Author Topic: Motorcycles that are appliances  (Read 18959 times)

canuguzzi

Motorcycles that are appliances
« on: May 25, 2016, 03:03:27 PM »
What criteria do you use to classify a motorcycle as an "appliance"?

Offline M0T0Geezer

• Gaggle Mentor
    • The Ones I Rode
Re: Motorcycles that are appliances
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 03:37:11 PM »
The biggest "appliance" bike I've ever owned was a GL1800.  It was perfect. It needed me not. I was a gnat on its back.  Same with my ST1300: Too Perfect.  I put over 20,000 miles on each of them so thay had plenty of opportunity to make me love them.

My greatest 2-wheeled loves  were my ST1100, a 400cc Yamaha scooter, and my 750cc Guzzi Breva.  Just something made me love them.

2007 Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 USA

My 65+ years of motorcycling here:

http://www.dansher.com/mywheels.htm

Wisdom from the road:

http://www.dansher.com/bikequotes.html

Play guitar or keyboard?  You will like:

http://www.dansher.com/audio/pdf_tunes.html

Doppelgaenger

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 03:43:25 PM »
Lack of soul, boring and/or ugly.

The Goldwing and all large displacement scooters come immediately to mind.

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 03:53:22 PM »
I dunno.. the current Goldwing/Valkyrie isn't so different from the California/ El Dorado... they're all big, bagged, faired bikes.
Old enough to say I've done it, young enough to do it again.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 03:53:22 PM »

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 04:24:47 PM »
Three things. The engine. The engine, and the engine. My MZ is "better" in every measurable way then the Lairo or Monza. Meh. The MZ engine is boring as cheese. (Yamaha single)
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline radlefty

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 04:53:20 PM »
Three things. The engine. The engine, and the engine. My MZ is "better" in every measurable way then the Lairo or Monza. Meh. The MZ engine is boring as cheese. (Yamaha single)

^ big +1 to this.   My BMW K1300s was an incredibly well designed and engineered motorcycle. Outstanding components with an incredibly smooth and fast engine. And boring as hell unless ridden at arrest me speeds. Every time I rode it, all I could think was how much I'd love the bike if only it had either a Triumph Triple or V-twin engine in it.
It's alway's about the journey... Wherever you go, there you are.

Bikeless in Mpls

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2016, 05:27:07 PM »

Any three of the top ten list below:

10)  Defrost timer
09)  pilot light
08)  30 page instruction booklet -- one page in English
07)  energy star on the label
06)  FCCID
05)  can't outrun its power cord
04) Warranty is free; shipping is not.
03)  As seen on TV
02)  music video accessory
01)  awarded as a prize on THE PRICE IS RIGHT

Offline CalVin2007

• fickle old fool
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2016, 05:28:42 PM »
 Yes...the engine. It has to make me want to twist the throttle at any speed just to feel and hear the engine. Not necessary to break traffic laws either...just the visceral feel and sound is what does it. If a bike can't do that but is otherwise perfectly fine transportation: Appliance.
'07 CalVin
 '79 TT500
 '78 SR500
 '80 SR500

Offline rbm

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2016, 05:40:52 PM »
Appliance means continuous operation with minimal maintenance, like a fridge.  The BMW classic K-bike fits that definition.  It has a bulletproof engine / drivetrain which if kept filled with the proper fluids will continue to reward with seemingly limitless miles.  It's not uncommon to exceed 500K, or 1M miles on these bikes. Any motorcycle could be considered an appliance if it gave service like one of these over-engineered German workhorses.
- Robert

2011 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
1987 BMW K75 @k75retro.blogspot.ca

Offline tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2016, 05:55:11 PM »
Lots of body work
Can't see the engine
very reliable
& -Huge storage capacity (think Honda Pacific Coast)
..Edited
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 07:26:26 AM by tazio »
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2016, 06:08:33 PM »

Even the Rotax in my Silver Star was a bit bland. Lots of whirring noises that were louder than the (stock) exhaust at speed, not overly powerful and lacking low-end torque. Most appliance-like "weird" bike I've ever owned. My brother's Pegaso (with Rotax built engine) was pretty boring too.

In contrast, the little 72 degree 350 v-twin in the Morini grumbles, growls, purrs, clicks and whirs depending on the engine speed, along with a nice mini-rumble from the exhaust and honk from the intake. Still very "civilized" though. Very torquey - pulls from a stop with no throttle, doesn't "chug" if you're in too high of a gear for the rpms - it just pulls. Just enough vibration to remind you it's running. 36 hp surpasses the MZ with less displacement. Oh, and 74 mpg average...   :bike-037:
Charlie

Offline Jim Rich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2016, 06:15:09 PM »
My criteria for judging motorcycles is very simple.  If they make me laugh in my helmet they are good bikes.  Appliances do not make me laugh or even giggle. 

Offline Scud

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2016, 06:25:10 PM »
Appliance means continuous operation with minimal maintenance, like a fridge.  The BMW classic K-bike fits that definition.  It has a bulletproof engine / drivetrain which if kept filled with the proper fluids will continue to reward with seemingly limitless miles.  It's not uncommon to exceed 500K, or 1M miles on these bikes. Any motorcycle could be considered an appliance if it gave service like one of these over-engineered German workhorses.

This is the most positive take on the term "appliance" and it fits the K-bikes well. I mean, a bike that's nicknamed the flying-brick is about as appliance-like as you can get. But brick can be complimentary as the Commodores taught us with the song "Brick House."

When using appliance as a negative, it's something that performs a needed service and the only emotion you have for it disgust when it fails - like a dishwashing machine.

@NorgePilot: Interesting question, thanks.

To me, any bike approaches the negative view of appliance when it contains some of these features:
 - Sterile, conservative styling
 - Exceptionally quiet (mechanical and exhaust noises)
 - Power outlets
 - Stereo
 - More than 10 buttons on the handlebars
 - No tachometer
 - Electrically adjustable windshield
 - Heated seats/grips
 - ABS/Traction control, etc. (anything that controls the bike and eliminates the rider's judgment or skill)
 - reverse gear
 - requires two people to lift it if dropped

So - that's my first reaction.
1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Scura
2017 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
2017 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2020 Yamaha TW200

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2016, 06:57:33 PM »
My first bike was a Honda CL-70...pressed sheet metal frame, under stressed 4-stroke power plant, incredible gas mileage; by any account, an appliance-like machine. But it was so much more to me, a fourteen year old just getting a sense of himself. That bike set me in motion...
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2016, 07:03:18 PM »
I will answer as I always do. If I have a bike that is an appliance, and I want it to have character, I  loosen the oil drain, disconnect one of the spark plugs and punch a hole in the muffler with a $100.00 official Harley screwdriver....
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 11:36:51 PM by Shorty »
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2016, 07:15:19 PM »
  It must be able to cook an omelette,  blend veggies, butter toast,  vacum the carpet, and be owned by someone else.  The first four features are optional but the last one is mandatory.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2016, 07:21:53 PM »
If you DON'T turn around and look at it after parking, it's an appliance.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2016, 07:35:51 PM »
An "appliance" is a tool to assist you to do a job. From my observations, riding motorbikes is not seen as a job that has to be done, I think that a motorcyclist and a bike become more than the sum of their parts. An appliance is something you can walk away from if it doesn't work properly, a large proportion of the posts on here are because they don't ! And IMO there's the fun !

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2016, 07:40:20 PM »
I will answer as I always do. If I have a bike that is an appliance, and I want it to have character, I  loosen the oil drain, disconnect one of the spark plugs and punch a hole in the muffler with a $100.00 official Harley screwdriver.... :evil:9
This is been said so often it's dumb, in my opinion....

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2016, 07:44:00 PM »
I once a quote that most Honda's, (cars and motorcycles), are so perfectly engineered, they are "boring..." :rolleyes: :shocked: :wink: - - - and of course, that's why we all like quirky Guzzi's - because they definitely have SOUL! :thumb: :cool:

However, when I hear the word "appliance" as referred to a motorcycle, this "cult classic" comes to mind.

The PC800 Pacific Coast! :thumb: :cool:

Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline MGPilot

• Gosling
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2016, 08:00:13 PM »
It seems to me that the more:

- The vehicle's speed seems removed or delayed from the throttle
- The suspension is tuned to hide the road
- The vehicle emphasizes efficiency over performance
- It does things for you (shifts gears, turns on/off lights, keeps you out of trouble....heck the Model T owners would include advance the spark!...)
- It creates a serene experience

....the closer it comes to a transportation appliance.
2014 Morgan Three Wheeler

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2016, 08:05:35 PM »
Well, yeah. It can get down to "what's the point?" Might as well take the Prius..

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2016, 10:39:11 PM »
This is been said so often it's dumb, in my opinion....

Yep. Same old answer to the same old appliance vs. character debate. For the upteenth time.  :clock:
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2016, 01:01:42 AM »

I cannot agree with you since I've ridden a Lario and own a MuZ Tour.   If the Lario was bulletproof I'd have 1 instead of my 750 Breva.  My MuZ is the best handling bike I've ever ridden but for overall enjoyment the Lario wins in my comparison.  My Breva is a winner too for solo or 2up riding, but it's not a Lario.   :thumb:

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2016, 03:27:15 AM »

However, when I hear the word "appliance" as referred to a motorcycle, this "cult classic" comes to mind.

The PC800 Pacific Coast! :thumb: :cool:

For some reason I quite like these. perhaps it is that it is designed uncompromisingly for purpose and achieves it well.... I don't know.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 03:27:44 AM by johnr »
New Zealand
2002 Ev tourer (Stalled again...)

Offline huub

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2016, 03:44:09 AM »
Even the Rotax in my Silver Star was a bit bland. Lots of whirring noises that were louder than the (stock) exhaust at speed, not overly powerful and lacking low-end torque. Most appliance-like "weird" bike I've ever owned. My brother's Pegaso (with Rotax built engine) was pretty boring too.

In contrast, the little 72 degree 350 v-twin in the Morini grumbles, growls, purrs, clicks and whirs depending on the engine speed, along with a nice mini-rumble from the exhaust and honk from the intake. Still very "civilized" though. Very torquey - pulls from a stop with no throttle, doesn't "chug" if you're in too high of a gear for the rpms - it just pulls. Just enough vibration to remind you it's running. 36 hp surpasses the MZ with less displacement. Oh, and 74 mpg average...   :bike-037:

you should try the same engine as your silverstar in the KTM 600,
instead of 36 hp is suddenly makes 50 HP.
forget the concept of being civilised. the engine is a complete lunatic , rattles at low revs, and completely explodes over 5000 RPM
on the KTM you are short shifting in the first three gears to stop you from looping it backwards.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 03:45:14 AM by huub »

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2016, 06:16:37 AM »

I cannot agree with you since I've ridden a Lario and own a MuZ Tour.   If the Lario was bulletproof I'd have 1 instead of my 750 Breva.  My MuZ is the best handling bike I've ever ridden but for overall enjoyment the Lario wins in my comparison.  My Breva is a winner too for solo or 2up riding, but it's not a Lario.   :thumb:

Well, I have a bullet proof Lario, and pick it over the tour *every* time. The Monza is a little better handling bike than the Lario, and is much more fun to operate than the MZ, too. The MZ would smoke either one on a road course, and has more suspension compliance on rough roads. The engine is boring though, so it sits. It'll be fine out in the SoCal canyons with the engine at full boil, but around here it's just why bother?  :smiley:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
  • It's never too late to be what you might have been
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2016, 06:24:17 AM »

This.
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

lucydad

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2016, 08:29:40 AM »
Any resemblance to a Prius--the most boring car ever rented.  Pretty much all Honda cars, and most of their motorcycles.

Rotax used to make some fiery 2-stroke, triple snowmobile engines....

Make mine something that snarls a bit,  burbles nicely on deceleration, and is pretty.

Time to walk poodles.  I think I will try and talk the moto-rental guys in Durango into getting a couple used V7 Guzzis in their fleet.  Maybe a Stelvio too. 

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2016, 09:36:03 AM »

I swapped bikes with a friend of mine, his Goldwing and my Daytona. The GW made such an impression on me, that I can honestly say, that I would be happy to never look at one of them again in this lifetime. 
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here