240.msg1586272#msg1586272

The tank perspective of the Givi engine guards in this post https://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=100240.msg1586515#msg1586515 helped my choose the Stucchi's.

Offline Ltl1

• New Egg
« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2020, 10:05:09 AM »
Well, I guess I wasn't the only one trying to figure out my options here. All the input is really helpful...I think for my purposes, I'm gonna go with the Sato sliders.

Now, anyone wanna help me find a quarter/bikini fairing that'll fit my 2016 V7ll hahaha...but, seriously.

wendi

Bert Remington

« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2020, 10:33:17 AM »
Ltl1 -- they're out there, mostly in England.  Don't expect a direct bolt-on but after looking at the variety of engine guards, fabricating brackets in mild steel or aluminum should be fairly easy.  You're really going to have to open your wallet.  I'm thinking if you get one mounted and color-matched for $750 you did really well.

I researched that style fairing for my V7 III but in the end chose no-fairing/no-screen and deleted all my links so don't have any to share with you.

Send pictures when it's done!

Offline Ltl1

• New Egg
« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2020, 11:00:10 PM »
Bert-
Thanks for the input...yeah, that price is alot just to look at.

Online elrealistico

• Hatchling
« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2020, 03:55:53 AM »
Yeah they are.

I guess I never updated this thread when we bought a V7III D a year and a half ago and added the Sato Sliders!  :thumb:

Yeah, please do post a pic or two, if either of you V7III'ers get the chance. I am looking for something less obtrusive than a crashbar, and the OEM head protector things don't look like they would stick out enough, and are expensive.

2018 V7III Special
1978 T140V Bonneville
2004 EV Touring

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2020, 06:59:55 AM »
Yeah, please do post a pic or two, if either of you V7III'ers get the chance. I am looking for something less obtrusive than a crashbar, and the OEM head protector things don't look like they would stick out enough, and are expensive.

Well Bert found the thread where I'd posted a pic of them on the IIID earlier, but here it is:

But I can probably find a few more:

Gotta take the kids to camp but when I get back I'll see if I have any more from a more direct/frontal point of view.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2020, 07:29:50 AM »
And a couple more...

That's about all I can find. I guess straight-on is not exactly an angle I tend to shoot.

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 07:30:18 AM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here