Author Topic: Bellagio 940 Cafe Racer Evolution  (Read 18287 times)

Offline Calijackalbob

• Hatchling
  • The BEST looking Jackal in Singapore.
    • ZDK Elite Karate & Kickboxing
Bellagio 940 Cafe Racer Evolution
« on: November 01, 2015, 11:31:35 AM »
Intro. My back story.........

Ive been sporadic, posting bits and pieces, doubling up posts and stuff, in this and other guzzi forums............. time to start a dedicated page for my Moto Guzzi Bellagio Cafe Racer Evolution.

Hi.
My name's Peter - Cali Jackal Bob.
I've owned over 100 bikes. Started riding at 10 or so years old with a "Grand Prix" - home made minibike with a pull start lawn, mower engine. Great memories of that bike, like when I did a jump and one of the handlebars snapped off when I landed,.... still managed to stay upright! Other dirtbike riders saw and expressed their amazement. Apparently I'd got about 10 feet of air under me before I touched down. They were not so brave to fly so high. (
I also Got run off the road by cops, who nearly drove me off a cliff! After the "GP" I moved onto a Honda Cr 125 Elsinore 2 stroke which was too much for me at the time, so I swapped it for a Honda XR75. That was fun. I did a long jump one day, about 20 feet airborne and when I touched down, the nuts that held the seat on came loose and the seat fell off mid air which resulted into a nut crunching landing.

Anyway, followed up with (not in this order) among others, Suzuki DR175, Honda CB750,

image hosting for websites

CG125, cb125, 250, 400, 900, CX500,

ST1100, Kawasaki Gt750, Z250, Z400, Z750, Z650, Z1100b, Zephyr 750, VN1500,

how to upload a picture to the internet

Yamaha Xj900,

Xs250, 400, 650, ......

upload images

all Jap bikes til my BMW R11001R which I bought for all the wrong reasons, just because I hadn't had one before. had an interesting boxer engine and I could afford it.

img safe free image host

It wasn't the most sexy bike, but it was reliable. It was a great bike and I loved it, as I did all my bikes before, but I wasn't IN LOVE with it.

I got sideswiped by a dickhead in a car who decided he wanted to be in the space i was riding in more than I was entitled to it. Killed the BMW, busted my foot and collarbone and left me looking for a replacement. My criteria for a new bike were, must be big. Large capacity engine, impressive, different, a head turner, plenty of power........ I looked at Triumph Rocket 3, Honda Valkyrie, an ST1100 streetfighter, Vmax, Yamaha MT01, (love the V Twin and sporty Muscle bike look) but wanted to do a cafe racer. Can you imagine a Valkyrie with Clip ons and a bum stop seat?

Anyway. I bought a Moto Guzzi Jackal, fully intending to make it into a cafe racer, but the draconian laws in this country make any "unapproved" modifications (whether they Improve the bikes handling or safety or not) punishable by jail or ridiculous fines, made me rethink screwing with the Jackal. That's ok though. I soon found the California to be perfect the way it was. (after stripping off the touring saddlebags and fly screen.) I didn't have the heart to meddle with perfection. I was smitten. I loved the Jackal, but more importantly, I was in LOVE with it.
..... so It became a Bobber.

gif upload

I got the Guzzi Virus. I was in LOVE, infected, addicted, totally enarmoured of the Moto Guzzi brand and as the "Harpers Guzzi" Tshirt says,.... Guzzis are like potato chips,.... you cant just have one."

I rediscovered my (Fleeting back then, ) admiration of the Moto Guzzis I saw (few and fa between in Australia)...... the Le Mans 850, Sport 1100, V7 and all the other gorgeous Guzzis that I saw too seldom to form a real attachment to. I started looking for another Guzzi, but being in a tiny, postage stamp sized country (singapore) with less than 100 MGs on the island, there is little choice. . . . . and what is available is incredibly expensive. A new V7 Racer cost $29000 SGD. So I looked for something older. There is jack sh*t here, a hand full of Grisos, the odd Stelvio, Norge, V11s and a bunch of too expensive V7s. Nothing much on the 2nd hand market. Like I said, there are only about 100 Guzzis in the country.

Came across a 750 Breva, which I thought would be a nice cafe racer conversion,
Did a photoshop mock up,.....
[/url]

but the gearbox was stuffed. Would have cost in excess of $12000 SGD and would still have been a tired , rusty old bike....

then a mate told me of a Bellagio he knew of for sale. I went to see it on my Jackal.

so,...... being inspired by the Bellagio (and other Guzzi) Cafe Racers on the internet, I bought the Bellagio.

[url=http://ibb.co/mfjTik]

« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 12:58:34 PM by Calijackalbob »

Offline Calijackalbob

• Hatchling
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 01:22:04 PM by Calijackalbob »

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
Re: Bellagio 940 Cafe Racer Evolution
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2015, 12:12:06 PM »
 :popcorn:

in fo sho
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline Calijackalbob

• Hatchling
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 08:57:57 PM »
I did consider alloy tanks on ebay, out of India that look great and very cheap too.

The issue is that alloy tanks don't have a place for an internal fuel pump, so if you put one on, you'll have to switch to external, find somewhere to put it,...... and then you've lost your fuel level sensor. That's why I finally decided on the V7 tank. Same wiring, internal fuel pump. Less hassle.

The plastic V7 tank will fit, but the two locating rubbers don't go all the way up into the tank's slot. I had a small bracket made to lift them up, pull them back so the tank fits snug. Not a major job. It's just a 2 inch bit of flat steel with two holes drilled in.

In future Mayor of BBQ, I Will sho mo in fo and some detail pics too.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 08:57:57 PM »

Offline Calijackalbob

• Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2015, 09:08:47 PM »
An easy way to add bling to the bike is to polish up the alloy components. I have a polishing wheel on my drill and DIY it.
This is the Bellagio alternator cover as it looked when I got the bike.

It was the first thing that saw my polishing wheel.

Half an hour later.............

BLING!
Next thing to go under the brush is the top triple clamp, then the forks.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 01:34:31 PM by Calijackalbob »

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2015, 09:12:41 PM »
I fitted a nylon v7 tank to my v65.. I had the opposite problem from you...  I didn't need the fuel pump so I had to have a block-off plate made for it and figure out fuel delivery.

The plastic tank is pretty forgiving with the rubbers, just had to fab a simple bracket to fit the v7 tank bolt to the v65 frame. My rubbers don't hit the channels of the v7 take perfectly, but between the rubber discs and the nylon tank, it's a pretty secure friction fit.

did the rear mounting bolt on the v7 tank match up with the bellagio mount?
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline Calijackalbob

• Hatchling
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2015, 09:23:55 PM »
I fitted a nylon v7 tank to my v65.. I had the opposite problem from you...  I didn't need the fuel pump so I had to have a block-off plate made for it and figure out fuel delivery.

The plastic tank is pretty forgiving with the rubbers, just had to fab a simple bracket to fit the v7 tank bolt to the v65 frame. My rubbers don't hit the channels of the v7 take perfectly, but between the rubber discs and the nylon tank, it's a pretty secure friction fit.

did the rear mounting bolt on the v7 tank match up with the bellagio mount?

It hasn't been fitted properly yet, just test fit. Need to sort out the fuel pump, make sure it works first before committing..
The Bellagio's rear mounting bracket does work, upside down and back to front. (Want to keep the seat locating tabs on the bracket.)

Vasco DG

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2015, 10:00:59 PM »
Talk to Wayne who posts as Ghezzi here occasionally. He's active on the Ghetto. I gave I'm a steel take-off tank for his Bellagio, he'll be a good source of info on what can be done easily and not. The plastic tank will present problems I fear because of the fuel pump location. Having said that I think I have one that you can have very cheaply if you can confirm that it will work.

Pete

Offline Calijackalbob

• Hatchling
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2015, 11:59:50 AM »
I fitted a nylon v7 tank to my v65.. etc.....

Hi Mr Mayor.
I think I saw a post of your V65. Repost the pics here so we can see and compare.

Offline Calijackalbob

• Hatchling
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2015, 12:02:48 PM »
Talk to Wayne who posts as Ghezzi here occasionally. He's active on the Ghetto. I gave I'm a steel take-off tank for his Bellagio, he'll be a good source of info on what can be done easily and not. The plastic tank will present problems I fear because of the fuel pump location. Having said that I think I have one that you can have very cheaply if you can confirm that it will work.

Pete

Thanks Pete.
is it a chrome tank with badges? If so, what is "very cheaply?" I could be interested. (So could a few others on this forum.)
Peter AKA CaliJackalBob.

Offline Calijackalbob

• Hatchling
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2015, 12:15:11 PM »
................... ... seems the fuel pump is not happening. Tried soaking in carby cleaner, (which went from clear to yellow) but it still won't spin. Hopefully the Bellagio one will fit into the V7 tank.
Anyway, took off the top triple clamp, which looked good, but had a few nicks and scratches in the laquer and some corrosion rearing its frosty head. It wasn't so easy removing as expected. The ignition barrel is fixed with one allen bolt and another "security bolt" that has no head, so couldnt be removed. Had to pull out the clamp with the barrel, wrap up the wires and go to work. I spent an hour or so stripping the laquer off the top triple clamp and polishing it with a buffer wheel on my drill. A quick, cheap way to add BLING to your bike. (Would have been quicker if I could get the barrel off. Paint stripper eats plastic and rubber, so I had to be extra careful.)

Shiny as chrome now.

Every little bit counts.

Offline Calijackalbob

• Hatchling
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2015, 12:18:05 PM »
Finally wired up the number plate relocator light.

Was waiting on a new tail light to arrive from Ebay. This enabled a bit more weight, clutter shedding. Removed tht OEM tail light and rear fairing. Temporarily fitted replacement tail light under the seat.

Rear signals get (temporarily) fitted tomorrow. (ran out of wire connectors.)

When the fuel pump is sorted out, the next step is a switch to V7 Racer tank and seat then finish off the tail light, signal with permanent mounting brackets...... - See more pics at: http://s946.photobucket.com/user/Ca...eiput.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2#sthash.HibREfqT.dpuf

Vasco DG

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2015, 08:34:14 PM »
Bellagio pump won't work. The early, plastic tank the pump is at the bottom at the back. The Bellagio pump is in the wall of the tank where it fits over the frame from memory. The pick-up angle and position is all wrong so the pumps are not interchangeable.

Pete

Offline Calijackalbob

• Hatchling
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2015, 09:22:07 AM »
Bellagio 940 Cafe Racer Evolution Part 2 with a walk around and ride.

https://youtu.be/VStvljeJckI

and..... part 3, Bellagio 940 Cafe Racer Evolution
https://youtu.be/VStvljeJckI

This vid shows the problems fitting the V7 tank and seat to the Bellagio 940 Cafe Racer Evolution Project.

one issue was the V7 fuel pump was seized. Wouldn't spin, so I bit the bullet, cut the wires to the Bellagio Fuel pump and took it out to see if it would fit. What I found was scary. NO fuel filter and the pump and internal wiring were held together with bits of wire!

I mentioned this to the previous owner, who told me he twice paid to change the fuel filter. He won't be using that mechanic again.

Fortunately the pump fit into the V7 mounting plate and the V7 filter was ok, so In they went.

After a lot of screwing around, I found that to make the seat fit, I had to pull the tank back. I re-used the Bellagio tank/seat bracket, flipping it upside down and back to front, then cutting a slot into it so the lock nut could slide back. That way I could bring the tank back to fit the seat.

I had to remove a couple of rubber mounts off the seat and cut away some of the plastic underside so the seat would sit low on the frame. I also had to relocate the seat lock from under the frame plate, to the top of it, so it is high enough for the seat's (shorter) locking pin to fit in the lock.

................... and Voila. They fit perfectly.

now just waiting til monday to get a tail light/signal bracket made up so it works with the side numberplate.

In the meantime Riding it around like this.

Offline Calijackalbob

• Hatchling
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2015, 09:34:03 AM »
so,.... yesterday I got a quote from "Kenny The Bike Fabricator" to make up a bracket to fit the tail light and signals around the V7 side number plate.
Heading back there on monday to get the job done.
I asked him at the time where I could get stickers made up and he pointed me towards a shop around the corner.

Went there, told them what I wanted and this is how it went. It was interesting to watch them build up the layers.

First up a Red Chrome background to become a red border.

Then the chrome,

Black outline for the numbers,............

and finally, Red Chrome numbers.

and here's the result.

and all that only cost $50 (About $35USD.)

:grin:

Offline Calijackalbob

• Hatchling
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2016, 11:10:45 AM »

Hydrochrome tank
Picking the bike up on saturday after 3 months recuperating from this.

Roll on saturday!

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2016, 02:02:31 PM »
Ouch, that's some hardware in your hand  :shocked:

The tank looks good!

What is "Hydrochroming"?
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2016, 03:44:14 PM »
And, so far the Bella fuel pump is working OK?
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Online Joliet Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Justus Esto, Et Non Metue
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2016, 06:25:02 PM »
Nice lis franc injury looks similar to my right foot
1975 T160 Triumph Trident "Spot"
2002 Cali Stone "Moby Dick"
1998 Centauro "Psycho Chicken"
2003 Buell Blast "Pegasus"

Offline ritratto

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2016, 09:56:36 PM »
How did you get hand out of that X-ray?
1993 1000S
1978 G5
1998 Centauro ( oppsidaisy!)
2003 V11 LeMans

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2016, 10:10:16 PM »

By not looking closely enough at it to realize it was a foot.   :embarrassed:
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250

Offline CalVin2007

• fickle old fool
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2016, 10:33:37 PM »
  Hey, some of us haven't developed opposable thumbs yet!  :evil:

Terry
'07 CalVin
 '79 TT500
 '78 SR500
 '80 SR500

Offline Calijackalbob

• Hatchling
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2016, 12:15:28 PM »

Ha hahahahha ! Look and Think before you reply. Reading might help too. I did mention it was my gearchange foot somewhere......

Offline Calijackalbob

• Hatchling
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2016, 12:20:36 PM »
Ouch, that's some hardware in your hand  :shocked:

The tank looks good!

What is "Hydrochroming"?

Hydrochrome is a chemical dip, or spray on treatment that puts chrome (any colour you like) on virtually anything. Can be done on plastic, fibreglass, metal, even engine parts that don't get hotter than 700 degrees. Seen some bikes completely chromed,  (usually in colour chrome.)

Offline Calijackalbob

• Hatchling
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2016, 12:27:55 PM »
And, so far the Bella fuel pump is working OK?

Pump is working fine. Not a problem.

Quick update:
3 months off the road after my operation and I picked up the bike from Hydrochromers/painters.
Not as straightforward as I'd have liked.........The boss was not in. I couldn't wait.
Had to put the  bike together myself, fix the wiring on the tail, screw around getting the seat and tank to sit right. (they moved the critically importantly positioned tank mounting bracket.. Sigh. ) I had to put the hugger on and struggle to get the engine started. Would have helped if they put enough fuel in it.  :rolleyes:
Spent a few hours on a saturday night doing all that, then stood back and took in the pig picture. The front fender/mudguard was on backwards.  :shocked:
Washed the bike at 1am this morning and put the front mudguard on the right way round before hitting the sack, took a ride to the beach this afternoon and shot a few pix.

Love the look, but the finish is not quite up to scratch. They'll have to re finish a few things before it's good enough, but these guys have been bending over backwards to make me happy. I'm sure it'll all be perfect at the end of the day.......... one day.

Still to do:
1. re fit the bar end mirrors.
2. (......after the tank is finished nicely) fit new tank emblems/eagles.
3. remove the passenger pegs, and get a custom exhaust muffler bracket made,..... ( the original with the passenger footrest mounts needs a little tidying up.)
4. maybe re do the black chrome hugger, ( it's not quite black enough.)
5. Polish the forks (and a few other things)
6. Paint the lower triple clamp black.

Do steps 7 through 80,........ keep the "Evoluzione" evolving. (Is a project ever  truly finished?)

Anyway. Progress is being made. How's it look so far?

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2016, 12:44:32 PM »
To my eye it certainly looks different to the standard Bellagio, and again to my eye, looks better.

A very professional looking job.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2016, 01:10:52 PM »

The bike Guzzi should've built...

<sigh>
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Penderic

« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2016, 01:59:47 PM »
Now everyone will want one!  :drool:

Offline drums4money

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2016, 05:32:55 PM »

How's it look so far?

That's a smart bundle . . very very nice!  Can the passenger pegs go, or are they providing support to the exhausts on the left side?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 05:34:44 PM by drums4money »
hypocrite, four flusher, snake in the grass, just a swindler and wolf in sheep's clothing...liar

1200 Sport , Monster S2R, MV Agusta B3 800

Old School Audio:
http://oldschoolaudio.wix.com/headphones

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2016, 05:56:31 PM »
It looks great!   Good job!!    :thumb:

Yes, I want one!
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here