Author Topic: Flo Oil Filters  (Read 22042 times)

Offline Bonafide Bob

• Gosling
Flo Oil Filters
« on: May 13, 2015, 04:53:21 AM »
 I have been using one of these on my Harley for several years with great results, I really like the ideal of being able to inspect what if any thing the filter is catching. What are your opinions of using one on my Stelvio?

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/flo-oil-filter/

We have freedom of speech, as long as we don't say to much.

Vasco DG

Re: Flo Oil Filters
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 05:02:30 AM »
Oh for f*cks sakes! Same principal as any other non-filter. Ooh! It's re-useable, ain't that great. Well yes, if you only want to strain out rocks the size of Gibraltar. And how do you clean it of particles down to small enough not to cause damage?

Run away!

Pete

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 06:37:23 AM »
Tell us how you really feel, Pete. There was one of those on the Daytona that grenaded when I was at MGC a couple of years ago. Probably didn't have a thing to do with the filter, of course, but Mark was adamant about not putting it back together with it on there.  ;D
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Vasco DG

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 06:56:51 AM »
I have a pretty good idea why that one grenaded..... No, it wasn't the oil filter......

Pete

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 06:56:51 AM »

Offline Bonafide Bob

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 06:57:06 AM »
Oh for f*cks sakes! Same principal as any other non-filter. Ooh! It's re-useable, ain't that great. Well yes, if you only want to strain out rocks the size of Gibraltar. And how do you clean it of particles down to small enough not to cause damage?

Run away!

Pete

Did you even read what size particles it stops in the filter media before your comments?

Bob

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 07:51:33 AM »
Did you even read what size particles it stops in the filter media before your comments?

Bob

Well, 35 microns is certainly nothing special, and the big question.. how DO you clean it? Dirty solvent tank?

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

oldbike54

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 08:00:40 AM »
Well, 35 microns is certainly nothing special, and the big question.. how DO you clean it? Dirty solvent tank?

The maker claims 25 micron , pretty standard spec . Personally , I prefer those reusable toilet paper roll thingies  :D

Dusty

Offline JoeW

• Gaggle Hero
    • The Guzzi Doctor
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2015, 08:09:34 AM »
This may become an oil thread. I looked up oil filter micron rating and found this article...
https://www.google.com/#q=oil+filter+micron+rating
Interesting stuff but, basically 35 microns doesn't do enough to protect an engine from the most damaging particles. According to the ASE report, particles from 2 to 22 microns do the most damage.
Joe Walano

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2015, 08:13:02 AM »
The maker claims 25 micron , pretty standard spec . Personally , I prefer those reusable toilet paper roll thingies  :D

Dusty

The surgical grade (claimed) 304 stainless steel mesh filter media in the Flo Oil Filters is rated to filter down to 35 micron size particles

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline earemike

• Lurker
  • Gosling
    • A place for me to park on the web
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2015, 08:43:07 AM »
Interesting & looks kinda cool but isn't it easier to swap out an oil filter/cartridge?

I'm a muppet that would wash it out with petrol & air drying it before priming. Sounds like too much effort for too little.

That said I don't mind a K&N/BMC air filter but suspect the principle is the same, except air filters are more expensive.

Hmmm...
850 T3
850 LeMans killer goose or somesutch I’m told
850 LeMans
850 LeMans II (I've butchered it by fitting a round headlight & removing the front faring.)
SP1000 Stucchi
V11 Ballabio
V7 Sport (needs a little work)

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2015, 09:05:25 AM »
If the goal is to see what the filter is catching wouldn't it be easy enough to just cut a regular filter apart?  You can buy a device designed to do just that.  Rather than go to all that trouble I send my oil to Blackstone for analysis.  That way I know exactly what metals are circulating and if it's enough to cause concern.  With the talk of flat tappet problems in the past I see this as a prudent early warning.  BTW, my last analysis came back looking really good at 23K miles.

Peter Y.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Offline kevinkaren2011

• New Egg
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2015, 09:48:49 AM »
Personally I want my filter ''factory fresh'' and the smallest of contaminates taken out. I can always cut my filter apart to see what's up. But then what am I looking at?. I need to be a metallurgist with a microscope to tell what the black or silver films are.

The canister type filter would be OK to look at the cartridge to get ''a base line'' for visual inspection to tell if a change in the oil occurred.

If you are concerned about the engine do like Pyoungbl does and send it in to be analyzed.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2015, 10:23:57 AM »
WHY would I use some sort of oddball oil filter that may or may not be the right one for my engine in terms of bypass pressure, filter size, and flow rate?

Just so I can be an "Insider" and say "Yeah, I'm using some technology you guys don't know about on MY bike ...." ?

Maybe go to the site that has the testimonials from the guys who have 100K, 200K, or 500K miles on their Guzzi engine and find out what they use?    You mean they don't use some whiz-bang something-special oil and super-zoot filters?   AMAZING!   How do they do it ..... ?

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline ken farr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2015, 10:46:59 AM »

Bob

I have a friend-former co-worker who uses that or a very similar filter on his H.D.  He sings its praises, but I can buy a lot of regular filters for the price without any real benefit.

IMHO YMMV

( I think you may have stepped into a small pile, wipe it off and step around, don't track through the house or Pete may use language you  won't understand. )

kjf
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 10:49:12 AM by ken farr »
ken farr
06 B1100 - click!
Fillmore, Ca.

Offline jcctx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2015, 11:10:39 AM »
Warning, pot stirring~~ This reminds me of the Fram hating crowd (note ; I am AMPHIBIOUS on the subject ;D)! Let the discussion begin??
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 11:13:01 AM by jcctx »

Vasco DG

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2015, 11:46:49 AM »
If you really want to protect your engine perhaps you could use it in conjunction with an 'Oil Cooler Dipstick'. Jeez! I haven't seen those bits of junk advertised for a while! Are any charlatans still spruiking them on fleabay? I should go and check for a laugh..... ;D

Yay! Not for a Guzzi but even so.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Honda-CB500-Vintage-Red-Wing-ISOCYCLE-Oil-Cooler-Dipstick-CB-500-Motorcycle-/251957606874?hash=item3aa9d7f9da&vxp=mtr

Priceless!

Pete

« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 11:52:31 AM by Vasco DG »

Offline Bonafide Bob

• Gosling
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2015, 03:11:00 PM »
Thanks for all replies, I was hoping someone had done some in depth research on them and would be able to shine some light on the subject. I can say my 06 Harley has just a tad under 100,000 mile on it with 60,000 of those miles with a Flo Oil filter and it is still running strong. I have always cleaned it with carb cleaner and blow it dry from the inside out with compressed air. I have read recently of folks using ultra sonic to clean them.

It seems Oil filters are a touchy subject on this forum, I ask other places to gather the information I am seeking.

Respects
   Bob

« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 03:38:30 PM by Bonafide Bob »

redrider

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2015, 03:13:55 PM »
Shoot, I can install a couple of splitfire plugs along with the intake turbo swirl vortex generators and watch the fuel rise in the tank. :D

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2015, 03:48:38 PM »
It seems Oil filters are a touchy subject on this forum, I ask other places to gather the information I am seeking.
Sounds to me that you didn't get the replies you were wanting.  ;D :BEER:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Bonafide Bob

• Gosling
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2015, 03:55:53 PM »
Sounds to me that you didn't get the replies you were wanting.  ;D :BEER:

No, I didn't, but that's okay it is not the first time in my almost 72 years. ;-)

Bob

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2015, 03:57:02 PM »

Respects
   Bob

You sought "Opinions".   You got opinions.   I don't think that anyone on this list, or any other, has a PhD in Oil Filter Performance ....

As Chuck said, I don't think you got the opinions that supported the position that you'd like to take.   No problem; if you keep asking everywhere, you'll eventually find some opinions that coincide with yours ...

Lannis

Offline Waltr

• Gaggle Mentor
    • Europa Macchina
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2015, 04:07:56 PM »
  Same as the K&P oil filters.  Do not hold pressure as with the better filters out there.  Bound to set a bunch of codes for low oil pressure at start up.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
www.motoguzzipa.com

2012 Norge

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2015, 04:09:08 PM »

http://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2345648
Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

Offline Bonafide Bob

• Gosling
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2015, 04:12:13 PM »
You sought "Opinions".   You got opinions.   I don't think that anyone on this list, or any other, has a PhD in Oil Filter Performance ....

As Chuck said, I don't think you got the opinions that supported the position that you'd like to take.   No problem; if you keep asking everywhere, you'll eventually find some opinions that coincide with yours ...

Lannis

Different opinions are appreciated that is how we learn,  I just would like to hear from someone who it well versed on the subject that is why I asked the question.
  Thanks for your reply.
Bob  

Offline Bonafide Bob

• Gosling
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2015, 04:14:45 PM »
  Same as the K&P oil filters.  Do not hold pressure as with the better filters out there.  Bound to set a bunch of codes for low oil pressure at start up.

Thanks for the reply.

Bob

Offline Bonafide Bob

• Gosling

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2015, 04:20:41 PM »
Different opinions are appreciated that is how we learn,  I just would like to hear from someone who it well versed on the subject that is why I asked the question.
  Thanks for your reply.
Bob  

You're very welcome.

If Pete "Vasco" Roper isn't "well versed" on what sort of filter ought to be used on a modern Moto Guzzi engine, who do you think IS "well versed"?   If Chuck in Indiana (although he's a year short of having your time-in-grade) with all the engines he's built and maintained for motorcycles and aircraft in the last 50 years isn't "well versed", what kind of credentials do you need?

I think Mr. Jack Purolator is retired and doesn't answer emails now, and Bobby Wix passed away last year ... Heck, I have 35,000 miles on my Stelvio, I might be approaching "versed" status for what works (coughcoughUFIcoughc ough) .....

Lannis

Offline Bonafide Bob

• Gosling
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2015, 04:22:11 PM »

Lannis

I don't have a position, other than I like the filter on my Harley. I'm new to Moto Guzzi and don't know how it's oiling system works and it filter requirements, I hoped to learn that here.
Thanks Bob
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 04:28:31 PM by Bonafide Bob »

Offline Bonafide Bob

• Gosling
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2015, 04:26:17 PM »
You're very welcome.

If Pete "Vasco" Roper isn't "well versed" on what sort of filter ought to be used on a modern Moto Guzzi engine, who do you think IS "well versed"?   If Chuck in Indiana (although he's a year short of having your time-in-grade) with all the engines he's built and maintained for motorcycles and aircraft in the last 50 years isn't "well versed", what kind of credentials do you need?

I think Mr. Jack Purolator is retired and doesn't answer emails now, and Bobby Wix passed away last year ... Heck, I have 35,000 miles on my Stelvio, I might be approaching "versed" status for what works (coughcoughUFIcoughc ough) .....

Lannis
  I am new on this forum and don't know one person from the other, I don't mean disrespect to anyone.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2015, 05:06:17 PM »
  I am new on this forum and don't know one person from the other, I don't mean disrespect to anyone.

Not really a matter of "disrespect" - we all give Pete an ungodly hard time every once in a while.

It's that it's going to hard for ANYONE to provide any meaningful opinion to "I have an aftermarket non-standard oil filter on my Harley.   Do you think I would like it on my Stelvio?"

Everyone's wondering why you just wouldn't use the standard oil filter on both bikes, I suppose.   But you've probably had enough by now, so I'll hush.

Lannis

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here