Author Topic: Triumph - best selling Euro Brand in North America. Why?  (Read 18712 times)

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
Re: Triumph - best selling Euro Brand in North America. Why?
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2015, 05:03:18 PM »
I'd do another T100 in a heartbeat.  Here's a short slide show of my riding buddy, Tom, and me in 2006, riding from NE Ohio out West.  His bike was a 2001 model (very early one) .... mine was a 2003.  Neither bike skipped a beat out and back.  Mine lacked a few amenities compared to Tom's luxo Triumph!  The Bonnies fits both of us, though I'm 5'8 and Tom is over 6'0".  Both were powered by the early 790cc engines, and pulled close to 50mpg over the entire trip.  More than enough motorcycle for a road trip.

http://s115.photobucket.com/user/bcgilligan/slideshow/Riding%20Out%20West%202006

And a short video of Tom's 2001 Bonnie equipped with Triumph TOR (Triumph off Road) silencers, doing a ride-by someplace in New Mexico.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbQBFtDOK5M

« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 08:36:53 PM by ohiorider »
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

bpreynolds

Re:
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2015, 05:06:42 PM »
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if worldwide the sales ranking was different.

I guess when I think about it and this is the first time I've actually thought about it, I haven't seen another Striple in the Louisville area since I've owned mine now overy year whereas I see a Bonnie, Thurxton, or Scrambler probably once every 2 or 3 weeks.  I take back my earlier statement.  In fact, the Striple may not even be in the top 3 sales in the States. 

andrewdonald1

« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2015, 05:18:23 PM »
Here are some interesting stats according to a consumer reports study.

Reliablity by brand
Brand   Percent failed
Yamaha/Star   11%
Suzuki   12
Honda   12
Kawasaki   15
Victory   17
Harley-Davidson   26
Triumph   29
Ducati   33
BMW   40
Can-Am   42

With a larger sample size than in our previous motorcycle survey, now counting 12,300 motorcycles, we were able to add more brands and resolution this year. For this analysis, we adjusted for mileage driven over a 12-month period and estimated repair rates for 4-year-old models without a service contract.

Reliability is but one measure. We found that owner satisfaction creates a much different picture...

Owner satisfaction
Brand   Would definitely buy again
Victory   80%
Harley-Davidson   72
Honda   70
BMW   68
Can-Am   67
Ducati   66
Yamaha   65
Triumph   63
Kawasaki   59
Suzuki   58

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: Re: Triumph - best selling Euro Brand in North America. Why?
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2015, 05:27:58 PM »

Reliablity by brand
Brand   Percent failed
Yamaha/Star   11%
Suzuki   12
Honda   12
Kawasaki   15
Victory   17
Harley-Davidson   26
Triumph   29
Ducati   33
BMW   40
Can-Am   42

With a larger sample size than in our previous motorcycle survey, now counting 12,300 motorcycles, we were able to add more brands and resolution this year. For this analysis, we adjusted for mileage driven over a 12-month period and estimated repair rates for 4-year-old models without a service contract.

Reliability is but one measure. We found that owner satisfaction creates a much different picture...

Owner satisfaction
Victory   80%
Harley-Davidson   72
Honda   70
BMW   68
Can-Am   67
Ducati   66
Yamaha   65
Triumph   63
Kawasaki   59
Suzuki   58
We discussed this report some time ago and it's near useless.

It's self selected bias is because the sample starts with CR subscribers, who self report, and is limited to a mere four years with no correction for number of miles ridden per year or total miles per bike, nor any real quantification of what constitutes a failure. Is an ignition problem equal to a blown fuse or a light bulb, or peeling paint?

The only thing it shows is brand loyalty and perceived reliability mean little.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2015, 05:27:58 PM »

Offline youcanrunnaked

• Gaggle Hero
  • '03 California EV; Suzuki SV650; Suzuki DR650
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2015, 05:28:38 PM »
Relying on Consumer Reports for information about motorcycles is like relying on Popular Mechanics for advice on home decorating.
"The transverse vibration is a great sensation -- hey, I think I just wrote a song!"
-- Billy Joel, Motorcyclist, 02/2012

"If Moto Guzzi were any more of a cult, you'd need a chicken."
--- Dan Neil, The Wall Street Journal, 04/19/2013

andrewdonald1

« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2015, 05:30:55 PM »
We discussed this report some time ago and it's near useless.

It's self selected bias is because the sample starts with CR subscribers, who self report, and is limited to a mere four years with no correction for number of miles ridden per year or total miles per bike, nor any real quantification of what constitutes a failure. Is an ignition problem equal to a blown fuse or a light bulb, or peeling paint?

The only thing it shows is brand loyalty and perceived reliability mean little.

But if this reflects perception of the owner regardless of details behind it.. ultimately is it not perception that creates the sale if one has little tribal experience with a brand but considering the purchase?

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: Re: Re: Triumph - best selling Euro Brand in North America. Why?
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2015, 05:57:09 PM »
But if this reflects perception of the owner regardless of details behind it.. ultimately is it not perception that creates the sale if one has little tribal experience with a brand but considering the purchase?

Firstly it only reflects the perception of the owner who also reads CR.

But more importantly doesn't it show that even the CR owners (who you would expect to be most likely to care about reliability data) don't seem to actually care about reliability data.

No?
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2015, 06:00:22 PM »

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Owner satisfaction
Victory   80%
Harley-Davidson   72
Honda   70
BMW   68
Can-Am   67
Ducati   66
Yamaha   65
Triumph   63
Kawasaki   59
Suzuki   58

I think this list must be upside down.........               :bike
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2015, 06:13:40 PM »
Maybe this is from the Australian version of CR  ::)

Dusty

Dusty,  you and Landis are okay. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Orange Guzzi

« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2015, 06:18:56 PM »
I walked into a local Triumph shop while looking for a specific bike.  The salesman said he did not have the bike.  I told him that I was actually looking for a Moto Guzzi Aluminium or Titanium, but could not find one locally.  He gave me a funny look and responded, I want that Triumph over there, but my wife will not let me buy it until I sell my Moto Guzzi Aluminium in storage upstairs.  Thanks to him, I have stayed on Wildguzzi, make post with poor speaking and spelling skills, make comments that are not acceptable to board donors, make suggestion on repairs, post useless comments and attend rallies.  So if someone would buy my Moto Guzzi, I would go by a brand-x bike and go away.  Would I own a Triumph, sure.  I like the Speed Triple line and the old school Thunder Bird.  Even though the components are made in Japan, Taiwan,Thailand and other countries.  Assembled in England.  

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2015, 06:45:50 PM »
 New Triumphs are nice machines... Retro? to me not really ,far too wide and tall but they do have a style of their own .

lucydad

« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2015, 07:31:48 PM »
Huh, I had no idea. 

Well, I bought a Triumph about a month ago.  The triple engine is simply astonishing, so is overall quality and build.  I mean the power plant is beyond anything I have ever experienced. 

Triumph as a brand evokes in me a heritage, and strong brand identity.  I have one Triumph shirt, and I will have more.  I ordered a Triumph hat and vest pin.

Mary Anne is a hoot.  No problems at 530 miles and first service this weekend.  The Bonnies are very, very pretty to my eyes, but too heavy for my small frame. But they sure sell a lot of them.  Given that, last time I rode my V7R to the big dealer where I bought my Trumpet, a guy on a Thruxton about broke his neck looking it over as I rode in, and he rode out.  heheheheh

Guzzis are rare, and special...enough said.  ;-T

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2015, 07:46:17 PM »
I've considered them as they are nice bikes at a decent price point. I went with the original Bonnie killer; a Honda CB (CB1100 vs. the older CB750). I think it's a better machine than the current Bonnie, but you couldn't tell that by sales. The current Bonnie is selling much better than the CB1100. But I think many of the reasons I picked up the CB are similar to the reason folks had for buying their Bonnie.
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2015, 07:49:08 PM »
Why? because they're great machines, I've been flogging the shit outa mine since 2006. It's been great!

Still enjoy the two old LeMans' but the tiger's been great!

js in Mo.

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag65/guzzistajohn/hulstonmill022_zpsec3bd433.jpg
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 07:54:13 PM by Guzzistajohn »
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Online Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2015, 09:46:18 PM »
I love my Trumpet. this Is my second one and it's been as reliable as an anvil.
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

bpreynolds

« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2015, 10:18:39 PM »
I love my Trumpet. this Is my second one and it's been as reliable as an anvil.

Personlly, I think that is one of the nicest faired motorcycles ever produced.  Just gorgeous.  There was a yellow and black one with low miles and in good overall condition that I took trailer to see last year and was ready to buy.  Remember I am about 140lbs. stinking, soaking wet.  I drooled all over my boots; yet, I was just too worried the bike was too big for my puny frame.  Man oh man was it gorgeous and gave the impression of being built like a tank.  Awesome.

Plus Triumph, as a brand, is considered cool. People want the t-shirts etc.

So true.  Well before I owned any Triumph my wife - who could give less even than a damn about motorcycles overall - pined for a Triumph shirt and kept saying how much "cuter" they were than the Guzzi shirts I had.   :P
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 10:20:08 PM by bpreynolds »

montelatici

« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2015, 10:55:19 PM »
I owned a 67 Bonneville.  Nice bike.

Online Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2015, 11:23:31 PM »
A Thunderbird Sport or a early speed triple (in fireball orange) would have been my second choice. The T-bird sport seems to be holding it's value better than any other early Trumpy.
Personlly, I think that is one of the nicest faired motorcycles ever produced.  Just gorgeous.  There was a yellow and black one with low miles and in good overall condition that I took trailer to see last year and was ready to buy.  Remember I am about 140lbs. stinking, soaking wet.  I drooled all over my boots; yet, I was just too worried the bike was too big for my puny frame.  Man oh man was it gorgeous and gave the impression of being built like a tank.  Awesome.
I can't feel to bad for you... I have the opposite problem. ;) Any ducati makes me look like a circus bear on a unicycle. They don't make sport bikes for the big and tall crowd anymore.
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2015, 09:30:07 AM »
"....early speed triple (in fireball orange) would have been my second choice."

Always liked those bikes and I prefer the single head light over the animated version.

I test road a late model Triumph Daytona and it was extremely uncomfortable, way worse than my Guzzi Daytona.

Honestly, I have no interest in buying one of their bikes and I guess its from owning a Norton for so many years.  8)
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2015, 09:37:42 AM »
We had one of the orange Triple Challenge racebikes go through our shop back in the late 1990s.

I'd have liked to have bought it.  The guy that did buy it rode the Hell out of it and really enjoyed it.

Another friend still has his black '96 Speed Triple and will probably never sell it.

The T300 series were really nice machines.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

dilligaf

« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2015, 11:08:56 AM »
Our local Triumph dealer dropped Triumph brand and replaced it with Indian.  :(  Wonder how it working out?  :BEER:
Matt

ponti_33609

« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2015, 11:19:47 AM »
Many knowledgeable Triumph guys here.  Dumb Triumph question of the day.

Is the "fake" carb's  on the new bikes simply the equivalent for them as the "7" plates that are on the V7 Racers?  Those Triumph folks can't be fans?

LongRanger

« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2015, 01:52:33 PM »
One of the BMW dealers in Denver added Triumph several years ago. They claim it keeps them in business.

lucydad

« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2015, 06:03:02 PM »
Triumphs are cool because I bought one... ::)

Offline molly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2015, 04:11:35 AM »
I always amazed how popular the new Bonnies are, nostalgia must still play a big part in people's buying decisions.
I caught the tail end of the old Meridan Bonnies in the late seventies. Compared to the Japanese bikes of the time they were slow and unreliable. I never felt the need to own one and avoided long trips with guys on their Triumphs and Nortons because there was a good chance you would be spending time spannering beside the road at some stage.
The old school for years clung to the excuse their Brit bikes handled better and so justified the aggro of ownership. But the old line  'I can't make the rally because the crankcases are in the oven' started wearing a bit thin after a while and did nothing to endear me to the idea of owning one.
Fair play to the new Bonnie models they are a world away from the seventies bikes but the looks have a negative effect on me.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 05:31:41 AM by molly »
Dave

Lincolnshire, U.K.

Griso 1100

dilligaf

« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2015, 06:45:52 AM »
Well Molly I use to fell the same way when riding my Bonneville  with my Harley riding friends.  Had fun but compared to them well you get the idea.  Never wanted a Harley after that.   ;D  :BEER:
Matt 

biking sailor

« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2015, 07:14:04 AM »
When I was introduced to motorcycles, 40 something years ago, the Japanese bikes were taking over and if it didn't have knobbies and a high front fender, well it had no interest for me.  So I never experienced the Euro bike thing.  Only idea I had about Triumphs were second hand stories of something I had no knowledge of.

In the 80's I got my first street bike but even then never considered anything but Japanese (Yes, I fell into the GPZ craze!)

Today I have a new first year Thruxton, just because of the old school looks and riding experience, and garage a Street Triple R, my son's bike but my name is on the title and I have a key.   ~;   Those two bikes are actually pretty reliable and both a blast to ride for totally different reasons. 

I know the two Triumph shops I frequent sell a lot of Bonnies (scrambler and Thruxton included), but they are moving a bunch of new triples too.  OKC (flat land?) seems to sell more Tigers than the sport bikes and if you go by what Eurotek (dealer for BMW, Triumph, Ducati) sales guy told me, the Tigers, 800 and 1200, are about equal to the Bonnies.  They just started offering Ducati, so will have to see how that affects their sales.  Around here, I see quite a few Triumph triples blasting down the straight, flat two lanes.

Arkansas is only a few hours away, thank goodness!!!!

Offline Buckturgidson

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2015, 07:51:46 AM »

My Tiger 1050 Sport. Sorry not available in the States.
Not as soulful as the Guzzi but pretty damn fine all the same.

Is it just me, or do the multitude of visible bolts on the engine case distract others? My bud has a Street Triple, would lose my license in 2 months if I rode it.
"It's not your job to be as confused as Nigel." -Spinal Tap.
"Wagner's music is better than it sounds." -Mark Twain

'86 Yamaha SRX-6
'07 Norge, Rosina, the classy one

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2015, 07:52:53 AM »
Hey Darren you should bring the thruxton to the rat raid in jasper.

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2015, 07:55:40 AM »
Is it just me, or do the multitude of visible bolts on the engine case distract others? My bud has a Street Triple, would lose my license in 2 months if I rode it.
[/quote

Can't see 'em from the seat and don't care what others think!

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here