Author Topic: V7 servicing, did I just get hosed?  (Read 25021 times)

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
Re: V7 servicing, did I just get hosed?
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2015, 10:30:09 PM »
Learning moment here.  Ask questions about what is going to be done and how much will be charged before making the appointment. Challenge those answers at that time or after you have gone home and thought it over.  When you drop the bike off and toss the keys on the counter the clock starts ticking.  If they find something they need to call you for approval. 
I counsel the people at the office often. They drop the key's on the service counter and accept what they are told is needed.  1/2 of their bill is fluff .... $50.00 wiper blades, $150 per spark plug installed, etc     
Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

56Pan

« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2015, 11:27:28 PM »
It is like a high maintenance girlfriend.  Very expensive and you get screwed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh9ZZgDqzAg

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: Re: V7 servicing, did I just get hosed?
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2015, 03:38:35 AM »

I counsel the people at the office often. They drop the key's on the service counter and accept what they are told is needed.  1/2 of their bill is fluff .... $50.00 wiper blades, $150 per spark plug installed, etc  

Not for nothing, but wiper blades are easily $30-40 bucks a set even at NAPA these days, add $10 labor if you're not installing them yourself and $50 isn't actually unreasonable.

The Dodge Hemi V8 is a dual plug head, meaning 16 plugs, some of which require a contortionist. I'm told those who pay to have them installed pay AT LEAST an hour of labor (often more) on top of plug cost (couple of bucks per plug), so $150 would likely be reasonable or a bargain.

I'm not saying $500 is reasonable for plugs and a three fluid change on a Guzzi, but things are more expensive than us cheap, diy Guzzisti usually make them out to be.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

oldbike54

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2015, 03:46:29 AM »
Yep , hosed .

Dusty

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2015, 03:46:29 AM »

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2015, 07:34:10 PM »
Yep , hosed .

Dusty

Agreed Major hose job.  What spark plugs do not last longer than a set of tires.
Red 90 Mille GT

Online sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2015, 07:47:02 PM »
He didn't get hosed.  It's all a part of owning an Italian motorcycle from a minor marque (but once a major brand!).

However, it's a really easy bike to service.  I can show you some links to do it all yourself.
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2015, 08:05:39 PM »
He didn't get hosed.  It's all a part of owning an Italian motorcycle from a minor marque (but once a major brand!).

However, it's a really easy bike to service.  I can show you some links to do it all yourself.

It's no different then getting hosed by a $100-120/hr
Harley dealer.  Minor marque has nothing to do with it.  Dealerships make more money on service than they do sales. 

Learn to do your own basic maintenance, you (and your wallet) will be better for it.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

oldbike54

« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2015, 08:06:24 PM »

How does that justify a hosing  ???

Dusty

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2015, 08:08:15 PM »
how do you reset MAINT ? 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Vasco DG

« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2015, 08:35:03 PM »
On the small locks? By pushing a button on the dash and turning the key on and off.

Offline arveno

• Gaggle Hero
    • ddleathers.com
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2015, 09:23:15 PM »
Alright, so my dash on my 2013 V7 starts flashing MAINT when I first turn my bike on a little after 3000 miles so I ride over to the MG dealership and the shop guy says that it's time for my 3000 mile service, they change my oil, spark plugs, transmission oil, and final drive oil. I pick up my bike the next day $500 poorer and ride home. I download the service manual for my bike and find out it doesn't have a 3000 mile service interval! It has the 1000 km break in service, and then service intervals every 10,000 km after that. Why did my dash show MAINT? Is there a new update that does include servicing every 5000 km? Or did the dealership just do extra work for the sake of extra work?

To me seems that's a lot of money BUT i do not think you got hosed , i believe that nowadays thats what you will pay regardless the brand/dealer

Would you mind share with us the "breakdown" of the bill ?
Oils price, filter , plugs , labor hourly rate ... it should be all explained.

I agreed that plugs at 3k is not necessary , but did you ask them to explain ?

« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 09:25:37 PM by arveno »

Offline ClassicV7

• New Egg
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2015, 08:49:26 AM »
To reset MAINT warning: With the ignition off, press and hold down the left "A" button, turn the ignition on, then off, and then release the button.
-Elliot
2009 R1200RT
2012 Guzzi V7

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2015, 08:53:24 AM »
To reset MAINT warning: With the ignition off, press and hold down the left "A" button, turn the ignition on, then off, and then release the button.

Thanks!   ;-T
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline MMRanch

• MMRanch
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Evil wins if Good Men do Nothing
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2019, 12:48:49 AM »
Ok , how do you reset the Maintenance light on a single instrument dash with no buttons ?   
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 12:50:07 AM by MMRanch »
2016 V7-II Stone
2022 Royal Enfield Meteor Stellar Blue

Online blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2019, 06:18:53 AM »
That 10w60 oil ain't cheap.  I bought mine online and with shipping, still about $50.  New England and NYC are very expensive places to live.  The rent is outrageous (the small 2000 sq. ft. garage that may rent for $1500-2000 where I live in the midwest will be $8,000-10,000 in NYC), because the cost of living is so high, wages must be higher, and oh, yeah, at the end of the day, the dealer would like to put a little money in his IRA.  Not everyone wants to do their own maintenance and if you don't you have to pay someone for the privilege.  This is a hobby and if you don't self maintain your (pick your toy).... it is expensive.  On my just purchased v85, I had the dealer throw in the first service as part of the sale, and when I got it back, although I didn't have to pay it, the invoice was $270.  That is in one of the lowest cost areas of the country.  He has 2 mechanics to pay, 2 counterpeople, cost to inventory about 40 bikes and rent and electric to pay from that.  Oh, there is also himself if there is any left.
With all of this said, it is reasonable before turning over the keys to ask what they are going to do and if the answer does not jibe with the manual, question it.  Maybe in their experience, it has been a good idea to do some of the extra stuff.  For example, it is far harder on bikes that only run is urban places, in car manuals there are often 2 service intervals depending on the majority of your driving and the hard use one is twice as often for fluids.  After consideration, you might then ask them to stick to the book recommendation.  One other thing, were these the first new plugs on your 6 year old bike?  Was the break in service done 5 years ago?  If so, I am not surprised that they changed everything.
Good luck in the future and if you really don't want to do your own work, then simply inform your self before your next visit.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 06:22:15 AM by blu guzz »
Blue Guzz

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2019, 06:42:40 AM »
Uhhhhh BlueG - you're answering an almost 5 year old post.

Ok , how do you reset the Maintenance light on a single instrument dash with no buttons ?   

You don't.

You need the dealer PADS or we have to hope GuzziDiag offers us a solution eventually.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 07:50:06 AM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2019, 06:55:42 AM »
 Cover the maintenance light with black tape, change your own oil.. but I do understand not everyone wants to do it or has a place to do it..The dealers have high overhead and charge for it...Was the OP hosed? Yes he was but that's the way it often goes...

Online blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2019, 09:51:10 AM »
Mea culpa Kev.  However, if it were a current post, I would stand by everything I said and the part about the rent and cost of living is definitely true now as it was then.  I also stand by "educate yourself".    Thanks for pointing that out however it is a good reason not to ever take yourself too seriously.
Blue Guzz

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2019, 09:53:26 AM »
Mea culpa Kev.  However, if it were a current post, I would stand by everything I said and the part about the rent and cost of living is definitely true now as it was then.  I also stand by "educate yourself".    Thanks for pointing that out however it is a good reason not to ever take yourself too seriously.

All true.... I just wanted to point out the OP probably made up his mind by now.  :wink:
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2019, 04:25:21 PM »
Why did someone drag up an ancient post like this?
Blue Guzz

Offline MMRanch

• MMRanch
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Evil wins if Good Men do Nothing
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2019, 10:07:27 PM »
Do a Google search on resetting the oil change "check engine light" , and see what pops up ...
2016 V7-II Stone
2022 Royal Enfield Meteor Stellar Blue

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2019, 07:51:06 AM »
Do a Google search on resetting the oil change "check engine light" , and see what pops up ...

?!?
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline baby_lamb_bear

• New Egg
« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2019, 02:56:18 PM »
Why did someone drag up an ancient post like this?

This  :thewife:

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2019, 03:26:20 PM »
You need a Emoticon(is that the word) w/a big stick hitting your dash!!!! Use a ball bat and knock it to the neighbors yard..
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here