Author Topic: Triumph - best selling Euro Brand in North America. Why?  (Read 18799 times)

bpreynolds

Triumph - best selling Euro Brand in North America. Why?
« on: April 15, 2015, 06:39:34 AM »
Just read this recent report and it still surprises me.
https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2015/04/14/triumph-motorcycles-maintains-position-as-1-euro-brand-in-us/
While I'm obviously biased and a fan of Triumphs - owning two myself, though one in pieces - I'm always curious why one foreign brand succeeds over another in the fickle US biker economy. My love of Guzzi also always makes me wonder where they could, should, and/or definitely shouldn't take cues from other companies as per their success.  With all of Ducati's developments and all of BMW's engineering, it still surprises me that Triumph is the best selling brand in the States.  I used to think the bike market here was all cruiser and sport and if a company could get a foothold in either or both, then they'd be set; yet, I'm not sure that's correct or even exactly how Triumph's success would fit into this theory.  After all, can't be all Bonnie and Street Triple sales that bring them out on top.  

The board here is always much better with history and other market trends too than I am.  So I ask.  Why Triumph?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 12:03:25 PM by bpreynolds »

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: Triumph - best selling Euro Brand in North America. Why?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 06:51:09 AM »
Well, first off, they achieved that for only one month, January... which tells me that BMW is probably not far behind, and probably held that title previously. I also think we're not talking astronomical numbers (except maybe compared to Guzzi).

If I had to take a swag I'd say the reason for it is exactly what you were guessing in the first place.

The American market is, in this order, CRUISER, SPORTBIKE, Other Stuff (Adventure, Motard, etc.).

The rebirth of Triumph started slowly with JAPanInc. like Sportbikes, but took off once they addressed the primary US Market - "Classics/Cruisers".

Then I think they revitalized their sport line with even better styled and built modern sports/nakeds.

And on top of that they offer a smattering of "Other" bikes too.

It's the most well rounded line-up out there that is NON-ASIAN (which, like it or not still carries a stigma in the US). So I think they appeal to such a wide range of potential customers that they have grown remarkably well and are quite a popular brand.

In contrast BMW does well basically ignoring the PRIMARY market in the US (Cruisers, though I believe I remember reading that the R1200C variants represented a short lived, but noticeable spike in their US sales when they were first introduced).

If you think of it that way, BMW is doing very well going after the smallest portions of the US market.

Ducati is just plain so narrow of focus (and still carry the stigma of expensive/difficult service) to really be a player compared to the other two. Though the Scrambler and the longer intervals they've introduced help address some of that.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline jksymz75

• Hatchling
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 06:53:16 AM »
As an owner of an '05 Bonneville I'd say because they've got classic styling that's easy on the eyes, aren't too expensive, are dependable and well-built and have the same appeal (in a sense) that an HD has in that it takes you back to a different era. On top of that they also offer modern bikes that are legitimate rivals in performance and amenities to competitors.  

I've owned several BMWs and they're amazing, capable bikes but the styling is never going to be for everyone. Ducatis are always going to be expensive and have a reputation as being finicky so that's going to weed out a lot of people.  

My Bonnie is a great everyday rider. I live in NYC and, with a few modifications, it handles these rough conditions well, doesn't use oil and barely asks for any care. And even though they're EVERYWHERE I still get compliments on my bike all the time.  
'83 LM III
'93 Ducati 900ss
'21 Honda CRF300L Rally

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 07:02:46 AM »
As an owner of an '05 Bonneville I'd say because they've got classic styling that's easy on the eyes, aren't too expensive, are dependable and well-built and have the same appeal (in a sense) that an HD has in that it takes you back to a different era. On top of that they also offer modern bikes that are legitimate rivals in performance and amenities to competitors.  

I've owned several BMWs and they're amazing, capable bikes but the styling is never going to be for everyone. Ducatis are always going to be expensive and have a reputation as being finicky so that's going to weed out a lot of people.  

My Bonnie is a great everyday rider. I live in NYC and, with a few modifications, it handles these rough conditions well, doesn't use oil and barely asks for any care. And even though they're EVERYWHERE I still get compliments on my bike all the time.  

Ditto all of that. 

My only addition would be to add that BMW's are very problem-prone.

I've owned the late model Triumphs and their reliability was excellent.

As you say, the Triumph also offers a level of performance (power) across their product line that appeals to a wide section (ages) of the motorcycle market.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 07:02:46 AM »

Offline arveno

• Gaggle Hero
    • ddleathers.com
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 07:06:15 AM »

:+1

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2015, 07:11:15 AM »
They win because they offer something different that can compete on price with the major brand dealer down the street.  

George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2015, 07:44:24 AM »

One word:  Bonneville.  (The original one)

The Current crop of Triumphs sell because of the image that the original Bonneville from the 1960s kindles in people's minds.

The New Triumph company didn't really take off until the New Bonneville was introduced in 2001, and it quickly became their top seller.

Yes, they've broadened their line and their market, but it's all thanks to Bonneville.

FWIW, "top selling Euro brand in North America" adds up to what?  400 to 500 units per month?  Maybe less.

Harley and Honda are not shaking in their boots over this news...
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2015, 07:51:05 AM »
right, a 16% increase over the 100 you sold last year is pretty easy.
also the dealers were dumping leftover 2013-14 bike because the 2015's were on the floor.
that being said my 2008 1050 Tiger might be the best bike I've owned out of over 40 (10 were Guzzi's' 2 still are) I was all set to buy a new 800 Tiger this spring but living in Gainesville Ga. my choice of dealers is a 2 hour drive through Atlanta or drive 100 miles to the next closest 2 dealers. Crap! Atlanta is Triumphs home in the US and they can't even keep a dealer near it. that tells me something.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

tianmck

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2015, 08:14:02 AM »
 We were going to buy an Aprilla Caponord (at least a Piaggio product) but became totally put off when the local Guzzi dealer screwed me .We defaulted to a Tiger XC 1200 from a MUCH better dealer and have never looked back. We considered buying in Toronto but no local service options made us consider local options. Past experience with Triumph made the choice pretty easy. Good bikes.

Offline GearheadGrrrl

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2015, 08:23:40 AM »
Triumph is doing well because they offer value per dollar and have more dealerships... Might be a good model for Guzzi to follow?
Guzzi: Quota with Motorvation 'hack
BMWs: F800S, R100GS, R80ST with Motorvation Spyder 'hack, R65LS
Hacks: Motovation Spyder and Formula II
Buell: M2L, RIP Buell Motors Corporation
Yamaha: MX250 $25 auction find, "static display" for now, XS650 "on loan" from my brother, 'nother "static displa

Offline Buckturgidson

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2015, 08:24:00 AM »
IMO triples are amazing, twins boring.
"It's not your job to be as confused as Nigel." -Spinal Tap.
"Wagner's music is better than it sounds." -Mark Twain

'86 Yamaha SRX-6
'07 Norge, Rosina, the classy one

dilligaf

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2015, 08:25:17 AM »
Our first motorcycle was a 1959 Triumph Bonneville.  To this day any time my wife sees a Triumph the first words out of her mouth are "now that is what a motorcycle should look like".  When it comes to name I suspect Triumph is right up there with Harley when it comes to us older folks. Could that have something to do with it?  :BEER:
Matt

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2015, 08:28:38 AM »
Our first motorcycle was a 1959 Triumph Bonneville.  To this day any time my wife sees a Triumph the first words out of her mouth are "now that is what a motorcycle should look like".  When it comes to name I suspect Triumph is right up there with Harley when it comes to us older folks. Could that have something to do with it?  :BEER:
Matt

I agree.  "Harley", "Indian", and "Triumph" are the three big names in American motorcycling.  Regardless of actual sales volume.

New Bonneville sold like hotcakes because of the classic look and name recognition, instantly doubling the volume of the company.

That has allowed New Triumph to continually diversify their lineup, but Bonneville is still the biggie for name and brand recognition.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

andrewdonald1

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2015, 08:37:15 AM »
Good couple articles to read about the motorcycle brands and the market place.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2015/05/motorcycle-reliability-and-owner-satisfaction/index.htm

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2015, 08:39:57 AM »
Triumph is big with young riders. Probably the name. This bodes well for the future...
Land Speed Records w/Guzzzi:
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH
http://gjm.site90.com/mtiberio

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2015, 09:27:42 AM »
I know it's heresy to say out loud, but I think the Bonne is so freakin ugly.. Even the Asian retro standards that ape the Bonne are better looking than the real thing. The Thruxton is ok I guess but that's the only one that appeals to me.

Actually I think just about every bike Triumph makes is ugly..

Tho the Tiger is interesting to me, esp the 800ish CC one...

I will say two of the coolest Triumphs I've seen were posted on this board.. Rough Edge's old 60's (I think) Bonne...  And someone else has recently got a sort of 'late model big red standard' that he's been sorting out and posting pics..

:shrug
I like Italian motos, French bicycles, Japanese cars, and Spanish women! :beer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline molly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2015, 10:02:10 AM »

My Tiger 1050 Sport. Sorry not available in the States.
Not as soulful as the Guzzi but pretty damn fine all the same.
Dave

Lincolnshire, U.K.

Griso 1100

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2015, 10:08:30 AM »
Bravo, Triumph!

The Modern Classics are not just popular with young people and hipsters. They are popular with older people, too. They are readily available, they look good, they ride very easily, and they are not terribly expensive. In addition to a good dealership network, there is a huge after market. Even though our bikes were made in Thailand (the motors were made in England), my wife bought a 2013 Bonneville SE, and I bought a 2014 Thruxton, before we even considered Moto Guzzi. If we had known about Moto Guzzis, we might have bought two V7s instead (a Stone for her and a Racer for me).

Here's my Thruxton after I fiddled with it a bit, but before adding fork gaiters:

2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2015, 10:13:11 AM »
Triumph paid attention and fixed their early manufacturing problems. A friend that was a multi brand dealer when Triumph first started said, "They're 10% of our sales, and 70% of our problems." Typical stuff that you still see on Guzzis occasionally, engineering and manufacturing apparently not talking to each other.  ::) He dropped them at that time..
It didn't take long for them to get their act together, though, and they have been building a fine product for years.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline segesta

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2015, 10:15:27 AM »
Just to pile on: inexpensive, low seat height for women, and riding the wave of retro/cafe-look. Plus Triumph, as a brand, is considered cool. People want the t-shirts etc.
--
2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom
2013 Ducati Monster 796
2010 BMW K1300GT

Offline Vince in Milwaukee

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2015, 10:40:36 AM »
I'm just going to second what everyone else has been saying - retro coolness in spades, good dealer network, nice looking machines, etc...When Triumph came back to the states in 94 or 95, and put out the Speed Triple in fireball orange, it was love at first sight.  I'd be hard pressed not to buy one if it came up locally. Oh yeah, also being a self proclaimed Euro snob (although I do love the new Indian), Triumph is just the logical choice.  BMW and Ducati are too expensive and Moto Guzzi and Aprilia are too elusive. 
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 10:45:45 AM by Vince in Milwaukee »
1984 Moto Guzzi 850 LeMans III, 1986 California II
Gone but not forgotten:
1969 Moto Guzzi Ambo, 1994 BMW K75RTw/ABS, 1996 BMW R1100RT, and 1993 BMW K75

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2015, 11:00:27 AM »
  Triumph also has a really good parts and service network , maybe better than HD or Honda .

:o

REALLY - there's no WAY you have a fraction of the options of OEM and aftermarket parts for a Triumph... no WAY ...

Though I give you at least the dealers might not have to order in a freakin' bolt or gasket...

Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2015, 11:26:18 AM »
Triumphs are also in big with the Street Hooligan Crowd.

Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

biking sailor

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2015, 12:11:48 PM »
Triumphs are also in big with the Street Hooligan Crowd.

Enough so that the Street Triple was copied by Yamaha, unfortunately the FZ09 still doesn't measure up except it is about $2K cheaper.  The Bonnies may have put them on the map, but the 675, 800, 1200, and 1050 triples are keeping them there!  All in packages that appeal to the buying public.

hlmiskelly

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2015, 12:42:09 PM »
I've owned two Triumphs over the past decade, a 2007 Tiger 1050 and a 2009 Bonneville.  Both were great bikes for totally different reasons. 

The Tiger had what had to be the best engine ever made, a 1050cc triple, with a perfect torque curve providing grunt from the first twist of the throttle all the way up to the red line.  It was also gorgeous looking, though a little top heavy for a road bike, which became a problem after I broke my ankle in a non-motorcycle related accident.

I traded the Tiger for the Bonneville for two reasons; first, it was much lower and stable and, second, it offered huge opportunities for modification.  I spent the next five years making the Bonneville uniquely my own with appearance changes and engine upgrades that took me from the basic 56 hp to 71 hp.  It was a fun bike to ride, but I had reached the point where, in my humble opinion, any further modifications would detracted from the look of the bike.  So I traded it for the beautiful '15 MG Griso that now sits in my garage.

Overall, I rate Triumph design, performance and build quality as better than most Japanese companies, with Yamaha perhaps being the exception.  None of Triumphs bikes are boring, and at the end of the day, that is what counts.

Offline molly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2015, 01:10:34 PM »
Triumph is an amazing success story . Zero to fifty thousand units annually in 23 years . Well , zero not counting those Harris built Bonnevilles that we never
saw . Honda certainly became larger faster , but that was in an era when the competition had gone soft , and the demand for small bikes was at an all time high . Bloor had a vision , and a solid business plan . The new company has restored some lustre to the English manufacturing culture , and proven that a British concern not owned by the Germans or Japanese is able to compete with and even beat the established giants .

There will always be an England
 And Triumph's success proves that  ;-T

Dusty

You've got it in a nutshell. ;-T
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 01:11:17 PM by molly »
Dave

Lincolnshire, U.K.

Griso 1100

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: Re: Triumph - best selling Euro Brand in North America. Why?
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2015, 02:39:45 PM »
The Bonnies may have put them on the map, but the 675, 800, 1200, and 1050 triples are keeping them there!  All in packages that appeal to the buying public.

I'd be surprised if that was true.

I don't think the sports HELP, but they represent the minority share of the American market so I would not expect the Triumph demographic to stray too much from overall market.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

bpreynolds

Re: Re: Triumph - best selling Euro Brand in North America. Why?
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2015, 04:19:23 PM »
I'd be surprised if that was true.

I don't think the sports HELP, but they represent the minority share of the American market so I would not expect the Triumph demographic to stray too much from overall market.

I've read the Street Triple is their best selling bike worldwide.  I'd have to believe it also makes up a strong level of sales in the States as well, likely not as much as the Bonnie, but I daresay it's up there.  Or maybe not.  I ain't no statistishean nor makret analist.   ;D :D

Offline Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re:
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2015, 04:52:48 PM »
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if worldwide the sales ranking was different.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline youcanrunnaked

• Gaggle Hero
  • '03 California EV; Suzuki SV650; Suzuki DR650
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2015, 04:59:48 PM »
Three reasons:

1. Broad range of good products.  Excluding off-road bikes, they make something for everyone, and each model is a market leader in terms of performance, design, and customer satisfaction.

2. Reliability and quality.  Triumph is by far the most reliable of the Euro brands, with fit and finish to rival the best of any manufacturer.

3. No boring bikes!  Whether you want one or not, you have to admit that everything they make is interesting, a bit different, and instills pride of ownership.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 05:10:27 PM by youcanrunnaked »
"The transverse vibration is a great sensation -- hey, I think I just wrote a song!"
-- Billy Joel, Motorcyclist, 02/2012

"If Moto Guzzi were any more of a cult, you'd need a chicken."
--- Dan Neil, The Wall Street Journal, 04/19/2013

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here