Author Topic: Did not make it home in one piece (VA rally)  (Read 19234 times)

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
Re: Did not make it home in one piece (VA rally)
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2016, 04:26:04 PM »
Just got in and saw this.
Sorry to hear about that. At about that time I was not far away in West Jefferson, heading toward Damascus, when I had a rear bearing fail. I was stuck in West Jefferson until I could get the parts.
Hope all heals well. Bummer about the bike. I think you were just getting it 'broken in'.

Remember, your Yamahas are welcome at the rally's too.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 04:28:22 PM by OMG »
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2016, 04:52:20 PM »
Sorry to hear of your spill. I'm glad you made it out in decent shape.

John Henry

Offline Cool Runnings

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2016, 04:56:48 PM »

Online normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2016, 05:44:32 PM »
I'm very, very glad to hear that you walked away from that one - that's amazing. I've never seen a front end broken like that.

Where did the front wheel wind up at ?
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2016, 05:44:32 PM »

Offline jetmechmarty

• Gosling
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2016, 06:09:15 PM »
The front wheel was 100 feet or so up the road.  One of the rotors is bent pretty bad.  I remember walking about in a haze trying to pick up the pieces while bystanders were trying to get me to sit.  Some nice woman gave me a cold bottle of water.  I felt myself coming to my senses at about the time the ambulance arrived. 

Yes Wayne.  Thanks for getting it running so well, and I'm sorry about the bad luck.  I jinxed you asking about bearings at the rally.

I love The Doors!

Come to think of it, I jinxed myself.  Before I left, I told a coworker, "Here's my password, in case I have wreck or something."
Marty (in Mississippi)
No Guzzi right now

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2016, 07:11:04 PM »
Glad you are okay. Damn man, that bike does not look good.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline radguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • N 44° 01.233 W 069° 41.267 ~ Midcoast, Maine USA
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2016, 07:16:50 PM »

Marty,
Geez Man, sorry to read this.  Heal well sir.  That Guzzi, as much as we love our motorcycles is just a thing, you are more.  Glad uou are here to tell us about the get off.

Best,
Rob
Current:
2004 EV Touring
'99 EV Hack
'76 V1000 'Vert
'80 SP 1000
2013 Harley FLHTC
'75 Triumph T160 Trident
'78 Triumph T140V Bonneville
'78 Yamaha XS 650
'88 Honda Hawk GT
'84 RZ350 KR
'71 Dalesman Trials

A VeeDub and an MGB...

The Journey is the Reward

Offline Nick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2016, 07:29:30 PM »
Hey Marty,
Sorry to read about your accident, and hope you'll get well soon.
Nick

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2016, 07:29:35 PM »
...when actually the radius was slightly decreasing...
Those bloomin' decreasing radius turns!
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

Offline Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2016, 07:35:44 PM »
Glad your ok!! Sorry to see the bike. It might be fixable, worth checking.

Heal quickly!
Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Offline jetmechmarty

• Gosling
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2016, 07:41:33 PM »
Those bloomin' decreasing radius turns!

That's what the guy at the wrecker place said!  He was well aware of the turn.  I didn't think it too bad.  It was just blind and I was not prepared for the unexpected.  It happens often, to many of us.  We usually get away with it.  Not this time!
Marty (in Mississippi)
No Guzzi right now

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2016, 08:37:21 PM »
That's what the guy at the wrecker place said!  He was well aware of the turn.  I didn't think it too bad.  It was just blind and I was not prepared for the unexpected.  It happens often, to many of us.  We usually get away with it.  Not this time!
I'm imagining the problem. The decreasing radius turn, especially when blind from the entry to the curve, requires a mental recalculation of the entire geometry of the turn, MID-TURN.  If attention is drawn away by something interesting (a tunnel, some other visual attraction...), then a problem may ensue. Again, so glad you lived to tell the tale.
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

Offline Thunderbutt

• Hatchling
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2016, 09:14:47 PM »
Jet- Glad to hear that your not injured seriously.  I'm over here in Hiawassee and have a pick up truck and loading ramps with me.  I ll be glad to help you go collect what's left of your bike when/if your ready.  Just let me know.

Jerry 
Current rides: 2000 V-11 Sport-SOLD, 2003 Aprilia Mille Haga Replica #125, 1975 Triumph T160, 2002 LeMans, 2008 Norge aka the silver bullet

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2016, 10:42:32 PM »
very lucky indeed!
I'll be back in Gainesville Wed. am. I have a truck and a trailer and will help you if you didn't have full coverage ins. if so they will own it.
just pm me.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Offline Duc-Duc-Goose

• New Egg
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2016, 12:38:58 AM »
Wow, the bike is a mess, and seeing the truck I was not encouraged to read on. But, so glad you came through this mishap as well as you did! Another good testimonial for gear, ...and leather!  :1: on considering a full face. Indeed, someone was watching over you. Hug your wife, she must have been terrified.

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2016, 04:04:04 AM »
Pleased to see you got out of that one! As others have said, bikes can be replaced, you, not so.

Heal well.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline Green1000S

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2016, 04:47:48 AM »
Bike looks badly damaged, I'm happy to hear you are only scuffed and dented. This had all the in incredients for a really bad outcome.... Speedy recovery, don't worry the bike, it's only plastic and aluminum.... I lost mine at the Dragon.
Lauri
2014 Green Stelvio NTX
2016 Stornello #101
1972 Bultaco Matador SD
2016 KTM Duke 390
49cc 1921 Guzzi Board Track Racer;-)
1968 Riverside MW 125
1972 Bultaco Matador M82 Six Days
2 Robin's + 1/2 doz other mopeds

Ciao!

Offline brlawson

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Si Fractum non sit, noli id reficere
« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2016, 06:34:42 AM »
Dang Marty! Glad to see you're ok. Maybe we shouldn't have taken that ride to Hwy 666.
B. Lawson
Madison, AL

'72 Suzuki Titan 500
'77 Yamaha RD400
'79 BMW R/65
'03 California Titanium
'10 Stelvio ABS
2000 v11 Sport

Online PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2016, 06:36:46 AM »
Marty, I am glad you are OK. I used to have the identical bike. I probably locked up the front wheel a dozen times. Most time I recovered but a few times the bike immediately slid down. Hard tires and HH brake pads are not a good combination.  Add to that on a turn its even more likely.
FWIW I have done dozens of track days and a few MSF courses so practice braking a lot. In a panic situation I am not sure it matters when you only have a second or two to react. Just too easy to grab too much brake. Think about a bike with ABS.

Pete
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 08:25:53 AM by PeteS »

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
  • It's never too late to be what you might have been
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2016, 07:14:03 AM »
Geez, Marty. Thank Goodness you're ok. The bike tells a story that you're current condition betrays. So glad that half helmet did it's job. I too love them, Really enjoy the air. After my recent get off, though, I took this picture in the ambulance....

Everywhere there's damage....my half helmet wouldn't have helped. reason for pause.

Best of luck while you tie up all the loose ends regarding the mishap.

'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2016, 08:08:01 AM »
That's a hard crash for sure, glad you are still with us, like you said it happens so fast when things go bad, most that destroy a bike that well at least have to hobble around for awhile!
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline tiger_one

• Learning about Guzzi
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Push Mountain
    • justjean
« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2016, 08:24:48 AM »
Don't know you, but glad you came out okay.  Makes me appreciate my "lean sensitive ABS".

14 KTM 1190 Adv

lucydad

« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2016, 08:32:18 AM »
Several mentions that ABS might have reduced the risk.  Interesting, and who knows if that is accurate?  I would say likely given my one ABS intervention event on the Triumph.

The curve/bridge/truck timing/lighting was a clear cascade risk event.  Hate those combinations.  Heal up.

Online PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2016, 08:50:42 AM »
Several mentions that ABS might have reduced the risk.  Interesting, and who knows if that is accurate?  I would say likely given my one ABS intervention event on the Triumph.

The curve/bridge/truck timing/lighting was a clear cascade risk event.  Hate those combinations.  Heal up.

I only mention ABS as an alternative but of all the bikes I have owned and ridden the EV was the most prone to front wheel lockup. I attributed it to a soft springing up front that would bottom out under hard braking and also the rear brake pedal being hard to use in a panic situation. Most of the time flat footed on the floor board you have to lift your foot then try to modulate the pedal. So you are stuck with the hand brake and having to pull hard to compensate for lack of rear brake. EVs are fine for putting around and otherwise do well in sport mode if you in the zone and paying attention. Not so good when the unexpected happens. I have locked the brakes on other bikes but only gone down on the EV.

Pete
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 08:53:25 AM by PeteS »

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2016, 09:07:31 AM »
I only mention ABS as an alternative but of all the bikes I have owned and ridden the EV was the most prone to front wheel lockup. I attributed it to a soft springing up front that would bottom out under hard braking and also the rear brake pedal being hard to use in a panic situation. Most of the time flat footed on the floor board you have to lift your foot then try to modulate the pedal. So you are stuck with the hand brake and having to pull hard to compensate for lack of rear brake. EVs are fine for putting around and otherwise do well in sport mode if you in the zone and paying attention. Not so good when the unexpected happens. I have locked the brakes on other bikes but only gone down on the EV.

Just change brake pad compounds to be more or less aggressive on the front or rear, to tune it like you want it.
Easy to do.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline jGuz

• New Egg
« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2016, 09:17:24 AM »
I'm glad to hear you're still with us!  I took a spill around a curve on my Ducati Monster and I, too, lost a few seconds of memory.  I remember entering the turn, and I remember ending up on my back, but nothing in between.  I had a 3/4 helmet with a plastic faceguard and that saved my face.
2019 Triumph Speed Twin
2015 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
2001 Ducati 748 (work in progress)

Online PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2016, 09:17:56 AM »
The last 40K miles I put on the bike I was running organic pads. Helped but it was still touchy.

Pete

Red Dog

« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2016, 12:35:14 PM »
Glad you're good.  Soon as you can start riding again.

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2016, 03:37:22 PM »
Geez, Marty. Thank Goodness you're ok. The bike tells a story that you're current condition betrays. So glad that half helmet did it's job. I too love them, Really enjoy the air. After my recent get off, though, I took this picture in the ambulance....

Everywhere there's damage....my half helmet wouldn't have helped. reason for pause.

Best of luck while you tie up all the loose ends regarding the mishap.

I do not have a photo of my full face Arai that saved everything from my ear to my jaw on a simple low side. My head banged the pavement after hitting gravel @ 45 MPH and the first thing I said to myself well my head is OK. I was quite sore otherwise. If I had had a 1/2 helmet I would have taken severe head injury. I got to work on time (I worked in the hospital that the ambulance took me to  :grin:) but took a week off for whiplash.
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline jetmechmarty

• Gosling
« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2016, 04:50:10 PM »
I can't say what would have happened to me if I wasn't wearing a helmet.  I'm sure it would have been quite unpleasant.  If it was full face, I can only guess what it would look like.  I suspect it would be messed up all the way down, including the face shield.  My goggles have road rash.  My helmet is damaged in front and on both sides.  Being DOT, it protected me in this accident.

Brakes?  No idea what happened.  I practice countersteering often.  What happened in a split second is out of my control.  I'm just glad I didn't stand the bike up and drive straight into the truck!  I'm here and I'm OK.  I'm good with that.

I sucked it up and went to work today.  I figured I can stay home and hurt or go to work and hurt.  I did fine.  Thank you all for the well wishes and offers for help.  I still haven't worked it out with the folks who have my bike.  I expect the best course of action is to go get it and part it out. 
Marty (in Mississippi)
No Guzzi right now

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here