Author Topic: Triumph - best selling Euro Brand in North America. Why?  (Read 18781 times)

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: Re: Triumph - best selling Euro Brand in North America. Why?
« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2015, 07:59:16 AM »
I always amazed how popular the new Bonnies are, nostalgia must still play a big part in people's buying decisions.

I don't know, I wasn't really aware of Triumph as a kid and my wife certainly never saw a Bonnie before the modern neo-classics.

Instead of nostalgia, maybe it's just a simple, honest, appealing design?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 08:30:44 AM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline youcanrunnaked

• Gaggle Hero
  • '03 California EV; Suzuki SV650; Suzuki DR650
Re: Triumph - best selling Euro Brand in North America. Why?
« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2015, 08:08:52 AM »
Thinking about it, I don't think I've ever had a bad experience riding a Hinckley Triumph.  While I don't own one now, it is very likely that someday I will.

Demo Truck at a local dealership (four years ago?) -- Rode a 1050 Tiger and a Thunderbird, two-up with my gf.  The Tiger was the best two-up machine I had ever ridden; with the Thunderbird a close second.  The Tiger's 1050 triple was a superb engine, while the T-Bird's parallel twin was a nice change of pace from the typical cruiser v-twin.  The Tiger did everything right, while the T-Bird was the best cruiser I had ever ridden (until the California 1400).  Getting either of these or something similar became moot when my gf got her own motorcycle; now she doesn't want to ride as a passenger.

Bike Week (maybe three years ago) -- Rode a Thunderbird Sport and a Street Triple R.  While my enthusiasm for the T-Bird faded, the Striple was a revelation.  I immediately felt at home on that bike; it reminded me of my SV, only better in every way.  In addition to the superb 3-cylinder engine, I really liked the combination of precise handling and forward riding position.  At speed, the bike seemed to disappear beneath me, leaving only the view of the road and the sensation of speed.  All I could think of was that this must be what flying with a jet pack must feel like.  If money was no object, the Street Triple R would have replaced my SV, but in addition to really liking my SV, that bike is paid for, and never gives me any trouble, so I have a hard time justifying replacing it with anything else.  (My gf rode a Bonneville SE at this event, and really liked it.  I think if she ever grows bored with her Ninja, either a Bonneville or a Ducati Monster will be her next bike.)

Demo Truck at a local dealership (probably two years ago) --Rode a Tiger 800XC and came very close to buying one.  A really superb motorcycle, but I was hesitant because the bike was a new model, plus it got some criticism in the press for its middling off-road performance.  The test ride was strictly on-road, so a leap of faith was required; I didn't jump.  Instead, I decided to work on my off-road riding skills at a lower entry price; I bought a used Suzuki DR650.  I still think that want an adv bike as my next touring rig, so I am encouraged that the Tiger 800 has developed a good reputation for reliability, and that Triumph has revamped the mid-size Tiger for 2015.  With its new Tiger 800XCx, it looks like Triumph has addressed all of the criticisms of the first gen Tiger 800XC.  I am looking forward to reading some comparison tests of the Tiger 800XCx against the BMW F800GS.  

To me, the new Tigers illustrate what another poster pointed out about Triumph -- that the company listens to suggestions and criticisms about its products, and does not hesitate to revise them accordingly.  IMO, it is that kind of dedication to continuous product improvement that allows Triumph to thrive as a relatively low-volume motorcycle manufacturer.  Piaggio Group would do well to take note of this.
"The transverse vibration is a great sensation -- hey, I think I just wrote a song!"
-- Billy Joel, Motorcyclist, 02/2012

"If Moto Guzzi were any more of a cult, you'd need a chicken."
--- Dan Neil, The Wall Street Journal, 04/19/2013

56Pan

« Reply #62 on: April 17, 2015, 09:40:22 AM »
Well Molly I use to fell the same way when riding my Bonneville  with my Harley riding friends.  Had fun but compared to them well you get the idea.  Never wanted a Harley after that.   ;D  :BEER:
Matt 

Way to enjoy riding a Harley is to never ride with anybody else who rides one.  Works for me.

Offline roadscum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #63 on: April 17, 2015, 10:06:42 AM »
I've owned two Triumphs over the past decade, a 2007 Tiger 1050 and a 2009 Bonneville.  Both were great bikes for totally different reasons. 

The Tiger had what had to be the best engine ever made, a 1050cc triple, with a perfect torque curve providing grunt from the first twist of the throttle all the way up to the red line.  It was also gorgeous looking, though a little top heavy for a road bike, which became a problem after I broke my ankle in a non-motorcycle related accident.

I traded the Tiger for the Bonneville for two reasons; first, it was much lower and stable and, second, it offered huge opportunities for modification.  I spent the next five years making the Bonneville uniquely my own with appearance changes and engine upgrades that took me from the basic 56 hp to 71 hp.  It was a fun bike to ride, but I had reached the point where, in my humble opinion, any further modifications would detracted from the look of the bike.  So I traded it for the beautiful '15 MG Griso that now sits in my garage.

Overall, I rate Triumph design, performance and build quality as better than most Japanese companies, with Yamaha perhaps being the exception.  None of Triumphs bikes are boring, and at the end of the day, that is what counts.

Damn nice Bonneville ya got!!!

I owned a '09 Scrambler but much prefer the 360 motor of the Bonnneville.

Until recently Triumph had the only triple available in the US and that drove sales in the naked and adventure category. Now Yamaha has brought naked and sport tourer and are garnering great reviews, I've had a demo ride on a FZ-09 and like the motor better the the triples on my Daytona 675 or Tiger 800 XC.....

The two nearest dealers have dropped the Triumph line recently because they say it was difficult to deal with Triumph USA. seems they had no say in the bikes they received from Triumph and because of issues with warranty support. We'll how long they maintain their number 1 position.....

Paul
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing " - Socrates

Paul M. in SW Florida: 318 miles, 11 curves and not a Guzzi dealer in sight!

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: April 17, 2015, 10:06:42 AM »

dilligaf

« Reply #64 on: April 17, 2015, 10:26:00 AM »
Way to enjoy riding a Harley is to never ride with anybody else who rides one.  Works for me.

It was late Summer early Fall of 1959 and my friends and I, about 6 of us, would go riding most afternoons.  I was the only one that didn't have a Harley.  I soon learned to wait until the last Harley was started before starting my Triumph.  One kick, that was all, one kick.  If it didn't start on the first kick something was wrong.  Then someone would run out of gas.  In those days, gas stations were closed by 2000.  The fad was gas tanks that held about a gallon of gas.  I soon learned my friends idea of riding a motorcycle and my idea were not the same. Come Saturday morning I soon learned riding alone was far more enjoyable than watching my friends kicking and fixing. To this day when I look at a Harley my memories from 55 years ago and much as I know they are a very dependable motorcycles but, naw, wouldn't trust that thing to get out of the driveway.  

Road that Bonneville from Groton, Connecticut to Tampa, FL and back to Norfolk, VA and the only problem was a bent exhaust valve due to a missed shift at the drag strip in Tampa.   :BEER:
Matt

Offline molly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2015, 10:47:13 AM »
Is it just me, or do the multitude of visible bolts on the engine case distract others? My bud has a Street Triple, would lose my license in 2 months if I rode it.

The bolts are made of unobtanium and are the only ones that can hold the warp drive in place. :BEER:
Dave

Lincolnshire, U.K.

Griso 1100

bpreynolds

« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2015, 11:38:05 AM »
The bolts are made of unobtanium and are the only ones that can hold the warp drive in place. :BEER:

Actually, in honor of their fellow English countryman, 007, they bullet ends that shoot choppers.   :D

biking sailor

« Reply #67 on: April 17, 2015, 11:55:40 AM »
Hey Darren you should bring the thruxton to the rat raid in jasper.

Rather bring the Street Triple R!   ~;

Online Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #68 on: April 17, 2015, 11:57:13 AM »
Rather bring the Street Triple R!   ~;

Ok! Do it!
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

bpreynolds

« Reply #69 on: April 17, 2015, 12:28:27 PM »

Always liked those bikes and I prefer the single head light over the animated version.

Yah.  Those dual headlights put out a wonderful amount of ray, and they are quite distinctively Triumph; however, I could not warm to them on my Striple and just this week I ordered the now in production single headlight Motodemic conversion that should ship out on April 30th.  Every single time I get off the bike I almost step away from it and look, thinking what an amazing machine.  After conversion, it will be especially odd to look at the bike and actually too think, Damn that bike looks good  ;D

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here