Author Topic: If you don't like Moto Guzzi's new styling direction, what do you do now?  (Read 18567 times)

Offline flip

• Gaggle Hero
  • Aprilia Caponord 1200, Aprilia Shiver, gone MG B11
For you Guzzi owners that might not care for the more traditional look of the new Guzzi's, what do you do when it's time for another bike? Let's say you like the looks of the Lemans, Sport series, Grisos or even the Breva based bikes, do you give up on getting a new bike and buy one of those or do you move on from Moto Guzzi and switch to another brand? If you're a sport or sport-touring kind of guy, it doesn't look like Moto Guzzi will have any new bikes for you.

I'm looking at my first retirement in a couple of years. I had thought that a new bike would not be out of the question then but it doesn't look like Moto Guzzi will be making anything then that I would want.

This is not meant as an insult to you guys that love the V7's, new V9's or 1400's. I'm actually happy for you. They just don't do it for me and I'm guessing a few more oddballs among this eccentric collection of fine folks.  :grin:
North Carolina

Offline Rox

• What's a Goozy?
  • Hatchling
Re: If you don't like Moto Guzzi's new styling direction, what do you do now?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 02:37:28 AM »
The cool thing about a Guzzi is if you hate the new Guzzis you can always get an older Guzzi.. :thumb:
02 V11 Lemans
02 V11 Scura
14 Honda CTX1300
07 Yamaha R6

Offline Vince in Milwaukee

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 03:05:35 AM »
In the past, I'd say switch to BMW, but they are getting way too technical for me.  I have considered joining the MOA again and maybe getting a nice used R or K bike @10 years old or so, though.  Another route might be Triumph.  I like a lot of their offerings.  As much as I am a Euro junkie, Honda is always at the back of my mind.  Their quality and reasonable prices do have me interested.  Good luck. 
1984 Moto Guzzi 850 LeMans III, 1986 California II
Gone but not forgotten:
1969 Moto Guzzi Ambo, 1994 BMW K75RTw/ABS, 1996 BMW R1100RT, and 1993 BMW K75

Vasco DG

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 03:44:41 AM »
THE *LOOK* ISN'T 'TRADITIONAL', IT IS OBSOLETE AND ANTIQUATED! IT PANDERS TO IDIOTS AND FOOLS WHO ONLY REFFERENCE THEIR LIVES BY THE MISTAKES AND FAILURES OF THEIR PARENT'S GENERATIONS!

The world and technology move on. It saddens me that so many people are so resentful of that they have turned the second oldest motorcycle company in the world into a shallow joke.

Pete

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 03:44:41 AM »

Offline Oldrat

• New Egg
  • Brian
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2015, 03:52:33 AM »
I know that this kind of avoids the discussion about the direction GUZZI are headed, but hey, another perspective here.

I see where you are coming from, but for me, also coming up to retirement, I prefer to look backwards rather than at new models. 

That's simply because a) there are some great iconic bikes from my early years that I can't wait to get hold of, I don't quite get the 'must have the latest' mindset where it gets superseded almost immediately b) they cost about the same as new bike money, c) they won't go down in price unless you trash them, and d) I love taking care of them, especially as I'll have more time.

As long as I have a good reliable daily rider, I'm not too interested in a brand new model...I've never liked paying the tax on a new bike, I've always tended to pre registered or under a year old.

At the moment I have a T3 and a LM2 complimenting my 2010 BMW.  I'm a happy bunny right now.

Good luck with your search for that ideal machine
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 03:54:28 AM by Oldrat »
1976 'Zagato' Guzzi cafe racer
1978 Black & Gold, Coburn & Hughes Mk2 Le Mans
2001 Ducati 996R
2017 BMW R1200 GSA

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2015, 04:46:07 AM »
THE *LOOK* ISN'T 'TRADITIONAL', IT IS OBSOLETE AND ANTIQUATED! IT PANDERS TO IDIOTS AND FOOLS WHO ONLY REFFERENCE THEIR LIVES BY THE MISTAKES AND FAILURES OF THEIR PARENT'S GENERATIONS!

Pete, you know I love ya. So you'll understand when ii say
F YOU TOO
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2015, 05:12:55 AM »
Scratch up enough $$ for a Magni other than that just a case of finding a bike thats not a sewing machine and has a local shop that actually knows their product thats the hard bit. There are some awesome motors out there the 11 degree tettastrada motor is a brilliant road bike motor by all accounts and the latest installment of the KTM superduke is interesting. Although it might be time to take serious some of the electric bikes arriving on the market.

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2015, 05:23:15 AM »
I'm on board with all the new electronics, tires etc. but not transformers styling cues.
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2015, 05:55:50 AM »

The world and technology move on. It saddens me that so many people are so resentful of that they have turned the second oldest motorcycle company in the world into a shallow joke.

Pete

Yea, that's it Pete.  It's the "LOOKS" that are keeping Guzzi down, not the fact that you are neck deep in self destructing 1200 8V motors.  Not to mention you're one of only a few dealers on the planet that can fix 'em.  It MUST be the looks.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 06:00:54 AM by Cam3512 »
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2015, 06:37:46 AM »

Yea, that's it Pete.  It's the "LOOKS" that are keeping Guzzi down, not the fact that you are neck deep in self destructing 1200 8V motors.  Not to mention you're one of only a few dealers on the planet that can fix 'em.  It MUST be the looks.

I think the only one keeping Guzzi down is Piaggio at least in the U.S. as their dealer network for Vespa and Aprilia is just as bad.  But I don't have a problem keeping it as the traditional brand of the group.  They can use Aprilia brand for the latest and greatest.

It all comes down to investing in their dealers which obviously they don't seem to value.
George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2015, 06:54:04 AM »
Besides the fact that I don't like the looks of many new bikes, they just don't work as well for my intended purpose.

I doubt many of the transformer designers think their bikes are beautiful.

I like Guzzis-older ones, mostly-because they aren't hard to keep up so an older bike is a viable alternative-at least they have been.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 06:55:43 AM by Aaron D. »

redrider

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2015, 07:05:11 AM »
Before I make another stupid comment, a couple of questions. How many Dealers of other non Continental brands also carry Guzzi? How many Guzzi Dealers stand alone in brand offerings. It has been my experience that the bikes from HD and Asia get the lion's share of exposure either in print or press for good or bad. How many Son's of Anarchy Wannabes buy Italian? I do not see Angels on Beemers. Thankfully, the lower and stretch a$$hats go for the Asian brands. (There is one bozo riding a l&s s1000. An abomination) Until we change their hearts and minds... Good luck with that.

Offline HDGoose

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2015, 07:13:49 AM »
After I get into my new house next year, I will start looking for my bikes. A loop frame type, a Tonti cafe, and my touring mile eater. The mile eater will probably will be a Harley ElectraGlide. The Guzzi 1400 fuel tanks are too small to be considered. The Norge is not as comfortable for my wife as the Harley is. Dealer support and parts supply are why I am liking the Harley.

Offline O

• Gosling
  • Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2015, 08:27:01 AM »
Pete,  I really wish you'd stop holding back and let us know how you really feel.  Otherwise, all of that bile is going to build up and turn you the color of your Griso, think Aussie Incredible Hulk...   :tongue:

If you would be so kind, could you please enlighten this admittedly foolish idiot on what new bikes--by any marque--are keeping up with technology's forward march and don't look like plastic insects?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 08:29:16 AM by O »
Owen

2014 V7 Special

Offline GuzziChris

• Gosling
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2015, 08:44:34 AM »
After many years of Guzzis I now ride a Triumph Scrambler. Not a great bike, but it fits me just right (bad back) and it's a great 60 mph back road machine, which is the majority of my riding. It's also an enjoyable platform for a vast array of aftermarket trinkets, it's enjoyable to me to "make it my own". The new Triumph Classics look great, and Triumph already has a nice diversity with bikes like the Daytona and the Tiger, all seemingly great bikes per everything I can see and read (only rode a Tiger briefly). 
I get what Pete is saying, but to my thinking it's "give your base what it wants"... and clearly given the V7 success, retro is a big part of that. And that gets to my "what should Guzzi do".... and I think the successful path is the one Triumph took. Perfect the retro cool V7 and maybe offer a 900 version, develop a beautiful, modern hi-tech sport bike (like a Daytona or Ducati) that compete with others in the minds of YOUNG riders, and perfect the  "adventure" platform that they already have, so continue to refine and perfect the Stelvio. From a styling perspective, the Stelvio is tops in it's class in my mind. And to that end, maybe Guzzi needs to consider another engine configuration for some of these bikes.... it didn't kill BMW to offer 4 cylinder bikes.
I hope to own another Guzzi or two someday, I hope the mother ship can get their act together as an organization. To my thinking that means from a business and engineering perspective as well as a marketing/styling perspective.

Offline Irn

• Gosling
  • 2004 Breva750 2007 BMW F800ST 2006 Vespa GTS2500
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2015, 09:06:13 AM »
Guzzi, a niche brand that as much as we complain about Piaggio would be dead by now if they were independent.  The only analogy I can think of is in the bicycle world.  It use to be cyclists longed for a Cinelli, Masi, Colnago, De Rosa, all beautifully hand crafted  Italian lugged steel frames.  Down tube Campy Super Record 6 speed, you can see where I'm heading.  Now the above brands that still are in business make 99% of their frames out of Carbon in Taiwan or China, 11 Speed Shimano, tubeless carbon wheels, and now disc brakes.  The world moves on.  Yes some retro guys will show up on their steel studs, but not many.  We are lucky to have the brand left at all producing bikes in that quaint Alpine lakeside factory.  I'm puzzled by their line up, but heck glad they are still in business.  I would guess most Yanks looking for a cruiser alternative are going to think Indian, not Goose!

Offline Waltr

• Gaggle Mentor
    • Europa Macchina
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2015, 09:11:40 AM »
   I understand fully what Pete is getting at.  I am conflicted to a point on technology and grateful for the simplicity and robust nature of my Norge. That said advancements and features are very slow in coming.  For one thing I want cruise control and some of the features found on the Caponard.  Not too much to ask.
    As far as the FU PETE dialog.  Come on now! Get a grip. Is any of this personal? 

« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 09:18:40 AM by Waltr »
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
www.motoguzzipa.com

2012 Norge

Offline Scud

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2015, 09:17:11 AM »
The cool thing about a Guzzi is if you hate the new Guzzis you can always get an older Guzzi.. :thumb:

...or two... or three... for less than the cost of a new one.

I've only bought two motorcycles new - a 1986 Yamaha Radian and a 2006 Ducati Sport 1000. For me, it's rare that a new motorcycle is different enough to catch my interest.

With all the great deals on older, reliable bikes, I just have a hard time paying so much money for a new motorcycle. And I don't finance or pay comprehensive insurance on vehicles. I was thinking about putting some hard bags on one of my V11s, but ended up buying a 1992 BMW K75s with better bags for about the cost of putting bags on a V11.

That being said, I cannot stop looking at the new Honda Africa Twin, but I am still comparing/contrasting to the Stelvio.

I think the answer to the core question of this thread is that you don't need to fall in love with a brand - you can fall in love with some specific models. If you have the opportunity to own more than one motorcycle, you can appreciate all the things that each bike does better than the others.
1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Scura
2017 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
2017 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2020 Yamaha TW200

Offline Joliet Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Justus Esto, Et Non Metue
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2015, 09:26:29 AM »

Pete

Can you clarify that a bit more? 😀
1975 T160 Triumph Trident "Spot"
2002 Cali Stone "Moby Dick"
1998 Centauro "Psycho Chicken"
2003 Buell Blast "Pegasus"

Offline acogoff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2015, 09:31:44 AM »
     All the modern gadgetesque bikes are great in my book as long as there is factory support for the dealers when a problem shows up. Problem seems to be a lacking in that department with the newer guzzis(Piaggio) and the buyer is just left hanging with his mad money tied up in a piece of inanimate crap. Well Screw that, my next modernish bike might just turn out to be a boring semi well supported bike like a V-strom.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 10:06:05 AM by acogoff »
'77850t3FB Owned since it was new
Marshall County Minnesota USA

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2015, 09:42:19 AM »
Personally, I love the look of the V7 II, the California 1400 Touring, the Eldorado, and the Norge. Even the V9 is growing on me. They all have style, shaft drive, adequate power, and ABS. All but the Norge even have traction control. Some even have ride modes.

With my Norge, at least, I do not wish for more power. If I had a V7 II or V9, I might wish for more power.

I placed a deposit on the new Triumph Thurston R when they were first announced, but I began having second thoughts when I saw the new V9. Of course, I have gone neither direction and instead have bought another Norge! (I wonder if I can get my deposit back?  :wink:)
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

oldbike54

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2015, 09:46:22 AM »

Moto Guzzi
                                                                           Est 1921
                                                          Going out of business since 1922

You guys are killing me  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline ogsurf

• Hatchling
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2015, 10:08:50 AM »
The glaring open slot in the Guzzi lineup is a sporty bike. The Griso is a little too much of an acquired taste for some people. I think the next bike from the factory will be a resurrection of the Le Mans name. It maybe nothing but a naked Norge, restyled Griso or possibly an all new platform that their "Skunkworks" have been working on for the last year. They have captured a whole new rider with the small block series and it would be a sin to lose them to another marque.

Or maybe this is just a pipe dream on my part and the next bike will be a reworked Nevada.
TP

"What the hell is a Moto Gootsie?"

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2015, 10:16:38 AM »
I do laugh at the idea that a bike has to look like a child's fantasy soldier to have modern technology. Most of these retro bikes have used advanced electronics to give the simple motorcycling experience that I like. Doesn't have to look like a modern outhouse.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2015, 10:17:24 AM »
Actually I like the styling from Guzzi.  Especially when compared to the new origami and Dali inspired bikes from Europe and Japan.   My big gripe, is the new riding position is going cruiser from what I know about the 1400 and what I've read for the V9. 

Bring back the standard and sport pegs and boards.

I'd also like to see a performance 1400 LeMans.

Whatever they sell, make sure service is reasonable and available.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Scud

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2015, 10:20:01 AM »
...a resurrection of the Le Mans name.

That is a serious brand-asset for Moto Guzzi. It would seem that Piaggio would recognize that. It could also be made consistent with a retro-theme, if that's where MG is headed.

I'd have to seriously consider a Diesel Stelvio if one were to become available.
1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Scura
2017 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
2017 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2020 Yamaha TW200

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2015, 10:20:54 AM »
Maybe I am dreaming, but I imagine V9 cafe racer (with better suspension) would not be too hard to do.
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Penderic

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2015, 10:24:54 AM »

Just kidding. We are all tough guys here. sniff.

or ...
         you could just ride something else!

:wink:
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 10:26:21 AM by Penderic »

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2015, 10:34:31 AM »
The glaring open slot in the Guzzi lineup is a sporty bike. The Griso is a little too much of an acquired taste for some people. I think the next bike from the factory will be a resurrection of the Le Mans name. It maybe nothing but a naked Norge, restyled Griso or possibly an all new platform that their "Skunkworks" have been working on for the last year. They have captured a whole new rider with the small block series and it would be a sin to lose them to another marque.

Or maybe this is just a pipe dream on my part and the next bike will be a reworked Nevada.

Right my friend!   You guys worry to much about the supposed change of direction at Guzzi.  Guzzi has gone after what is hot, only makes sense.  However, to assume that they will not come out with a new standard or semi sport is naive.  They only have so many resources at one time, I highly suspect as R59 has alluded to that next years ECMIA show in Italy will have something to address the perceived hole in the line up.   Don't toss out the baby with the bath water!
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

lucydad

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2015, 10:36:05 AM »
Here is my solution:  build a new house with a 3 car garage and ten foot side and rear bump garage bump out that can hold probably five bikes with ease.  I am going to keep the V7R as long as I can get Houston maintenance (thanks and waves to Mike at MPH).  What to do?  It is very unlikely I will ever buy another Moto Guzzi.  What may happen is a third bike.  I am eyeing the new Thruxton, or more like a mid-range light touring bike like the BMW F800GT (used). 

I still love the look, performance and style of my V7R.  It is a joy to ride.  As I age (gracefully?) into my mid-sixties it could be the "sport bike for old men--as coined by Todd Haven" will continue to be my favorite machine.  Riding geometry is key to me, comfort on butt, back and hands.  Light weight is also key so forget big cruisers with masses of metal and feet forward.  I sat on a Indian Scout:  nope, no way.

The STRX Triumph triple is an amazing machine.  It is supremely capable and flexible with the upright riding geometry.  Add some side tail bags, a larger tank bag,  and a front screen (readily found aftermarket) and the hot rod could be a reasonable light touring bike. Its only downfall is low gas mileage, although that is acceptable if I refrain from hooligan mode and keep RPM below 6000.

The Houston oil crash has resulted in mass quantities of quality used motorcycles at the dealers and from individuals. Next summer I may start looking around for a third bike.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here