Author Topic: NGC: Any gun collectors here?  (Read 19183 times)

Frulk

Re: NGC: Any gun collectors here?
« Reply #60 on: December 28, 2015, 08:39:30 PM »
Winter is for casting bullets and loading them up for the first long range buffalo gong shoot next spring with the .45-110 Sharps. Tomorrows forecast is for 30 mph winds and 8 to 10" of snow.

I've been toying with the idea of getting into casting but I have too many other hobbies that it would require me to cut back on to make time for it. I'm still able to get hard cast lead bullets (which I shoot quite a bit vs. jacketed) at very reasonable prices. Currently have a source in Dillon, Montana casting some very nice .357 mag 158 gr SWC's. On my travels through the Montana and Wyoming backcountry I've developed a little network of local sporting goods stores that I hit when coming through. In that fashion I've been able to acquire hard to get stuff like Unique, Accurate 5/7/9, 2400, that is almost never on Sportsman/Cabela's shelves and I have enough Trail Boss now to last me the rest of my life.  For brass I go directly to Starline's website which ships for free and is about $6-8 less per hundred than the franchise sporting goods stores When they have the popular pistol calibers...(which is almost never these days around here).
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 08:43:18 PM by Frulk »

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #61 on: December 28, 2015, 09:05:17 PM »
Thanks for that..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Waterbottle

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #62 on: December 29, 2015, 12:16:03 AM »

Nice Christmas gift!  I've bought a few airguns recently to goof around in the backyard with.  The broomhandle Mauser is a hoot in full auto but empties the mag in about 2 seconds.  Hopefully the neighbors remain calm, I turn my stereo up real loud first!  :thewife:

I love those Broom Handles  :thumb:  A friend bought one from the widow of his old mate recently, no one even knew he had it until they had a tidy up. 

« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 08:41:19 AM by rocker59 »
2015 Griso SE Rosso
2012 Stelvio 8V
2009 Griso R  Track only
76 GT 750 Suzuki
If you Ride a Griso, You need Tyres with Gription

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #63 on: December 29, 2015, 10:08:09 AM »
^^^ "Broomhandles" and Lugers... There's a collecting virus I don't wanna get. Too dear. I have one 1918 matching numbered Luger and that's one too many. It keeps crying out for series mates but more particularly, an Artillery Luger.

Back in the Eye-Talian realm, I had forgotten about these Spaghetti Western staples from Italy:

Two Remingtons (may favored) and a Colt in bits slowly becoming a pistol.

They really speak to me these days. If my bevy of 1911s feeds my Ludditious carburetor side, than these cap &ballers tickle my distributor bone! :boozing: Got a Hawken coming together in the shed too... "... couldn't go no better."

Todd.
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: December 29, 2015, 10:08:09 AM »

Offline WitchCityGuzzi

• Gosling
« Reply #64 on: December 29, 2015, 11:29:37 AM »
My next piece will probably be one of these. I have a thing for the Schofield's. To my eye, they're just gorgeous.

2016 V7II Stornello
2011 Griso SE
2009 Stelvio
2004 Ballabio
1979 V1000 Cafe
1970 Ambassador
1966 Stornello Sport
1967 Aermacchi 250SS Sprint

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #65 on: December 29, 2015, 03:36:57 PM »
We have a nice broomhandle Mauser, made in 1896, carried in the Boer War, then again in WWI.  But, did not see much action in either.  Father-in-law inherited it from a friend's family and now wife has it.

We shoot it on a regular basis.  Figured out the right loads for it so it cycles reliably.  Really nice little package and as accurate as any carbine with the stock attached.

1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Waterbottle

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #66 on: December 29, 2015, 03:55:17 PM »
We have a nice broomhandle Mauser, made in 1896, carried in the Boer War, then again in WWI.  But, did not see much action in either.  Father-in-law inherited it from a friend's family and now wife has it.

We shoot it on a regular basis.  Figured out the right loads for it so it cycles reliably.  Really nice little package and as accurate as any carbine with the stock attached.

Very nice Charlie, Cycles reliably ? Would you share your loads so I could pass it on to my friend, it would save him some grief I think. I have no hand guns myself as to own one here in Australia you must be a member of a registered pistol club, hold a current gun owners licence, attend x number of club functions per year etc etc. All to painful for me at the moment. In my time off work I'm ether fixing or riding bikes  :laugh:
2015 Griso SE Rosso
2012 Stelvio 8V
2009 Griso R  Track only
76 GT 750 Suzuki

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #67 on: December 29, 2015, 04:09:29 PM »
Going back 50 years .... a college buddy of mine purchased a broomhandle Mauser from a friend for $40.00.  Keep in mind it didn't come with the removable 'rifle' stock.  My recollections about the gun were:
- you used the nose of a bullet to open the magazine
- it had a very precise mechanism to raise and lower the sight for changes in elevation
- it was one brutally ugly firearm .... all business
- it was great fun to fire

Bob
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline davedude

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #68 on: December 29, 2015, 05:32:57 PM »
Quote from crafty:

Well it still isn't Motoguzzi but is Italian so getting closer  :cheesy:. My Uberti El Patron .45. The Sharps replica I shot was also an Uberti.

GliderJohn

Uberti makes quality pieces. I too have a couple of colt clones including a 5.5" patron. Their Winchesters are high quality and not inexpensive.
'07 Cal Vintage
'07 Nevada Classic

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #69 on: December 29, 2015, 07:07:22 PM »
Quote from davedude:
Uberti makes quality pieces. I too have a couple of colt clones including a 5.5" patron. Their Winchesters are high quality and not inexpensive.

I am very impressed with my El Patron. Cost less than a Ruger Vaquero, has much better fit and finish than my Blackhawk, and a factory custom tuned action with Wolfe Springs. Shoots great and to POA @ 50'. The .45 is just a fun cartridge and easy to reload along with being a piece of history.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #70 on: December 29, 2015, 07:11:56 PM »
Going back 50 years .... a college buddy of mine purchased a broomhandle Mauser from a friend for $40.00.  Keep in mind it didn't come with the removable 'rifle' stock.  My recollections about the gun were:
- you used the nose of a bullet to open the magazine
- it had a very precise mechanism to raise and lower the sight for changes in elevation
- it was one brutally ugly firearm .... all business
- it was great fun to fire

Bob

Yep.  But, you only need to open the mag if you get a lot of dirt/grime in there.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #71 on: December 29, 2015, 07:23:17 PM »
Very nice Charlie, Cycles reliably ? Would you share your loads so I could pass it on to my friend, it would save him some grief I think. I have no hand guns myself as to own one here in Australia you must be a member of a registered pistol club, hold a current gun owners licence, attend x number of club functions per year etc etc. All to painful for me at the moment. In my time off work I'm ether fixing or riding bikes  :laugh:

I've been using 6.3gn AA#5 with the Sierra 85gn bullet (that is the max load) but it cycles well.

Do not use the Tokarev ammo as it is quite a bit hotter.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Waterbottle

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #72 on: December 30, 2015, 04:35:08 AM »
I've been using 6.3gn AA#5 with the Sierra 85gn bullet (that is the max load) but it cycles well.

Do not use the Tokarev ammo as it is quite a bit hotter.

Thanks Charlie, I'll pass it on   Cheers :boozing:
2015 Griso SE Rosso
2012 Stelvio 8V
2009 Griso R  Track only
76 GT 750 Suzuki

Offline MotoG5

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #73 on: December 30, 2015, 06:18:24 AM »
This long range set up is my Italian connection. Pedersoli reproduction of a Remington Rolling Block in 45-70. Casting is the only way to get the specialized long heavy bullets that are soft enough to work with black powder loads. One can shoot smokeless in these reproductions but its not allowed in quite a few of the long range matches and in the longer high case capacity rounds like 45/90 and 45/110 you have to be very careful if you do so.

Nebraska MGNOC State Rep

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #74 on: December 30, 2015, 08:57:42 AM »
I do love the black powder guns.  My next one will be a long range muzzle loader.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #75 on: December 30, 2015, 09:25:19 AM »
Any person much interested in firearms should at least fool with black powder a bit. Fairly inexpensive to get into.
I compare it to learning to fly with gliders. It just does a good job of teaching the basics plus fun to shoot.
On the flip side of the coin I cannot imagine going to war as like in the civil war using the black powder weapons. Pull trigger, boom, Oh wait! Oh wait! I need a half a minute on a good day to reload this thing while having to stand up to do it. Even the revolvers were only good for about 20 shots or so before they became to gummed up to function.
GuzziJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline Farmer Dan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #76 on: December 30, 2015, 08:08:09 PM »
And if you get into black powder you need a good pistol.  This is a .69 cal that my Father made when he was 17 years old.  It still shots like a dream and is dead on at 50 yards. 

1972 Eldorado
1940 Ford 9N
1937 Browning A5
I love old iron

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #77 on: December 30, 2015, 08:55:03 PM »
Dead on meaning "bushel basket" @ 50 yards..  :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #78 on: December 31, 2015, 06:42:20 AM »
I have an el Patron CMS (lowered hammer, 3.5" barrel. .357 Mag). The trigger is a dream and it is beautiful to look at. Excellent in the field or at a bar-b-que!
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here